New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Grammar Sucks
03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Your Grammar Sucks
Here's an entertaining series I discovered a while back. It's a series of videos where posts with poor grammar and spelling are read aloud to emphasize how ridiculous people on the internet can be.

Here's a link to the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6687CF25DE17420

and here are a few examples of the videos it contains:

Spoiler(Show)

What do you guys think of this?

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
-Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
RE: Your Grammar Sucks
Jacksfilms is a comedic genius

That said, he's done way too many of these, and the joke isn't funny anymore.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM
I can definitely see why you would say that he's done too many. He's about to do his 50th episode. Many people would undoubtedly get bored of it before that point.

However, I really enjoy word-based humor. This includes puns, unfortunate typos, unfortunate grammar mistakes, etc. Because of that I tend not to get tired of this sort of video as quickly as others do. If it was a different sort of humor being repeated like this, I'd probably share your opinion.

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Have you seen *every* YGS, spaced out a week or so apart?

It has the RayWilliamJohnson effect... the first time he does certain gimmicks are hilarious, and the second/third times he does them are fun too because you think it's a callback joke or rule of three kind of thing. But then he keeps doing it, almost with every episode.

If I see him take out that glass of water and swirl it again I'm gonna puke. It was barely funny the first time.

There is no formula for comedy because a formula has to be reusable forever. There is no joke that doesn't become unfunny and annoying after an infinite number of repetition.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

03-16-2013, 01:07 PM
In response to your first question, his schedule has been disrupted, so his YGS videos are not spaced evenly apart anymore. That has prolonged the RWJ effect that you mentioned from running its full course for me, but it's still going to happen eventually. I imagine that when he sees a significant decline in viewers, he'll stop the series.

I agree with your last statement. I will get tired of the series eventually because of the fact that no joke is infinitely recyclable, it's just that I'm not tired of it yet. That said, if the joke was outside the realm of word-based humor, I would have been tired of it long ago.

03-16-2013, 03:27 PM
The problem with the RWJ model is that it's great at manipulating the statistics. It's great for getting new viewers, so it promotes growth, and its entertainment value doesn't drop off suddenly, which is what would cause unsubscribers or people not clicking on his videos in their subscription feed. So his intake of subscribers permanently will outweigh the people getting bored of him.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that because Jacksfilms hasn't reached a fraction of his possible audience, he will constantly see his views and subscribers stay strong despite reusing the same 3 jokes. Does the formula actually work? No. I expect most fans are becoming less enthused pretty quickly as time goes on. But the intake of fresh fans will mask that.

Actually, I expect PurpleEyes has a similar thing going on. His style is hilarious the first couple times you see his stuff, but wears off after a while. The difference is, he's not using the same few jokes, and he's constantly changing things around, even if the style itself remains mostly intact. So there's something for new viewers and old viewers. Not quite the RWJ effect at all.

11-13-2013, 10:05 PM
I think the blame should fall on individuals because we have become so comfortable with our computers,phone's and other gadgets that take care of the problem.

I'm no saint and i admit the laziness on my be half and i end up say what is the point ?.
11-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Way to completely contradict yourself.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
11-14-2013, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 02:57 AM by Yuoaman.)
Wait, are you trying to say that it's all your fault? You bastard.

* Aquaman: The Unabridged Parody Series (ATUPS) Episode 1 is now out!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yAwc-7aHf4
01-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I remember when I first found this series I started saving screencaps and sending them in.
They weren't making it, but I kept on saving them.
I've got a total of 56 screencaps now, with 2 of them being real life YGS.

I keep telling myself I'll make a YGS myself, but I lack a green screen...

[Image: 064oLU8.gif][Image: ZvCxvJM.gif]
Find this shit on YouTube: Exactly what it says on the tin (Cornstomper).
Check out my comedy band!
03-09-2014, 02:37 PM
BUMP

Sorry, just surprised to see someone else watches this.

I love YGS and his "Bobby the racist apple". Pretty funny.
03-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Please don't bump threads if you don't have something to contribute.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)