New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter/Updates (Read OP Before Posting!)
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
RE: Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter
I just find her to be grating and to be really limited with what she can do with her voice, though she's obviously growing out of that. Her earlier voice acting didn't feel so much like acting as it did talking loudly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
(02-28-2011 06:32 PM)ThornBrain Wrote:  I just find her to be grating and to be really limited with what she can do with her voice, though she's obviously growing out of that. Her earlier voice acting didn't feel so much like acting as it did talking loudly.

Well, we're talking about two different things here, I think. As far as acting, I can't speak for that, since I haven't really heard her older stuff. She seems like a fine actress now. But I will agree with the limitations of what she can do with her voice, but I'm kind of the same way (though to a lesser extent). Yes, no matter what voice she does, she still sounds like herself, really. However, a lot of famous voice actresses/actors have just one voice. Michelle Ruff is a great example of someone that never seems to end up doing anything but just... well... Michell Ruff, though she CAN do more. And JYB has only one voice, too, but I think he's a fine actor and of course he still gets roles. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing in the VA industry, but it probably doesn't help, either.
03-03-2011, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 12:13 AM by Airrest.)

My one major complaint with Code MENT continues to be CLIPPING! SO MUCH FRIGGIN CLIPPING! AGH! Really, I dread watching it because I know my ears will bleed and my speakers will crackle; which sucks cause the episodes are usually pretty good.
03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Purpleeyes' breakneck pacing continues to make up for long spans without many actual "jokes", but I'd rather he quit doing music bits. I don't think they've ever worked for him, and they were the only parts I skipped through. It was alright otherwise, but it didn't leave much of an impact.
03-03-2011, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:19 AM by Airrest.)
I actually enjoy his pacing and think there are a decent amount of actual jokes. But it's all very different than what most are used to, which is why I love it, honestly. I just can't stand the clipping. It's close to physically painful to watch because of it, which is why I don't watch his episodes usually more than 1 time (there are 1 or 2 exceptions). I hate that because I honestly think I could get more enjoyment out of them with proper audio recording.
03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Oh, I was wondering what you meant by clipping. The word I've always heard is "peaking".

Tbh, I find him funnier as he is right now, peaking with the loud stuff.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
(03-03-2011 10:34 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Oh, I was wondering what you meant by clipping. The word I've always heard is "peaking".

Tbh, I find him funnier as he is right now, peaking with the loud stuff.

Clipping = peaking. Same exact thing.

Don't encourage clipping. S'not cool, broski. Sad
03-05-2011, 03:14 AM
So the AbridgedContest guys (LordMoonstone, Xerostyle, KaiserNeko, SamTheGreek) have gotten through the first round of videos. I'm pretty excited to see if a newcomer wins this thing. Not only will it be an upset, I'll have someone knew to keep an eye on. Big Grin
03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
(03-05-2011 03:14 AM)Airrest Wrote:  So the AbridgedContest guys (LordMoonstone, Xerostyle, KaiserNeko, SamTheGreek) have gotten through the first round of videos. I'm pretty excited to see if a newcomer wins this thing. Not only will it be an upset, I'll have someone knew to keep an eye on. Big Grin

Yeah, this should be quite fun. Been looking forward to the results for a while now.

Mind you, my tastes in comedy are different from each of the judges, so there's a high chance that some of what comes out in the top few places may not be to my liking (Such as GuttedWren), but I'm hoping to find at least 1 new thing.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I assure you a lot of the top 10 entries are people we've never heard of. At least for my list. What Xerostyle and I have as number 1 is this duo that came out of nowhere.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Those guys have a LOT of slag to slog through. It can get very difficult to keep yourself sharp when trying to do something in a timely manner, which is what a lot of people are going to expect from them. Especially if you want to be professional and give everyone a fair shake, even when it means sitting through an entire video of something you really don't like. (I tried watching all the vids myself and ended up going to the next entry after the first minute of some.)

I really hope they don't get a lot of haters for whatever decision they make. It's going to be a very hard one!
03-05-2011, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 04:33 PM by Airrest.)
Trudat, Sen. I also tried to go through the videos myself. I have no idea how you guys did it, Moonstone. I do not envy you. Lawl.
03-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Out of curiosity, do you know how many of the entrants were from 2010?
03-06-2011, 01:16 AM
None? I mean we had some early on that were trying to enter that we had to message back and say "The rules say we can only accept them from 2011, sorry." That was fun.
03-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Yoshi and I remember seeing a few in the last week before you extended the deadline. Must have been weeded out and we didn't notice.

So I've been "planning" a solo abridged series of the Bomberman Jetters anime, but I've recently decided I work better with a group and would like to work with different colleagues and friends I've made. Since group projects can be a hassle for a lot of people, should I work with a group of people to get things off the ground then narrow it down once the pilot's out, or should I rely on my abilities as a persuasive project head and couple that with just-plain reliable people?
03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I've seen a few of them. There was a ton of terrible videos. I felt bad for them because I know I couldn't do it.
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
(03-06-2011 01:46 AM)ThornBrain Wrote:  So I've been "planning" a solo abridged series of the Bomberman Jetters anime, but I've recently decided I work better with a group and would like to work with different colleagues and friends I've made. Since group projects can be a hassle for a lot of people, should I work with a group of people to get things off the ground then narrow it down once the pilot's out, or should I rely on my abilities as a persuasive project head and couple that with just-plain reliable people?

Well the bigger the group the more chaos you end up with. I've found that pulling together a bunch of people at the beginning kills a project fast. *cough*captainplanet*cough*

So unless you see this large group in person on a regular basis, I'd go with the second plan.
03-07-2011, 12:22 AM
(03-06-2011 01:46 AM)ThornBrain Wrote:  So I've been "planning" a solo abridged series of the Bomberman Jetters anime, but I've recently decided I work better with a group and would like to work with different colleagues and friends I've made. Since group projects can be a hassle for a lot of people, should I work with a group of people to get things off the ground then narrow it down once the pilot's out, or should I rely on my abilities as a persuasive project head and couple that with just-plain reliable people?

Either or could work. Though I don't have much experience in this, here's what I'm going to try to do with a couple of projects. I suggest trying to script with either just you or you and one other person and then do a few voices yourself and delegate the voices you can't do or don't want to do to other people you trust. It will likely make things go much quicker and smoother.

(03-06-2011 03:05 PM)MasterWGS Wrote:  I've seen a few of them. There was a ton of terrible videos. I felt bad for them because I know I couldn't do it.

I feel downright awful. Mostly terrible stuff.
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011 09:50 AM by Serenity Frost.)
I don't know, they weren't horrible. It was mostly just people who don't quite know what they're doing yet. Jewelpets is only even remotely good because I had you to edit it for me and you're a meticulous bastard with a good sense of direction and a proper editing program. The sound quality wouldn't have turned out bad, but then I've got a degree in sound engineering and somewhat professional equipment to work with. Most others have their webcam or the mic that is installed in their laptop and windows movie maker. So really, focusing on the video and audio quality is a little unfair in a contest like this. The real focus would have to be the writing. No matter how shitastically it was made, did it make you laugh for reasons other than the fecescapades?

But that could just be me. I'm more than willing to sit there with my fingers on my volume knob if the show is funny. And I suppose there should be some consideration taken for sound and video quality. After all, there are some people with the previously mentioned mic and movie maker that can create wonderfully decent things.
03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
But if you have one funny script that has a polished presentation vs. another funny script with a lackluster one, I'd probably go for the better looking/sounding one. Unless the other guy was a nobody; then my love of underdogs would probably compel me to the opposite.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)