New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
An Idiot-Proof Guide to Youtube Dispute/Counter Claiming
07-21-2011, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2012 09:04 PM by Airrest.)
Information An Idiot-Proof Guide to Youtube Dispute/Counter Claiming
If there's one thing that's plagued me for as long as I've been doing this abridged stuff, it's copyright. I personally have been suspended 12 times, and I've met people all throughout the Internet--abridgers, fandubbers, AMV editors, let's players and a few other video makers--who've had to deal with Youtube's copyright shenanigans.

Since I learned about the counter-claim system from 1Kidsentertainment, I've also been trying to help a lot of people reverse suspensions and get videos put back up. I've either held the person's hand, walked them through the process step-by-step, or I gave them a rather open ended explanation with a few links and nothing more. Each of these has a problem: the first one takes a good while and some frustration when dealing with people, and the second one usually gets screwed up whenever I have to explain things to an idiot. Hate to say it that way, but it's true.

And that's where this guide comes in. I hope it will be an incredibly straightforward, detailed and extensive visual to help people with Youtube copyright problems. I also hope you all get some use out of it, especially the newer people here that haven't had to deal with copyright yet.

---------------------------------------------

First of all are copyright disputes. These are not counterclaims, and yes, the terminology is important for this case. Disputes are used for when a claimant disables audio, or video, or both, or simply puts an ad up. Whenever an amv is muted by WMG, this is what should be used. On claims that involve a copyright dispute, you do not get a strike, and you can get as many as you like without worrying about a suspension.

[Image: howtocounterclaim.png]

First go to Youtube and your videos page, as show in this image.

[Image: howtocounterclaim2.png]

Next, click on the Content ID Match tab, which has been highlighted in yellow for your convenience.

[Image: howtocounterclaim3.png]

This should take you to a list of every copyright claimed video on your channel; strikable and not.

[Image: howtocounterclaim4.png]

This is a video of mine that got blocked in Germany. I'm going to use it as an example to show the dispute form. It's worth noting, however, that because it's an AMV, it's technically not legal to dispute or counterclaim them. Plus it's just Germany, so, I'm not actually gonna dispute it.

Click on the View Copyright Info bar.

[Image: howtocounterclaim5.png]

On this screen, you can see all of the details of this particular copyright claim, including what the claimant did, who they are, and what you can do about it.

Click the highlighted link which says "I would like to learn more about the dispute process."

[Image: howtocounterclaim6.png]

Contrary to what it says, this screen isn't all too important. It's a very basic overview of fair use law.

Click the link to the dispute form.

[Image: howtocounterclaim7.png]

This is the dispute form. If you're an abridger trying to dispute a parody, click the second bubble and say something to the effect of: "This video is a parody, which is in compliance with the fair use clause." If your content was misidentified or you do have permission, then go with that.

Then just enter your name and copy and paste the statement of good faith and press continue.

[Image: howtocounterclaim8.png]

This screen just shows the info you put in. Click Submit.

And voila! You've submitted a claim dispute. Your video will be back up immediately. If the claimant company challenges your dispute, you'll have to do a whole different process, known as a counter-notification.

The counter claim, unlike disputes, do count as strikes on your Youtube, and if you get three of them, you will be suspended. And if you get suspended, all of your stuff gets wiped out. I'll show you how to deal with a suspension in a bit.

[Image: howtocounterclaim9.png]

This is the copyright info page of a video that actually has a strike on my channel. I'm going to counter claim it because it's a parody.

You'll notice that this one doesn't have a link to the dispute form. Instead, click on the highlighted link that reads "counter notice."

[Image: howtocounterclaim10.png]

This page has a lot of legalese, but the main reason you're here is to click the highlighted link.

[Image: howtocounterclaim11.png]

I've seen that link take people both here and another page later in the chain. So we'll start here just to be safe.

Click the box to expand.

[Image: howtocounterclaim12.png]

And click the highlighted link that'll lead you to the online form.

[Image: howtocounterclaim13.png]
This is the other page. It's basically a filter to weed out people who Youtube deems don't have a legitimate counterclaim.

Click the bubble saying you have read the copyright rules. If you haven't read them, don't worry about it. Neither have I.

[Image: howtocounterclaim14.png]

There will be a box asking if you know the claimant and the url of the video that got removed. If you do, move on ahead. If not, or if you've been suspended, click "No" and follow that until you get to this page.

Fill out the email address of the account, and Youtube will email you your video url and copyright information. This should only take you two minutes or so.

Make sure you have the video urls! They will be important later.

[Image: howtocounterclaim15.png]

[Image: howtocounterclaim16.png]

These are more questions. Fill out the bubbles as I have, or Youtube may not let you go to the counter-notification form.

