New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Subject No One should ever Joke About?
05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
RE: Is there a Subject No One should ever Joke About?
Considering how often they happen in our country?

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 03:16 AM by Stephan.)
Massacres can still be hilarious... just make the massacre the result of something ridiculous like excessive clowning or something, I dunno.

05-06-2013, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 03:22 AM by TheHawk.)
I'm not saying massacres are ever funny, or aren't depending on their fictional context. It's just that my show opens with the massacre of a bunch of middle schoolers and I personally feel like I need to step away from the content of my series and reevaluate the direction I'm taking it in. As far as I know, no one has found my show offensive, I PERSONALLY want to look at it again from a different angle because I am unsure of it.

EDIT

I know, I'm probably not making much sense about this, its... fuck I can't explain it. I don't know. Maybe I'm too tired to be making any sense.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes TheHawk's post
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I wasn't having a go, don't worry about it.
But in all seriousness if the content of that episode bothers you, skip it, for that is the true beauty of abridging.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
(05-06-2013 03:20 AM)TheHawk Wrote:  I know, I'm probably not making much sense about this, its... fuck I can't explain it. I don't know. Maybe I'm too tired to be making any sense.

I get exactly what you are saying. In my series I have a teenager who witnesses his cat accidentally being run over by an old neighbor. I'm not sure how to make that funny, and I decided that I'm not.

I have seen another Abridged Series succeed in the same scene, but I don't think I could do the same thing myself. Everyone has their limits and sometimes there is no reason to push them for simply a small gain. It is better to work around it, skip it completely if you need to.
05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah in many cases especially with "controversial" humor it is risk versus reward. Sometimes the risk isn't worth the reward. So if you can work around something like that, it many even improve your writing as well. Sometimes with "controversial" humor it's obvious what the joke is, so working around it could prove someone has skills as a writer.
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 04:48 PM by WTSRemix.)
Anyone should be allowed to make a joke about anything at anytime and any place.

However. You've got to ask yourself who you're willing to make suffer for it. That's what you do when you offend someone, believe it or not. Harsh truth, but you do it almost all the time since comedy is derived from suffering one way or another. You'd be surprised at the jokes that casually fly around when a given topic hits close to home - you tend to notice how often people joke about death when someone in your family dies.

The thing about Rapeman was that I was ignorant to rape culture. After I found out what that was, I regretted making it. The effect of something like Rapeman is actually a lot bigger than offending a rape victim. Too bad I didn't make it in a vacuum.
[+] 4 users Like WTSRemix's post
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
(05-15-2013 04:17 PM)WTSRemix Wrote:  Anyone should be allowed to make a joke about anything at anytime and any place.

However. You've got to ask yourself who you're willing to make suffer for it. That's what you do when you offend someone, believe it or not. Harsh truth, but you do it almost all the time since comedy is derived from suffering one way or another. You'd be surprised at the jokes that casually fly around when a given topic hits close to home - you tend to notice how often people joke about death when someone in your family dies.

The thing about Rapeman was that I was ignorant to rape culture. After I found out what that was, I regretted making it. The effect of something like Rapeman is actually a lot bigger than offending a rape victim. Too bad I didn't make it in a vacuum.

I think I dig this the most so far.
Awesome point.

Though I haven't seen this Rapeman video.
I think when it comes to jokes like rape or suicide, people doing this don't really think that they're going to offend someone. They think 'lolrapehehxdhesded' and throw it in. And yeah, the point has been made: There's a time and place, use your brain.

But kinda like he said, you gotta pick your target. At least by doing that, you're thinking about it.

Also:
(05-15-2013 04:17 PM)WTSRemix Wrote:  Too bad I didn't make it in a vacuum.
So people could suck it up?

Am I close?

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
05-16-2013, 11:34 PM

05-17-2013, 12:03 AM

[+] 3 users Like walter's post
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Does considering a bronie joke could be a offense to broines if the joke isnt deliever in a nice way?
05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
(05-21-2013 10:54 PM)Zero Signer Wrote:  Does considering a bronie joke could be a offense to broines if the joke isnt deliever in a nice way?

