New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Poll: Fight me, Nerd
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
What's Your Power Level?
09-10-2013, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 01:46 AM by DivineMalzar.)
RE: What's Your Power Level?
lmfao at the naruto video... I liked the electric anime batman one to. XD lol.

lolol @ bakubridged episode 4 such a good abridged series lolz. XDDDDD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DivineMalzar's post
09-10-2013, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 08:05 PM by deathlymuffins.)
Firstly I'd like to thank DivineMalzar for taking the time and energy to review these videos on my thread.
>>>Licorice AnnieMay Bathman 6: Electric Boogaloo<<<
By Mattroks101

This was a thing by Mattroks101 and, thus, comes with all of the things I like and don't like so much about stuff by Mattroks101. I won't spend much time talking about mattroks tropes, so I'll just make a handy-dandy pin-up list (please use this as reference for all future mattroks reviews unless otherwise instructed):
  • Repeating things until they get old, and then repeating them again
  • Everyone sounds like wavy-voice mattroks, gruff-voice mattroks, or high-pitched-voice mattroks
  • Self-deprecation
  • Classic back-and-forth between someone who explains whats wrong with what the other person is saying/doing. 2nd person often coming up with crazy phrases involving unexpected things.

Putting all that aside. This is relatively good. The premise, aside from being eternally repeated, was fun, and tied the story together well. Stuff was funny, and the cat was pretty cool. I generally enjoyed it. It's hard to say much else, as you've been well practiced at this. So, yeah. Good.

I give this a 58% Top-ish C-Rank

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes deathlymuffins's post
09-10-2013, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 08:01 PM by TheAwesomeDarkNinja.)
Hello, Broski. Do you mind reviewing this one for me by any chance?

It's my first one, and I know it needs work. I just need to know how much work is needed for it to become a good Abridged Series. It's another Darker Than Black Abridged.

I have just added to your conversation.
[Image: ajdodwp.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes TheAwesomeDarkNinja's post
09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
(09-10-2013 05:40 PM)TheAwesomeDarkNinja Wrote:  Hello, Broski. I was looking for someone with brutally honest anime reviews.
Do you mind reviewing this one for me by any chance?

It's my first one, and I know it needs work. I just need to know how much work is needed for it to become a good Abridged Series. It's another Darker Than Black Abridged.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
[+] 1 user Likes walter's post
09-22-2013, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 08:05 PM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>May I Hit This With My Foot? A Narood-Oh Paroty<<<
By CrasherSurge

This does exactly what it means to do, which is be a fun little parody without any real plot or consequences, and it obviously pulls this off incredibly well. I enjoyed several of the jokes and pretty much every other aspect of the video was above-par, so yeah, well done and stuff!

I guess the microphones could be better, but I didn't really care at all, they are good and not distracting to the video. Voice acting was the same, in that regard.

I didn't really like the more obvious puns on Rock Lee's name or punchline or any of that. Those are used often, and the "Ha, I get it" is used nearly as often, that it just didn't register with me. That's the worst part though, which is still saying something.

Let's see here...having trouble keeping track of how to rate this... here we go.

79% Top B-Rank(AKA: Good stuff)

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
[+] 1 user Likes deathlymuffins's post
09-29-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 02:13 PM by ArkaKun.)

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
[+] 1 user Likes ArkaKun's post
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Made this back in the Summer and just wondering how it ranks.

AngelThere's No Bigger Star Then An AngelStar.
[+] 1 user Likes Jacob AngelStar's post
09-29-2014, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 04:14 AM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>Ikagure Wet Ef Mint (Inuyasha WTF MENT #)<<<

If I could think of one word to describe this, it would be "extremely okay". I can tell that the voice actoring has reached some good stability, and the pacing is quite well done for something you seem to be new at (I didn't go back to your old episodes for reference of the change though, so I guess I'll never be sure). Almost everything at a presentation standpoint is very acceptable, so that's definitely a good job to you there.

As for stuff not so good, I think I heard something about Truth getting headaches from lipflaps in previous episodes, so good job on that maybe. I have notice, though, that they still aren't perfect. The very first shot has some color differentiation between the mouth and the rest of the face. It's kind of off-putting and when it's the first shot of the video, it risks many people being turned off to it immediately. There are also some parts where I can see a still mouth mostly-cut-off but still a little there behind the moving parts.

