New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Poll: Fight me, Nerd
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
What's Your Power Level?
12-04-2012, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 01:34 PM by TwooGiz.)
RE: What's Your Power Level?
I know the editing and mic issues are here just focus on the jokes. Plz Plz Plz! I never have heard what you had to say about this so I'd just like to know. Shy

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwooGiz's post
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Aw darnit, my inbox is getting kinda full, so let's clear out this review

>>>A-Van-Jelly-Ann=A-Bridge-Duh<<<

I don't recall watching this before, nor do I remember any reviews about it, so, good! A clean slate!

This was pretty darn good, if you'll excuse my colorful language. Voicing was great (audio-quality for the mics was acceptable to great as well), video was fine, though, I noticed some of the lip flaps seemed to just switch between open and closed with no transition. Though, it could just be my computer streaming the video slowly, 'cause I was downloading something. Anyway.

The only flaw I could possibly find in this otherwise fantastic video was the humor. Eh, very little was actually funny. Despite most of the deliveries being perfect, the script behind them seemed lacking. It's all of the various jokes I had heard before, but just molded to fit Evangelion. In fact the only part that caught me off guard enough to get a laugh out of me was "I have a boner". That makes me sad, because now I sound incredibly immature for having laughed ONLY at that joke. So yeah, the jokes just seem very systematic, and it's hard for me to advise how to make it more appealing because, for one, I don't think I'd know better, and two, many people who are not me may still like it a lot, so I don't feel like it's my place to change something that most people don't have a problem with.

Still, this score is based on how much I enjoyed the video, and while I didn't find the humor to be all that great, it was still decent, with well-done acting and presentation!

78%, Upper B-Rank

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
04-27-2013, 10:26 PM
>>>Nick of Cipher's To Word The Tear-uh The Ab Rigged Won Shop<<<

I liked this video overall, but each individual piece of it, I hated.

First of all, the static-y screen was hilarious, truly top notch.

But what really made me lose it was "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Remove Your Media LLC." It's one of those jokes that really make you think

Also, how did you get it to go on forever and ever? I thought the youtube limit was 10 hours but I sat and watch the static screen for at least 17

Hated it, it was great

B% out of 4#

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
[+] 2 users Like deathlymuffins's post
04-27-2013, 10:33 PM
(04-27-2013 10:26 PM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  Also, how did you get it to go on forever and ever? I thought the youtube limit was 10 hours but I sat and watch the static screen for at least 17

Obviously Nick has friends in high places at youtube.

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
04-27-2013, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 10:44 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>Frog OOh Man TWOO, Bakugain Harder (the bakuman parody, jeez)<<<

This. This is. I can't even give it an unbiased feedback, also, I'm really late to the party on this one, but here goes.

I simply cannot watch this video to the normal standards I have. Normally, I do something like, put on magic glasses that make me see a video through the eyes of a child (or just a non-cynic), but this video makes the glasses for me and adds the big nose and mustache to it. I just laugh at the most immature things and stuff. I suppose that's just because it's really well done and it feels like most of it was fun for you to make.

I'm biased positively, as almost all of the voice actors are my friendos, but still, even from them, these were better performances than I expected. Kirran the Moongobber was especially funny in this. He's great when he actually puts energy into his lines because when he doesn't I haVE TO ASK FOR REDOS AND HE DOESN'T RESPOND IN TIME AND I HAVE TO RECAST HIM AND S-

Some parts felt very slow in this one, the scenes where they are in their drawing room with all the manga books in the background are quite boring by comparison. Just make those go faster or don't do them if you don't do funny things in them.

The "nervous shits" was an unsatisfactory sequel to the previously-loved joke from episode one, but kudos for the effort.

Ugh, that's it I guess. Can't think of anything else.

91% because you gained exponential power from seeing the death of your friend but it doesn't really reflect what your true strength should be, but who cares it gets results. A Rank

05-19-2013, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 12:58 PM by ThatCoolKidWithTheMetalPole.)
Alright, this is my first attempt at this whole abridging thing. How'd I do?

