New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pro Wrestling
04-04-2013, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 08:39 AM by Truthordeal.)
Pro Wrestling
It has come to my attention that there are other wrestling fans on this forum besides myself. Since Wrestlemania season is upon us, I figured I'd make this thread. Who knows, maybe we can recruit a few others.

Anyway, for the casual, fair weather or normally uninterested, this upcoming weekend is Wrestlemania 29, and that usually means that wrestling gets some mainstream exposure. For anyone who is curious enough to check out the product, this is generally the time to do so, and to help with that reimmersion I'm making a list of the card for Wrestlemania, as well as explaining the current story lines:

Spoiler(Show)
WWE Championship Match:
The Rock © vs. John Cena

After losing to the Rock at last year's Wrestlemania, Cena had a terrible year in 2012, both professionally and personally. Having won the 2013 Royal Rumble, he's earned a shot at the WWE Title at Wrestlemania and by proxy, the Rock, who won the belt off of CM Punk this January.

CM Punk w/ Paul Heyman vs. The Undertaker

As always at Wrestlemania, the Undertaker's perfect win streak (20-0) is on the line against CM Punk, who just came off of an amazing 434 day title reign. To make matters more personal, Punk and his manager Paul Heyman have been mocking the recently deceased Paul Bearer in order to get under Taker's skin. Taker hopes to avenge Bearer's memory and punish CM Punk for his disrespect.

No Holds Barred Match:
Brock Lesnar w/ Paul Heyman vs. Triple H w/ Shawn Michaels

Brock Lesnar returned to WWE last April, and has been a threat to HHH and the company since. He broke Triple H's arm twice, once during their match at Summerslam, and earlier this year he hit Vince McMahon with an F5 and broke his hip. To avenge his father-in-law, HHH attacked Brock and challenged him to a fight at Wrestlemania, with his career on the line.

World Heavyweight Championship Match:
Alberto Del Rio © w/ Ricardo Rodriguez vs. Jack Swagger w/ Zeb Coulter

Del Rio's had an impressive championship run since defeating the Big Show last year. Jack Swagger, calling himself the Real American, and his associate Zeb Coulter have been degrading Del Rio and other illegal immigrants for ruining America. Del Rio is seeking revenge against both men for attacking his personal ring announcer and best friend Ricardo Rodriguez.

WWE Tag Team Championship Match:
Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan and Kane) © vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E. Langston w/ AJ Lee.

Team Hell No has been dominating the tag team division since last September, despite pretty much hating each other. Ziggler and Big E. present a stern opposition, with Big E. being the muscle to back up Ziggler's boasting. This match came about over bickering and insults between Ziggler and Bryan, including a few singles losses on Bryan's part.

Ryback vs. "the World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry

Ryback, the dominating powerhouse for the past year, is testing his mettle against a solid and proven veteran powerhouse in Mark Henry, a former Olympian lifter. Not much in terms of storyline, just two big men who want to kill each other.

The Shield (Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose) vs. the Big Show, Sheamus and Randy Orton

The Shield has been on a mean streak since they cost Ryback the WWE Championship this past November at Survivor Series. Since then, they have attacked and injured several superstars, including all three of their opponents. Big Show and Sheamus still have a beef with each other since they battled for the World Heavyweight Championship last year, with Randy Orton playing the peacemaker.

Chris Jericho vs. Fandango

Fandango (pronounced Fawhn-dawhn-goooooo), is a brash new superstar who has yet to actually compete in a match, since he keeps walking away when people mispronounce his name. The veteran, Chris Jericho, mocked him, leading to Fandango beating down Jericho over the past couple of weeks.

Intergender Eight Man Tag Match:
Tons of Funk (Brodus Clay and Tensai) and the Funkadactyls vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow) and the Bella Twins.

Team Rhodes Scholars have been looking down their noses at Tons of Funk's playful dancing antics, while the returning Bellas have done the same to the Funkadactyls. It'll be a battle between the fun-loving, dancing group and the serious and proper group.

Intercontinental Championship Match:
Wade Barrett © vs. the Miz

Not much else to say here; Barrett has the title and the Miz wants it.

