New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Bad Posts
06-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Dealing with Bad Posts
Hey everyone.

For the past month or so, we've had a spike in new members. Most of them have been great and pithy new additions to the community, but some have been...dumb. Unfortunately this is a characteristic of new waves of members; it has happened before and it will probably happen again. Many new members have been making stupid, incoherent and valueless posts, and recently, in order to combat this, one of the mods made a gag account called Grammar Nazi. The idea was to force some of the newer members to not make shit posts and while they absolutely had the best of intentions with Grammar Nazi, we've been getting a lot of complaints about the account so it will be shelved.

AbridgedForums has an age limit of 16 in order to help curb the tide of shit posting from immature people. We ended up making this rule after about a month long period where a member continually derailed threads, made inappropriate remarks to other users, and generally acted like an idiot. We'd like to avoid repeating that, because that sort of behavior makes for a poor environment to enjoy any website, let alone a forum for discussing inane Internet anime parodies. For the most part we've avoided that with the age limit, however, with this being the Internet and there being zero accountability, people can slip in without our knowing and even people in their twenties can act like jackasses.

I know a lot of our regular members have been complaining about the dumb posters, so rather than try another tactic that may end up upsetting you all again, we'd like to hear from you directly. Is shit posting enough of an issue that its has interfered with your use of AF? Do you think we ought to take any action, or make a new rule? Is there another solution that we're overlooking?

Even if you don't have a direct solution, we'd like you to use this thread to share your point of view, and then hopefully we can figure this out together.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: Dealing with Bad Posts
Well thanks for this. Sorry about mine I will read and make sure mine, are coherent and understandable.

tumblr: http://monotonedreaper.tumblr.com/
06-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Oh Truth, who needs Grammar Nazi when we have you?

#Sweg
06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
If I had made any stupid posts, I apologize for my stupidity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2013, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2013 11:07 PM by LightningCrabz.)
(06-14-2013 09:33 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  I know a lot of our regular members have been complaining about the dumb posters, so rather than try another tactic that may end up upsetting you all again, we'd like to hear from you directly. Is shit posting enough of an issue that its has interfered with your use of AF? Do you think we ought to take any action, or make a new rule? Is there another solution that we're overlooking?

Even if you don't have a direct solution, we'd like you to use this thread to share your point of view, and then hopefully we can figure this out together.

I think what we need for the new members is just a little more handholding, really. Whenever people start incomplete or half-assed threads in the audition section, we do a good job of redirecting them quickly to Code's template thread. Then they get a handle on the way we run things as far as auditioning goes.

Maybe we should expand this, and do a sort of newbie tutorial for the basics of posting on AF (such a tutorial could be played off for some laughs too). All the etiquette of the site, and the unwritten rules all the regulars know. Maybe some of the in-jokes too.

Example:

1. Check through the thread archives before starting a new topic, and make sure there isn't already a thread for what you're thinking of.
2. Please make an effort to use correct spelling and grammer. This is the internet of course, but we're also all over 16. Typing at a minimum 6th grade level shouldn't be a challenge.
3. Discussion of torrents or file sharing is not permitted. Support official releases.
4. References are the devil, and you shall be shunned for using them.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes LightningCrabz's post
06-15-2013, 12:21 AM
[Image: 147d5y.jpg]

Joking aside, I agree with LC.
06-15-2013, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 01:04 AM by OoziHobo.)
I don't think a rule needs to exist to enforce grammar or overall quality of posts. As much as I would like to see commas, capitalization, and coherent thoughts in general, I don't think it is worth hindering whatever discourse may happen in spite of those. I care more about new perspectives than how they're communicated, but that doesn't mean we can't lead by example or at the very most, have it be like a suit and tie kind of deal--expected, but not required.

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes OoziHobo's post
06-15-2013, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 01:39 AM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
No one here has proposed any real solution to the very real problem. So long as we have a plethora of members who is have are when they did who you aren't hey can't now speak some rooster got me had fruit like this, the atmosphere of the forum suffers, as it gets run over by children who lie about their age or adults who have the mental capacity of children. Leading by example is what we've been doing for over 2 years now. It's painfully evident that it is just not enough.

I don't want to legislate grammar or spelling any more than the next person (that would be what an actual grammar nazi does), but if you guys don't like the idea of an account that calls people out for not trying to sound like adults, then we need some real alternatives or the problem will likely remain or get worse.

I'm all for ditching the Grammar Nazi, but not without a suitable replacement fix for the problem.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
06-15-2013, 02:20 AM
(06-15-2013 01:38 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  if you guys don't like the idea of an account that calls people out for not trying to sound like adults, then we need some real alternatives or the problem will likely remain or get worse.

I'm all for ditching the Grammar Nazi, but not without a suitable replacement fix for the problem.

The best I can do for a solution is to use proper grammar(as I usually do). The only thing I can think of is having the majority of the community here use proper grammar. Hopefully, newcomers or original members will adapt. I personally didn't like the Grammar Nazi, because he seemed cheeky than anything. It seemed like this character wanted to annoy people than help them. Now that I reflect on it, he was intentionally trying to help people out. As a first impression though, not the best choice. Especially with the name.

