New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfinished Series Subforum: Unnecessary?
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 03:33 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
Unfinished Series Subforum: Unnecessary?
(02-12-2013 08:11 AM)BlazeShadowthorn Wrote:  Remember that 4kids show way back in 2007 that had kids playing card games on computers? Neither do I but I decided to abridge Chaotic anyway. The first episode is (I think) currently being edited so look out youtube/world/abridgedforums there is a new abridged series coming.

So this was an unnecessary thread

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
RE: Chaotic The Abridged Series
Well no, it's an as of yet unfinished series that will presumably see the light of day at some point. That's what this entire subforum is for...um.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
(02-12-2013 12:49 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  So this is an unnecessary subforum

kk, Truth, I fixed it

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Actually, I would call this subforum "unnecessary". I believe the
reason this subforum was originally made for other Abridgers to look out for
an Abridged Series that they would be interested to see. Some people wouldn't
care but I'm sure someone will love to see that cartoon, anime, etc. form into a
parody and can be notified that there's something new that they'd like to see is
coming up.
02-12-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: [split] Chaotic The Abridged Series
Splitting this thread for the time being so the original OP won't get his thread derailed.

But sure, let's discuss the viability of the Unfinished Series subforum.

Who the fuck watches something and thinks "this needs to be abridged"?
Who the fuck sees a thread on an abridging site saying that some random person is going to abridge a series and they think "Oh boy, I'm excited!"
Who the fuck benefits from attention whores being taught that it's okay to say stupid ass things like "LOOK OUT, WORLD, MY SERIES COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!G!GG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The subforum is stupid. It's not active. It's not necessary. It's serves no good function. It should be removed. If people need to post something because they need someone to help them with their upcoming series, there are already subforums for that. We have auditions, how-to, and etc.

Let's get rid of this.

02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
On a whim, I decide to play devil's advocate.

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck watches something and thinks "this needs to be abridged"?
Abridgers, apparently. Or people who watch something and think "That was so bad I need/somebody else needs to make fun of it".

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck sees a thread on an abridging site saying that some random person is going to abridge a series and they think "Oh boy, I'm excited!"
If the thread's author was well known, some people could be genuinely interested to see the take the author uses in the series. In addition, if it was used to keep people posted on what stage of production the video was in, that could be interesting to some people as well. Personally, I don't fall into that category, but I felt the inexplicable need to cover all possible viewpoints.

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck benefits from attention whores being taught that it's okay to say stupid ass things like "LOOK OUT, WORLD, MY SERIES COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!G!GG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
The career field of advertising. That's what movies do, isn't it? They release teasers and trailers to generate attention so that when it comes out it has an audience of more than two people.

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  It's not active.
True. If it gets taken down for any reason, my bet would be on this.

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  It's serves no good function.
Quick question, to those people who have used the subforum prior to releasing a series, did it do anything for you? I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation.

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
-Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 05:11 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
And I shall play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate

(02-12-2013 04:48 PM)DelfTheFish Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck watches something and thinks "this needs to be abridged"?
Abridgers, apparently. Or people who watch something and think "That was so bad I need/somebody else needs to make fun of it".

And this needs to be announced in a thread because?

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck sees a thread on an abridging site saying that some random person is going to abridge a series and they think "Oh boy, I'm excited!"
If the thread's author was well known, some people could be genuinely interested to see the take the author uses in the series. In addition, if it was used to keep people posted on what stage of production the video was in, that could be interesting to some people as well. Personally, I don't fall into that category, but I felt the inexplicable need to cover all possible viewpoints.

Well known abridgers that post here that make Upcoming Series threads:

Sorry for the long list

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Who the fuck benefits from attention whores being taught that it's okay to say stupid ass things like "LOOK OUT, WORLD, MY SERIES COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!G!GG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
The career field of advertising. That's what movies do, isn't it? They release teasers and trailers to generate attention so that when it comes out it has an audience of more than two people.

Abridged Series are not TV Shows or Movies. If you want your series to be watched, make it good. People sending Abridged Series to their friends for watching is, by a long shot, the #1 way Abridged Series get views. Make a good product, people will share it. It doesn't need a thread on some small forum. That does nothing. If anything, it gives people who abridge for the wrong reasons (attention seekers), who NEVER make good material, more incentive and reward for their wrongful attitudes.

(02-12-2013 03:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  It's serves no good function.
Quick question, to those people who have used the subforum prior to releasing a series, did it do anything for you? I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation.

http://www.abridgedforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35

The vast majority of these thread authors do not come to the forum, so good luck getting an answer from them. They came here once to say "HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME!" and then leave. The vast majority of these threads have no replies whatsoever. The most popular thread by post and view count was mostly us saying stupid things and dicking around.

This subforum is completely useless, and if anything, a negative thing.

02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Unfinished Series Subforum: Unnecessary?
Well played, I've got nothing to respond with. However, now we have a better developed set of reasons on why to remove the subforum.