There's something for just about everyone here, whether you're into comedy, drama or just the pure athleticism of professional wrestling, with tons of potential match of the year candidates being booked. It should be a good show.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
04-04-2013, 03:31 AM
RE: Pro Wrestling
I def. loved WWF growing up but kinda gave up/lost interest around the time they and WCW faced off/regrouped into I guess WWE (is that what its called now?), but am glad that after so many years of being out of the game, my all time fav. wrestler (the Undertaker) is still in the game.
I dunno, the overall "characters" most these guys play now a days don't rly interest me (course, I grew up with and liked wrestlers like Doink the Clown, Yokuzuna, Big Van Vader, The Honky Tonk Man, Bob Backlund...soooo, yeah, you can tell my tastes aren't exactly with the times lol)

Note: This is Skinny that just posted, cuz if E-Rock were to see this thread, he could prolly go on and on FOREVER about the history of pro wrestling...so lets not tell him about this Psychotic Grin

Check us out and see why WE MAKE AWESOME!
[Image: 10430474_741293955934993_7737309816629788697_n.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
You mentioning Bob Backlund reminded me of the Hall of Fame, since he's being inducted this year. Others in this class are Mick Foley, Bruno Sammartino, Trish Stratus, Booker T and Donald Trump. I get what you mean about characters though; for a while now most have been pretty vanilla guys, but here recently WWE's been trying to move in a more gimmicky direction with people like Brodus Clay (who calls himself the Funkasaurus and dances to disco) and Damien Sandow (the intellectual savior of the unwashed masses).

Taker's my all time favorite as well. Unfortunately he seems to be nearing the end of his career and only wrestles once a year. Either this year or next could possibly be his last match.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
(04-04-2013 12:19 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  It has come to my attention that there are other wrestling fans on this forum besides myself. Since Wrestlemania season is upon us, I figured I'd make this thread.

I don't really think anyone cares about my opinion at this point, but I'll contribute anyway. Arka and I are big wrestling fanatics, so you got something there.

In my summary, I'm really surprised with this years Wrestlemania matches. They are booking rather late compared to last year's hype. But this isn't making things less interesting at all. I'm really happy and shocked that they could bring Jack Swagger back so late in the game, and still make him an interesting adversary. I'm looking forward to that bout for the World Heavyweight Championship.

As for the WWE Championship, I can't really say I'm surprised. Though I hate the idea of John Cena vs The Rock in the Main Event of Wrestlemania (again), I'm thinking they'll bust out some tricks to make it an entertaining match. I don't think they'll make a split replica of last year... hopefully.

I think the most anticipated match for a lot of people is CM Punk vs The Undertaker. Of course, there trying to go for a personal score to settle with the urn - but I still think Undertaker's going to continue the Streak. There's no way a 20 year streak can end with someone who has been failing at the PPVs recently.

Triple H vs Brock Lesnar. Hoping that's good. I watched Summerslam and I loved the results so we'll have to wait and see.

Wade Barrett vs The Miz. I find this match-up to be kind of ridiculous. The Miz has already had the Intercontinental Championship and winning it again so early is really out of place. I mean, he had that long rivalry with Antonio Cesaro for nothing? I have a sinking feeling that the good ol' Barrett Barrage will lose it unfortunately (which sucks because he's my second favorite wrestler.)

Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars. Interesting, I'll give it that.

Ryback vs Mark Henry. I'm loving the anticipation in this rivalry. I just hope that Ryback won't embarrass himself at Wrestlemania if he fails to pick up Mark Henry for Shellshocked.

Chris Jericho vs Fandango. I'm giving this a shot because Fandango is epic. Haha.

Team Hell No vs Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston. I like the idea, but they've fought Dolph Ziggler way too many times now and just adding Big E doesn't stir up too much interest.

Sheamus, Randy Orton, and Big Show vs The Shield. I like the Shield and their gimmick. I must say I would find it really stunning if Sheamus, Randy, and Show won however. Sheamus couldn't stop the Shield with John Cena and Ryback on his side, as well as many other heavy hitters in the WWE. So if they win, cool. If they don't, the Shield's better then we thought.

And there we go. Looking forward to this year's Wrestlemania as always.
Skype Cool Though it'd be a lot more epic if my Broski, LongIslandIcedZ, was in a match.

I have just added to your conversation.
[Image: ajdodwp.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes TheAwesomeDarkNinja's post
04-07-2013, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 01:50 PM by Truthordeal.)
Tonight's the night, man. Assuming WWE gives everyone a decent amount of time to do their thing, there isn't a match on here that I don't like. For whatever reason I'm really looking forward to Swagger vs. Del Rio. Agreed with ADN that it'd be better if Zack Ryder had a match.

Also, don't forget there's an hour long preshow being streamed from WWE's Youtube channel for free. Besides video packages and promos, Wade Barrett is defending his IC title against the Miz. There's also supposed to be a post-show after Wrestlemania ends, but I dunno how that'll turn out.

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
(04-04-2013 11:45 AM)TheAwesomeDarkNinja Wrote:  I don't really think anyone cares about my opinion at this point

Thank you for your irrelevant opinion.

I am also quite excited about this year's wres...SILENCE!....As I was saying, I'm also quite excited about today's Wrestlemania. The match I'm looking forward to the most is, of course, HHH vs. Brock Lesnar. Whenever Brock's music hits, or Paul starts talking, it gives me goosebumps. All the time. This match is going to be too epic.