As for the comedic bits, it was quite okay as well, though suffering in a couple of sub-categories. Firstly, it has a lot of classic abridging gags that I'm tired of by now (maybe other people aren't, but I consider everyone except me to be dumb, therefore, I'm the best source of knowledge about this). The hitting something, realizing it doesn't work, then hitting it again multiple times, the character saying a plothole, realizing it, then saying something in tangent to "screw it, I'm doing it anyways", and cutting away from the action for a single moment to realize something crazy has happened in that moment. These things on there own aren't too bad, but there's just a lot of them in this video, and being the seasoned comedian that I am (and also handsome) I could sense a pattern and begin to predict these sorts of jokes. Should you necessarily change it? Neh... Should you consider trying to reach out for even better jokes after you've found a 'decent' one? Yeh...

I don't know much of Kim Jong Un other than that he's a not-cool guy who runs a country, so that last joke flew over my head. Maybe it was meant to make no sense whatsoever, but then referring to a real person who has facts that people may not know of will just confuse the point of whether or not they missed something. A risky joke like that is not smart to put as an end-joke.

So yeah, as said before, Extremely okay. 53%, Somewhere-Near-C-Rank. Take it or leave it, nerds

>>>Neh-gay-neh-lie (No Game No Life Thing)<<<

This one seems like a good one to critique as I watch.

-Opening Disclaimer: Most people in this day and age agree that disclaimers aren't necessary, and even making jokes with them are tacky and overdone. For a moment, it sounds like the guy gets cut off by the girl voice, and I thought it would lead into a joke, but then the guy and girl voice just switch back and forth. It kind of gives an unprofessional vibe, and considering a disclaimer isn't necessary in the first place, I can say without having watched any more of the video that it would be better without it.

-Opening Sequence: The sound mixing on this was okay, but the first thing that caught my eye is the video quality, it makes me think the quality of the rest of the video won't be good if a black screen has blocks of different shades of gray all over it. The sound mixing is good considering I think it would be difficult to have a bunch of different noise with distinct sounds in there that the audience can easily hear, so that's good. Then the sequence ends with just a pseudo-philosophical phrase that has no hint of a joke. If this a comedy, then remember that the spot just before the opening sequence is prime real-estate for a good joke.

-Title sequence: The video quality isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. The opening is too long, I'd personally recommend you trim 15 seconds of it. Unless there's something genuinely interesting happening, then there's really nothing worth spending so much viewer time on.

-Before they sleep: In this day and age, taking clips from TV shows to say what you could've said on your own is kind of a no-no. It didn't really add anything. The HP dropping 3% has the potential of a good joke, it just needs to be honed. The beauty sleep thing didn't seem like a joke. it felt like the sparkly-view of the girl being pretty was supposed to be the punchline, but I'm afraid it's not. Japan's not good at making jokes because they just think things that are pretty or sexual are funny, but I urge proper comedians to not follow Japan's lead. You also put a lot of time into the 'them going to bed at 8 in the morning joke' but that seems to just be something the show did to make a humorous observation and thus doesn't deserve the time given to it by this parody unless it was to make a separate joke.

-After they sleep: Similarly to the beauty-sleep thing, the dirty dreaming thing was just there with no consequence. The chess sequence also had potential. Work off stuff like that to improve your game.

-Falling: The guys yelling a lot, but not much in the way of comedy. The guy explaining this all to them is very, very hard to hear over the music. Jokes about something being unnecessarily long are hard to pull off, and only work if the things being said during such a long rant are, in themselves, amusing in some way, shape, or form.

-Landed: Reverb effect WAY overdone for explainy-man, I once again could not understand a tiny bit of what he said. "I wanna go home" really isn't much of a punchline, and again, their abysmal reactions are just part of the show, so just putting it in there without adding anything doesn't make for the best entertainment.

-Old Guy: I had to listen to it 3 times to understand that he was staying "let me have my stuff back" and not "let me heb ma stebf mech". Enunciation is needed. The scene as a whole was neither good, nor horrible, just....overlook-able.

-Go Fish Girl: Explanation was too long-winded. Writing dialogue in a way that uses the least amount of time to get the point across difficult, but the best way to do a comedy, so definitely practice at that.

