New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Bad Posts
06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
RE: Dealing with Bad Posts
Throwing the spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, but one thing I thought of was how some equipment or programs require a safety test before being allowed to use it. What if there was a test that new members were encouraged to take so that they could be informed about their shortcomings before possibly posting something less than desirable?

I can elaborate on the idea more if needed, but I think that the idea will proceed or be shot down based on that concept alone.

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
-Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2013, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 02:42 PM by ThroneofCipher.)
My personal take is that it doesn't really annoy me. I get the idea what they're saying most of the time (which is pretty shameful of me, because I'm an English major Smile) I mean, you can always use a warning system of whatever strike you want, but my idea is that it's the freaking internet. Regardless of age, people are going to type very unreadable posts. Keep in mind, the people that come to the internet come to be very lazy with their communication skills through text. I see how it's annoying some of you, so really, I don't care what you guys do. Just be generous of people's mistakes and move forward. People can learn.

EDIT: Did you also think, maybe instead of looking at the downside of this "grarmer catisptope", you can turn it into a fun thing like jacksfilms does? Options, people.

[+] 2 users Like ThroneofCipher's post
06-15-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 02:55 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
Hahaha, I'd love a Your Grammar Sucks for AbridgedForums.

For those who don't know what that is:

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
06-15-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 06:57 PM by ArkaKun.)
I don't think there is any real solution to this problem. It's everywhere in the internet. We've all seen those stupid YouTube comments that make absolutely no sense. Even if you tell them (nicely) to fix their spellings and grammars, they'd just reply saying, "dis es da intarniit. u don need no gramer u fag". That's the problem. We need to eradicate this whole "This is the internet, and proper grammar is not necessary" idea.

How? Again, it should be sort of like an "unwritten rule" thing. If you (the mods) notice that certain people are constantly making posts that are hard to understand, message them (nicely) and tell them to pay attention to their spellings and grammar directly. Tell them to use Microsoft Word if they have to. I mean, if you copy and paste one of those posts in word, it'll be filled with red and green underlines. Tell them to type their posts in MS Word first, try to eliminate most of the red and green lines and then copy and paste that into here in AF. At least, the post will be good in MS Word's point of view (which is more than good enough).

Even if those posts are completely understandable, I, personally, don't feel like replying to those threads just because how unprofessional they sound. They could've said/asked the exact same thing properly and perhaps I would've actually participated in the discussion.

I too thought that "Grammar Nazi" was just trying to be funny and annoying. It would've been better if GN only replied once in a while. The way GN was replying to posts after posts, sort of got a tiny insanity bit annoying. I didn't know that it was run by a MOD and I actually thought, "Yeah, he is this close to getting his ass banned from here". Again, perhaps GN would've seemed more serious and less joke if he replied to fewer posts.

As much as the idea "Your Grammar Sucks" for AF would be funny, I don't support it. Even though the member list here is somewhat long, only a handful of us regularly make posts. Making a video and directly making fun of those people just sounds wrong. One of my posts could be a victim of that and I sure wouldn't be too pleased about it. JF has hundreds of thousands of comments and even if those people he made fun of unsubscribe to him, or send him hateful comments, those wouldn't even be visible. However, in AF, those will. As I mentioned earlier, just message them.

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
[+] 1 user Likes ArkaKun's post
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
That's fair enough, Arka, but without any true enforcement, the problems may continue to happen. If we message someone and they either ignore it, don't read it, or don't take the advice, the issue remains.

I think that perhaps, to make it enforced, that people can get strikes on their account (albeit small) if they get multiple warnings and continue to ignore them. At the end of the day, people who ignore these suggestions can't be allowed to continue, or these soft solutions will not work.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

06-15-2013, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 07:09 PM by ArkaKun.)
The issue will always remain to a certain extent. I don't think there is any way of completely solving this problem. After all, we are all sitting behind a computer screen (or whatever device you're using), so we are free to type anyhow we want and it's very easy to ignore stuff. But at least, even if 5 people take the advice, and suppose they make one post each, that's 5 good posts which could have been bad (I hope GN doesn't attack me on this line).
A small warning to the people that are clearly ignoring your advice is fair, I think. Give it a try.