EDIT: Nevermind, I need to change a couple things and reupload.
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Alright, it's working much better now.

Find all posts by this user
05-28-2013, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 07:49 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>Spac-Ticular SpidderMen Adridged<<<

Ummm. This won't be so much as a review as what tips I think would help you most.

-Video quality. Please try to find better quality. I don't really mind stuff that's a bit blurry, but it's almost hard to see what's going on at some poinst. It also needs to be rendered in something better than a toaster because even the subtitles were quite blurry. Look around the web for a nice editor and see if you can get better footage (from DVD rips, preferably. Support the official release, nerds)

-Editing. With anime, it's easy to take a still shot and loop it, play back single frames, etc. without there being much of a problem. But this is not the case for this 'Murican animation. My advice is, unless you get a good editor and learn the in's-and-out's of lipflaps and masking, just try to leave the footage as unbroken and not-in-pieces as possible. It's simply jarring to see them twitch back and forth for each syllable. I'd rather the lip flaps be simply incorrect.

-Audio. Voice acting wasn't bad. it's a decent start, try to make the characters sound more distinctive though. As for the mic quality, it seems that you noise-removed the lines (or maybe a software did it for you), but it is really obvious when it is noise removed to that degree. Try and record in a quieter setting so there isn't as much noise to remove.

-Script. Humor is a person's individual tastes in a video, so I never like telling people how to do it. But most of the script wasn't your individual sense of humor, so I'll have at it. I've heard some lines in this that I've heard in other popular abridged series'. Maybe you didn't do it on purpose, I don't know. Either way, they were bland enough that they should've been cut anyway.

The subtitles for the vulture were not fun. Firstly, they disappeared before I could read them. To try and get in on the joke, I have to wait for the next ones to come up and try to read them fast enough. When I could see them, they kept saying the same character-gimmick over and over again. It's good when you have a minor character with a gimmick, but that's because it's a good humorous device to take a concept that the audience knows, and then change it in a way they won't expect. This guy kept shouting about how someone was his child or something...

"Drugs, lol" is not a joke. Please try to avoid this whole topic, as few people do it right, and the ones who can just don't want to. Mentioning drugs, how characters do drugs, how they want drugs, what they do to get drugs; these things alone aren't funny. You can use them as the setup of a joke if you want, but make sure there is an actual joke in there. I think it's best just to avoid them until you can set up your own style of humor.

Most people quit after I tell them all the things they need to do to make a decent comedy video, and I'm hard-pressed to believe you won't do the same. So please, PLEASE prove me wrong. I want you to come back in a month or two with a better video. Not a "great" video, not even a "good" one. Just "better". Please. I need some hope that people can really improve themselves.

Okay, thank you for listening to me ramble my nonsense, and have a pleasant day.

05-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Here's my latest ep
05-31-2013, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 07:48 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>Sole E-durra bri dged<<<

Okay, jumping straight in, and I'm reviewing as I go.

The "Last time on Soul Eater Abridged" bit wasn't funny, and it didn't need to be included. I've never seen any of your previous episodes, but apparently you just redefined the characters and then did a lame 4th-wall joke by having someone with a lazily copy-pasted jpeg kill the narrator. It shoulda just been left out.

I'm counting a lot of references that aren't exactly funny. Particularly where that popular Journey song was mis-quoted. The Naruto bit, where he just pops up for the purpose of being slightly angry? Not great. If you're going to bother having a reaction shot to a lazy reference, then please make some kind of punchline. Repeating bits aren't funny unless an element in there is changed for the sake of a punchline. That's what makes something funny. Literally, scientific studies have shown that it's something unexpected that makes us laugh. So repeating the guy falling off his rolling chair (or whatever) should not have a punchline like him falling off his rolling chair.

I'm noticing the mixing is not very good. The girl and Death are hard to hear right now. Work on that. Sound effects aren't bad, but, again, the mixing with them and the music could be a bit better.

