New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Your Favourite Anime Series?
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Rainbow What's Your Favourite Anime Series?
For a forum based around abridging Anime... I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this. If there has been, then I apologize. Anyways, what's your guys' favourite Anime series? Try not to choose something only because of its nostalgia factor. Don't just list your favourite Anime series, add an explanation to why you enjoyed/enjoy the series so much! If you have more than one, feel free to put them there.

I'd have to say that my favourite Anime series was Clannad:Afterstory. If you can bring a person to such a state of depression and sadness for such a long period of time with something fake... you've won me over.

[Image: 179241_488951311161627_177370690_n.jpg]

#Sweg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
RE: What's Your Favourite Anime Series?
Currently my favorite anime is Senyu. But overall my favorite anime would have to be the original Tenchi Muyo.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]
07-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Favorite anime is definitely Cowboy Bebop. I know, original right?
07-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Nanoha, followed closely by Shana

[Image: xRZxm17.gif]
07-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Top Three -

Dragonball, FMAB/FMA, Death Note.

The only other anime I actually like -

Big O, Bebop, Blood +, Naruto, Code Geass, Initial D, Trigun, Afro Samurai, DBZ, Yugioh, FLCL, Evangelion, GITS, Pokemon, Inuyasha, Champloo, Prince of Tennis, Yu-Yu Hakushow, and Samurai 7.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Back in the 90s when the only anime that were produced were the ones that could last longer than 13-26 episodes and the majority of it was not about dorky schoolkids and their shitty love stories, there was a show called Rurouni Kenshin. It is probably the only manga I have bothered to read a significant portion of.

Rurouni Kenshin is a historical/action story about a samurai who wanders around Japan, seeking to atone for the sins he committed as a manslayer during the Meiji Revolution (1860s). He eventually settles at the Kamiya dojo The show itself starts out as a more episodic style, where Kenshin will defeat or win over the villain of the day, with a few minor arcs put in here and there for actual storyline purposes. About 28 episodes in however (I realize it's difficult to imagine an anime lasting that long these days), the first major arc kicks in and the show goes from being "good" to "freaking awesome." Plot points set in the original episodic part start to come full circle, as a massive battle begins to center around the city of Kyoto.

For me, this show really sets the standard of what an action animation ought to be like. It's more grounded in reality than shows like DBZ, but it's still fantastic enough that you're not going to be bored with philosophical or political waxing like Gundam. The author went above and beyond in making each battle entertaining, and made every character interesting without being over-the-top macho or wacky. For what it's worth, the author of Rurouni Kenshin, Nobuhiro Watsuki, trained the author of Shaman King as well as Eiichiro Oda, the author of One Piece.

Two things to look out for: 1) There are two dubs of Ruroken. The first one was the MediaBlasters dub, which is great, but since it came out pre-Cowboy Bebop it can be a bit hokey. The second dub is the International dub, or the Crackle dub, and this one is terrible and to be avoided at all costs. 2) I'd recommend only watching up to the episode 66 or so, if you want a happy ending. The reason for this is that the manga was still being finished when the anime was being produced, so there is a lot of filler after the end of the Kyoto arc. There are a few one-off episodes here and there that are worth your time, but under no circumstances should you watch the anime ending. It's pretty terrible.

And that's all I really have to say on the matter. If you've seen me post on this forum for any period of time you know I generally dislike anime, so any sort of recommendation on my part is bound to be worth your while. Rurouni Kenshin is, by a large margin, my favorite. Even outside of anime, it is up there as one of my favorite shows of all time. It's definitely worth checking out, whether or not you're an anime fan.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
07-17-2013, 11:28 PM
So what I'm getting from this is that a lot of you don't like anime (or at least modern anime, which I consider to be good anime). Hmm...

07-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Well it really depends. The past couple of seasons I've been able to find a few things here and there that I liked, even if it was despite myself. I'm definitely not a fan of the generic rom-com/moeblob formula that's been dominant for the past number of years though.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
07-17-2013, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 11:49 PM by neonie.)
I honestly have no idea what anyone refers to when they say "moe" as a genre. I know what it means in terms of characters, but as far as treating it like the genre of a show I don't really get it. Or rather I don't feel like that's a fair way to judge a show...

The show has cute girls in it, therefore it sucks?

07-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I think he is referring to the shows that seem to sell themselves entirely on the grounds that they are filled with "kawaii" girls whose worlds revolve around the main characters. I know he likes some moe shows, like Clannad, but those are shows that manage to rise above the generic high school romcom moeisms and be something a bit more.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
[+] 2 users Like TheHawk's post
07-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Here's my problem: By classifying things as "moe" and "not moe", you could easily wind up writing off stuff like GJ-bu. Gj-bu contains cute girls, but GJ-Bu is also fantastic. I'm not even typically into slice of life shows unless there is some sort of hook, but GJ-bu manages to do slice of life in a way I actually find really appealing.

