New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need a Pledge of Alliance?
08-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Do we need a Pledge of Alliance?
When I was in elementary school, I would place my hand over my heart, look over at the flag in the classroom, and say the Pledge of Alliance along with the rest of my class.

Back then, it didn't mean much to me. I was taught to do so. But now I'm looking back and I'm wondering why I had to do that at all.

I know that it is a psychological trick. Kids say these words over and over again and then it becomes their norm, so they don't question it. But why would any American need to do this? I have no plans to hurt America, I don't want to betray this country. Saying the pledge didn't make me love America, it never offered me insight to the world. Those words never influenced on how I liked this country. I liked it just fine before I could even speak, and I bet almost every other American is the same way.

If it doesn't really do anything, then should schools across America continue to make kids say the Pledge?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 11:07 PM by OmniKrane.)
RE: Do we need a Pledge of Alliance?
Where I live, I have in fact always questioned the pledge since 1st grade and have always wondered why it was necessary. Luckily, after asking around I found that you don't HAVE to do the pledge if you don't feel comfortable saying it, if it goes against something you believe or if you aren't a citizen. (You can still say it if you're not a citizen). I had learned this only a few years ago in Middle School and since then, every time they tell us to rise for the pledge; instead of "Pledging my Allegiance", I think about how indoctrinating it feels. I just look around me and it feels like everyone is mindless for that one minute the pledge is said. No one says it with emotion, no one mixes it up. It's ingrained into their minds and I get chills just typing about this.

But in reply to your question, I don't believe that the pledge is necessary per se, but if people really feel it is, than maybe it doesn't really matter as long as people can choose not to do it.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]
08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Yes. The thing to remember about the Pledge is that it is not an oath of loyalty to the government. You're not pledging allegiance to Barack Obama, you are pledging allegiance to the flag as a symbol of the Republic, and the virtues which that Republic protects, namely liberty and justice. The Pledge is a very powerful, unifying and educational statement, recited by people of all different races, social strata and even religions in the US. Outside of the national anthem its the only thing that binds us together as Americans.

The main goal of the Pledge isn't to make you swear to not be a traitor. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need Homeland Security. The purpose of the Pledge is to instill patriotism, and whether or not it's needed depends on how you react to the word "patriotism." If you think patriotism's bad, then obviously the Pledge is bad. But I think that so long as you don't go full nutjob, patriotism is a positive force that promotes better empathy among a group of people that already has enough divisions.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
08-03-2013, 04:47 AM
You bring up some good points Truth. I, myself, am indifferent to the pledge. I know a lot of people complain about it, and it's usage of God.

I've always had the belief that if you don't want to say it you don't have to. Even the teachers have said that you don't have to say it, just rise. I did notice though, that we did not recite the pledge in my high school. It became a non-factor. As in, it slowly faded out.

I don't have an issue with the pledge itself, but more of an issue with the people that blow things out of proportion when it comes to the pledge. Those are just my thoughts on the matter.
08-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Is it really an option to not say the Pledge of Alliance when the rest of the classroom is?

If someone finds the Pledge uncomfortable to say and they don't say it, wouldn't it look bad for them? It could look like that person isn't patriotic or that they hate America. They suddenly become a back sheep, which can make them the target for bullying.

And if the person is uncomfortable, then they wouldn't feel better pretending to say the pledge. They might as well be speaking out loud, since it isn't just the words that makes them uncomfortable, it's the atmosphere.

Kids may be told that they don't have to do it, but when all of their peers are doing it and they feel like they are expected to do it, then it doesn't feel like much of a choice.
08-03-2013, 10:32 AM
(08-01-2013 11:27 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Yes. The thing to remember about the Pledge is that it is not an oath of loyalty to the government. You're not pledging allegiance to Barack Obama, you are pledging allegiance to the flag as a symbol of the Republic, and the virtues which that Republic protects, namely liberty and justice. The Pledge is a very powerful, unifying and educational statement, recited by people of all different races, social strata and even religions in the US. Outside of the national anthem its the only thing that binds us together as Americans.

The main goal of the Pledge isn't to make you swear to not be a traitor. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need Homeland Security. The purpose of the Pledge is to instill patriotism, and whether or not it's needed depends on how you react to the word "patriotism." If you think patriotism's bad, then obviously the Pledge is bad. But I think that so long as you don't go full nutjob, patriotism is a positive force that promotes better empathy among a group of people that already has enough divisions.

All nice and dandy. But the fact that it's recited by school children far too young to understand any of that (nor do they know if they will actually feel that way in future) kind of makes it creepy and wrong to me. I have no problem with a consenting adult reciting the pledge. But in schools? With kids? Ehhh...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airrest's post
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
That's like saying that kids shouldn't be made to take part in an anti-drug program like DARE. You really think they understand most of what the councilors for a program like that will be talking about? To me it's just another value that the nation at large wants kids to be exposed to early, to help shape them into (presumably) better people.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
08-03-2013, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:09 PM by Airrest.)
(08-03-2013 10:45 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  To me it's just another value that the nation at large wants kids to be exposed to early, to help shape them into (presumably) better people.

Where is the evidence this makes people better? Many European countries don't have this. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Whereas we have demonstrable proof that drugs are bad, mmkay?

IMO, cut out the useless.

P.S. I know since you said "presumably", you're not positing this, but I'm just saiyan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airrest's post
08-03-2013, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 03:32 PM by OmniKrane.)
(08-03-2013 10:16 AM)ZombieOnTheBrain Wrote:  Kids may be told that they don't have to do it, but when all of their peers are doing it and they feel like they are expected to do it, then it doesn't feel like much of a choice.

That's just one of the many problems of society that may never be fixed. But when you look at people who don't care what society thinks of them, (me, TV hosts, most people on the internet). Peer groups may not matter...

I stated in my earlier post that I don't recite the pledge anymore, that doesn't mean anyone hates me for it -- as far as I know -- I can still hang out with my "friends" without anyone bringing up the fact that I may or may not be un-patriotic for not reciting the pledge.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)