-Wagering: It took me a very long time to figure out that the dude mistook "deck" for "dick". It's hard to make sense of these kinds of jokes unless the character has a strong accent, or there's some sort of debate over which word was said (and neither apply here). "Bring it, Bitch" is another one of those lines where it's going the right direction, but just needs more experience to turn it into a good joke. Keep trying with that stuff though. As for the back-and-forth where someone is really confident and suddenly loses, that skit is incredibly overdone, and in my eyes, can't be seen even as a joke anymore unless backed up with something funnier. Also the girl talked incredibly slowly for that, making it a lot easier to tell what was coming. Then when the guy wins, his arms move in sync with the lip flaps, which is just jarring. I highly recommend you learn masking (it might be called something else to non-vegas programs) so as to only have the mouth move when there's multiple things happening in a single shot.

-More Go Fish: Reverb effects were over-the-top again. The word count in him realizing she's on the same turn should be cut down as well, like I said before. The girl's pause was too long and "what was that all about? Oh yeah anyways" should have been either majorly trimmed or cut entirely. A lot of potential jokes are ruined just by having too much bulk to them.

-End Card: Also could be cut down, I thought you were almost doing a full credit reel. Just keep it, like, 5 seconds to keep the flow of the video going.

-Stinger: Good potential for a joke, but....was that the meme voice? Sounded a lot like it. If so, it goes back to my point about not taking from things when you could just say it yourself. If not, it could still have better reaction than just cursing really loud. That's another one of those overdone things.

So overall, could be a LOT worse, Voices were acceptable, mics could be worse but could be better, pacing needs the most help I think. Good things can come from this, though, you're far from hopeless. All the same, on a standard of ALL abridged videos, versus the "first attempt" standard, this obviously didn't reach too high, sorry. Still. Keep at it and stuff, get better, because I want to see more funny videos in the future, and it would suck if there was less funny stuff in the future just because you aren't great now.

7%, the Not-Good-But-Keep-Trying-Rank

(also your signature should be "than" and not "then". Yup, I'm that guy)

[+] 2 users Like deathlymuffins's post
10-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Please tear this shit up.

[Image: 0b06921981940149200bc28a764933df1a05e5dd...4ad9_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes DaltonOrange's post
10-12-2014, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 04:11 AM by deathlymuffins.)
>>>ONe Pecca arrrr brigade (One Piece ArrrBridged)<<<

I feel like this video is the Zoro to my Mihawk (that is, if Mihawk thought of himself as an adequate swordsman that was nothing special). The point is that this could be so great and funny and good, but there are many things that drag it way down. I'm just surprised at how there could be such funny stuff, and then switch it up and have so many un-good parts.

The Disclaimer: This was well worded. That's a good attitude to have about disclaimers

Ummm, Sanji is funny, all of his dialogue is very well written and the performance was great (except the mocking-voice, I didn't like that so much), but... It just flowed so well, and while it's lines that I've heard before, the way it's worded and delivered, I don't mind hearing more of that. Pointing out that there were starving people in a restaurant or that full people don't come to restaurants would usually seem obvious, but, just, the way it was delivered was so much fun, and a grand old time.

I like the idea that Johnny and Yosaku thought Nami "accidentally pushed [them] overboard, or something". No life lesson to this, just commenting on a good joke.

Dialogue about Mihawk's hat was well delivered too.

Now the not so good stuff, that felt entirely different somehow:

There are character gimmicks for major characters like usopp I noticed. I hope that's not all of what usopp is, like, maybe if he suddenly assumed out of nowhere that he was being hunted by the world's best swordsman, it'd be good, but something tells me that's what his personality beforehand was (and like the professional I am, I won't bother backing up that claim by looking at your previous videos). The "bro" stuff from Josaku ruined the pacing. Breaking the hand when punching something, while having an A for effort for being phrased differently, is still too old to be great.

I don't like luffy at all so far, it seems he's playing off the whole innocently-dumb thing, but that's not particularly funny, and with a personality like that, he only really shone when just setting up sanji in the beginning...

That long speech of Mihawk's before saying "just kidding, lol" was just... I'll just say that wasn't nice, don't make me expect better, then go for that. Not only is saying "lol" out loud slightly dumb on it's own, but that joke has been done so much, and it's not even a good joke. It's like saying "you look good...NOT!" It seriously is. There's no point to that, it kinda saddens me that it's used so much even by people like TFS (see: Freeza when given power from Goku and the Freeza considers turning his life around then saying "nahh").

