New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter/Updates (Read OP Before Posting!)
02-23-2011, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 04:09 PM by Airrest.)
RE: Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter
What? Jewelpets isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread?! I am appalled, sir! APPALLED!

:ahem: Kidding. My series is an...acquired taste. As far as new series, I did enjoy the Cowboy Bebop abridged that we've got on the site. If you've not heard of it yet hbi2k's Berserk Abridged is fantastic. I'm actually surprised at how many people don't know it exists, but do know about Kaiser's short lived Lupin III.

Have you checked out any of the series in the contest?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AbridgedCont...01234145A3
I haven't watched them all (200 entries, christ) and the ones I did see were kinda shitty, but I'm sure there are some great ones there. The law of averages pretty much demands it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah I watched a few and skimmed some others, (I think Yoshi's seen more; he certainly didn't have anything positive to say), and a good chunk of the entries are either terrible or from 2010 so they're disqualified anyway. Gutted Wren Studios' two episodes and Purpleeyes' None Piece are solid, but I honestly wouldn't say they're first place material. The writing was somewhat weak for both of them. Same for Pokemon 'Bridged. It's like my team managed to make the best episode of SFA so far, while every other abridger I still like started slouching or rushing. (??)

Oh right. Almost forgot 1kids, Nowacking and xJerry64x's Pokemon 'Bridged on that list.
#2 - Pokemon 'Bridged
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I feel that way about JPX, but yours is funnier so if we don't win it better damn well be to you guys. Still, everyone has high and low points in their stuff. Some people get tired or run out of ideas. To me a series is always at it's best from the 2nd to the 10th episode. :shrug:

I was pretty disappointed in the pokemon one as well. I kept waiting for the jokes to happen, but then they didn't. Kids had balls though making the entry in the first place. So gotta give them that.

I haven't seen any PurrpleEyes stuff. They keep coming up though so apparently I need to.
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I highly recommend PurpleEyes' Code MENT, but his None Piece wasn't quite the same caliber.
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I am one of those who didn't enjoy None Piece at all, but very much so enjoy Code MENT.
02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Finally got around to watching OLSA, by the way. Very good series, looking forward to episode 5, but I do wish you guys didn't use so many memes in those older episodes. I love fucking with memes ("It's over six...", "Gee! It sure is boring aroun- *WHACK*"), but when it's just saying a meme, I'm with 1Kids in saying that anything you would have come up with on your own would have been funnier. (Unless that BIZARRE-ASS thing with Adrian Brody was a meme, cause I don't care either way; that was fucking magic.)

And not that it's too common in yours (thankfully) but in general; I noticed that often if a series makes a joke that isn't a meme or a reference, it's a lot of setting up to non-punchlines. ("Oh that's what that was" being the freshest example I can think of, cause it was such crap). I'm sure I saw an example in OLSA, but it must be from episode 2 or 3, so never mind.

I feel like I should be compiling all of this into my own thread of pet peeves. Undecided
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 10:40 PM by Airrest.)
We've gotten away from memes and grown toward the attitude that we should be CREATING memes, not referencing them. I still enjoy a meme reference every once in awhile, but honestly, we don't use them that much. I threw in Leeroy Jenkins, "What am I fighting for?!", "Fuck yeah!", "The End of Ze World", Shota Cat, and perhaps the Imogen Heap thing in episode 4, if you even consider that a meme. Beyond those, I can't think of any we've used off the top of my head. We've referenced Mitch Hedberg in episode 1 and have continued that reference/joke as a running joke every now and again. We've also referenced Zelda: OoT. We've "referenced" Harvey Birdman and Robot Unicorn Attack, and SNL's "Dick in a Box", but with the three of those we've added our own twist to it. I don't quite consider them simple references. They had some sort of purpose. And we did an "over 9000" anti-joke, which I'm most proud of. We wanted to just get it out of the way early and I believe we made it into an excellent anti-joke. I'm quite pleased at how it turned out. And the Adrien Brody thing was a reference to the BRODYQUEST video that was pretty popular on YouTube, but yeah, we don't regret that one bit cause it's just so silly.

I'm with you on memes and references and honestly, I think ours are pretty tame. I think our best content comes from the jokes we make up. Hilda's obsession with SpaceFC and her character in general, Old Man Pirate's obsession with braiding his mustache in with his pubic hair, Ron MacDougall's interest in "Bug Eyes", a terrible slew of dick jokes, and Gilliam's strange fetish with a certain female android. Those are really my favorite things about our series and we look forward to having more of those moments as we shape the series and the characters and as we move away from memes and references.

