New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batman Beyond
08-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Batman Beyond
Ah yes remember back in days of television there was a cartoon block on Saturday morning called KidsWB home of awesome cartoons like Pinkey and the Brain, Freakazoid, SuperMan the animated series and of course one of the worlds best animated series that is so dark so amazing that nobody can't believe that the FCC approved it Batman The Animated Series. The series lasted nearly four seasons and it was awesome despite the fact that season four kinda did a few changes to the show it was still good. It had best designs for both Gotham city and the heroes and villains, The voices are just cool and Casting Kevin Conroy as the voice for Batman/Bruce Whyne and Mark Hamill as the voice of the Joker was the greatest idea since casting Michael Keaton as the Batman in the
1989 Batman.

When the series was over, Warner Bros decided to make a new batman series that continues the animated series but this one would take place in the furture,Bruce Whyne retires as batman since he was getting older and weaker so weak he resorted to use a gun to threaten a thief something that he swore never to use , Neon Gotham city's crime wave increased including a group gang that pays respect to the joker who was killed by Tim Drake after a failed attempt to turn Tim into a Joker jr,and we were introduce to a new batman a teenager called terry mcgrinnes who happens to be the voice actor of...."RON STOPPBLE getting jokes out of the way the episodes in this series seems to be shorter then the original series. The episodes while a few stand Alones there are a few that made the series tied in with the original series like the return of Barbara Gordon who now the new commersioner, refences to Dick Greyson, and a few returning villains, The stories here are still darker then we thought the new villains seems great and the thought of Bruce being the teacher/father firgue was amazing I kinda like it when this bond between terry and Bruce was form it was like there share something in common *wink wink*. I'm not gonna spoil this for everyone if you wanna see it check it out on Netflix but there's one episode I would recommend to see and you can't find it in its own series,If you wanna see how batman beyond really ended then look up justice league unlimited. Bottom line batman beyond is beyond this world but not as good as the original.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond was a pretty good series. Even though they told a completely different Batman story, it felt natural. Terry was a good replacement who made a good substitute while being his own character. This was a daring adaptation that hit all its marks. Which I can really respect.

And while it's not as popular as Batman the Animated Series, it definitely made a splash. DC is creating another comic based on the show, Terry's suit was a possible skin in Arkham City, and 'Return of the Joker' is considered one of the best Batman animated movies.
Find all posts by this user
08-18-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2013 01:13 PM by LightningCrabz.)
They did a batman beyond comic back in the heyday of the show, and again when they did the new 52 reboot. I found both to be pretty shit. The first one was understandably more cartoony and kid-focused, but the newer one was trying to be more serious and hardcore and the talent working on it was very meh.

I think Batman Beyond was an awesome show that still has a lot of untapped potential left in it, but it kills me that no ones exploring it. I've heard rumors that a film was in the works, but it sounds like its just an idea they're tossing around, and not something being driven with a clear vision behind it like the Nolan or Burton films were.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
08-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I don't see Batman Beyond being a good series to make a live-action movie. There would need to be a lot of CGIs, which would cost money that could be spent on other things. And a lot of background information is needed, which would bog down the movie. Plus, while it does have the word 'Batman' on it, I doubt that it will excite enough people to see it on its release.

I see it as too much work. The studio could get better results making another animated movie or a video game based on the series.
08-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I think a viable option would be to adapt the first 2 episodes into a movie. A sort of origin story movie like how Batman begins was. I think the studios could dig that.

My Personal YT Account
Twitter
08-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Normally, I would say that it is too early to retell the origins since the series isn't that old, but since the Amazing Spiderman did it (poorly, I might add) it shows that studios are willing to do it.

Jokes aside, Terry never really had an interesting origin. It does propel him into becoming Batman, but after the first few episodes, it no longer drives his character. He doesn't refer back to it. In fact, when he was explaining to Bruce why he wears the cowl in Return of the Joker, he says that it is to redeem himself for his lifestyle when he was a selfish teenager, not to avenge his father. Retelling his origin just doesn't seem interesting enough to base a live-action movie on it.