So yeah, focus on the good stuff, maybe change the not so good stuff. That is, if you think my opinion is worth anything. (see: it often isn't)

40%, the 40/100 rank.

[+] 2 users Like deathlymuffins's post
10-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Deathlymuffins, what does your opinnion say about my power level?!

[Image: nn870k.gif]
Get at me on Skype: Bohemian.bear
[+] 1 user Likes Bohbear's post
11-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Truth sends his regards. (also hi, review my thing pls)

EARL of BASSINGTON
Vidyas and Other Nonsense

HA x HA #4 (Hunter x Hunter Parody Series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vOUsaA_kM
2015 Demo Reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFznIGTSEU
[+] 1 user Likes Earl of Bassington's post
11-14-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 07:46 PM by spritestuff.)
I had no idea that this is a review thread, can I get your opinion on my most recent video?

interested on your opinion of it.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
[+] 1 user Likes spritestuff's post
11-27-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 02:46 PM by deathlymuffins.)
(10-12-2014 06:34 PM)Bohbear Wrote:  

Deathlymuffins, what does your opinnion say about my power level?!

>>>Ghost Fun Abridged<<<

I'm going to be reviewing as I watch and then giving a summary of what I think.

While the beginning did provide a good explanation of why this video is named as such, it didn't provide me much humor.

Based on the cold opening, I wasn't expecting the title sequence. Great work, it was refreshingly satirical!

I think the main girl's jokes fall flat due to delivery. There was nothing too spectacular script-wise, but the delivery certainly didn't help.

You did well with the "as fast as you could?" "no". That's good! Don't spell it out, that's how this stuff works, and it made the joke funnier than I was expecting it would be. Good job, friend.

Oh no, but then you spelled it out with "informing these 2" when there are 3 girls. When I'm making dialogue like this in my own videos, I find it hilarious when it's just a subtle part of the dialogue. Will people laugh at it right away? Nope. But will people notice it and think the whole series is better for all the fun little dumb things you put in your videos? Yup. Example: I don't get many comments in my own videos, but I was surprised that a small discussion was made over "If you don't want to marry anyone, why come you getting a marriage license?" It's just a fun thing I slipped in there that was never elaborated on (because it doesn't have to be) but people still found it and really enjoyed it (I think, maybe)

the editing when the guy did the "urrphbpbpbhbbhb" was not overdone, which I'm glad to see because people often overuse that.

The girls smiling and blushing while he was throwing up. Another good use of subtlety, why is this not consistant? Make it be so. Thanks.

The pacing when when he starts thinking to himself while the nerd-girl is talking is delightfully off-beat. I don't know the scientific explanation behind it, but keep doing it, if it was intentional.

Seeing some old joke tropes in here. Not terrible, not great. The spirit guy's attitude in general is very fun, like when he was pretending to be his injured assistant.

background noise in the computer room kinda hurts my ears. I have these really fancy headphones that pick up every sound though, so maybe it's more annoying to me than anyone else. Someone get an outside opinion on this.

Can't really tell what the buddhist guy is saying.

I'm liking the spirit-guy's journal.

The explanation of the spooky goings-on was decent, not great.

Oh wow, spirit guy got really meta there.

Okay, so yeah, mr spirit guy was clearly where 98% of humor comes from for me. While he did very well, you might need to develop some good stuff for side characters for him to bounce off of better. Maybe. Idunno. Overall, this video feels like a great video that is missing something. A fairly big something. It feels like it just needs a bit more help from other characters, and a better feel of what kind of humor you need to focus on. IMO.

Still, a decent video gets a decent score:

61% - Low B Rank, AKA the Keep At It Rank

(11-14-2014 08:27 AM)Earl of Bassington Wrote:  

Truth sends his regards. (also hi, review my thing pls)
>>>Ha Ha the Hunter Ha Video<<<
I will inherently hate every other Hunter X Hunter Parody that is not my own.

Now here's why I liked your video.

It's one of those things that's not funny in theory, but it's funny in practice. In a way, it reminds me a lot of F [U] Man by Twoogiz. It's just some guys having a blast making fun of dumb anime that we like (you'd better like hunter x hunter, though). I like that you make fun of a bunch of different anime, like in the opening sequence that was placed at the end.