I'm truly glad you enjoyed the series. More than you know. And thanks for the kind words.
02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
"Chick in a box" was definitely funny, as was the non-reference to over 9000. You don't know how happy that made me.
02-23-2011, 11:24 PM
(02-23-2011 10:46 PM)ThornBrain Wrote:  "Chick in a box" was definitely funny, as was the non-reference to over 9000. You don't know how happy that made me.

Big Grin
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
That's so awesome that you dug the series, ThornBrain, it's always nice to hear people who make something you enjoy also enjoys something you made. Or in my case, poke with a stick once in a while until funny dribbles out.
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Episode 2 of a new pokemon abridged series.
Check out the newbies! Never heard of any of these guys, but I see potential. Keep that in mind when you watch the video. (Episode 1 is down as of this post)

The voice acting needs a lot of work and the editing is far from polished, but for a bunch of unknowns on their first shot at a series, it's not bad. The writing got a few laughs out of me without resorting to gimmicks and trite memes.

To good:
Comedic timing - even if some of the jokes deliveries weren't the best, they have a (loose) grasp of comic timing that made some of the jokes work for me. That usually takes people a few tries to get down, so they're ahead of the curve for newbies.

Writing - While not gold, I appreciate that they didn't jump straight to memes and gimmicks to make jokes. I'm a fan of the more fandubby series, so I may be a bit biased. You can see they're still developing a style, and that they're actually trying to be original. Now they just have to take that little bit and run with it. I can see the writing solidifying more as the characters develop more, and the cast gets more comfortable with each other and their roles.

The Okay:
Editing was meh. Shaky camera syndrome abounds and some of the cuts are awkward. They do pretty well with lip flaps, so I can see some of the problems going away after they get a few episodes under their belts. I enjoyed the poster.

The Bad:

Mixing: the music was a bit abrupt at places, and sfx were scattered. The voice levels were also all over the place. The VA audio quality was also a mixed bad. If something comes out odd or a line delivery is off from what everyone else sends, have them rerecord!
Jenny/Joy sounds like she's in a cavern, so perhaps have the VA put up some blankets to absorb the echo. Pokedex seemed a bit shoehorned into scenes as well (which is in part a writing issue).

Voice work: The voice acting needs a lot of work. There weren't a super amount of puffs and pops, but then again there wasn't very much acting either. Better line deliveries would have helped the episode a great deal. The actors need to commit to their roles and EMOTE. It's not just making a voice and saying lines! You have to bring life to the characters with emotional nuances. I'd give them a little bit of a break, since they're all new and inexperienced, but there isn't anything particularly difficult about the script.

Also, if they're going to recycle voice actors, they need to at least make the characters distinguishable from each other.

They've got two episodes out (EP1 is down), and I can totally see them getting better as the VAs and editor get more experience.

02-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Discuss.
02-26-2011, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2011 03:11 PM by ThornBrain.)
After the first watch I thought it was their weakest episode thus far. It felt like 1Kids, Jerry and Nowacking had no idea what they wanted to do with the episode, so they ended up throwing a bunch of disjointed, "look how ridiculous we can be" jokes into it, which only served to make the whole thing feel pointless. Didn't actually laugh until the second half when Ash makes a callback to episode 7, plus a few from thereon.

Second watch I was able to "get" more of it, and I like it more than I did first time. I still say a lot of the writing feels pointless and directionless, but I think it's just because the intro is practically nothing but jokes with no actual punchline; not a good first impression. I think some of it, like
Spoiler(Show)
Pikachu plotting to kill them,
just ends up being distracting, like how some of the visual gags from episode 4 ended up distracting from the writing of that episode. I'd say it's better than their episode 4, but weaker than their previous three episodes.
I must say that Nowacking's really starting to impress me. She's always been a hit-and-miss voice actor to me with practically everything she's ever done, but her performance as Misty (and I assume Nurse Joy) was really solid this episode.
02-26-2011, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2011 06:58 PM by ThornBrain.)
Pretty funny, man. I think everyone except you and that dickhead you picked up as the narrator have pretty iffy mics, (I actually think AimiHime's sounded clearer when it was processed to sound like her thinking ??). Aimi is a pretty good actress either way so I think I can forgive it, but you might want to direct a little more with the other two females. Their performances were pretty wooden. The only two jokes that I think really detracted from it were the virginity one (just not funny), and the "going through a tunnel" one, (it's an old cliche, and it took too long to end). But overall I liked it.
02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
(02-26-2011 06:57 PM)ThornBrain Wrote:  Pretty funny, man. I think everyone except you and that dickhead you picked up as the narrator have pretty iffy mics, (I actually think AimiHime's sounded clearer when it was processed to sound like her thinking ??). Aimi is a pretty good actress either way so I think I can forgive it, but you might want to direct a little more with the other two females. Their performances were pretty wooden. The only two jokes that I think really detracted from it were the virginity one (just not funny), and the "going through a tunnel" one, (it's an old cliche, and it took too long to end). But overall I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback man. I agree about the better direction, I'm aiming to direct all of my actors through skype from now on, the only issue is that the actress playing Jo lives in Greece so she is like 7 hours ahead of me and the other actress in this episode (who played blue-haired girl) is a one time character who isn't showing up again. As for the jokes, the script for this episode is several months old so it kind of lacking compared to my stuff now, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Episode 6 I'm aiming to be done by end of March.
Find all posts by this user
02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
(02-26-2011 08:27 PM)jpace92 Wrote:  I agree about the better direction, I'm aiming to direct all of my actors through skype from now on, the only issue is that the actress playing Jo lives in Greece so she is like 7 hours ahead of me and the other actress in this episode (who played blue-haired girl) is a one time character who isn't showing up again.