I personally don't like the idea of a part-time wrestler being the WWE Champion. I get it. They really wanted Cena vs. Rock once again in Wrestlemania. That too, for the title. But still, I'm just not liking the Rock as the WWE Champion. Don't get me wrong; The Rock is awesome.

Jack Swagger's character is interesting. However, they might be overdoing this whole "Jack Swagger America" thing. Sometimes, it just sounds lame when he screams "I'M A REAL AMERICAN" when giving his "Patriot Lock". And this is my reaction:

[Image: just-stop.jpg]

But I guess that's the point of his character. I enjoyed Del Rio as a Heel better, but overall, it's not too bad. Looking forward to that match as well.

At the moment, my most favourite character/wrestler/guy in the WWE, as you might have guessed, is Damien Sandow. That guy is just too good. I really wanted him to have a singles match. And I want WWE to give him a push. One thing I like about him is that he stays in character even outside the ring. He's good. Entertaining.

And I hate it how Zack Ryder is a jobber now. He comes, gets beaten up, and then vanishes. That's not Zack. He's better than this.

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
[+] 1 user Likes ArkaKun's post
04-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Any thoughts?
The crowd at Monday Night Raw. Wow! That was amazing.
How about Ryback's action? Is this supposed to be a Heel turn?
Judging from the crowd's reaction, he was even a bigger face when he attacked Cena.
Or perhaps, this might be the beginning of a slow process at which John Cena actually turns heel. May be? No?
But one thing is true about Cena's Heel turn. A lot of people complain that Cena is being shoved down their throats. However, even as a heel, he will be shoved down their throats. It won't make him any less "important".
But it'll at least be interesting. Something different.
Let's see what happens.

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
04-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I dunno man, I just can't see John Cena becoming a villain. I guess that was true for Hogan before the NWO too, but eh...

Anyway, as soon as I saw that Tons of Funk vs. Rhodes Scholars was being cut on Wrestlemania, I figured you'd be upset. At least they got their time to shine last night.

04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Here's the thing. All those "Heel Cena fans" are thinking that he'd go back to his Doctor of Thuganomics gimmick. They're all expecting him to come to the ring, give that attitude, starts rapping and mock the other wrestlers. Problem is, that won't happen.

Even if he does become a heel, it will most likely be an "angry muscular character" kinda thing. Sort of like Ryback (A heel version of Ryback). It's not gonna be that "cool" John Cena any more. He's always gonna have this really weird angry face, talk in a deeper voice and some shit like that. And that will also get boring real soon. I think I'd rather watch the supercena than that.

To summarize, "Heel Cena" is not the solution to "Boring Cena". It'll just be a "Heel Boring Cena". Perhaps, keep Cena a face, but change the direction of his character a tiny bit? I don't know.

And I was upset about that match being cut. Tons of Funk is an interesting team, and it's been working out great. At least, it's a whole lot better than using Tensai as a jobber and make him lose to Santino. I'm not a big fan of Cody, but overall, I was really looking forward to that match. But it was still cool to see it at Raw. Again, I loved the crowd's reaction.

Dolph Ziggler = Money!

04-19-2013, 08:23 PM
So in the past week, Faaaaandaaaaangoooooooo has become a pretty big hit. You can google "Fandangoing" and see tons of people in different sports humming along to his theme song.

Also, I don't have tv up here at college so I never catch Raw, but I did see Ryback's promo calling Cena out, and that was amazing. Real big oldschool vibe from it.

And now I end this post with a funny and relevant image:

[Image: 524%20-%20horton_hears_a_who%20randy_orton%20wwe.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
04-20-2013, 04:45 PM
(04-09-2013 11:32 PM)ArkaKun Wrote:  To summarize, "Heel Cena" is not the solution to "Boring Cena". It'll just be a "Heel Boring Cena". Perhaps, keep Cena a face, but change the direction of his character a tiny bit? I don't know.

I really think if WWE wanted to, they could change Cena's character a tiny bit. I mean, it's pretty simple. I would say just turn him into a midcard and let Randy Orton, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio, or anyone else to pick up the slack.

It's just the thing with Cena is his fans. A good half of the audience is Cenation (as you can tell by his shirts), and the money they're making on Cena is big bucks for sure.

However, I still don't see why they cannot make him a little more fun. He's been the "badass underdog that is beaten up for the whole match then AA's you at the last second for the WWE Championship" for years - he should just calm down a little bit.

(04-09-2013 11:32 PM)ArkaKun Wrote:  At the moment, my most favourite character/wrestler/guy in the WWE, as you might have guessed, is Damien Sandow. That guy is just too good.

I figured you'd like him. Haha. He's one of the most amazing Heels I've seen in a while. He knows how to command attention from the audience. I went to a Live Event here in Ontario and when he came out and ranted, he pretty much stole the show.
As for the skill level, he's pretty good. But my money's still on Antonio Cesaro. Literally too, since Money In The Bank's coming up soon and I sense a disturbance in the Force that he will bounce back and go for the World Heavyweight Championship.

