AbridgedForums
What's Your Power Level? - Printable Version

+- AbridgedForums (http://www.abridgedforums.com)
+-- Forum: Abridging and Parody (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Critiques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: What's Your Power Level? (/showthread.php?tid=1030)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-15-2012 10:38 PM

I'm here to review your crap. Why am I entering the fray now of all times? 'Cause everybody's getting pissed about how everyone else is rating things, and I don't wanna be left out, I wanna be blamed at some point for crappy ratings too!

Here's what I'll do. I'll watch a video (no guaruntees that it'll be all the way through), I'll state a few opinions on it, and I'll give it an overall rating with your percentage of power as well as your ranking:
  1. S-Rank: 95-100%
  2. A-Rank: 80-94%
  3. B-Rank: 60-79%
  4. C-Rank: 40-69%
  5. D-Rank: 20-39%
  6. F-Rank: 01-19%
  7. Z-Rank: 0%
My judgement is as impartial as possible, and with an expectation of being entertained. NOT by how hard you worked on it, NOT by which series you did, NOT if you're a nice guy and play Pokeyman with me. Understood. I won't be holding back like I did in Tarukane's mansion, this is the REAL tournament battle now!

Submit your videos, nerds. Heck, I might just pick out a video on my own and junk.

pow

RE: What's Your Power Level? - mattroks101 - 11-15-2012 11:12 PM

This has over 800 views, now give me all the reasons it shouldn't! I'm serious! Don't hold back!

RE: What's Your Power Level? - Truthordeal - 11-15-2012 11:20 PM

Here, talk about my shit and boost my ego. Or you know, the opposite. Just to get the ball rolling:

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-15-2012 11:36 PM

>>>BACCANGO THE ABRUDGED OVU<<<

Mattroks, your style is very distinctive, and often times, I think I'll get really bored of it. but sometimes, you can pull off something really funny. Today, neither applies. It was good, not too good, not too bad.

I did enjoy how the fire effect was just plopped on top of the whole scene sometimes. I hear the phrase "not taking itself too seriously" in a good way, and I think that best describes it.

In summary, it was distinctly... "okay". Shame, I wanted to go to an extreme to prove I'm not afraid to do so, but I cannot tell a lie.

48%, C-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - AnimeLawyers - 11-15-2012 11:51 PM

Recently, our skype chat was pointing out how this didn't get enough discussion when it came out.

Now's the chance to get some decent feedback!

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-16-2012 12:01 AM

>>>Sands of Detructed Abrigged<<<

I...Uh... Oh darn. Okay.

Upon reflection, the only way I can describe the feeling of the video is this: I could not lose myself in it. This isn't difficult for me to do. I have a tendency to just forget about everything else when I watch a video, but for various reasons, I couldn't do it with this one. Why?

Varying mic qualities, can't do much to change this, so moving on. Voicing is okay, but much of it distinctly lacks energy and enunciation. I don't know who did whatever voices, but it was pretty much the entire cast. I basically could picture people behind their mics and recording.

The jokes are mostly bland, and the ones that are unexpected and more likely to get laughs, I didn't enjoy so much. The Bill Clinton thing is a good example. I would have laughed if the premise of the joke didn't disappointed me. Basically, the jokes weren't so much jokes, but just entertaining dialogue, in which the characters aren't as serious as in the show. That stuff doesn't make me laugh. Some people may like it, I don't.

Sorry if you expected me to boost your ego Angel Don't want to be rude, but I barely made it through watching this. I'd be more inclined to like it if the whole voicing/mic thing worked out, so if you can, try working on that.

22%, Lower D-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - concrete Building - 11-16-2012 12:35 AM

You saw it coming. I'm curious. Go.

RE: What's Your Power Level? - Truthordeal - 11-16-2012 08:24 AM

(11-16-2012 12:01 AM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  >>>Sands of Detructed Abrigged<<<

Mean things

22%, D-Rank

?(????) You...you don't like me? We can't be friends anymore? You don't wanna come over to my house and play video games?

No but seriously, I'm kind of surprised you didn't like it. I'm not really sure how the various mics threw you out that much, because I think that only Lego and BN had lower-grade mics compared to the rest. I dunno, I guess it's kind of different than what I got before because I mostly ended up with mild complaints back when I first posted it. I guess that means that you're not holding back and you're being honest, and really that's the best thing you can do.

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-16-2012 10:26 AM

(11-16-2012 08:24 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  

Mean things

22%, D-Rank

?(????) You...you don't like me? We can't be friends anymore? You don't wanna come over to my house and play video games?

