New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Adblock Plus Ruin The Internet?
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 05:43 PM by mattroks101.)
Will Adblock Plus Ruin The Internet?
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/20...ness-model
http://www.markevanstech.com/2007/09/11/...till-evil/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/10...-ads/?_r=0
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic....55&start=0
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013...sed-dream/

It seems a lot of people seemed pretty thoroughly convinced that blocking ads will ruin the internet forever. A lot of the arguments I see over and over is that if people keep blocking ads, then the people running the sites will make no money.

I'm gonna be honest, I block ads all day long and have been doing so for 4 years now. I've never once seen anything bad happen to the sites I visit because of such, TGWTG, AMV Hell, and Youtube all seem to be getting along fine with my blocking their ads.

I block ads for the purely selfish reason everyone else who uses adblock blocks them for, ads annoy me. I don't like them. And so I block them so I don't have to see them. In the same vain I switch channels on TV or radio when commercials come on. I hate listening or watching the ads so I switch the channel (or mute the radio), so I don't have to endure them. To me, using Adblock is kinda the same thing. I've never seen anything wrong with doing that. It seems perfectly fair to me. I have the right to ignore an ad if I want to, and using a 3rd party program to ignore them doesn't seem to be breaking any laws, so I've continued to do it.

But what do you guys think?
Will adblock ruin the internet? Am I a horrible, selfish person for blocking ads?
Or do you think that the internet will get along just fine with me blocking their ads? I'm legitimately curious as to what you guys think on the matter.

EDIT: On a side note I've seen a lot of sites start putting up ways of disabling adblock, or advising against it. Such as this:
[Image: 0ad9734674.png]
I think that more likely than anything, an ad duel will occur between adblock and websites. Each finding away around the other. Who's gonna win I have no idea, but it's been interesting to see the various ways in which sites have gone about either disabling or encouraging me to disable adblock.

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
RE: Will Adblock Plus Ruin The Internet?
See, my only problem with adblock is the fact that people can't make money off of the internet. What I like about adblock is that people can't make money off of the internet.

The Pros of AdBlock:
- No annoying pop-ups that contain viruses (Has happened when I use Internet Explorer)
- No page ruining ads
- No boner pop-ups (Ones that sneak from under your screen)
- People I don't like don't get money

The Cons of AdBlock:
- People can't make a profit for what they pay to get a domain
- Ads that actually may be interesting are hidden (rare)
- The internet becomes empty because of the amount of people who enjoyed not having "real jobs"
- The amount of jobless people in the world will rise
- The internet will ALL be non-profit
- A new age will be brought by the wars that come because of the following reasons above

So overall Adblock is good on certain sites that contain in-browser games (many, not a specific game like the Attack on Titan Browser Game or Adventure Quest Worlds). But on sites such as Youtube and others that need profit to survive, I normally disable adblock just to support the website. As I listed above, no one will want to be on the internet if they can't make a profit from what they do (excluding abridgers or parody artists). So I believe that Adblock is okay for now but it has it's pro's and con's.

Contact me at my Skype:
OmniKrane

[Image: a_560x0.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 07:01 PM by Truthordeal.)
Adblock lets you filter out certain websites to allow ads. Currently I do this for reddit, RoosterTeeth's website and a few others. For the rest of them, my entitlement to not be accosted by ads everywhere I go outweighs their entitlement to make money off of me viewing them. What I'd love to see is a feature added to adblock that lets me filter out certain Youtube channels, but since it doesn't I'm blocking Youtube as a whole, because I'm not watching a 30 second ad for Douchey McPokemaster just because one of his video descriptions caught my eye. I'm only going to filter adblock for people who have entertained me enough that I'll put up with a few ads if it means they get a couple extra bucks. It's the same with any business; you vote on your success with your money, or in this case your views.

Here's a neat tool I found the other day: http://www.socialblade.com/youtube/

Basically you type in any channel, and going by current rates, it gives you a range of how much revenue that channel would make if it were partnered. The bottom half of the range is the revenue without ad dollars specifically; it just includes the money a channel gets from Youtube for likes, comments, favorites, etc. The top end is if everyone did not have adblock working for them.

Take a spin with it.

One last thing I want to point out is adblock doesn't cost any money on merchandise sales. If you're Mr. Famous Von Youtuben, sure you'll take a hit from the money cost you by adblock, but if you're selling t-shirts (and who the hell isn't these days) then you're not losing anything by me using adblock.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
11-08-2013, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 06:58 PM by Stephan.)
If you enjoy someone's work online, and the way they get financial support for that work is through ads, you should unblock the ads on their websites and/or videos. If you never see the ad, they don't get any money. Unlike commercials on TV, not seeing them actually effects the people whose work you enjoy, and 30 extra seconds isn't that big of a sacrifice. Especially since with some of them all you have to do is click on it and it will skip the ad AND give the person whose video you're watching more money.

If you like people giving you content for free on the internet, just sit through the ads. It's really not that much to ask.

[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
11-08-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 08:14 PM by Airrest.)
I fucking hate ads and regularly keep Adblock plus on. And my hatred of ads is a big reason that I promised that AbridgedForums will ALWAYS be ad-free. Forever.

But like Stephan said, if you like someone's content and believe they deserve money for it, unblock the ads on that site. ABP allows you to do that. Simple as that really.

And you know what? Believe it or not, the vast majority of people do not block ads. The average internet...ian just doesn't do it. The internet will be fine.
11-08-2013, 11:07 PM
I use AdBlock for the majority of websites, though I filter out sites like TGWTG and other content creators that I want to help support because ad revenue is their primary source of income.

* Aquaman: The Unabridged Parody Series (ATUPS) Episode 1 is now out!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yAwc-7aHf4
[+] 1 user Likes Yuoaman's post
11-09-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 02:55 PM by Kat.)
I used to be against adblock, but I got tired of all those pop-ups with viruses. For the longest time I was not aware that adblock would let you pick and chose which websites you wanted block and which ones you didn't.

Now, like most people I use adblock. I do however whitelist websites like TGWTG, because I like their content and I feel like I can put up with that ad to enjoy the creators work.

EDIT: Also, like truth, I just adblock the entirety of youtube. I do wish that the makers would make it to where you could be and chose which channels you can block ads on. I think that would be quite difficult though, not sure. I'm not really good with tech in that department.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)