What I'm saying is, the "moe" classification is shallow as all get out. It is basically qualitatively basing your judgement of a show on a single factor, as opposed to actually watching a show to see if you like it, and then even if you do, your going in with the bias of "Well this show has cute girls in, so it must be targeted at -THAT- audience so I'm going to hate it."

07-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Alright, let me give you an example: K-On! It's a show about cute girls who do cute anime girl things. And that's basically the entire premise. There's some other background stuff about them belonging to a club that plays music, but 90% of what you'll get out of that show is them dicking around the clubroom doing and saying "moe" things. Another example is Lucky Star, which is one of those shows that I like despite myself. A lot of people call it "Seinfeld: The Anime" because all it seems like they do is sit around a table and talk, and while that formula may have worked with whomever wrote Lucky Star, high school girls running around getting into random hijinks that just happen to pander to the otaku base are a dime a dozen these days at the expense of other shows.

And therein lies the big beef. K-On and Lucky Star aren't by themselves the death knell of anime and the fact that they themselves were successful doesn't hurt me to any degree. The problem is, the fact that they were successful means that many, many others have tried to imitate a rather basic and bland premise, similar to how every action show around the turn of the millennium wanted to be the Dragon Ball.

Now you combine these with all of the generic school life rom-coms, harems and obvious pervert bait shows, stuff like Oreimo, and that's about half of the current anime line up, with spots open for the generic mecha shows and post-apocalyptic/steampunk/Industrial shows that appeal to that niche. Don't take my word for it, here: http://i3.minus.com/iOwOD68llpOX4.jpg Anything in that list that falls under one of those categories, as well as anything with "imouto" in the title, I ignore. By doing that, you realize why shows like Ruroken and DBZ are getting new movies, and why Jojos Bizarre Adventure got a multi-season remake. Attack on Titan is probably the biggest popular stand out that hasn't had to rely on wacky ecchi antics since Death Note.

So this is the big trend in anime right now, and I dislike it. I dislike it almost as much as the equally generic DBZ-clones of yesteryear, with the exception that those had swords and that often made them better.

07-18-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 09:26 AM by Ezekieru.)
Anyone who knows me knows my favorite show is Code Geass. The original, R2, the picture and sound dramas, Akito the Exiled; pretty much everything involving the IP just hits me. It's part of my teenaged years, it has a good story, and while it does get hammy and utterly dumb a lot of times, it still holds up incredibly well despite all the years past.

Quickly following that up, no shocker, is A Certain Magical Index. I dunno' why, but the show's duality complex is really intriguing to me. Magic versus psychics, religion versus science, the weakest versus the strongest. Touma, despite only having a power-nullifying right hand, steps up against the most devastating powers on both sides of the fence, just so someone will be saved from an unfortunate fate. It's a good show, and while I'm not that big of a fan of the majority of Railgun, it's a decent show as well.

'Course I like a lot of older anime too, the usual entourage of DBZ, the orignal Gundam and G Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, etc. But those two on top will still be my favorites, probably for many years to come.

As for my favorite anime this season, gotta' give it up to Attack on Titan. Dangan Ronpa is also interesting to watch, especially if you've read anything about the games that came out before it. Only other things I'm checking out are WATAMOTE, Gatchaman Crowds, and the new Genshiken. :V

[Image: tumblr_o50z6sCEXP1usrgjso2_540.gif]
07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Ich bin Anime Luddite.

[Image: 334169_200x130.png?v=1391966336.19]
07-18-2013, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 09:53 AM by OoziHobo.)
My favorite anime is a tie between Gurren Lagann and Cowboy Bebop, but I really don't feel like writing up an explanation for either of those anime. Who doesn't know about them, right? Instead, I am going to write about my third place runner-up, an anime I'm known to be familiar with, called Trigun.

Vash the Stampede is pretty much Batman in a different setting. Both are the best at what they do, nobody beats Batman in martial arts, and nobody beats Vash with a gun. That sounds like it would be rather boring, right? But they both share the same catch, they both refuse to take a single life no matter the circumstances. This is where most of the stakes and tension is derived for both heroes, always at a disadvantage, but always managing to save the day without any kind of compromise. Where as Batman has Gotham, Vash has planet Gunsmoke (which is only seven towns), but both are filled with a population that believes might makes right. Furthermore, both Batman and Vash have some of the most bizarre, wackiest, gimmicky villains. Now, whether or not they dispose of said villain because of justice or because of love/peace is up to each hero and their word choice. And I say word choice instead of motivation because both are driven by the death of their parental(s).

Characters aside, the show Trigun starts episodically and layers on the information at a good pace, answering some questions while raising other, but none of it ever halts the story, it's all just self-contained adventures with a couple of insurance girls.