Having the older guy look at a pair of breasts is not a joke. Guy saying the same girl has no breasts is not a joke. I've been mailing Anime Inc. for years now, telling them that, but they just won't listen. But you should. Please.

Um. Did you just take a clip from a different video, and use what they said as the entire joke? Uh. Uh. uh....

Did you just take the entire plot of an episode of a harem anime and use that as the joke? Compared to that, the Sydsnapple joke was actually good. Sorry to be sounding mean right now, but I'm having a hard time having any other reaction to that whole bit.

4th-wall jokes of voice actors complaining about their voices aren't funny. If you want them to be, say something funny in them, add a punchline.

A highly irrelevant reference to South Park, that no one who watched that episode of South Park would understand.

I couldn't understand half of what they were saying in the end bit.

Okay, so overall, this needs a LOT of scripting work. Mainly adding jokes. Instead of blatantly taking from other sources. I don't think there was a genuine joke in there that hasn't obviously done before or wasn't taken from somewhere else. Try making more than a rough draft of the script for the next episode. Also, put more thought into the rough draft in the first place. It honestly feels like you just tried to finish it off as soon as possible to get to the next steps. Please make more of an effort to write legitimate jokes. I can stand references, even if they are a bit lazy, I can still enjoy them. But these ones weren't even clever at all. Please just try harder with scripting. And mixing. Mixing needs a lot of work.

I'm giving you an actual rank, because this isn't your first rodeo. Though I like to avoid these kinds of ranks because it makes me look like a prickle-puss.

8%, F-Rank

05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 07:53 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>In Isshel DEEab rid jd<<<

I'm finding the review-as-I-go thing very efficient, so let's try that again.

The first minute had no jokes in it, friend. It looks like the opening to a tv show that doesn't take itself too seriously, but not really a comedy show.

It's still just dialogue that isn't too serious. For a comedy video, an "abridged" video specifically, it's just not great. I amn't having trouble with any other aspects so far, but 2:20 in, and I have yet to crack a smile.

Sometimes one of the voice actors seems to move closer to the mic, then sits back again to finish the rest of the line. I like it when you's closer. Are the speakers on the outside of the car and not the inside? That's what it sounds like based on the mixing.

5:16, I finally recognize a decent joke, but before this, I was seriously considering whether you pasted "abridged" onto a fandub.

This isn't very entertaining. 1 minute of anime taunting then "but I'm not a bitch" then more anime dialogue. This isn't jokes, I don't get it.

The bit with the guy coughing over the girl was good there. I notice people do tend to talk over each other a LOT in this video though.

The letter bit was pretty good.

Okay, so I'm not spotting many funny spots in here. you need to work on pacing and cut out 9 minutes of videos, or work on more jokes, in my opinion. The editing was good, mixing, not bad, voicing, not bad, and overall dialogue, not terrible. The problem is, you just like anime dialogue too much for a comedy. I think that's the big point of this.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to put a low-grade sticker on this

18%, F-Rank

[+] 1 user Likes deathlymuffins's post
06-06-2013, 12:04 AM

06-06-2013, 06:40 PM
My latest episode:

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
06-13-2013, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 01:12 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>Bah Coob Ridd Jd Foehr (Bakubridged 4)<<<

This was an episode of an abridged series.

Okay, first thing of note, this is well done on many levels.

-Level the first: Great dialogue. Witty, natural, generally appealing, just overall great stuff. It simply felt smooth and natural, and that stuff infinitely adds to the overall feel of a video (and I'm all about the general "feel" of an episode, so big plus points there)

-Level the second: Good voice acting is good (for the most part). Not professional level, but it's everything I want or expect from a video that I want to laugh at.

-Level the threed: Good editing. Again, it felt smooth and natural and was goodly paced. Goodly paced indeed. Goodly.

