New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Subject No One should ever Joke About?
04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Is there a Subject No One should ever Joke About?
Let's face it, the world is a tragic place. There are terrible things that happen to good people every day and sometimes wrong deeds are never corrected.

My question to you all is; is there a subject that is off-limits to joke about or is it a matter of tact to turn even the worse of tragedies into comedy gold?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
RE: Is there a Subject No One should ever Joke About?
Obviously, there are things that make something a good idea or bad idea, i.e., making 9/11 jokes in front of veterans is a bad idea. I remember Remix once saying that he regretted Rapeman to an extent, because it gave the misogynistic assholes who encourage pro-rape or anti-women attitudes jokes that they could misuse.

So I think there's nothing that's inherently off-limits, but you have to be smart about how you use that type of humor.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 4 users Like Truthordeal's post
04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Comedians are always getting in trouble for joking about things that shouldn't be joked about. The problem is, anything can offend someone. A harmless joke where a dog comes out on top could get cat-lovers up in arms.

The problem with comedians making the "wrong" joke is simply just the wrong audience. As Truth says, you don't tell a holocaust joke in front of a rabbi - know your audience. If you come up with a hilarious joke about black people, tell it in Mississipi, not Harlem. Rape jokes are best left OUT of women's shelters.

Your local authority on Transformers and comic books

Guyver the BioBoosted Abridged
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia

Iron Manime
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia
[+] 1 user Likes acelister's post
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
My overall opinion on this is, there is a time and place. Also, be classy about it.

I hate the trend of "edgy" jokes. No they aren't "edgy" you are just using that as an excuse to be a horrible person.

There is a big difference between a joke and just being offensive. That is one thing that ticks me off more so than anything else.
04-28-2013, 09:25 PM
No.

Taboos are merely a hindrance to comedy.

Everything can be funny in the right situation. Even rape, even abortions...actually, isn't it weird how most of the things it's supposedly not okay to joke about are things that only happen to women? Think about it.

YOUR ALL DICKS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Rape happens to men too, you insuf-Nevermind.

Quote:I hate the trend of "edgy" jokes. No they aren't "edgy" you are just using that as an excuse to be a horrible person.

Agreed. "Edginess" always comes off as some immature kid's attempt to appear mature, which explains why Daniel Tosh got into the mess he did.

A lot of people like to point to George Carlin's "Rape Can Be Funny Skit" as an excuse to make jokes in bad taste. What they seem to not realize is that Carlin wasn't saying that rape is funny and should be laughed at; he was saying that everything has the potential to be funny in the right circumstances. I doubt Carlin would have found Kitty Genovese funny, but Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd certainly is.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
04-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Can't say too much that hasn't already been said.

I don't usually use jokes like that mostly because I feel I could think of something better.
But if I did it'd have to be a pretty dang good one to me.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
04-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Number one rule around here is no dick jokes. #1 RULE

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
04-29-2013, 02:53 AM
(04-29-2013 12:21 AM)TwooGiz Wrote:  Number one rule around here is no dick jokes. #1 RULE

I thought it was no references? Awesome Face

Personally, I love dark humor and appreciate anyone who uses it.
And yes, there is a right time and place to say certain jokes (on the Internet) and there's the wrong time and place to say them (in public).

Check us out and see why WE MAKE AWESOME!
[Image: 10430474_741293955934993_7737309816629788697_n.png]
04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
There are also certain forums you can't use that humor, especially the family-friendly and professional ones.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
04-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Perfect example of both how to tell a dark joke and also how using them in the wrong place is a bad idea.

[Image: PBF182-Food_Fight.jpg]

04-29-2013, 06:49 AM
I just apply the 1# rule to offensive comments/jokes
If you wouldn't say it to your friends than it will be offensive when you say it.
This is because it helps to look at your audience as your friend, after all they share the same sense as humour and they support your work.

For example I might use the word cunt a lot in my writing, because that's what i call all my friends. so its appropriate for my audience. I wouldn't say, Adopted fuck-face, because id feel uncomfortable saying it to my friends.

sure someone else might get offended by it, but as long as the content creator is comfortable with it its fine. you get offended, your not part of that audience, find the audience that suits you.

I call it the friend rule.

Also i have no idea if this is relevant or not, fuck you its the internet.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
05-05-2013, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 09:50 AM by Uraby210.)
If you get offended by a joke, then it's your fault for not being able to distinguish between joking and seriousness. Or, alternatively, not being able to appreciate optimism in a seemingly hopeless situation.

Either way, no joke in existence is inherently wrong or offensive.

YOUR ALL DICKS
05-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Person 1: God, why am I so bad at these video games?

Person B: Probably because you're a bigger failure than Uraby210's attempts at being funny.

^If you're offended by that, then it's your own fault.

[+] 6 users Like Truthordeal's post
05-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh boy, Uraby is back to victim blaming.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 2 users Like 1KidsEntertainment's post
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
(05-05-2013 09:49 AM)Uraby210 Wrote:  Either way, no joke in existence is inherently wrong or offensive.

Try telling Holocaust jokes at a Synagogue. I'll wait.
[+] 2 users Like yomi133's post
05-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, Uraby I hope you're going to be happy married to your hand, because with your attitude I don't think you'll ever get lucky.

If that offends you, I'm sorry that you can't take a joke.
[+] 5 users Like Kat's post
05-05-2013, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 01:49 PM by Truthordeal.)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
This is a problem that I am dealing with at the moment. I've put my Deadman series on hold because some of the things I had planned no seem horribly offensive in light of the recent shootings and massacres we've had. I am trying to retool it and make to where I find it less offensive. I don't know if anyone else will notice or care, but for me personally it matters

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes TheHawk's post
05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
So how long do you have to wait until massacres are funny again?

Go see Age of Inside Out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)