New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferguson, Missouri shooting and riots
11-18-2014, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 11:51 AM by Copley.)
Ferguson, Missouri shooting and riots
I was trying not to bring this up, as I know it's a big source of controversy, but it's something that's been at the front of my mind for quite awhile and things are continuing to heat up rather than cooling down.

The National Guard was recently called in in preparation for the hearing of Officer Darren Wilson. For those of you who don't live in the U.S. or are unaware of the situation, Wilson shot and killed an unarmed 18-year-old, Michael Brown. The circumstances surrounding the killing have become increasingly less clear, with details consistently changing an inconsistent. If I'm reporting this wrong (which I don't think I am), please don't hesitate to correct me and I will fix this post.

I'm not specifically wanting to discuss Wilson's guilt or innocence, but rather about the police reaction to the upcoming trial. From what I've gathered and based on the response, I'm thinking that Wilson will be acquitted of any major charges. However, is the National Guard necessary? The police have plenty of military equipment as is, and frankly, if someone wants to kill Wilson when/if he is acquitted, they will find a way.

Again, I'd rather not linger on his guilt or his innocence, but rather the response to both the upcoming trial and the possible response if he is acquitted.

YouTube: House at a Party
[Image: 1EtyqgH]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Ferguson, Missouri shooting and riots
What is the reason they gave for bring the national Gaurd in? Is that the name for the American Army by the way?

Go see Age of Inside Out.
Find all posts by this user
11-18-2014, 04:48 PM
The National Guard is the domestic military, basically. They're called in to put down riots or respond in situations that a city's normal police force can't handle on it's own. For example, the National Guard was called in to New York after 9/11 to help bolster the relief effort. A more notorious example is when Nixon called them in to put down the Kent State demonstrations, and they ended up shooting protesters.

They're being called in in Ferguson because they believe that there will be (more) riots and people will be put in danger, due to the tension in that city being too high. Likewise, if the Officer is acquitted, they'll probably stay just to make sure there's no race war immediately afterwards.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
11-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Righto then. I'd have to say the I think the national guard is pretty necessary. If your police is anything like our police, (Insufficiently trained to deal with rioting) then you'd a big problem. From what I've seen from John Oliver, America's Police force have giant guns and in some cases Tanks, and not the necessary training for them. So you'd have a substantly bigger problem than our blue heelers with pea shooters.

The National Guard, If it's anything like our Army Reserves, will have the adequate training to deal with the fallout of the trail. The hardware doesn't even fall into it.

Go see Age of Inside Out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)