Problems I had were as follows:

-The mic for the blue haired chick. Something was off about it. I can't tell what exactly. Maybe she's too close, maybe she's holding a pillow in front of her mic, maybe it's normalized or noise-removed too much, I simply do not know. But it was just off-putting compared to the other good mic qualities. Not to mention the quality of said mic kept changing, as if the acteress was circling around the mic. idunno. Figure out what it is and get back to me so I can tell you to fix it.

-The bleeps were a bit much, in the sense that they were a bit too loud, and they weren't placed correctly for maximum bleep-funny-ratio. I like to ensure that I include the first consonant sound and maybe even the slightest fraction of the verb sound for the swear words that I bleep.

-The humor. As much as the dialogue was entertaining, the humor in it was not laugh-out-loud material. It was humorous banter, yes, but not humorous jokes. As for the bleep thing, it felt like you were relying on the bleeps since it had no punchline. Misinterpreted sexual jokes were seen coming from entire meters away, though, not necessarily done poorly. So yeah, not what I wanted, but it also seems like you might be really comfortable with just how it is. Personally, I always had a hard time seeing humor in stuff like this, based on WTS's stuff (and if I'm remembering correctly, he liked your stuff, and probably for the similarity thing I'm seeing). But, as I say, this is how much IIIIIIIIIIII enjoyed it, so tough luck bub.

Overall, it really wasn't bad. As much as humor is important to me, it wasn't really left out so much as it was kinda faded into the dialogue. Editing, voicing, and other is all fairly good, and I can safely say that I enjoyed this video to the following extent.

66% Upper-Lower-Middle B-Rank

06-14-2013, 02:12 AM
(06-13-2013 02:08 PM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  The mic for the blue haired chick. Something was off about it. I can't tell what exactly. Maybe she's too close, maybe she's holding a pillow in front of her mic, maybe it's normalized or noise-removed too much, I simply do not know. But it was just off-putting compared to the other good mic qualities. Not to mention the quality of said mic kept changing, as if the acteress was circling around the mic. idunno. Figure out what it is and get back to me so I can tell you to fix it.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. You see, one of the sides
of the audio levels (idk if it was right or left) was lower than the other so it sounded a bit odd but I kind of ignored it because ElkaChan was
having issues with time. The reason why it was changing because I asked for redo's and I guess she fixed the quality a bit with the redo's. But in the end, she fixed the quality a bit better so there won't be problems w/ her mic.

I appreciate the feedback, Doodymoose-fins~ Psychotic Grin
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 01:03 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>In OOya shaduble YU Tee-effa bridjmanth (InuYasha WTF AbridgeMENT)<<<

The time has come.

So starting out, I notice people talk really really fast. That's okay. The actors sound like they handle it very well, so it's good.

Then they make references and jokes about how references are bad. A little overdone for my taste. It seems everyone who has heard it, has heard it 1,44215,513.63 times, and those who haven't wouldn't find it that funny.

The bit where they stand still for the lightning is good, because despite it being exactly what I expected, the delivery was not, and therefore it was funny.

The guy who suddenly says Pikachu in the middle of his sentence is good, but it didn't seem to be followed up by anything strong enough to get a laugh.

I don't know if the lightning guy was just a character with an airy voice or was whisper-yelling. Either way, if a person has an airy voice, when they get loud, they should lose some of that in order to make the yelling sound fuller.

I think that's it. Nothing else much stood out to me. It's hard for me to give advice on humor, as this is not my style, and I know little to nothing of it. It's easy to understand basic joke structure, but for stuff that's set up to try and be solely unexpected and random, it makes it a bit more difficult. At the very least, you seem to be getting very good at managing the randomness in clever ways, and I hope that in time, this can be something I'd enjoy picking up and watching. But just practice some more.

My rating, you ask? Well okay, why not:
52% Mid C-Rank

09-08-2013, 08:08 PM
>>>Abridged Video<<<
I hated this one

no percent, V-rank

09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Here Ben, I'll give you something horrible to watch:

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I HAVE RETURN'D AGAIN, OH GREAT ONE!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)