[Image: howtocounterclaim17.png]

This screen is one last obstacle before you get to the form. Quite frankly, it pisses me off that they use all of this scary language to keep you from submitting. But don't worry. So long as you have a legitimate claim, which you probably do, you'll have nothing to worry about. Even if you don't have a legitimate claim, no company is gonna pay the money to sue one person about it.

So don't sweat it. Click the highlighted link.

http://tinyurl.com/YTcounterclaim

This link will take you directly to the counterclaim form. In a way, it's made the entire second part of this guide up to this point irrelevant. However, I would advise going through the full tour at least once so as to familiarize yourself with the layout of the counter-notification process.

I'm not gonna screenshot it, however, because it wouldn't be readable anyways. Just follow the link and fill out the blanks. You'll have to give out a lot of personal information and swear that you're not committing perjury, but as I said before, this shouldn't be an issue.

You'll also need the exact urls of the videos being countered, and your password. If you don't, you tocan't submit the claim. This is important, because this has happened to a good number of the people I've helped before with this process.

Finally, after you've submitted your claim, Youtube will email you in 3-5 days telling you they've processed it. After that, it takes(supposedly) 10 days for them to actually restore your video or account. So all in all, the average wait time after submitting a counter-notification is two weeks, give or take a day or two.

And that people, is how to submit your own Youtube counter-notification. For most of the people currently on this forum, this is probably old news. But for the rookies, and the future editors, voice actors and abridgers, this is probably the most comprehensive explanation of counterclaiming you'll find. If you get lost navigating the copyright process, even with this guide...I'm not really sure you should be operating a computer in the first place.

Good luck.

-Truthordeal.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Truthordeal's post
07-21-2011, 04:50 PM
RE: An Idiot-Proof Guide to Youtube Dispute/Counter Claiming
Even though I knew all of this, freaking awesome guide. Wink

[Image: petewave.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes. Great guide! Some people just flat out give up.

Check out tales of the abridged
http://www.youtube.com/maddoggninetyone

Twitter
Youmaddogg

07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Amazing guide man!

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
07-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Sticked.

07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the guide. Really appreciate it Smile

YouTube channel: HarrysFiddlesticks
Twitter: @HarryFiddlestik

[Image: sTQCk44.gif]
03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey guys, it's me again. Youtube's gone through some changes since I first made this post, so I figured I'd update this guide to fit those changes.

Good news though. It seems that rather than pulling you through a whole web of bullcrap to make a proper counterclaim, Youtube's streamlined things, as you can see in this image:

[Image: recounterclaim1.png]

Just go to Video Manager, Copyright Notices, and choose a video, and this screen will pop up. Two things: 1) The bottom yellow square shows the new link that goes right to the counterclaim form. 2) The upper yellow square shows the new link to counterclaim multiple videos at once. Both of these are awesome additions. The first one eliminates the need for the Youtube URL, and the second one avoids the clunkiness involved with multiple copyright disputes.

Well done, Youtube. Rock

[Image: recounterclaim2.png]

This is the new counterclaim form. Click the box. Don't bother reading, because it's nothing you don't already know.

[Image: recounterclaim3.png]

Click...click...blah, blah.

But wait! There's something new and interesting added!

[Image: recounterclaim3andahalf.png]

Turns out that under the new system, strikes disappear after six months of not getting a strike. Perfect for those of you who make AMVs or fandbus and can't counterclaim.

Again, well done. If it weren't for this new channel layout, I would give you a banana sticker, Youtube.

[Image: recounterclaim4.png]

Fill this shit out, click submit, you're done. Easy as pie.

And that, lady and gents, is how to navigate the new Youtube counterclaim system. I'm Truthordeal, and it has been a pleasure.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
03-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Fucking brilliant. Great job, Truth.

[Image: tumblr_o50z6sCEXP1usrgjso2_540.gif]
04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
A video we made was marked for copyright and not allowed on mobile devices. It had a soundtrack on there for background music but was otherwise pictures of my daughters. The video is for a non profit company.

We filled out the forms and the video has been restored, I am assuming while they review it.

What are they chances they will put it down within the 30 day review period?
04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
If it's just audio, the risk of them actually making you counter claim is not as high, at least in my experience. Anything could happen though, so just counter it if they do. Again, no company is gonna actually take legal action against someone using their song in a slideshow.

04-14-2013, 05:13 PM

I just don't want them to take it down as we are attaching the link to some marketing for the non-profit organization.

It is the theme song from Rudy.
04-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Well the production company seems to have put an ad on your video sending people to their Amazon page. There's really no 100% sure way to prevent them from taking it down again, but if that does happen then you still have the option of counter claiming. It just takes some patience to go through.

