New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
AbridgedForums Challenge #4 Official Thread
04-06-2013, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 04:30 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
Video AbridgedForums Challenge #4 Official Thread
AbridgedForums Challenge #4
Characters
Hosted by 1Kids

Welcome to the AbridgedForums Challenge #4.

Post any entries or comments here! All information is in the above video.

Videos must be entered by AF Live on June 1st!

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 08:21 PM by concrete Building.)
RE: AbridgedForums Challenge #4 Official Thread
So just to be clear on deadlines, the only ACTUAL deadline is the next AF Live, right? No specific dates for deadlines?

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes, and I believe that, barring any unforeseen circumstances, that will be Saturday, May 4th

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I have one question, using music that's from a different show for ambiance, does that count in your head as a reference? Same question for using a popular song (ex. Don't Stop Believing).

I ish teh Scourgemaster
http://www.youtube.com/user/IishTehScourgemaster
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
References are not against the rules, so it's not really relevant what the definition of the label is. I'm not going to watch a video and think "Hmmm, that one part counts as a reference therefore minus 1.3 percentage points"

But it's not likely to help you, since reference humor tends to be unoriginal, not creative, and unfunny. Plus, the point of the contest is to use characters to accomplish certain goals... I don't see how making a reference can help with that.

So, to answer your question, perhaps, but it largely doesn't matter what it's labelled. Do what you think is best.

04-06-2013, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 10:16 PM by concrete Building.)
This is 1kids's challenge. Personally, I wouldn't risk anything being a reference. If it's questionable, don't do it.

Also, thanks for the clarification.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
This is gonna sound like a weird question but...

Can I put the video as "private" with only "1kidsentertainment" as a viewable user, or at the very least set it to "unlisted"?

I want to use a future episode as the entry but I have episodes before that to do so I want to limit the amount of public access to this entry.

Like I said, weird request.

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
04-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Well I better start finding some VAs to work with me...
04-07-2013, 12:25 AM
(04-06-2013 11:18 PM)AnimeLawyers Wrote:  This is gonna sound like a weird question but...

Can I put the video as "private" with only "1kidsentertainment" as a viewable user, or at the very least set it to "unlisted"?

I want to use a future episode as the entry but I have episodes before that to do so I want to limit the amount of public access to this entry.

Like I said, weird request.

Well here's the thing... Who do you not want to see it? Fans? Or fellow abridgers? Or both? Because you have to submit your entry here, so some people are going to see if, even if you don't make it 100% public.

I'd prefer to have it embedded on the thread. It'll make it a lot easier for me to sit down and judge videos.

04-07-2013, 12:31 AM
I was thinking if I set the video to private and then put your youtube account name on the list that can see it, then embed it here, that would theoretically make it so only you can view it (and it would be embedded here).

Projects:
04-07-2013, 01:01 AM
But you do realize that if you win, people would need to see your episode anyways, right?

And for documentation's sake, it's best that I have all the videos here in one thread. So I don't forget entries.

04-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Why don't you just put it on unlisted? It will still embed that way, and you won't have to deal with the hazards of putting a video on private and then making sure the relevant parties can see it.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
04-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Gonna give this one a try. Nice work 1kids for giving back so much to the abridged community.
04-07-2013, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 01:39 AM by Airrest.)
(04-07-2013 01:34 AM)myfriendjoseph Wrote:  Nice work 1kids for giving back so much to the abridged community.

These sound like attempted trolling words.

But feel free to make an entry. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Airrest's post
04-07-2013, 01:52 AM
(04-07-2013 01:01 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  if you win, people would need to see your episode anyways, right?

If I win, then I'd be okay with everyone on the forums seeing it.

(04-07-2013 01:01 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  it's best that I have all the videos here in one thread. So I don't forget entries.

It was going to be embbed to this thread.

Regardless, I'll just try "unlisted" and remind people that the episode is essentially an early showing.

Projects:
04-08-2013, 11:37 AM
So can this one shot be a discussion between two different anime characters?

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I think it's funny that you give a 10 minute limit, and don't let people establish character moments, but when you bring up moments about Friends and how you felt for the characters you bring up the last episode as an example of a different emotion other than humor.

The reason those emotions are possible is because you already established what is expected of a character.

I'm not saying conveying emotions isn't possible in 10 minutes. I'm saying it's a Herculean task to ask individuals who already have trouble not quoting "YOLO" and "#SWAG" to make characters that you feel for, on an emotional level in an anime parody video with no prior foundation for the character.
04-08-2013, 12:32 PM
(04-08-2013 12:04 PM)xerostyle Wrote:  I think it's funny that you give a 10 minute limit, and don't let people establish character moments, but when you bring up moments about Friends and how you felt for the characters you bring up the last episode as an example of a different emotion other than humor.

The reason those emotions are possible is because you already established what is expected of a character.

I'm not saying conveying emotions isn't possible in 10 minutes. I'm saying it's a Herculean task to ask individuals who already have trouble not quoting "YOLO" and "#SWAG" to make characters that you feel for, on an emotional level in an anime parody video with no prior foundation for the character.

wouldn't be a challenge if it were easy dude.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
[+] 1 user Likes walter's post
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 04:10 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
(04-08-2013 12:04 PM)xerostyle Wrote:  I think it's funny that you give a 10 minute limit, and don't let people establish character moments, but when you bring up moments about Friends and how you felt for the characters you bring up the last episode as an example of a different emotion other than humor.

Yes, I used the last episode of Friends as an example, and yes, that obviously is way past 10 minutes. But like you yourself pointed out, it's still possible in 10 minutes and that's why I didn't make the limit 5 minutes.

Maybe you don't understand the point of our challenges. It's to challenge people.

(04-08-2013 11:37 AM)MrSkoringo Wrote:  So can this one shot be a discussion between two different anime characters?

It doesn't have to be a one-shot, but it can be. And it can be a discussion, it could be visual humor, it could be nonsense, or it could be in a different language.

Know your audience and your strengths as a writer. The rules are pretty lax and the judging is fairly straightforward. Do what you think is best.

[+] 5 users Like 1KidsEntertainment's post
04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm not going to participate in this challenge, since I've my own projects to worry about right now. But like xerostyle I couldn't help but find the Friends comparison to be rather odd given how it's an episodic series and all those laugh and love moments are build-ups and developments from previous episode happenings.

To help people at the very least, I would invite them to think of the project less Friends and more Paperman, which managed to make us laugh and feel at the same time in under 10 minutes. So it can be done, just gotta be creative like that was.

[+] 5 users Like Il Juude's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)