Ouch. I know how that is. I work with a VA from New Zealand, who is 6 hours behind on the next day, a British VA, 5 hours, and I used to work with a Czech VA, 6 hours. And of course, being on the East Coast, Pillow is 3 hours behind me. It can be difficult to schedule, but it can be done. Keep it up, dude.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
02-28-2011, 02:10 AM
(02-26-2011 03:11 PM)ThornBrain Wrote:  After the first watch I thought it was their weakest episode thus far. It felt like 1Kids, Jerry and Nowacking had no idea what they wanted to do with the episode, so they ended up throwing a bunch of disjointed, "look how ridiculous we can be" jokes into it, which only served to make the whole thing feel pointless. Didn't actually laugh until the second half when Ash makes a callback to episode 7, plus a few from thereon.

Second watch I was able to "get" more of it, and I like it more than I did first time. I still say a lot of the writing feels pointless and directionless, but I think it's just because the intro is practically nothing but jokes with no actual punchline; not a good first impression. I think some of it, like
Spoiler(Show)
just ends up being distracting, like how some of the visual gags from episode 4 ended up distracting from the writing of that episode. I'd say it's better than their episode 4, but weaker than their previous three episodes.
I must say that Nowacking's really starting to impress me. She's always been a hit-and-miss voice actor to me with practically everything she's ever done, but her performance as Misty (and I assume Nurse Joy) was really solid this episode.

I completely agree. These were my thoughts exactly, actually. I was so frigging confused watching it. I'm glad you were able to summarize my thoughts so nicely. I don't meant to use that as a cop-out for actually writing my own critique. If you know me, you know I can whip up a critique if I want to. But you summed up my own thoughts so well that I couldn't possibly improve upon them.

And as far as Nowacking being hit or miss, I actually agree. But in those kinds of cases, where an actor's performance isn't the best, the most you can really do is blame the vocal director or whoever accepted those lines. It's not to say people can't have bad performances, but it's really the directors fault when a crappy take is used. Either direct better and get better performances from your actors or replace them. The blame almost never falls solely on the voice actor unless they did the directing themselves. Just thought I should point that out for some people.

That being said, these were fine performances, but in my opinion, the worst written episode so far. I mean, even the worst episodes of 'Bridged before this were at the very least mostly coherent. I really have no idea what happened with that script. Perhaps 1Kids can enlighten us. Where you guys smoking crack? Cause if so, I guess I can excuse this one. Tongue
02-28-2011, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2011 04:23 AM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
(02-26-2011 05:40 PM)jpace92 Wrote:  Here's my new episode of Burst Angel Abridged. Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Sorry, but this is not the Box of Danger or ToonZone thread. We don't allow people to link their own videos here. If you want to do that, I'll have to ask you to move it to either a thread for specifically your series, or the Formal Critiques section.

(02-28-2011 02:10 AM)Airrest Wrote:  
(02-26-2011 03:11 PM)ThornBrain Wrote:  After the first watch I thought it was their weakest episode thus far. It felt like 1Kids, Jerry and Nowacking had no idea what they wanted to do with the episode, so they ended up throwing a bunch of disjointed, "look how ridiculous we can be" jokes into it, which only served to make the whole thing feel pointless. Didn't actually laugh until the second half when Ash makes a callback to episode 7, plus a few from thereon.

Spoiler(Show)

I completely agree. These were my thoughts exactly, actually. I was so frigging confused watching it. I'm glad you were able to summarize my thoughts so nicely. I don't meant to use that as a cop-out for actually writing my own critique. If you know me, you know I can whip up a critique if I want to. But you summed up my own thoughts so well that I couldn't possibly improve upon them.