04-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Thank you for your time and knowledge. Appreciate it!!
04-14-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 06:26 PM by Airrest.)
I'd just like to add to this thread that we in no way endorse making fraudulent counter-claims nor is anyone here allowed to give any kind of legal advice. It's your personal responsibility to ensure that your counter-claim is valid. And although I like the video and it's very touching and I'm sure you're a great guy, I don't think you have a valid legal reason to counter-claim based on what little I know about copyright law. I would talk to a lawyer for actual legal advice.
02-18-2014, 02:54 AM
Question: After I submit a counter.. it says "counter notification pending..."
Then a day or two later.. It says "Submit a counter notification" as if i'd never sent it the first time. Is this something that just automatically happens? Is it still being processed or do I have to keep filling out the same form over and over? Anyone else have this problem?
04-15-2015, 01:57 PM
(03-09-2012 12:14 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Hey guys, it's me again. Youtube's gone through some changes since I first made this post, so I figured I'd update this guide to fit those changes.

Good news though. It seems that rather than pulling you through a whole web of bullcrap to make a proper counterclaim, Youtube's streamlined things, as you can see in this image:

[Image: recounterclaim1.png]

Just go to Video Manager, Copyright Notices, and choose a video, and this screen will pop up. Two things: 1) The bottom yellow square shows the new link that goes right to the counterclaim form. 2) The upper yellow square shows the new link to counterclaim multiple videos at once. Both of these are awesome additions. The first one eliminates the need for the Youtube URL, and the second one avoids the clunkiness involved with multiple copyright disputes.

Well done, Youtube. Rock

[Image: recounterclaim2.png]

This is the new counterclaim form. Click the box. Don't bother reading, because it's nothing you don't already know.

[Image: recounterclaim3.png]

Click...click...blah, blah.

But wait! There's something new and interesting added!

[Image: recounterclaim3andahalf.png]

Turns out that under the new system, strikes disappear after six months of not getting a strike. Perfect for those of you who make AMVs or fandbus and can't counterclaim.

Again, well done. If it weren't for this new channel layout, I would give you a banana sticker, Youtube.

[Image: recounterclaim4.png]

Fill this shit out, click submit, you're done. Easy as pie.

And that, lady and gents, is how to navigate the new Youtube counterclaim system. I'm Truthordeal, and it has been a pleasure.

Okay so i got to the CopyRight Notices, and it says it blocked world -wide so i click it and sends me to this page heres whats it says

"Your video may include clips that are owned by a third party.
To watch the matched clips please play the video on the right. The video will play from the point where the matched content was identified.
Your video is blocked globally.
Copyright details:

Visual content administered by: Click here to play matched content
Shopro
[Link]OK, got it[Click]
If you think this is an invalid claim, you can file a dispute.
Learn more about how claims impact your videos."

I made a Pokemon Abridge Series Episode one to be exact, and was supposed to come out today....but i didn't notice this ti'll when i launch my teaser trailer for the Actual Trailer for the new Series until my friend(s) & Acquaintances on Facebook Subscribers and Twitter and other social media sites told me that the video was block? so i check out my you tube video manger and this appeared, this is my first time uploading an Abridge series, and i have no experience with this please help

[Image: tumblr_mlflc6PHf31qbxfjqo8_r1_500.gif]
04-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Could you be more specific, Fighter? I'm always happy to help people on this issue, but I need to know where my guide is lacking in your situation.

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
04-17-2015, 11:33 AM
(04-15-2015 03:43 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Could you be more specific, Fighter? I'm always happy to help people on this issue, but I need to know where my guide is lacking in your situation.
Well which specifics ? on the youtube manger or...somthing else i didn't describe in detail?
oh and i made a Dispute prematurely by accident heres i wrote
The thing you suggested with some minor changes and also a little more detail as
what the fair use law and implement that this was a non-profit fan-based parody/Abridged series, and that i owned none of the visual video or pokemon itself and implied that i be able to use this footage so everyone could see it publicly

i hope my account doesn't get terminated T-T, it was just a teaser......wasn't even the whole episode

ill also send a link to the video download if u want to see if i the copy right notice is valid or not its down below --v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6g2bzJjcuE

i could view after i did the dispute apparently

04-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Ok, here's what happened: Your dispute, at least for the moment, was successful. The company that made the claim on your video hasn't yet moved on to the next stage, which is both good and bad. It's good, because your video is back for all to see. It's bad, because they can take it to the next stage at any point, and as someone who has had ShoPro up his ass for almost five years, it's entirely likely that they will.

For now you've done everything you can. The next step is ShoPro's, and if they take down your video again, you'll have to do the full counterclaim procedure listed above. Your account will get a strike, but you won't get terminated if it's your first one (you need three strikes, just like in baseball).

04-17-2015, 04:17 PM
i don't get it then how did entertainment kids do it? did they get permission or just happened to make certain changes to their video to avoid the detection? if so how T-T i tried doing it...maybe i did it wrong, i don't know i ask entrainementkids but they haven't respond XD probably busy or my message didn't get through at all.....Anyways Thank for helping me out and the very useful information so why did shopro do this its so annoying?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)