New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Serious Discussion About The Editing Process
11-11-2012, 12:45 AM
A Serious Discussion About The Editing Process
Well we had quite the argument about editing on the forums, so let's discuss it seriously and maturely here. What actually counts as editing? What is actually not editing, but directing/writing?

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 12:51 AM
RE: A Serious Discussion About The Editing Process
If it involves an editing program, it's editing

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
11-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Basically what 1kids just said.

Editing is the actual process of cutting and splicing the clips, as well as finalizing the idea of the director, and putting that onto screen. And writing and directing are 2 different things as well, as writing is the process of creating the words, dialogue, story, etc. and directing is the interpretation of that same script, and basically making the actors execute that interpretation or idea, which involves alot of translating.

Now as far as editing goes, I'm quite sure alot of people mistake this process as just making fancy lip flaps. News Flash: It's not. Lip flaps are really just an extra bit that's now a staple of the abridging genre. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. It makes the picture look cleaner. But at the end of the day, what we really need to focus on is the cutting of the clips, which ones we choose and why, and yes, making sure our pacing works.

But I think our question here should be: What is good editing, and what is not? We've discussed the things that actually go into editing, which is fine. But what's really the difference between good and bad editing?

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes concrete Building's post
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Effort. Next question.
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I don't know about that. Effort's certainly the difference between having decent lipflaps, footage and effects and having shitty ones, but it takes a certain level of knowledge to grasp pacing and comedic timing, wouldn't you agree?

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 12:57 PM by Stephan.)
(11-12-2012 11:41 AM)Innagadadavida Wrote:  Effort. Next question.

Well, some people put in plenty of effort and still manage to have terrible editing. I'd say those people just need to get someone else to edit their videos, but someone can put in plenty of effort and still edit horribly.

I'd say(beyond skill and/or talent) you need patience, an eye for detail, and a good sense of comedic timing. Without those things I don't think you can be a very good editor. For abridged series specifically an at least basic understanding of the process of animation helps as well. You don't need to know squash and stretch or anything too in-depth, but at least understanding how the process of lip-syncing works in anime.

And then beyond that in my personal experience it helps to know After Effects and Photoshop and to have the ability to draw your own lip flaps and such. It'll open up way more possibilities for shots you can use and visual-oriented jokes you can do. And sometimes you can just use it to enhance already good jokes and just make things visually more interesting and make your stuff stand out that much more.

You could just outsource that kind of stuff to other people with those skills, but to be able to do it on a whim is very freeing when I'm editing and don't want to interrupt the process.

EDIT: It turns out Truth already said one of the things I was going to say. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 03:31 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
I think Inna's only missing one element: Experience.

This video
took more effort (which I measure in hours) for me to make than this video

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Experience, knowledge, skill are almost synonymous according to Lockean theory. And yes, I get all of my morals and opinions from an Englishman from the seventeenth century.

For serious though, with experience usually comes knowledge and skill, even though there are those four or five people that are naturally good at sensing those things.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I feel that the old adage "Practice makes perfect" would fit here.

I am still learning as an editor, but I already see an improvement between what I did 5 months ago and what I'm doing now. I think the best thing for newcomers like myself to do is just edit. Keep trying until you get to something you actually like. The more work you put into something, the greater the return

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
(11-11-2012 12:45 AM)mattroks101 Wrote:  Well we had quite the argument about editing on the forums, so let's discuss it seriously and maturely here. What actually counts as editing? What is actually not editing, but directing/writing?

(11-11-2012 12:51 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  If it involves an editing program, it's editing

What Mike said. I'm not really sure where the confusion is here...
12-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:But what's really the difference between good and bad editing?

In my opinion, it's consistency. If you've got footage that is in 720p HD, you have to have good audio quality and good lip flaps. There's nothing more distracting than amazing visuals paired with audio that sounds like blast furnace dubstep with lip syncing a la Episode 4 of Guren Lagaan. I'm not saying stuff that's [insert pixel joke here] is exempt from good editing practice, but generally people will overlook it in favour of how good voice acting and writing is. Hey, no body was complaining about how badly Kaiba's lips were in Episode 1 of YGOTAS.

I'd also agree with 1Kids that experience is even more of a factor than effort. Hey, we all give way at some point, and it's knowing where that point is that makes the difference. Good editing isn't running out of things to add, it's running out of things to take away. Experience shows that in spades.

GOD THAT WAS PREACHY.

Heart ~ I'LL PLAY MYSELF OUT ~ Heart
[Image: Xul_Se.gif]

Editor, Writer, VA
Darker than Black - Hyperabridged
My VA Channel (Sokka Shorts/RANGER DOOWOP)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)