Until the halfway mark. And then Trigun shifts tonally to something else entirely.

The second half of the show has an actual arc, explores some of its themes a little deeper, trades its lighthearted adventures for some heavier stories, has character deaths, character development, and a satisfying conclusion (but with poor execution with its ending).

I also really like the pairings in Trigun. I could probably write a lot more about all the subtle ways they crafted the relationship between Vash and Meryl to be more than just the generic anime love interest, and even though Vash never shows any real feelings towards Meryl, those two have more touching and satisfying moments than most anime couples. But I won't. And you can't make me.

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
07-18-2013, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 01:28 PM by LightningCrabz.)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is my absolute favorite. The first season was bitchin sweet, but the second season was what sealed its place in my heart. I dunno where to start. The atmosphere, the animation, the story, its all great. The dialogue can get a bit needlessly wordy sometimes, but if you can follow most of it, the payoff is there. Plus there's some interesting debates sprinkled throughout about things like what it means to be human, our dependance on technology, and the costs of our advancements. Lots of good stuff.

The score for the show is done by Yoko Kanno, one of the finest composers in Japan. And I think GITS was some of her best work ever.

I'd also like to mention that the english dub had one one of the best all-star casts ever. Mary McGlynn, Richard Epcar, Crispin Freeman, and Dave Wittenburg to name a few of the main members. Then you got Steve Blum and Kirk Thornton playing the major villians.

Aside from GITS, other animes I hold close to my heart are Trigun, Bebop, .hack//sign, Digimon season 1, and Fullmetal Alchemist (original and brotherhood). I wouldn't say its specifically older animes that I dig (because I'm also enjoying some newer ones like Tiger & Bunny), but there's just traits about the older ones that I don't see as often nowadays.

I prefer animes that take themselves seriously and treat their viewers like grown-ups, and try to tell a story. Some humor sprinkled throughout is fine, but cheap pandering and fanservice makes me want to vomit instantly. Overly cutesy lolis doing "cute dances" cause this too.

I guess I miss anime being more of a storytelling medium, rather than a container for all its common tropes and characters that its garnered over the years.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
[+] 2 users Like LightningCrabz's post
07-18-2013, 01:00 PM
My favorite anime is Code Geass. I would lump in it's sequel r2 as part of the package. My favorite longest running anime/manga is Bleach. I enjoy a lot of Gundam series. My favorite is SD GUNDAM 0079. I don't watch hentai, because y'all can do better.

07-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Another show that I love has got to be Death Note, which ties in second place with FMAB. What I love about Death Note is that it's a story from the perspective of the villain. Some people argue Light is not the villain of the story, that he's a well-intentioned extremist and an anti-hero, I respectfully disagree. I see Light as someone who starts on the path of darkness early on and the story basically follows his descent, and while he seems to have nothing but the best of intentions, there is also a selfishness to his goals as he claims that he will becomes "the god of this new world.". The show did lose steam for me when the second season started as it did for a lot of people but I still think it was decent and had some good ideas and moments as well as introduced some interesting characters. Overall I loved the series.
[+] 1 user Likes jpace92's post
07-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Other than Darker Than Black (that's a given), I would have to say my favorite is FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD. Seriously, that show rocks. The plot is simply breathtaking, keeping you on your toes with every twist. Respectfully, I like the fact that no character is immortal. Every single character you meet has the possibility of (and this happens frequently) the chance of dying in an epic fight. No character is too popular to not be killed, keeping the story realistic. The comedy is utterly hilarious with little jokes here and there to get the show rolling on. The action is undeniably fantastic, with the main protagonist not too strong, but strong enough to put up a good fight against amazing innovative villains. The characters are the best I have seen in a series. Everything is well-rounded from the simple epic Roy Mustang, to the passionate Alex Armstrong, and as well as the lovable jerk anti-hero Greed. Not to mention Edward Elric, which shows the best character development I have ever seen in any series - ever. The music makes the action as epic as it can be, and keeps every emotion in the various scenes in check. Finally, the voice acting is fantastic. Every actor/actress both english and japanese make sure to keep this adventure as real as possible.

Honorable mentions:
FULL METAL PANIC/FULL METAL PANIC: FUMOFFU - Best comedy I have ever seen. Plot is also very good with enjoyable characters.

HELLSING ULTIMATE - Very closely picked as favorite. However, needs to be longer. Feels more like movies when one is released. Best English dub ever created.

NARUTO/NARUTO SHIPPUDEN - I mean come on - it's Naruto.

I have just added to your conversation.
[Image: ajdodwp.gif]

07-20-2013, 11:15 AM
My favorites are Baccano!, Trigun, and DTB (a guilty pleasure).

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
[+] 1 user Likes mattroks101's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)