[Image: 70s-style-retro-usb-desktop-vacuum-cleaner.jpeg]

[+] 2 users Like walter's post
05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I mean it o_o
07-11-2013, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 04:08 AM by POASucked.)
Nobody should joke about, in increasing order of offensiveness and severity:
- That one really, REALLY depressing, soul-crushing episode of Game of Thrones.. you know the one I mean.
- Rape
- Self-harm
- Airrest's fascism
- How bad the horrible third Harry Potter movie was
- How bad Airrest's two year old opinions on the horrible third Harry Potter movie are

Seriously though, jokes about things like rape and racism and the Holocaust are never even funny besides shock value which pretty much gets old once you grow up past the age of 14 (15 tops) so why even bother?
07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I think most tragedy's have a bit of a cooling off period, and some of them there's really no humor to be derived from them. It really depends on the tragedy, how long it's been and the person making the joke. Sometimes people can make humor out of nothing and I can appreciate that.

Other then that, no. Screw it. Some people will find jokes offensive, others won't, and a lot of people get swept up by group mentality if someone they respect cry's out about how offensive something is.

Rape is a really good example of something that people with either get their panties in a knot over or accept humor as escapism. Neither is inherently wrong, they are just different views and mentality's.

Shit gets dark, life gets dark. Bad things happen, and I think a lot of people don't understand that we use humor to pick our selves UP from those bad situations.

Of course rape is bad. We all know rape is bad.

Does that mean we shouldn't joke about it? I personally don't think so. Life is dark and short and bad things happen, the least we can do is derive some sort of humor and happiness from those dark, terrible things. Otherwise life is just a depressing mess where everyone just sits and thinks about how horrible everything is and fear mongers all the time.
07-17-2013, 11:36 PM
(07-17-2013 09:21 PM)neonie Wrote:  Rape is a really good example of something that people with either get their panties in a knot over or accept humor as escapism. Neither is inherently wrong, they are just different views and mentality's.

Shit gets dark, life gets dark. Bad things happen, and I think a lot of people don't understand that we use humor to pick our selves UP from those bad situations.

Does that mean we shouldn't joke about it? I personally don't think so. Life is dark and short and bad things happen, the least we can do is derive some sort of humor and happiness from those dark, terrible things. Otherwise life is just a depressing mess where everyone just sits and thinks about how horrible everything is and fear mongers all the time.

On the subject of rape, there's a specific way to go about it to ensure you're joking in a tasteful manner. It all comes down to one singular rule:

Do not make the victim the butt of the joke. You can make the rapist the receiving end of the joke, the "rape joke" could just be a false equivalency where you compare something nowhere near as horrible as rape to rape, you can even make the "rape" act in and of itself so ridiculously over-the-top that no one could ever take it seriously.

But do not make the victim of the rape also the victim of the joke. That is main one rule you NEED to follow.

It's not foolproof, of course, but it's a good general rule.

07-18-2013, 07:44 AM
(07-17-2013 11:36 PM)Stephan Wrote:  
(07-17-2013 09:21 PM)neonie Wrote:  Rape is a really good example of something that people with either get their panties in a knot over or accept humor as escapism. Neither is inherently wrong, they are just different views and mentality's.

On the subject of rape, there's a specific way to go about it to ensure you're joking in a tasteful manner. It all comes down to one singular rule:

Do not make the victim the butt of the joke. You can make the rapist the receiving end of the joke, the "rape joke" could just be a false equivalency where you compare something nowhere near as horrible as rape to rape, you can even make the "rape" act in and of itself so ridiculously over-the-top that no one could ever take it seriously.

But do not make the victim of the rape also the victim of the joke. That is main one rule you NEED to follow.

It's not foolproof, of course, but it's a good general rule.

And that's the problem with most guys on the Internet who make rape jokes. They often times don't get how horrible rape truly is, and will often make the victim feel much worse by making them the butt of the joke. The victim, a person who forcibly went through a traumatic sexual experience that can never be undone. And yet those same assholes will complain about the victims and sympathizers getting offended.

"It's a joke!"

Well, it wasn't a very good one, huh?

[Image: tumblr_o50z6sCEXP1usrgjso2_540.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Ezekieru's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)