New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@Mentions?
05-31-2013, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 09:20 AM by PaleShadow.)
@Mentions?
Hi all, just wanted to make this suggestion since it might prove to be a helpful addition to the forum if it's possible to make it work.

At the forum I moderate, we have a plug-in that enables a facebook style @ mention capability to user posts (i.e. @Airrest). When a user is @ mentioned, they receive a notification that links them back to the post they were mentioned in. It's dead useful in long threads, or to bring something to the attention of a particular user. It also turned the @mentioned user's username into a link to their profile page.

Example: http://yumetaki.net/forums/showpost.php?...ostcount=1

One of my posts on the site I mod at. I @ mentioned the two members at the top of the post.

That is running vB, however, and I'm not entirely sure if a similar plug-in has been made to suit other forum types, like MyBB here.

Just a thought. Psychotic Grin

[Image: paleshadowsig.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: @Mentions?
That sounds really cool, I like it.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Cool. ^^

Here's an example too (which I'll add to the OP). Last I checked, non-members should be able to see posts in this section of the forum, but let me know if you can't.

http://yumetaki.net/forums/showpost.php?...ostcount=1

One of my posts over there. I @mentioned the two members at the top of the post.

I forgot to say before that, on top of notifying the user mentioned, it also turns the mentioned users username into a link to their profile page. Which is also useful for linking people to others, for help and whatnot.

[Image: paleshadowsig.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
05-31-2013, 06:44 PM
I like the concept and it would be really handy, BUT I could see this being easily abused. Say an overly anxious abridging fan joins, sees this system and who is a member.

@PurpleEyeWTF
@1KidsEntertainment

I AM SUCHA HUGE FAN OF YUR SHOWS!!!!
I like 2th of them Evn ThUogh mENTS are differentds than Bridged's!!!

WoUld You appear in mai showz! XD X3

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
[+] 2 users Like TheHawk's post
05-31-2013, 07:01 PM
(05-31-2013 06:44 PM)TheHawk Wrote:  I like the concept and it would be really handy, BUT I could see this being easily abused. Say an overly anxious abridging fan joins, sees this system and who is a member.

@PurpleEyeWTF
@1KidsEntertainment

I AM SUCHA HUGE FAN OF YUR SHOWS!!!!
I like 2th of them Evn ThUogh mENTS are differentds than Bridged's!!!

WoUld You appear in mai showz! XD X3

Well if they feel like it'd really be a problem, if it were at all possible, they could just put member requirements on the system like they did with the votes.

Though Purpleeyeswtf is never around here anyways, and I'd kinda guess that 1Kids would just turn his off or somethin'.

Cool idea overall.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
05-31-2013, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 07:43 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
We can easily institute a rule saying that they can't be abused or you get marks on your account. That should take care of it.

I like how you tried appealing to my thinking by doing the ment/burdged thing though.

You get brownie pointspoints are not redeemable for brownies

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

06-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I've actually added this silently in the past. It... wasn't as great as I thought it would be. If everybody really wants it though, I'll bring it back for real this time.
06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe it wasn't great because no one knew about it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)