And as far as Nowacking being hit or miss, I actually agree. But in those kinds of cases, where an actor's performance isn't the best, the most you can really do is blame the vocal director or whoever accepted those lines. It's not to say people can't have bad performances, but it's really the directors fault when a crappy take is used. Either direct better and get better performances from your actors or replace them. The blame almost never falls solely on the voice actor unless they did the directing themselves. Just thought I should point that out for some people.

That being said, these were fine performances, but in my opinion, the worst written episode so far. I mean, even the worst episodes of 'Bridged before this were at the very least mostly coherent. I really have no idea what happened with that script. Perhaps 1Kids can enlighten us. Where you guys smoking crack? Cause if so, I guess I can excuse this one. Tongue

This episode lacked a lot of the structure of the previous episode, and was very high on the random-meter. Combine that with a fair bit of moving around during the episode, and it became fairly hard to follow for a lot of people, which creates a downward spiral in the viewer's ability to enjoy the episode.

It was a writing mistake. We overlooked it because we enjoyed the script a lot as it was, but we now know what the problem was and are planning on never letting it happen again.

It happens. People have an off episode occasionally, which isn't a bad thing. It's a nice kick in the butt to improve, and usually reveals a facet of the scripting process that we previously hadn't paid attention to or noticed.

Though, I do disagree with anyone who says this episode was, overall, the worst. Maybe it wasn't as good as 5/6/7, but I still put it above 2/3/4, and miles ahead of episode 1. But hey, that's just my opinion. I enjoyed Socky. I enjoyed pretty much everything with Brock, especially the fight with Damian. I enjoyed the clapping bit and the operation bit with Nurse Joy. As one of the writers, I guess the lack of structure and direction was invisible to me.

Though I might note I think 5 was just as unstructured as this episode was. This episode was just more random than 5 was, which made it harder for people to follow.

And regarding Nowacking's voice acting abilities, I've almost always found her performances to be pretty much perfect. The acting has almost never been a problem for me. She needs more range and differentiation. And even there, she's been improving.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
02-28-2011, 04:58 AM
(02-28-2011 04:14 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  
(02-26-2011 05:40 PM)jpace92 Wrote:  Here's my new episode of Burst Angel Abridged. Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Sorry, but this is not the Box of Danger or ToonZone thread. We don't allow people to link their own videos here. If you want to do that, I'll have to ask you to move it to either a thread for specifically your series, or the Formal Critiques section.

(02-28-2011 02:10 AM)Airrest Wrote:  

Spoiler(Show)

This episode lacked a lot of the structure of the previous episode, and was very high on the random-meter. Combine that with a fair bit of moving around during the episode, and it became fairly hard to follow for a lot of people, which creates a downward spiral in the viewer's ability to enjoy the episode.

It was a writing mistake. We overlooked it because we enjoyed the script a lot as it was, but we now know what the problem was and are planning on never letting it happen again.

It happens. People have an off episode occasionally, which isn't a bad thing. It's a nice kick in the butt to improve, and usually reveals a facet of the scripting process that we previously hadn't paid attention to or noticed.

Though, I do disagree with anyone who says this episode was, overall, the worst. Maybe it wasn't as good as 5/6/7, but I still put it above 2/3/4, and miles ahead of episode 1. But hey, that's just my opinion. I enjoyed Socky. I enjoyed pretty much everything with Brock, especially the fight with Damian. I enjoyed the clapping bit and the operation bit with Nurse Joy. As one of the writers, I guess the lack of structure and direction was invisible to me.

Though I might note I think 5 was just as unstructured as this episode was. This episode was just more random than 5 was, which made it harder for people to follow.

And regarding Nowacking's voice acting abilities, I've almost always found her performances to be pretty much perfect. The acting has almost never been a problem for me. She needs more range and differentiation. And even there, she's been improving.

(btw, I do want to note that I did say the performances were good. But in cases where anyone's performance is bad, you can't always blame the voice actor.)
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
(02-28-2011 04:58 AM)Airrest Wrote:  (btw, I do want to note that I did say the performances were good. But in cases where anyone's performance is bad, you can't always blame the voice actor.)

Oh yeah, definitely. I was more replying to the comment that Nowacking specifically has been on and off in the past. I'm not sure if Thorn was talking about in Pokemon 'Bridged too, but if he was, I was shouldering almost all of the responsibility for that. Other than voice differentiation, I've thought every take I've used from her has been right on the money.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)