New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst movie of the series
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 12:15 AM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst movie of the series
Seriously.

I've now seen this movie with 3 different people who had yet to see it (or read the books) at the time of viewing. Every single one of them had identical reactions.

They were completely confused. The explanation for the events of the movie (specifically the Shrieking Shack scene) were NOT explored sufficiently.

• The backstory of the Marauders and their connections to the map: Barely touched.
  • Snape's loathing of Harry, Lupin, and Sirius: Was it even mentioned offhand?
  • Sirius' innocence: Once again, barely touched. One moment, the audience is led to believe Sirius is going to kill Harry, and the next moment, he's discussing possibly sharing his house with Harry. Um.... what?
  • The Fidelius Charm: Never mentioned, I don't think. Never explained WHAT Pettigrew did to sell out Harry's parents... nor why Lupin was led to believe that Sirius was the Secret-Keeper
  • The Marauders becoming Animagi: Barely touched, if at all. They just can do it. Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

I'll probably wind up thinking of more, too.

Oh, and the music sucked. They didn't even TRY to resemble any of the tracks from movies 1 and 2.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
RE: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst movie of the series
I'm curious to know, after seeing Deathly Hallows Part 1 if you still think that PoA is the worst movie of the series. Nothing fucking happened in DHP1.
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
PoA is still hands down the worst one, DH1 was just fine. In fact, I think DH1 is probably my second favorite of the movies.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

05-04-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 01:49 PM by Airrest.)
Seriously? But nothing happened!
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 02:32 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
That's not true. And Harry Potter is not an action movie, even if it has action in it.

05-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's what happened: they found a horcrux and destroyed it. Voldemort and gang plotted a little bit. Some guy died. END.
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Dude, you can simplify ANY movie into a sentence.

Really, I expected better of you. I thought you knew how to carry debates.

05-05-2011, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 05:18 AM by Airrest.)
My point is that something actually happened and felt like it was happening in PoA. DHP1 could have been completely skipped and nobody would be lost even if they didn't read the books (which I haven't).
05-05-2011, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 09:57 AM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
And that's precisely WHY you think nothing happened. Stop speaking from ignorance. It's part ONE for a reason.

With PoA, the issue was the cutting of the Marauder's Map background story, as well as the HORRIBLE execution of the climax, not "Dur hur nothing happened boo hoo"

Also, if you REALLY feel like arguing this, then stop using the phrase "nothing happened", because that's a massive overgeneralization. There were LESS events, yeah. They couldn't exactly spend much time on action sequences because, oh, I dunno.... Maybe the al Qaeda of their world kinda took over the friggin' government? That's pretty much what happened in the book.

Though, again, the same issues that they had with movies 5 and 6.... The moron scriptwriters for Movies 3 and 4 decided to cut the roots of the better subplots, which left lots of time in-between main plot sequences fairly dry. In the books, lots of other stuff is discussed/"happens" while they're camping.

Considering what they have left to work with, they did a damn good job. This movie was probably the best book adaptation since 1 and 2. The problem is, there were so many BAD book adaptations before it that absolutely nothing they could do in the last movies to provide the sense of awesomeness and epicness that the last book had, though I suspect you'll get a taste of that in the next movie.

Trust me. Part 1 was supposed to be a buildup for Part 2 more than anything else. Your next complaint is likely to be that "too much stuff happened" after you watch Part 2.

05-05-2011, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 07:58 PM by Airrest.)
How is it speaking from ignorance? Because I haven't read the books disqualifies me from a good movie experience? That's like saying I had to read every book in the Twilight series to understand why nothing at all happens in the first 3 movies. "You'd understand if you just read the 4th book". Bullshit. Because a bunch of stuff is going to happen in part 2 doesn't mean it makes the lack of anything resembling a decent plot in part 1. I know they're following the books, but that just tells me that nothing happened in the first half of the book and I'd be sorely disappointed getting through 450 pages of mostly drivel with a couple of character interactions woven in. I'd be happy if "too much stuff" happened in part 2.

And you seem to think that to me 'action' = 'something happening'. No. I like plenty of drama films that have no action in them and did a far better job telling any kind of a story than this movie. My whole point is: this movie could have been condensed into 30 minutes. There was no reason to split the two up. It's all a cash cow. Plain and simple.

Also, HARRY POTTER IS SRS BUSINESS.
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 10:57 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
I 100% disagree, and there's really no way for me to explain it to you without you having read the books. 99% of people who have read the books agree that the movie split was a good idea and well executed.

If you wanna talk from a standalone movie perspective, then that's fine, but again, take into consideration that it's called "Part 1" for a reason.

