New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prove Me Wrong
09-12-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 11:57 AM by Truthordeal.)
Prove Me Wrong
Anime, when taken as a whole, is consistently one of the worst genres/mediums/whatever of entertainment. Of any new season, two shows might be worth watching to anyone who isn't an "anime fan." And yet, it's also the genre that has the most defensive fanbase with the lowest standards in the world. 90% of the "good anime" out there is not up to par with a good live action show, movie or even a "good" western cartoon, and yet this is often excused because anime is SO DIFFERENT! And it gets worse and worse every season.

Disagree? Then prove me wrong.

Show me a series from the past few years that fulfills two criteria: 1) Being a good SHOW, not just a good anime, and 2) One that I haven't seen or am unlikely to ever watch on my own. To make critera two a bit easier, the only anime I've watched in the past couple of years have had to do with swords, mysteries, and mocking things.

Other than that, everything else is fair game. It can be long, short, ongoing, completed, any subgenre, etc.

This challenge will remain for a week's time, after which I will watch the recommended show with the most "likes," and then tell you whether or not you've proven me wrong about anime being shit. You can post up to two, but they need to be separate, preferably non-consecutive posts.

There's your mission anime fans. I'll check this thread again next Friday.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 11:05 PM by eighttailedfox.)
RE: Prove Me Wrong
Steins;Gate

Is my first suggestion.

"I'd described it as, if you figure out the world, geography determines your culture and culture determines your people. And people is what this is all about. Because ultimately if a story doesn't work on a human level then it doesn't work at all." - monty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like eighttailedfox's post
09-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Shiki is pretty good

Check out my website
http://christhenerd92.com

Your momma's so fat her patronus is a cake.
[+] 1 user Likes Christhenerd's post
09-12-2013, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 10:21 AM by MrSkoringo.)
Monster is great

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
[+] 1 user Likes MrSkoringo's post
09-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Usagi Drop

Is my second choice. Extremely f-ing hard to narrow it down to I might add.

And on the off chance I could do a third choice. It'd be Psycho-pass.

"I'd described it as, if you figure out the world, geography determines your culture and culture determines your people. And people is what this is all about. Because ultimately if a story doesn't work on a human level then it doesn't work at all." - monty
[+] 2 users Like eighttailedfox's post
09-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is my second suggestion

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
[+] 2 users Like MrSkoringo's post
09-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Denpa Teki na Kanojo. I agree that anime sucks for the most part though. Only 10% of anime is worth watching if that.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
[+] 1 user Likes TwooGiz's post
09-13-2013, 06:59 AM
....You've got me on this one.

That first criteria is a bitch.

[Image: qw17I0N.png]
[+] 2 users Like Kuu's post
09-13-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 11:29 AM by Stephan.)
I just found a newer anime called "Red Data Girl" which is surprisingly mature in its storytelling sensibilities, and avoids nearly every single anime trope I've seen. It takes a couple episodes to hook you, but it's surprisingly unique by western AND Japanese standards. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if it'll stick the landing, but it's only about 12 episodes.

And this is coming from a guy who watches and enjoys VERY little anime. I usually prefer good western stuff myself.

[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
09-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

It's about magical girls.

#Sweg
[+] 1 user Likes Replay's post
09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
[C] The Money of Soul And Possibilities Control

Its short, but not bad.

AngelThere's No Bigger Star Then An AngelStar.
[+] 1 user Likes Jacob AngelStar's post
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
(09-13-2013 05:23 PM)Jacob AngelStar Wrote:  [C] The Money of Soul And Possibilities Control

Its short, but not bad.

While I enjoyed C: Control, I don't think it matches up with the first criteria. There were a lot of thing that were left unexplained and that were skipped as well. I could go into more detail, but I think the place for that would be in its own thread.

Thanks to this powerful flash, the Hi 8 can now capture a shadow in the distance. The stills, however, are even more clear, revealing that the shadow is really the blur of a man.
-Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
09-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs Of the East

This had me digging for a while. This anime is still ongoing but the first season was fairly well constructed and worth the watch.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes OmniKrane's post
09-14-2013, 02:59 AM
The first I'm going to give you is Hetalia, unless that falls under the "Mocking things"

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
09-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I've never seen Hetalia, but given what I've seen about it on various sites I can be almost certain that I won't like it.

That being said, I figured I'd come in here and clarify a few things.

This is not an anime recommendation thread. I'm pretty sure we have one of those already and even if we don't, I have a few people I know I can trust to give me a good recommendation. This also isn't a "all new animes suck" thread because I know that just with western cartoons there have always been about 50 mediocre to bad ones for every good one even back in the 90s.

What I'm looking for in this thread is a good SHOW that happens to be an anime. Breaking Bad is a good SHOW; Archer is a good SHOW; Evangelion, while a good ANIME, is not a good SHOW. You want an example of a good anime that's also a good show? One Piece and Attack on Titan are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head, and One Piece is questionable because of how slow it is, among other things. Teen Titans, a western cartoon that was inspired by anime, was a good show.

And more importantly, this thread has a gimmick. I'm not going to watch every recommendation here; I'm going to watch one. It is up to the collective voice of the anime fans on this forum to pick the one that is most likely to fit into Criteria 1, and prove to me that any given anime series can be considered more than just a weird cartoon that comes from Japan. I don't think it can, and I want you guys to put your heads together and think of the one thing that will prove me wrong.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
If that's the case then I'd like to side with Skoringo on Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but that probably an anime you've already seen. But I wouldn't know, if you haven't great! I'll go with that then.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes OmniKrane's post
09-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I actually agree about Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, if you haven't seen it. It's got an extremely intriguing mystery and plot, and it basically succeeds everywhere Attack on Titan fails(ie. Character).

09-14-2013, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 01:55 PM by concrete Building.)
I haven't seen Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, mostly because I'm actually quite wary of what I watch as far as anime goes. That's mostly why I never actually watch any series of Naruto unless I'm editing something for Crasher. But since I still haven't heard a negative thing about it, I'll watch it.

I did suggest Hetalia because I thought it was a good show. It may not be the best anime on the planet, but with all the flaws the characters have and the interaction they have with each other, it makes for a great show. And yes, it has no episode-by-episode plot. But neither does Fairly Oddparents nor did Numb3rs. There have been great shows without plots.

The other recommendation I will make is Ouran High School Host Club, if you haven't seen that already.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Popping in to say that this experiment ends tonight. Be sure to vote on the one that you think can prove me wrong.

09-21-2013, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 02:22 AM by TheHawk.)
I believe I am a bit late on this one, school's been hectic and all, but I did have two excellent selections to suggest, though I doubt many have seen them:

Now and Then Here and There (don't watch dubbed, poor casting)
A dark look at the horrors of children being used as soldiers. It also deconstructs the genre where the hero ends up in another realm expecting to have wondrous adventures.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
A retelling of the classic tale, set in space, and from the perspective of Albert instead of Edmund. It takes a classic straightforward revenge tale and turns it into a interesting suspense piece.

And while this one may not fit your criteria, I will say that FLCL stands out from the usual generic anime. I feel that it is one of the more literally complex anime I've seen so far. There are multiple interpretations to gleam from it and it is a well crafted coming of age tale backed with the best animation Gainax has (in my opinion) ever produced.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)