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
06-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I definitely agree with Eze and Code. Having pinned guidelines would possibly help. Would it be possible to have new users automatically directed to a guidelines thread once they set up their account? Whether or not they read it is another matter.

As for the recent posts, I avoided most of them, my main concern was the number of spam threads that have been popping up as of late. Most of the posts and thread problems I've seen have come from a member (we all know who) who has been a member of this forum for some time and has lately been drawing a lot of negative attention to himself. I don't think he means it, but that is the only real problem I've noticed. The new users haven't been bad to me. Many of them have contributed well to the conversations.

I do have one suggestion to cut down on the number of spam threads we've been seeing. Would it be possible to put a cap on the number of threads a person can make in a certain period of time? Like 1 a day, or 4 a week, or something along those lines? There is no reason for a user to make 5 separate threads in 3 days that have no real purpose or merit.

A downside, I know, would be that this could cut down on forum traffic, but the average user makes less than a handful of threads a month as it is.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes TheHawk's post
06-15-2013, 08:44 PM
I reject the claim that it's one person. It's not.

06-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I didn't mean it was only one person. I just meant that the majority of the complaints I heard people make were directed towards one user and the several threads he made in a few days.

I was just highlighting the spamming of threads as an issue that may need to be looked into

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
06-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I think we're talking about this issue in general. Even though the complaints may seem to be directed towards one or two individuals, we don't want to point fingers at anyone in particular. Bad grammar in the internet (in this case, AF) is a thing. We don't want that thing.

Actually, "use proper grammar in all of your posts" is not exactly what we want. If a pinned thread is created, how do we explain what kinds of posts are acceptable and what are not? You can't just say "Your grammar has to be at least 70% accurate" or anything like that. It sounds vague. The types of posts we really want are how a normal human being would communicate, even if they're grammatically wrong (slightly). According to that formula, here's an example:

Acceptable: "Problem is, I don't like that idea."
Not acceptable: "problem that is that the idea i don't like tho."

Reading your post out loud before posting might help.

[+] 3 users Like ArkaKun's post
06-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Maybe when posting a thread it has to be approved by a mod? For every category a mod is allowed to approve threads. Like Cody's main focus as it is, is on the audition threads. It's simple, but I get the drawback is that it'd be a tedious annoyance for the mods.

(06-28-2013 05:59 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  30 posts. 1 month. Can't handle it? Don't vote.
06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
I think a pinned etiquette guide would be perfect. It would be a nice way of reminding everyone the proper way of posting things.

I think banning people, or giving them warnings just 'cause they're grammar be off is extreme, and not productive at all. The more you try to control people's posts, the less free this forum is going to be, and I think it will really suffer because of such. I can already tell you enough people are scared of visiting this forum because of "aggressive" the mods are, and giving warnings over grammar would only make things worse.

It's the internet, people are going to have bad grammar, and people are going to make bad posts. It happens on every forum I've ever visited, and this is the only forums I've seen freak out over it.

TLDR: A pinned etiquette guide would be a nice way to remind everyone of how to use proper grammar, or format posts correctly, without outright, blunt trauma, forcing people to do things as you see fit.

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
(06-17-2013 12:28 PM)mattroks101 Wrote:  It's the internet, people are going to have bad grammar, and people are going to make bad posts. It happens on every forum I've ever visited, and this is the only forums I've seen freak out over it.

It happens a lot. But it doesn't need to. Just because it's very common in the internet does not mean that we should just accept it. Perhaps, it's happening because we all just accept it. May be we shouldn't.

It's true that it happens on every forums. But what if AbridgedForums is a little different? Wouldn't it be nice to have a unique forum where people actually communicate normally? Uniqueness, bro.

(06-17-2013 12:28 PM)mattroks101 Wrote:  I can already tell you enough people are scared of visiting this forum because of "aggressive" the mods are, and giving warnings over grammar would only make things worse.

I don't know how many people would agree with me on this one, but I'd much rather have a smaller community that is nice, controlled and organized properly by the mods than a huge community where 10 people sign up a day, and there are 300 new posts every hour. I like the way AbridgedForums is right now. It's easy to keep up with the posts. I don't want it to be flooded with people. Of course it would be nice to have more people participating in the discussion we have, but I'm just saying.

[+] 1 user Likes ArkaKun's post
06-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Alright, so the etiquette sticky is definitely something we want to do. Besides the things LC mentioned, what are some of the "unwritten rules" around here that you'd want included?

