New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this "Ruined the fandom" nonsense anyhow?
07-31-2014, 11:54 PM
What is this "Ruined the fandom" nonsense anyhow?
Headbang Like... exactly what do certain people mean when they say, "X ruined the fandom"? Are most fans REALLY so weak-minded, to just get basically "brainwashed" by a certain 'influential' individual within the fandom so that they all of a sudden like new aspects of it they otherwise wouldn't?? You'll have to excuse me for not being a hardcore fan of much of anything to the point where I give two shits what the rest of the fandom thinks or does, but I keep hearing this phrase every now and then, and all I can think is, "Is this really possible, or are they just sarcastically mocking the phrase's use in a 'serious' manner by butthurt dumbasses??", like when certain people (e.g. 1Kids recently) claimed LittleKuriboh "ruined" or "will preemptively ruin" the YGO fandom.

Do most people actually use this phrase in a "serious" manner, esp. in the anime community??Dull Or is it basically just some weird "unspoken meme" joke that only those "in the know" 'get' or use? To me, it just seems like certain whiny fans thinking that their standard for "what constitutes proper fandom" should apply to all other fans of certain things in a very arrogant fashion. Who is anyone to dictate what "proper fandom" of a certain show, manga, card game, etc. is?? And that if they "get influenced by brand-new forces within the fandom and suddenly change or update some of their ways", they're somehow "violating sacred tenets of the fandom"...

If you ask me, saying a fandom is "ruined" should mean something along the lines of, "Fans no longer have much drive to actually care about the stuff they really like", not that 1 or 2 large aspects are somehow altered in a way you think is 'unbecoming.' I mean, for all the people who claim, "X ruined Y fandom", I'm sure I could find loads of other people who say, "No, X saved/helped the fandom!" So... in the end, isn't this "ruined the fandom" crap just a matter of perspective (i.e. a bunch of overly-opinionated nonsense)?

Unless I've got the phrase's "meaning" all wrong... Hell, folks claiming, "so-and-so ruined the fandom" almost seem to think that any fandom should or could be totally monolithic. But fans are a diverse group, are they not?

My apologies if this is the "wrong" forum for this, too. This applies not just to anime or abridged series, so I didn't think it really belonged in the "regular" AF forum, and the other "off-topic" forum for discussions about 'anything' seemed pretty goofy in nature.

"It's not about who's right and who's wrong!"
"Because if it was, I'd be right."
"There are more important things than that!"
"Like bacon..." Skype Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 02:10 AM
RE: What is this "Ruined the fandom" nonsense anyhow?
Case and point, Dragon Ball Evolution

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
08-01-2014, 04:58 AM
A few people on some anime/gaming news site were happy about the end of Yugioh Zexal and the (then) upcoming Yugioh Arc V, and said something about LilKuriboh's parody ruining the Yugioh fandom. I guess because his stuff gets quoted in comment sections whenever there's any Yugioh news out, or something. So LK took that and turned it into a running joke where he ruins every fandom ever, including nonsensical ones such as the Breakfast Fanclub.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM
(08-01-2014 04:58 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  So LK took that and turned it into a running joke where he ruins every fandom ever, including nonsensical ones such as the Breakfast Fanclub.

I don't remember him ever doing that :/

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
It's an in-joke at this point. Not many people mean it unironically.

The origin is that some people have gradually become more and more likely to blame Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged for random things in the Yu-Gi-Oh! fandom. For instance, YGO cosplayers who DO NOT WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THAT DUMB PARODY BULLCRAP GRRR RAGE would get quotes either thrown at them at random throughout conventions or otherwise requested. People who (laughably) take the YGO fandom super serious who didn't like YGOTAS complained about the influx of TAS fans, etc.

Then, when Arc V was announced, someone immediately started complaining that Martin would ruin the fandom for it, despite the fact that he never touched ZeXal and barely touched GX and 5Ds. He pointed out how ridiculous this was on Twitter and then people started jokingly telling him not to ruin other fandoms. And that's how it spiraled into what it is today.

Don't take it so seriously.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Interesting

"It's not about who's right and who's wrong!"
"Because if it was, I'd be right."
"There are more important things than that!"
"Like bacon..." Skype Cool

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)