New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with spam.
03-16-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 11:34 PM by SoDA.)
Dealing with spam.
Derailing conversation in a thread is like forum herpes. Get rid of it on the surface as much as you want, but it'll still keep coming back.
The most useful way to keep extra threads from being made is to find a way to minimize useless posts. Literally minimize, like, make it so you have to press a plus sign to see any of it, otherwise all you would see is the posters name, the post time&number, and a plus sign next to it, or a "show spam" button.
The trouble would be coding it so the command of minimizing a post is simple enough to do often.

To question it risking people being more apt to post nonsense because of that, someone seeing that there post was minimized would still show them that what they said didn't help anything.

The Unproductive Bickering thread, I feel should just be meant for threads in which you talk about what the fuck ever that has nothing to do with anything, and where people go to announce and specify their butthurt, and not to be used as a place where spam goes to die. You can just shrink spam into an expandable two lines of page. Have it operate like youtube comments even, where regular users can mark the post as spam. If somebody makes a bum thread, -as in totally fucking incorrectly put together, like a bad audition thread, then make a section for bum threads. Call it, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG"

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: How to do without the UB section.
Problem with that is people downvoting a post they don't like and minimizing it.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 08:59 PM by concrete Building.)
Although I would normally say this is a good idea, take a look at the name of this forum.

Have you? Good. Now, I'd like to state that right there is your main problem. This is a forum full of people making jokes and other satirical comments, and we probably joke quite a bit more than your average "joe" forum. It's part of our nature. We like to make people laugh, which is what I'm guessing is the reason for the "like post" button. To see what posts made what people laugh. Of course, that button is also for agreement. But the 2 main points here are A. We all make jokes, and B. Since this is a forum of people constantly making jokes, they do serve a purpose.

We also have mods that know that. In fact, they came from another forum you may or may not have heard of called Box of Danger. Now I personally haven't posted much in there, but from what I've gathered from reading posts both on there and here, BoD is a tad more rough around the edges although the mods most of our other users may have something to say about that. The mods also like making these kinds of posts and comments and realize that. This is partially what makes them a bit more lenient. But simply warning to ban people right off the bat and make them stop commenting isn't a very good moderation technique. I've been to quite a few forums where there WOULD be something useful for a user to say in a certain thread... had they not been banned.

This is where UB comes in.

I personally think this is the best creation in any forum. In UB, you can spew out whatever you need to if it's a rant, if it's a heated argument that now has its own topic or is constantly changing topics, etc. to get this stuff off of your chest, or if you just want to be random and silly. It also keeps some of our best users on the forums and posting what they need to, contributing great stuff to threads and subforums.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 09:19 PM by SoDA.)
(03-16-2013 08:38 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Problem with that is people downvoting a post they don't like and minimizing it.

Yeah, reporting as spam being allowed to users would cause a problem.

(03-16-2013 08:41 PM)concrete Building Wrote:  *all of what I said

Being random and silly, and making jokes, despite that being the underlying nature of this forum is still spam if it doesn't help the purpose of the thread. I'm not saying off-topic posts should be moderated as optionally view-able spam to devalue anyones point or humor. I'm saying since it is still spam, it should made optional to see it.
And FINE, forget the idea of users being able to even suggest something be Spam-Shrunk, that's up to the mods/admin to decide.
Also about the middle paragraph, your over-complicating the concept. I don't care what other people did, I'm just saying, "Hey. Thought of something that might be nice as a feature here."

Also, it's just nicer for spam posts that people take some investment in to get a slight "immediate presence" revocation, instead of a complete relocation.

u2b
03-16-2013, 09:48 PM
If it's not broke, don't fix it

UB works

End of story

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 3 users Like 1KidsEntertainment's post
03-16-2013, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 10:40 PM by SoDA.)
The way it's used to filter spam, as opposed to a more nonsensical way of showing what parts of a topic discussion don't contribute anything, is a broke ass method.

From a website quality standpoint, shrinking posts that are spam looks alot nicer than moving them to another part of the forum entirely, in my humbler than christ opinion.

inb4 telling it like it is, dad

u2b
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM
What about it is broken? Seems to be working perfectly fine.

03-16-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 11:14 PM by SoDA.)
(03-16-2013 10:45 PM)concrete Building Wrote:  What about it is broken? Seems to be working perfectly fine.

K, that's a bit biased on my part.

I just feel like in comparison to the suggested method, it seems like lazy programming.

"There's no need to make it clear that a post is spam, and let it remain in the thread, just split it and put in UB." Sounds like compromise.

I get the negative feedback. Changing things is like cancer to some people, but I know it would look a lot neater if spam replies were made invisible, with the option to still look at the post, rather than just stuck somewhere else.