If it were to happen, then it should be a story that connects Terry to Bruce's past. That way the audience can get a better understanding of where Terry stands in the Batman universe. And as previous movies show, only the most recognizable villains appear on the big screen. Since Terry doesn't have any iconic villains, he would have to use on of Bruce's. But Bruce's villains are either too old or dead. The best bet would be to retell Return of the Joker, but it isn't worth the effort to redo since it is successful enough as an animated movie.

There is potential in the Batman Beyond universe, but a live action movie wouldn't be the right direction.
08-19-2013, 12:24 AM
But doesn't everybody know about Terry's backstory that he is a product created by a government that was used to created weapons and man made Heroes that are created to defend the world from the justice league if they ever gone rough ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 07:26 PM by LightningCrabz.)
(08-18-2013 10:38 PM)ZombieOnTheBrain Wrote:  If it were to happen, then it should be a story that connects Terry to Bruce's past. That way the audience can get a better understanding of where Terry stands in the Batman universe. And as previous movies show, only the most recognizable villains appear on the big screen. Since Terry doesn't have any iconic villains, he would have to use on of Bruce's. But Bruce's villains are either too old or dead. The best bet would be to retell Return of the Joker, but it isn't worth the effort to redo since it is successful enough as an animated movie.

There is potential in the Batman Beyond universe, but a live action movie wouldn't be the right direction.

Good points. I'll agree his origin seems disconnected from his character, but I'd say that didn't happen until season 2. What I think WB failed to do in the original show was build Blight up as Terry's archenemy, as his iconic villain. Terry's backstory serves to make his mission against Derek Powers/Blight more meaningful, but they ruin this idea by having him killed at the end of the season. After Blight dies, then what? Then his father's death is no longer proppelling his mission as batman.

And at least if they're going to kill Blight off, then they needed to have some transitional episode, where Terry finds a new motivation to keep doing this. Bruce needed a transition from wanting revenge for his parents' death to wanting to fight evil, and Terry never really got that. I still think retelling his origin story could work for a movie, but they need to iron out kinks from the original series, and map out a definite growth and character arc for Terry.

And if not a live action movie, then a new animated series or something. There's lots of unexplored potential not only in Bruce and Terry, but in the villains as well.

Also, I think the only way I'd go see a Return of the Joker live action movie is if they had Mark Hammil playing Joker. Use mocap/CGI or something.

My Personal YT Account
Twitter
08-19-2013, 09:16 PM
(08-19-2013 12:24 AM)Zero Signer Wrote:  But doesn't everybody know about Terry's back story. That he is a product created by a government that was used to created weapons and man made Heroes that are created to defend the world from the justice league if they ever gone rouge?

That was revealed after the series was completed, in Justice League Unlimited. It's canon, but it isn't his origin. His origin was getting revenge on Blight.

(08-19-2013 07:24 PM)LightningCrabz Wrote:  What I think WB failed to do in the original show was build Blight up as Terry's archenemy, as his iconic villain.

I don't see Blight as archenemy material. He had radioactive powers so he could never go toe-to-toe with Terry consistently without the Knight of Tomorrow getting all sorts of cancers. Shriek or Stalker would have been better fits.

I think that it would be better to give Batman Beyond another television series. Then it would get more attention than the comic book attempts, and it wouldn't be as risky as a single movie.
01-11-2014, 04:49 PM
His real origin wasn't revealed until.. unless I'm wrong.. after Batman Beyond was well into it's run or already finished. His original origin that was shown in the first few episodes was kind of weak.. and it doesn't really make sense. Does Bruce know that Terry is really his clone in the first few episodes? If not, it's basically the most unrealistic coincidence ever.

That being said, I really enjoy the show, and it's cyberpunk / dystopian future. The comic book continuation is pretty awesome as well and much darker than the cartoony comic that went along with the show.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)