New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Don't Know What To Think Of Constantine
03-11-2015, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 10:22 AM by AwesomeChroniclesUK.)
Really Don't Know What To Think Of Constantine
-I'M NOT SURE WHAT COUNTS AS SPOILERS OR NOT, SO THIS THREAD MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE SPOILERS...SORRY-

So I was the one guy who like the 2005 movie Constantine based off the comic Hellblazer. I mean, it has a issues for sure, and I'm not saying it was good - I just have a lot of fun watching it (and, of course, Keanu Reeves is hilarious to watch).

Anyways, I was excited when I heard a TV show based off the same comic was coming out. My reaction upon watching it: *shrug*.

I really don't know what to think. I mean, the pacing in the first episode was awful, some of the visuals are laughably cheap and I'm not really seeing a concrete villain - there's no looming threat to be wary of to keep me interested. With their current formula of tracking down different monsters, solving some kind of mystery in the process, they feel more like Scooby-Doo episodes. And don't get me wrong, no one shall rag on Scooby-Doo while I'm around, but that's not what I want in a show based off Hellblazer.

On the other hand, the characters are pretty cool and they effectively make the show for me. John Constantine is just cool enough to make his often badly written dialogue work, I really want to know more about Zed's family and this kind of cultish background she's got, and Chaz just seems like a cool guy to have a drink with.
While I said some of the visuals are awful, there are times where they look pretty damn impressive - especially for a show that's clearly on a bit of a budget. The stories, while fairly predictable, at least have some kind of intrigue.

I just wish they'd give more of an idea of what the ultimate threat is. They keep making references to the 'rising darkness', but I haven't a bloody clue what it is. No hints, no clues, nothing. A mystery is when you give some subtle hints - enough to theorize, but not enough to be certain. Arbitrarily leaving your audience in the dark is just you giving something a name and nothing else.
If it's gonna be something as stupid as "Turns out it was the devil all along!" then I don't think they should bother. But if it's a genuinely cool and interesting idea, then I wish they'd flesh it out a little.

So I'm a little half hearted when it comes to the Constantine tv show. What do you guys think? I'm eager to hear.

And I always get the shemp.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)