I feel like the best part of the video was the editing. That's what really pulled it all together and gave the viewer a clear idea of what crazy stuff they are getting into. It was well done.

I said that most of these things wouldn't be funny in theory, but they were funny here. But there were also jokes that I didn't find funny in the video. The nazi thing seemed forced. Leorio's dialogue wasn't impressive (and I'm not sure, but I don't think his choice of voice was that great either).

Killua seemed like a pretty big part of the episode, but he didn't sway me either way. It was decent, but not great, but not bad.

That was a lot of faces that were pasted on Gon there. I get what the intention was for that, and I appreciate it, I do, but it feels a little TOO derivative. If you want my suggestion (and who would, really), maybe have some faces plastered onto him that don't come from someone else's cartoon. Have someone draw them for your video and your video alone.

Yeah, overall, I actually like this thing, even though those corporate jerks at the abridged forums might disagree.

82% A-Rank, the The-Only-Other-Video-To-Get-This-Rank-Was-Twoogiz-Rank.

I'll be reviewing Spritestuff's stuff after I take a small break from being such a harsh critic today

01-13-2015, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 05:09 PM by Korstonesword.)

My YouTube Channel

Favorite Quotes:

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." ~Winston Smith (1984)

"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them." ~Catch 22

"Why must fireflies die so young?" ~Setsuko (Grave of Fireflies)
02-17-2015, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 03:34 AM by deathlymuffins.)
Back to reviewing. I'm late to it. So sue me. Don't sue me though. Anyways,I'll work on this and get to the scripty thing by that one guy later.

(11-14-2014 09:30 AM)spritestuff Wrote:  I had no idea that this is a review thread, can I get your opinion on my most recent video?

interested on your opinion of it.

>>>Ninja Space Borgs Parody Review Hour<<<

The most distracting parts about the video was the editing, I'd say. The mouth flaps, in an effort to be precise, made each shot have masked segments twitch back in forth with each syllable, making it quite jarring. I recommend, especially with bad footage and less than superb editing prowess, to just let the audio loop as much as possible and repeat it. it at least smooths out the motion and makes it seem more like a video for the purposes of entertainment rather than "something some guy made", you want to draw attention away from the fact that a human being is making this, honestly, and while it seems to be a step in the wrong direction, leaving things closer to the original footage would certainly make it harder to notice. Plus there were a lot of very, very clearly shopped in mouth flaps, eye changes, etc. I feel like that this has the same application. Sure it can be done, but it costs presentation points. I won't tell you what to do, but definitely keep it in mind.

The jokes themselves seem to go on for too long. Not just the stuttering guy (who also went on for too long) but generally all the scenes. I noticed places that dialogue could be trimmed down while keeping the exact same meaning, jokes, and emotion. Your jokes are holding up well enough that you can start branching your focus to other aspects of the writing process. (and maybe the stutterman should talk faster or something. I like when a person stutters something then says something completely different, but it took too long to get where it was going, and I saw it coming too much)

Like I said in paragraph 2 (see: paragraph 2) jokes are fairly good, with the only problem being they take too long to get to the front door. Other than that, it seems like you've got a good headway to be working with. Maybe the "oh look, this robot is a thing that I think it is" was a bit forced. It certainly felt that way.

Voicing was fine, except the effect on the robot man made it hard to hear, then in that scene where he was getting in the science robot, everything, mostly the audio, was peaking.

Overall, could've been a lot worse, and has some real worthwhile stuff in there. just patch up a few things and you'll be on your way to golden town. Like I always say "fix what stuff and it will be better if you fix it right!"

This is BestlyMuffins, signing off

38% really-high-ish D-Rank

02-17-2015, 08:41 AM
So in short, I need to up the pace a bit, leave my editing to be a lot more natural and keep consistent with my levelling. very valid.
I will say in defence of
"The jokes themselves seem to go on for too long"
I really like trying to keep my dialogue and jokes verbose, it's a style choice of mine. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you meant, so I would really appreciate if you could elaborate on that.

Last of all, could you take a look at my latest and let me know if those aforementioned problems are still there, or if I've worked them out myself.

Thanks.
02-17-2015, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 12:43 PM by SoDA.)
Do yo scan, muffin man.

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
02-18-2015, 10:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)