New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Comedy?
05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
RE: How Do I Comedy?
Not really, you say that we have to look into our inner demons and our shortcomings as to why we find ourselves to be funny. And go on a spiritual journey. What I'm saying, is that just the basic feeling of joy when you make another person laugh, or feel good makes another (the comedian) feel good as well, which is Empathy. It's true that many comedians have depression, or depression-like illnesses, like Robin Williams, and Jim Carrey. Even Zach Braff has mild depression. So, maybe, we already know about how horrible it feels, so we might as well try to make other people feel better.
Quote:My point was that humour is something that actively defies rational analysis, because it's fundamentally linked with anarchy and the desire to break taboos and thereby shatter social norms in a socially acceptable way. Now there's a neat little paradox for you.
Humor doesn't have to be about anarchy, or shattering social norms. Hell, a joke can simply be "Hey, guess what." "What?" "Chickenbutt" *Both chuckle*
Jokes that are aimed at belittling someone else, however, is in the grey-area of jokes, in my opinion.
Once you learn the structure of a joke, you can figure out what to put inside of a joke, like with language, you have the syntax, and the grammar. The grammar is the structure, whereas the syntax is the meaning. From what I've read, the only meaning you've derived, is a dark and brooding, anarchic and taboo humor. Which is fine, I'm sure. But there are others who would much rather have light-hearted, or whimsical humor.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 03:59 PM by Uraby210.)
(05-10-2015 02:11 PM)dylanhack Wrote:  Not really, you say that we have to look into our inner demons and our shortcomings as to why we find ourselves to be funny. And go on a spiritual journey.

Not saying you have to, it just helps.

Quote:What I'm saying, is that just the basic feeling of joy when you make another person laugh, or feel good makes another (the comedian) feel good as well, which is Empathy.

Never heard of it.

Quote:It's true that many comedians have depression, or depression-like illnesses, like Robin Williams, and Jim Carrey. Even Zach Braff has mild depression. So, maybe, we already know about how horrible it feels, so we might as well try to make other people feel better.

You sure you don't agree with where I'm coming from?

Quote:Humor doesn't have to be about anarchy, or shattering social norms. Hell, a joke can simply be "Hey, guess what." "What?" "Chickenbutt" *Both chuckle*

That joke is funny because it means nothing. The humour doesn't come from references or juxtaposition, it comes from surreal anti-reasoning. In other words, deliberately going against the rules of logic and conventional humour. Sounds pretty anarchic to me.

Quote:Once you learn the structure of a joke, you can figure out what to put inside of a joke, like with language, you have the syntax, and the grammar. The grammar is the structure, whereas the syntax is the meaning. From what I've read, the only meaning you've derived, is a dark and brooding, anarchic and taboo humor. Which is fine, I'm sure. But there are others who would much rather have light-hearted, or whimsical humor.

Yeah, there's more than one kind of humour in the world. And I'll go out on a limb and risk starting a flame war here - I may have my favourites but when you get right down to it, they're all funny and I respect them all equally.

But I'm also naturally curious, and I'm curious to know what reasons a person has behind their choice of joking style, whatever it may be. It can reveal a lot about them as a person.

YOUR ALL DICKS
05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Quote:Not saying you have to, it just helps.
This will only set you on the path, a footprint. But it won't make you funny. For me, listening to Eeyore, the donkey-like creature in Winnie the Pooh always made me laugh. But he didn't set out to be a comedian. If anything, that sorta thing is the very anarchic type of humor you're talking about. If the comedian (or the person who is in the central part of a humorous situation) doesn't know about a audience, nor that his reactions cause said audience to laugh, then there's no order, nor control. The only incident of order and control, are the writer and illustrator, as well as many other people who worked on the cartoon know about the joke. That's the order and structure, but they're behind the scene.

Quote:You sure you don't agree with where I'm coming from?
Not really, because some comedians use humor, or comedy, as a way to change things. Or others are just wanna be funny. Some wanna be rich (these ones don't last one)

Quote:That joke is funny because it means nothing. The humour doesn't come from references or juxtaposition, it comes from surreal anti-reasoning. In other words, deliberately going against the rules of logic and conventional humour. Sounds pretty anarchic to me.
It isn't anarchic, mainly because the person who is making the joke knows exactly the type of joke it will be before they even open their mouth. Therefore, there's control. It can not be this type of joke if the person. Let's say "No" in response. The joke is therefore ruined. So, in order for this joke to be performed. It requires a type of control. This means a structure of responses that will trigger the punchline of this joke.
Quote:Yeah, there's more than one kind of humour in the world. And I'll go out on a limb and risk starting a flame war here - I may have my favourites but when you get right down to it, they're all funny and I respect them all equally.
We both agree on that, thankfully.

05-25-2015, 11:10 AM

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
06-23-2015, 10:35 PM

Spoiler(Show)
07-01-2015, 10:25 PM

Spoiler(Show)
07-01-2015, 11:44 PM

My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dgZgo...ibTvLcmiVg
[+] 1 user Likes zombieload's post
10-15-2015, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 12:18 AM by Anax.)
Nonsense and Illogic

A trend I'm growing aware of is the sense of surprise a punchline provides. The setup will have the viewer slowly trekking up a roller coaster, fully anticipating a smooth apex and descent. Only, the punchline will cut the tracks out from underneath them, sending the carts into unexpected, unexplained free-fall.

"Fail" videos rely on this heavily.

Cats:
Spoiler(Show)

Trampolines:
Spoiler(Show)

Almighty Russia:
Spoiler(Show)

To return to the original video, Dunkey's forte is expressing the nonsensical in a drab, nonchalant fashion. Choosing "Sanic" as his race in Skyrim? Perfectly reasonable. The great freight train, "Skyrim," descending from the heavens to rescue him? Most normal thing in the world. Master Chief as a companion? Not the slightest bit out of the ordinary. It's his expression of total normalcy to totally abnormal circumstances, and illogical responses to sensible setups, that throw curveballs to the viewer. With a wink and a trollish grin, he slyly implies, "Gotch-yaaaa!"

"But that's all so ran-dumbXD and doesn't make any sense!"

Comedy does not have to make reasonable sense. Some (many) jokes are better left with the logic unresolved. Explaining a jest to someone usually kills it.

Spoiler(Show)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)