New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter/Updates (Read OP Before Posting!)
10-05-2016, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 10:04 AM by eagle8burger.)
RE: Abridged & Parody Talkback/Chatter/Updates (Read OP Before Posting!)
Kickstarting this thread again for posterity.

First off - congrats Stephan on finishing S1 of a parody! That is a major undertaking and this was such an unbelievable series from start to finish in terms of cast, quality, production design, and humour.

Also, that Armin edit was FUCKING PRICELESS. BEST NUDES IN A SERIES EVER.

If I have a gripe with this series, it's purely a pet peeve about inserting music into a parody. I won't speak about the quality of the songs themselves - they were amazingly well sung and mixed (iffy about some of the lyrics). I just have a problem with songs that telegraph their punchlines. In this final episode, you're essentially just telling your audience to laugh for 2-3 minutes because "people are singing".

You're better than that.

In my experience, writing comedic music plays at half the speed of a normal joke because the audience has the benefit of rhyming. For example, "Fuck it" - while funny - plays super slow because of the obvious rhyme scheme. You need to play with that more using misdirection. Most people will be able to predict the end joke, but that opens up any in-line jokes you have to play much funnier because they will seemingly come out of nowhere.

I'd also advise speeding up the tempo of your songs for similar reasons. Granted, "Fuck it" is orchestrated to be emotional - so I get why it's playing that slow. I would advise, however, that you lyrically play into that emotion a bit more and derive your comedy from that rather than relying on punchlines - kinda like what the SWEntertainment guys have done with their very emotional adaptation of SAO. You can find a lot of comedy in voicing genuine sentiments (see Louis CK).

While I've spent a lot of time harping on this, it's only because it's a pet peeve of mine and shouldn't be taken to be representative of the whole episode nor the whole series - which was fantastic. There are some jokes I don't enjoy subjectively, but the writing certainly works consistently. Furthermore, the use of visual humour is not lost on me and consistently plays to your biggest laughs - as it should.

Congrats on an incredible first season! Congrats to all involved! Truly motivating to anyone in this community to persevere.

Heart ~ I'LL PLAY MYSELF OUT ~ Heart
[Image: Xul_Se.gif]

Editor, Writer, VA
Darker than Black - Hyperabridged
My VA Channel (Sokka Shorts/RANGER DOOWOP)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes eagle8burger's post
10-13-2016, 10:40 PM
[Image: tumblr_mfqsucCA3F1rrhvgbo2_400.gif]

[Image: Kirranquote.png]
[Image: zoLinX2.gif]
11-15-2016, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2016 10:03 PM by LeRoygendary.)
Check out this sweet new parody BuddyVA made all by himself and with no help.

Hajime No Ippo: the Abridging!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...YMOBMP2jZM
04-04-2017, 11:38 PM
'Bout past time we had something new to liven things up.

I like this short. A lot more than I originally admitted. I like the pacing: despite the extra seriousness of Guts' kills, it didn't get in the way. The fact it's only two minutes helps a lot 'cause I know the video has to get to its point in that short amount of time. It's got just enough sophistication like in the "I'll make sure they get what they deserve" line that tells me this guy knows what he's doing.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)