The least you can do, 1kids, when someone has an idea about the forum like this, would be to actually consider the implications of it. It's a great deal of work to make the site look a little more anti-cluttered, but it still does exactly that.

If the site, in nature, is going to have a generous amount of fucking around, why not have a way of dealing with spam that shows you accept the fact that there is spam in the thread, but we still don't have to look at it unless we wan't to. It is still part of the discussion, and gets lost in context if you trim the fat and pack it in UB.

The way it is now is like all the toxins in your body being sweat out through your feet, the rest of you will look fine, no sweat anywhere else, but you're going to have really smelly feet.

Yes, I'm implying that how spam is dealt with currently is the smelly feet of the abridged forum. .'/

I don't mind however spam is dealt with, I just like a different idea from it's current method. Consideration of change, to a bit more of an extent than, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE" is possible in the human world.

u2b
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
This is a forum, not the comments section of Yahoo.

If something is off-topic, but still merits discussion, it gets moved to a place that is a better fit. This allows people discussion the new topic to have space to do so without being intertwined with or hijacking the original topic.

It just happens that snarking and walrus posts usually fit better in the UB.

03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
The whole point of UB is to have users reading the thread and still get the story without the filler, while whoever's debating or arguing, or being crazy or whatever can still be doing that and get whatever they need to be off their chest, and then back onto the topic at hand once they're ready. As I said before, it's a wonderful technique because it still keeps the useful users we have, who would otherwise be banned on other forums for simply getting something off of their chest.

03-16-2013, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 11:44 PM by SoDA.)
Dealing with Spam
damn...

... I concede.

Actually wait, let's say it can be a means of removing immediate visibility of a single post that is blatant spam.

If an off-topic and full discussion emerges in a thread, then yes, move it somewhere else, but a reply that's obviously somebody just being a fuckface, that can be minimized. Reduced to one/two lines of page, with basic information about the post, (name, timecode, etc), and a "show" option beside it.

Although, you might as well just move it UB : D

Think of it, however, as a more immediate way of being able to show people what constitutes to any mod as spam.

u2b
03-16-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: Dealing with spam.
Basically it comes to two things:

1) Is your idea workable/a good solution?

2) Is it that much better a solution to bother implementing over our current system?

I'd say yes to 1), but no to 2). I think that's where the argument is coming in.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
03-16-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a real hard time understanding Soda's proposal. So I'm stuck on my first post: It's not broken. At all. Leave it as it is.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

03-16-2013, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 11:46 PM by concrete Building.)
I think he was suggesting something along the lines of what you see on youtube, where you can view a comment that was minimized because someone "marked it as spam". That also suggested the ability to mark someone's post as spam.

03-17-2013, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 10:11 AM by Airrest.)
I get it, but I think ultimately it may do more harm than good. I've been downvoted to oblivion on Reddit and upvoted to heaven as well. When I get downvoted for a comment that wasn't mean-spirited and was in fact correct, it pisses me the fuck off.

I have a feeling that in a world full of criticism and critique and 16-year-olds (abridging), a "hide spam" system would probably not be a good idea. When people on YouTube get into largeish-scale fueds, the "hide spam" system gets abused and used to effectively silence whoever's opinion you don't like, not just for spam.

It's a good idea in principle, but I'm not sure it will execute well.

What I MIGHT be willing to negotiate on is perhaps finding a way to hide individual posts for yourself, that way if you don't want to see that post anymore, you have the option to personally hide it, but it will still show for everyone else.

That said, I wasn't aware that spam was a major problem on this forum.
03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Isn't there already a friend/foe system implemented that lets you ignore the post of a particular person?

03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
I am completely against the proposal of blocking people, Eric. This forum is an exchange of ideas. It's bad enough that some choose to ignore advice sometimes even after reading it. We don't need to make it easier for them.

We have several systems in place to prevent & deal with drama and spam. We are fine as it is. Let's stop with the "change for the sake of change" nonsense.

03-17-2013, 12:13 PM
(03-17-2013 10:34 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Isn't there already a friend/foe system implemented that lets you ignore the post of a particular person?

[Image: 33392qt.png]

03-17-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 02:14 PM by Airrest.)
(03-17-2013 10:35 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Let's stop with the "change for the sake of change" nonsense.

I agree, but SoDA actually attempted to present a reasonable... reason for change. The only thing is, I just don't see it as a problem, therefore I agree with you.

However, if we have a problem, we should try to solve it, but I think in this case it's not an issue overall.
03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Every now and again we get off topic and a new split thread is made in UB. Who cares? It's not like anyone really goes in there unless they want to talk shit anyways so why does it matter if it's full of completely useless shit threads? If someone really is spamming and being a nuisance they could always be banned from the forums like a few in the past have been.

The system we have works as 1Kids said so I ask again who cares?

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)