(04-19-2013 08:23 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Also, I don't have tv up here at college so I never catch Raw, but I did see Ryback's promo calling Cena out, and that was amazing. Real big oldschool vibe from it.

I know what you mean. Ryback's Heel turn is very logical for his character and the promo added the icing to the cake. It actually makes me excited to see what Ryback will do next. At first, I thought he wouldn't be able to handle a rivalry as huge as this one but he sure is proving me wrong. Especially the way he looked after he just watched Cena getting torn to shreds by the Shield.
EPIC. Skype Cool

04-21-2013, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 12:01 AM by ArkaKun.)
(04-19-2013 08:23 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Faaaaandaaaaangoooooooo

I don't think you got it right. I'm sorry, but you're really lacking the skills here. Here's how it goes:
Faaaaannnn *breathe* daaaaaaan *breathe* Gooooooooo *breathe* *breathe*

(04-19-2013 08:23 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  I don't have tv up here at college so I never catch Raw

That really sucks. I guess for now, you could just watch them online. I know there are some forums that regularly upload links (Dailymotion, Putlocker, YouTube etc.) to Raw and Smackdown. The quality will be really shitty though.

And I loved Ryback's heel turn as well. I think with this monstrous character, he'd suit more as a heel than a face.

By the way, in case you didn't catch it, here's the WWE chant Fandangoing:

04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
So apparently the Undertaker wrestled the Shield last night? Damn, I can't believe I missed that one.

04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
(04-23-2013 02:33 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  So apparently the Undertaker wrestled the Shield last night? Damn, I can't believe I missed that one.

Yup. Team Hell No and The Undertaker against The Shield. It sure was an epic match. It was pretty awesome to see Undertaker in action at Raw.

Also, Mick Foley came to have a talk with Ryback.

04-23-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 04:46 PM by TheAwesomeDarkNinja.)
(04-23-2013 03:43 PM)ArkaKun Wrote:  Yup. Team Hell No and The Undertaker against The Shield.

I agree. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and the Undertaker put on the best show of the night. I hope there's more of the Undertaker and SHIELD rivalry because damn, that match was good.

04-23-2013, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 05:07 PM by ArkaKun.)
(04-23-2013 04:46 PM)TheAwesomeDarkNinja Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 03:43 PM)ArkaKun Wrote:  Yup. Team Hell No and The Undertaker against The Shield.

I agree. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and the Undertaker put on the best show of the night. I hope there's more of the Undertaker and SHIELD rivalry because damn, that match was good.

I'll try not to get my hopes up but I'm smelling the same match happening at Extreme Rules.

Oh and Truth, in case you didn't know, Brock Lesnar vs. HHH in a Steel Cage match at Extreme Rules is confirmed. You should check out the HHH and Paul Heyman segment from last night's Raw. It just doesn't get any better than this. I'd usually be like, "Oh come on, the same match again?" but this time, I'm really excited.

[+] 1 user Likes ArkaKun's post
05-03-2013, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 10:23 AM by TheAwesomeDarkNinja.)
Does anyone else think The Shield is getting annoying at this point?

I really like Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, and Roman Reigns but they are seriously going overboard.
They seem to be involved in every storyline and every PPV seems to be about three awesome main eventers just trying to beat them. Then they think without the aid of the other two, they can just take out The Shield by themselves cause they're awesome - only to have The Shield wipe them out.

First, it was Ryback.
Second, it was Hell No.
Third, it was Sheamus and Orton.
Fourth, it was Cena.
Fifth, it was Big Show (with Sheamus and Orton).
Sixth, it was Hell No with the Undertaker. (almost Triple H).
Seventh, it was the Undertaker.
Eighth, it was Kane.

And this was in the span of only a few months. They're in every storyline and it's getting really repetitive.

05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I know there's a heated discussion going on at the moment about references, but here is something different.
Any thought on this Sunday's Extreme Rules? Any predictions? Here are mine (Only the matches I care about):

John Cena vs. Ryback: Yeah, I think everyone knows this one. Cena is winning.
Team Hell No vs. The Shielf (Tag Team Championship): My money is on The Shield.
Chris Jericho vs. Fandango: Jericho should win. Well, I want him to win at least.
Brock Lesnar vs. HHH: Brock Lesnar. No particular reason. Somehow my sixth sense is telling me that Brock is winning this time.

05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
The only prediction I feel very sure of is that the Shield will interrupt Ryback vs. Cena and cause a double KO.

05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Welp I was wrong.

If you guys didn't catch RAW this past week, though, you definitely need to check out the Team Hell No & Kofi vs. Shield six man tag. Easily one of the matches of the year for me, so far.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)