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 02:56 PM by concrete Building.)
(06-16-2013 11:45 AM)yomi133 Wrote:  Maybe when posting a thread it has to be approved by a mod? For every category a mod is allowed to approve threads. Like Cody's main focus as it is, is on the audition threads. It's simple, but I get the drawback is that it'd be a tedious annoyance for the mods.

We only have 5 mods, not including ModX who have their own abridged series and other things in life they attend to, especially 1kids. We have literally hundreds of posts about every week, collectively. A tedious annoyance would be a huge understatement.

As for "unwritten rules", I know keeping on topic has always been one. I know that's kind of moot since we have the UB forum, but it's still nice to see a thread that doesn't get derailed.

Also, I just realized almost nobody uses smilies because it somehow seems taboo.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
06-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Posting restrictions would probably only apply to new (and nefarious) members and could probably be done with not a lot of tweaking. The majority of our posts come from vets here, so the number of moderated posts shouldn't be more than the crap that gets split off already.

I'm in favor of at least partial thread posting restrictions. We don't get many new threads in the audition subforum, and most of the new people that do make a thread usually fail the first time (or more). That, and a lot of people leave after making the initial thread and don't actually participate in the community. There are tons of abandoned threads. Even though it's a slow place, having a post/membership length requirement before new threads in auditions might be a good thing. It'll give people enough time to get involved in the community and be a bit more vested in the projects started here.

Just for you other CB
Dat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat Ass

[+] 2 users Like codeblackhayate's post
06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
(06-18-2013 02:51 PM)concrete Building Wrote:  We only have 5 mods, not including ModX who have their own abridged series and other things in life they attend to, especially 1kids. We have literally hundreds of posts about every week, collectively. A tedious annoyance would be a huge understatement.

I didn't say posts. Just new threads.
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 09:09 PM by LightningCrabz.)
(06-18-2013 05:49 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  Posting restrictions would probably only apply to new (and nefarious) members and could probably be done with not a lot of tweaking. The majority of our posts come from vets here, so the number of moderated posts shouldn't be more than the crap that gets split off already.

I'm in favor of at least partial thread posting restrictions. We don't get many new threads in the audition subforum, and most of the new people that do make a thread usually fail the first time (or more). That, and a lot of people leave after making the initial thread and don't actually participate in the community. There are tons of abandoned threads. Even though it's a slow place, having a post/membership length requirement before new threads in auditions might be a good thing. It'll give people enough time to get involved in the community and be a bit more vested in the projects started here.

Perhaps we could use the AFL voting requirements for starting new threads? Until you've been here for a month and made 30 (non-spam) posts you need a mod's approval to start a thread.

As far as more "unwritten rules" ideas...
  • Understand that videos are posted on this site to be critiqued by the members. If a video that you created is met with negative response, try not to see it as a bunch of angry neckbeards trying to shoot you down, but rather fellow creators trying to help you improve.
(or something to that respect)

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes LightningCrabz's post
06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
(06-18-2013 05:49 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  Posting restrictions would probably only apply to new (and nefarious) members and could probably be done with not a lot of tweaking. The majority of our posts come from vets here, so the number of moderated posts shouldn't be more than the crap that gets split off already.

Hey, if you guys are all for it, then forget what I said. I thought Yomi was saying this would apply to every single post that wasn't made by a mod. If you guys can do this, then hey. All fine and dandy.

Quote:I'm in favor of at least partial thread posting restrictions. We don't get many new threads in the audition subforum, and most of the new people that do make a thread usually fail the first time (or more). That, and a lot of people leave after making the initial thread and don't actually participate in the community. There are tons of abandoned threads. Even though it's a slow place, having a post/membership length requirement before new threads in auditions might be a good thing. It'll give people enough time to get involved in the community and be a bit more vested in the projects started here.
Hey, that sounds so much better, and it would probably drive away those who only want to post here maybe once to say "HEY VOIZE IN MY ABRRGD SEERRERS" and then leave. Those people and the bot count may go down, if there has been a bot count.

Quote:Just for you other CB
Dat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat AssDat Ass

Hey, I wasn't against smilies. From reading some other posts this past year, it seemed to me that it annoyed more people. Undecided

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)