No but seriously, I'm kind of surprised you didn't like it. I'm not really sure how the various mics threw you out that much, because I think that only Lego and BN had lower-grade mics compared to the rest. I dunno, I guess it's kind of different than what I got before because I mostly ended up with mild complaints back when I first posted it. I guess that means that you're not holding back and you're being honest, and really that's the best thing you can do.

What can I say, atmosphere means a lot to me, and I find it hard to lose myself in it when I can tell that it's just a bunch of people recording stuff for an anime parody. It just kinda threw me off. The VAing could also have a bit more energy (and one or two parts DEFINITELY needed more enunciation).

After all of that, what's left? Editing doesn't affect me either way, and then the script just struck me as "entertaining conversation" with a few other jokes thrown in. And that "entertaining conversation" style really has a hard time working if it doesn't seem realistic.

Sorry if that doesn't make any more sense than the first time. It's hard for me to pin-point what the problems with this video are for some reason. Either way, my rating shows exactly how much I enjoyed it, so sorry, but that's how the crumble cooks

>>>SCHOOL TUMBLE RUNED ABRGED<<<

Okay, some of the same problems as SANDS kept popping up, but to a lesser extent, so I got a bit more enjoyment out of it. Basically, there are two major problems with the video.

Voicing: The main character was done by a girl. I don't know who. But whoever she is, she definitely needs more energy. She's not bad, but even so, if she holds back even a little, it's hard to find it as enjoyable. On multiple occasions, enunciation was also a problem. It felt to me like some of you only recorded one take for each line, and were okay with it if you stumbled over your words a bit. My advice for that? Be a lot more picky about what gets let into the final production. Also, the motorbike riding guy? The Kamina guy? Something about the voice for him is not good. I'm all for silly voices, but this is definitely lacking something. And if I had to guess, I'd say this one's in need of a bit more energy as well. See if you can work on that.

Joks: Some were good, some were genuinely clever, many needed better delivery; but what I didn't like was that the "ending jokes" (that is, a joke that finishes off the opening scene and the joke that rounds off the video before the stingers) were just...blrgh. That is to say, they weren't funny even if they HAD been performed better. You're allowed to have weaker jokes in your video (I call them transitional jokes, because they keep the video flowing), but you used them in the places where it's most important to get a laugh. I recommend, that if it's necessary, take extra time to make sure those jokes are good. and make sure they're performed well.

So, I think those were the main issues.

I give it 36%, which is a D-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - LightningCrabz - 11-16-2012 12:06 PM

(11-16-2012 10:26 AM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  Joks: Some were good, some were genuinely clever

I dunno, I've never considered Jocks to be too clever. Too much sports on the brain, yknow?

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-16-2012 02:32 PM

>>>NARTO SHIRUPIN AGRIBBED<<<

I don't think of the word bad, no, this feeling seems more like... novice-ness...

In other words, it really seems like everyone is still getting into the swing of how to do things like voice acting and scripting. Let me give my review based on each piece an how you might be able to improve them.

Editing: This was the best part, sound effects were done very well, mouth flaps existed, but it was very obvious when you slowed down some of the footage. Try to avoid that too much; if you can, just keep it at normal speed and add a different shot (if nothing else is available, use a shot of the scenery). Also, it looked like there were some glitchy parts in there. Idunno what it is, but try and fix any of those occurrences before considering the video is complete.

Voicing: Not...bad. Sakura's voice was probably the best. However, she still needs to be able to be louder when necessary (like fight scenes). Naruto's voice needs more energy, to be fuller, to project more. Kakashi's voice was too bland. It felt like he was reading everything with the same inflections. I remember hearing that speech patterns are like a song. If that's the case, Kakashi's voice is a broken record that repeats the same 6 notes over and over again. He needs variation and more emotion.

Scripting: Nothing was really funny. It seemed that if you couldn't think of anything funny right away, you fell back on using a sex-joke. I can't give much advice on this, mostly because humor is just something you can't improve with words, just practice. My advice is to just get practice by casting around for 2 or 3 different jokes that can work for the scene, and pick the best of them. Then, if the joke isn't good enough (you can ask someone for help, though maybe not close friends, because they could just laugh at anything for your sake) then retry the process until you find a really funny joke. If you're the slightest bit uncomfortable with a joke, keep tweaking it or changing it completely until you find something that really works. Don't just stick with it for the sake of moving on to the next joke.

So yeah. You still have a lot to learn, but you're off to a not-so-bad start.

29%, D-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - CrasherSurge - 11-16-2012 03:07 PM

Go easy on me. I cry easily. Sad

RE: What's Your Power Level? - Stephan - 11-16-2012 04:16 PM

Sure, why not? Here, have at it:

(11-16-2012 03:07 PM)CrasherSurge Wrote:  Go easy on me. I cry easily. Sad

Don't go easy on him. I want to see him cry.