And as for an overarching plot.... THE HORCRUX HUNT??? Duh!? They need to be destroyed before Harry can try to kill Voldemort.

What makes it ignorance is that you are evaluating it, effectively, out of context. You can't just hear the setup of a joke, stop before the punchline, and then say "OH BUT NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!"

Chill dude. It's part 1. Stop being a hater.

05-06-2011, 04:27 AM
"If you wanna talk from a standalone movie perspective, then that's fine."

K. It sucked.
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
(05-06-2011 04:27 AM)Airrest Wrote:  "If you wanna talk from a standalone movie perspective, then that's fine."

K. It sucked.
And you're judging it before part 2 was out.

Again. Ignorance.

05-06-2011, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 11:09 AM by Airrest.)
I'm judging it based on its own merits. It's like not judging Transformers 1 until I see Transformers 2. Albeit, it's not a book that was cut in half, but it's the same argument your using. If the movie can't stand on its own, it should never have been split in two. Period.

I think you're too blinded by your own love for HP to see that the movie sucked.
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 03:17 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
If that was true, I'd like each Harry Potter movie. And that simply isn't true.

And NO, for the490y34852394yhnj vbslijfjbl th time.... It is NOT like judging it as a standalone movie. WHAT PART OF "PART 1" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Seriously, Air. This conversation is going in circles. Haters gonna hate, but do me a favor and hate somewhere else if that's how it's gonna be.

Though, I have all the books in audio form (UK version) if you ever wanna give them a chance to see what I mean. Almost anyone who's read the books agrees that movies 3 and onwards were not done proper justice. Totally doesn't capture the charm of the books.

05-06-2011, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 05:46 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
Thanks, but not interested. My point still sucks.

Imma go back to being ignorant.

/exits
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't seen HP: DH Part 1 but I have seen all the others. I've read all the books and loved them as a kid. The first two movies were pretty good at following the books as well as being an enjoyable watch for anyone who hadn't read the books.

The third movie really brought the movie series down in the gutter in my opinion. After 3 I really lost interest. Most of the movies couldn't put everything from the books in after the second one. But I've heard that HP: DH Part 1 does the same as the book (most likely because it has much more time) but my question is why start now? Most of the other movies were screwed over why try and fix it at the end?

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
05-07-2011, 07:32 PM
(05-07-2011 05:56 PM)TwooGiz Wrote:  I haven't seen HP: DH Part 1 but I have seen all the others. I've read all the books and loved them as a kid. The first two movies were pretty good at following the books as well as being an enjoyable watch for anyone who hadn't read the books.

The third movie really brought the movie series down in the gutter in my opinion. After 3 I really lost interest. Most of the movies couldn't put everything from the books in after the second one. But I've heard that HP: DH Part 1 does the same as the book (most likely because it has much more time) but my question is why start now? Most of the other movies were screwed over why try and fix it at the end?

The problem is that there are too many haters like Air who believe that a movie split was just for the sake of money.

3 didn't need a split. It needed a rewrite. Was absolutely horribly done.

DH Part 1 WAS pretty accurate to the book, yes, but they still had to change stuff because of the subplots cut in earlier movies. Such as Kreacher's significance/SPEW.

They still did a decent job, though, of making it feel like it was the beginning of the end, so to speak. They successfully incorporated things from the older movies. Umbridge's Ministry of Magic office was almost identical to her Hogwarts one, it was great XD

Imo, if movies 4 and 5 had been given more time, 6 would have also deserved more time. The problem with movie 6 is that half the book was subplots that were cut from previous movies. Dobby working at Hogwarts, for instance, which was cut from Movie 4.

Alas, though a 2 hour time limit does not really suit telling Goblet/Order/Prince, they at least were able to convince the people up high at WB to split Deathly Hallows into 2 to do it more justice. So we should be happy they managed THAT.

05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I bet they asked to split the movies up before and were denied. But since this is the last one they gave it an okay.

There is one way all this could of been fixed though. Do it the old fashion way. Have a 3 or 4 hour long movie like Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Those are just some old VHS movies I can remember watching back in the day that had 2 VHS tapes.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
(05-07-2011 08:52 PM)TwooGiz Wrote:  I bet they asked to split the movies up before and were denied. But since this is the last one they gave it an okay.

There is one way all this could of been fixed though. Do it the old fashion way. Have a 3 or 4 hour long movie like Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Those are just some old VHS movies I can remember watching back in the day that had 2 VHS tapes.

I agree. I think they underestimated how much a HP fan would be willing to sit through.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)