#Sweg
06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I actually like LC's idea, of a sort of "unwritten rulebook." When a new member makes their first post in the introduction thread, or makes a first post elsewhere and doesn't seem to "get it," we could direct them to that. Sort of a "you won't get banned for not following these rules, but if you don't want to irritate the other people here you should follow these," base.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Is people making bad threads really that big of an issue? They're easily ignored, and the rating system can help make a point for you without adding to an already useless topic.

06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I like Lc's too. I agree with replay I felt Grammer Nazi was trying to be funny and just annoy. I didn't feel that I myself, did so bad and felt posted so much towards my forum post I felt like I was attacked.

But sorry if my post were incoherent, like i've said I'll check on my post.

06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
(06-15-2013 11:22 AM)monotonedreaper Wrote:  I like Lc's too. I agree with replay I felt Grammer Nazi was trying to be funny and just annoy. I didn't feel that I myself, did so bad and felt posted so much towards my forum post I felt like I was attacked.

But sorry if my post were incoherent, like i've said I'll check on my post.

HeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbangHeadbang

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

06-15-2013, 11:40 AM
(06-15-2013 11:19 AM)Stephan Wrote:  Is people making bad threads really that big of an issue? They're easily ignored, and the rating system can help make a point for you without adding to an already useless topic.

With a community as big as AF is, under most circumstances it wouldn't, but we've been getting a lot of them really quickly and people have been complaining. When you get 7 new threads per day by the same person, and have to split threads almost every time you log on, it is a bit of a problem.

In any event, Monotone and Jacob, it's nothing against you two personally. You just get a lot of word salads thrown around and it leaves a bad first impression is all. If either of you can acclimate, I'm sure you'll do fine. And acclimating is part of the solution, possibly.

06-15-2013, 11:43 AM
A resource to point people to would be fantastic! Given that everyone's internet experiences are different, not everyone will have the same definition of "quality" post. For instance, you could spend years on a few different forums and only experience places were spam posts are the status quo. A community expectations resource would be a great way to have a baseline for community expectations. We don't want to hinder discussion based on superficial copy errors. We do want to provide a resource to aid those that do want to engage the community in the most productive way.

We're a board full of creative people that can make flashy things. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something interesting. VAA used to have (still has?) a cute audio sketch giving some helpful tips and expectations for new talent and new directors on the boards. The Oatmeal also has some cute posters on grammar and usage.

06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Well thanks, I would like someone to please atleast post on my Fallout 4 predictions. sorry about the split thing you had to do but I got annoyed quick.

06-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I think the main problem that we're going to keep running into is that we are on an ABRIDGED forum. All of the posts by nature should be extremely simplified and shortened versions of what they could be...also we're not the brightest people. I mean, look how we spend our free time, seriously.

But I love my Beefalo!
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
(06-15-2013 11:19 AM)Stephan Wrote:  Is people making bad threads really that big of an issue? They're easily ignored, and the rating system can help make a point for you without adding to an already useless topic.

The problem lies not with the concept, but the massive influx of bad posts and threads lately. Sure, we can simply ignore the people making those negative attributes of the forum, but other new members might continue to support those things, and the overall quality of the forum will deteriorate more so than it already has. It's been an evident problem for the past few weeks, and we feel we should open up communications with you, our core user base, to see if there's any solutions you have in mind for this issue. This forum is as much your home as it is ours, and we don't wish to implement any new rules without your consent or creativity in mind.

I'm with Code in the fact that having a pinned etiquette guidelines thread for newcomers will help heal some of the damage, and there were also a few other ideas I've heard from some people on Skype. Harry, for example, asked if perhaps removing the Talkback thread entirely might be a helpful move for the situation. With how critical most of the users of that thread tend to be, it might be better to move sure deep-thinking and helpful criticisms entirely to the Critique section, and have casual talk of the episodes posted in that series' Database thread. That way, the atmospheres of the two sections can stay separate, dictating what should be posted in those areas.

He also had a suggestion for the Live! events, but it doesn't belong in this section, so once I talk to the mods about possibly implementing it, I'll create a separate thread detailing it in the Suggestions section.

Thoughts?

[Image: tumblr_o50z6sCEXP1usrgjso2_540.gif]
06-15-2013, 01:53 PM
It would be great to see some of the other suggestions sent via skype.

06-15-2013, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 02:07 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
100% against the removal of the main thread on the forum. What are you guys smoking? That's the most constructive thread we have, and it's not even where most of the bad posts are. If you want to remove it because of "how critical most of the users of that thread tend to be," you might as well just have the whole forum close up shop. This is a forum about criticism. That's what that thread is: Criticism, in every form.

It's also a great way for people to experience new things. We've successfully established that people should only post noteworthy videos in the thread, either for their good example or for their constructive possibilities. No offense to you guys with critique threads, but I don't read the majority of your reviews. I do read most of the reviews in that thread. This is because critique threads serve a different purpose than the talkback thread: They are for people who want critique on their own content, looking for people who are willing to give critique. The talkback thread is an opportunity for everyone to critique anything, regardless of the creator being on the forum or not, for better and for worse.

I repeat: I am 100% against the removal of the talkback thread.

[+] 6 users Like 1KidsEntertainment's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)