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-18-2012 01:13 AM

>>>BAKKUBRODGED<<<

I didn't laugh, nor even smile once. for several reasons. But before I get into them, the editing (in general) was good, and the voice actors, while still needing a fair amount of practice, also weren't bad.

Now, a major problem was dead space. I felt like I would've laughed at the jokes if I didn't have time to think of the punchline before you could deliver it. I think quick and unexpected deliveries will be a lot of help in that respect. Humor is derived from unexpected-ness. Like, seriously, humor is truly based on learning something new, in an unexpected way. So don't give people 3 seconds to predict the punchlines, just get to it. A lot of things could've been sped up as well (example: when they were activating their baku-balls, or whatever they're called).

The jokes themselves seem very uninspired. Honestly, it feels like rough draft material. The only exception was that the Bakugan was the guy's mother, but then you said the same thing 3 more times, and that got tiring. But the other jokes... let's see: sex joke, mistaken gender joke, unnecessary neglect of a certain character joke, etc. These are all worn out joke categories. If you really want to get laughs, you really need to branch out more into uncharted waters. Think of something new and clever. Or else this will just be another half-okay abridged series swept up in the rush of other mediocre videos.

Still, I didn't have a problem watching it all the way through, so at least your presentation is acceptable to a degree, you just need more practice on that.

I give it a 30%, D-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - mattroks101 - 11-19-2012 06:55 PM

After reading this thread again, I just realized that my episode has the highest rank... People, you can do better.

RE: What's Your Power Level? - Gigguk - 11-19-2012 08:53 PM

Go on, lets give this a go:

RE: What's Your Power Level? - deathlymuffins - 11-19-2012 10:58 PM

>>>Sam or I Sham-pooh<<<

When I start these things, I want to start out with a strong lasting phrase that will set the mood for the following review. I can't think of a good one for this, so we'll settle for "decent" and take it from there.

Let me just say, the title bit was good. I don't know how much work you put into that, but it looked very clean and just overall great. Editing throughout the rest was standard to me, nothing stood out as good or bad.

Voices and audio were good, but I'd just like to point this out; Mickey O'Irishman's mic needs a pop filter. That was just a minor thing that irked me. Or just hold a piece of cloth in front of the mic, or turn it away slightly or something; helpful hint. Also, the woman-lady's mic was noticeably worse, but not by much, so I won't say anything bad about it. Don't go out of your way to get a better one, it's decent, as is.

Ah... Scripting, the most important part of a video's entertainment value. It wasn't fantastic, nor great. It hovers just below "good", I think. Many parts felt very well thought-out, but few were funny. Bargaining for alcohol in the beginning went on too long in my opinion. The people's description of the flaming hobo was quite amusing. The back-and-forth between the Englishman and the Irishian was, as I said before, well thought out and entertaining to an extent. But it was just a drawn-out "look! we're stereotypes!" skit. Nah, don't make that half the video, especially as nothing truly funny came from it.

Nit-picking here, but pointing out an odd face by saying "what's wrong with your face" is old and stupid. That's why you put it at the end of the video, I'm sure, but I recommend either making a joke out of it, or just pointing it out to friends when conversation gets slow, and leave it at that.

So yeah. okay script, average (or above) everything else.

61%
B-Rank

RE: What's Your Power Level? - Stephan - 11-20-2012 11:45 AM

(11-19-2012 10:58 PM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  Mickey O'Irishman's mic needs a pop filter. That was just a minor thing that irked me.

That's the only part I feel the need to point out is incorrect. I did the voices for both the British and Irish characters, and I used my pop filter for both, so that's not the problem. However, the character emphasizes the hard sounds, so the popping was actually coming from the way I was speaking rather than air going into the mic.

But anyway, that's enough of me nitpicking, thanks for the critique! Smile

RE: What's Your Power Level? - ZoidsBN0 - 12-04-2012 01:32 AM

(11-16-2012 08:24 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  

Mean things

22%, D-Rank

It was my old house that ruined my quality. Now that I moved and have smaller spaces to control it has gotten better.

RE: What's Your Power Level? - ThroneofCipher - 12-04-2012 01:34 AM

Hi. deathlymuffins. Hi. Hey. Sup.

So, I'm a junior up and comer for the one shot championship cup this spring and I need to train my funny bones to be at their Seinfeld level and to hope one day reach the legendary status of "MENTcia". Will you evaluate my past training and see if I'm doing it write 0r s0m3th1ng.