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
-Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
02-12-2013, 05:52 PM

1Kids, it's like saying: "Who the fuck would like to hear some random person announce a new Movie coming and become excited?" Some people are interested in hearing about a new thing, some people aren't. I think we should leave it for the people who would be glad to hear an Abridged Series coming up.
02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
(02-12-2013 05:52 PM)CrasherSurge Wrote:  1Kids, it's like saying: "Who the fuck would like to hear some random person announce a new Movie coming and become excited?" Some people are interested in hearing about a new thing, some people aren't. I think we should leave it for the people who would be glad to hear an Abridged Series coming up.

What? How is that... I... what?

Who wants to hear about the movie my cousin Bumfuck Nobody is making? It has robots. Yay robots.

Now give me a subforum

huh?

02-12-2013, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 07:40 PM by Airrest.)
I don't really want to read this whole thread, but the point of the Upcoming and Unfinished is really so that the main Database doesn't get clogged up with projects that never come to fruition. So many planned series never happen, it's ridiculous. So that's the basics behind it. I'd like to keep it that way. Seems to have worked out so far.

The whole thing is basically a warning label for "this may never happen, but either way you can still check it out here". I DO think however, we need to have a period of like 6 months or so where we can delete threads from that section if they never come to light. I think that was my original intention but I just haven't ever gotten around to it.
[+] 2 users Like Airrest's post
02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I just think a more effective way is to delete it altogether and not allow unfinished series to have a thread anywhere on the site, so it won't clog anything up. They serve *no* purpose. No offense, man, but you should read the thread... I've explained my reasoning.

02-12-2013, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 09:40 PM by Airrest.)
(02-12-2013 08:50 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  I just think a more effective way is to delete it altogether and not allow unfinished series to have a thread anywhere on the site, so it won't clog anything up. They serve *no* purpose. No offense, man, but you should read the thread... I've explained my reasoning.

If we want to try to implement that, that's fine. It was originally implemented because we DIDN'T have that rule and there were a bunch of threads with unstarted serieseses clogging up the Database.

People seem to be following the rules when it comes to posting in the right section... probably because it exists and they see it. I'm not entirely convinced that we won't get people posting unfinished/unstarted series in the regular database thread even if we say it's "against the rules". Nobody reads the fucking rules, unfortunately. The auditions section is a testament to that. Go ahead. Give it a try. I'm not convinced it won't create more work for moderators. I just don't see why this is really an issue. Why is this just now becoming a problem?

And don't get me wrong, I think the section is fucking stupid as well. But it was created to curb the original problem. People seemed to have posted their unfinished/unstarted series in the right section, so I was okay with it.

Whatever you want to do, Mike. Go for it.
02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
(02-12-2013 09:36 PM)Airrest Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 08:50 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  I just think a more effective way is to delete it altogether and not allow unfinished series to have a thread anywhere on the site, so it won't clog anything up. They serve *no* purpose. No offense, man, but you should read the thread... I've explained my reasoning.

If we want to try to implement that, that's fine. It was originally implemented because we DIDN'T have that rule and there were a bunch of threads with unstarted serieseses clogging up the Database.

People seem to be following the rules when it comes to posting in the right section... probably because it exists and they see it. I'm not entirely convinced that we won't get people posting unfinished/unstarted series in the regular database thread even if we say it's "against the rules". Nobody reads the fucking rules, unfortunately. The auditions section is a testament to that. Go ahead. Give it a try. I'm not convinced it won't create more work for moderators. I just don't see why this is really an issue. Why is this just now becoming a problem?

And don't get me wrong, I think the section is fucking stupid as well. But it was created to curb the original problem. People seemed to have posted their unfinished/unstarted series in the right section, so I was okay with it.

Whatever you want to do, Mike. Go for it.

Bro, the moderators on this forum rarely need to do diddly squat. I think we'll be fine deleting a thread occasionally.

I'm removing the subforum then.

02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Okedoke.
02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I also edited the rules of the database to reflect the change. If someone breaks it, they get a warning on the account and the thread is deleted. Plain and simple.

03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
(02-12-2013 05:08 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  The vast majority of these thread authors do not come to the forum, so good luck getting an answer from them. They came here once to say "HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME!" and then leave.

True... true.

03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you, Bob. That was a very insightful and timely contribution.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 4 users Like Truthordeal's post
03-04-2013, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 08:16 PM by OoziHobo.)
Huzzah! I suggested this change forever ago when we were all talking about how to arrange the forum and sub-forums into what they are now, and Airrest gave me the same explanation. Which I still think is very sound reasoning, by the way. But I'm glad to see it go.

If you've got the notoriety to actually announce a series and people will care about it, there is twitter and facebook. And when it comes to movies, if the director is inexperienced or untested in the type of movie I'm anticipating I don't get excited over it. And let's be honest here, even if an unknown abridger creates a masterful first episode, we will probably wait to see how consistent they are with their episodes, and if they're not going to going to fall off the earth after they make two or three.

Topic was over but those are my two cents ^

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes OoziHobo's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)