New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yaro Critiques Your Sound
05-25-2015, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 07:54 PM by Yaro Shien.)
Yaro Critiques Your Sound
Now I know that people can make critical analysis on pretty much anything of anything now a days. But the one thing that bugs me is that some people have a poor standard for the ability to actually put some thorough work behind sounds.

So it comes to question, why am I qualified to tell you what is good sound design and what is bad sound design? Well, I have not come out with a piece of content that is lacking (in terms of the past year and a half, maybe two) of sound effects or design of said quality of the video that would not have stood out or at least good. And I also like to mention that I am a professional sound engineer\designer, so that might be a thing.

I have been a very strong judge of sound effects, and overall sound in general, in a way, and I am mostly turned away from videos that lack in that department. I wanna help is all. Hopefully, if there is any suggestion for a sound that you need I can give you a little something that will push it in the right direction. (cause secretly I love you)

Post your video and I will give a full, fair, unbiased overlook of the quality of your sound design. But do follow my rules.

1. Needs to be a full episode. I consider a full episode over 4 minutes. Anything less is just not enough for me to get a full analysis.

2. Please refrain from posting work that I had to do with SFX. If I was your SFX editor, do not post it here because I don't wanna see the joke post. I wanna give a full real critique based off of your work. Not mine.

My Legend begins and ends with "Fuck You!"
Demo - Stuff I Was In - Main Channel - Fate Channel - New Website
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2015, 10:00 AM
RE: Yaro Critiques Your Sound

I was pretty happy with my sound work on this. That said, I'm aware that the episode as a whole is too quiet. Not that you can't criticize that (please criticize everything), just saying I know.

Help me improve, fine sir Yaro!

YouTube: House at a Party
[Image: 1EtyqgH]
05-25-2015, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 05:49 PM by Yaro Shien.)
Code Geass: Abridging The Rebellion - Episode 1

One of two things really bothered me.
First and foremost, dem guns sounds. It felt like every gun sound was too poor in its place. More often you see certain guns have certain traits and form. A big handgun will most likely have the sound of a .44 magnum caliber, and that is as big as it gets(besides the .500, but I won't get into that). The sounds from the turret on the flyer needed to be bigger and closer, something of a mini-gun or a mix of .50 caliber that followed each flash, and the guns at the end all look to have been military standard, a singe sound for the captains gun would have sufficed and another single sound only layered over each other by listening to the original mix and following closely to it would have worked for the rest of them. The part where Villetta was shooting the truck was good, but lower the levels, Its gotta have the feeling from where she stood is a good ways from the (I call it the animated camera). A up close gun is not quiet, a distanced gun is just as loud, but has less oomph. Knowing the difference of the two can improve your mix.

Second, the robots. Ohhhhh, the robots. The reason why this is the lower end of my chain because I can see you really fucking tried. Machine sounds are the most hardest to come by sometimes. And its never easy to mix for giant fucking robots. Just look at Quiz Guru's Gurren Lagann Encore , the fact that I managed to escape with half the shit I did was because I had metal sounds. Metal sounds that work and a lot of EQing. Buts its still no excuse for the sword sound, the use of the Same Fucking Explosion Sound!(One of my peeves) and a dinks, ohh those fucking dinks! Think of it like this, have you ever heard metal cutting into metal go "Dink"! No, that's little metal bouncing off of big metal. Nothing bounced, it penetrated, deep. It killed a guy (witch it would have been perfect for someone to scream death over the radio, just a suggestion). So yes, I suggest looking into bigger sounds for your metal friends. Oh yeah, an obligatory Jack Black "METAL!" for you.~

Now the smaller bits.

Clothing sounds - While subtle in mostly everywhere (in which characters make movement that are not too heavy) the part where Lelouch falls into the truck and when Suzaku come flying at him, needed that kind of heavy folly. And also when C2 gets shot, same kind of heavy folly but I will get into that-

Falling, Hits, Wooshs - Now! Lelouch falls into the truck, the sound of a bigger hit and a whoosh could have made more of an impact, giving a illusion that he played off something that could have been much more harmful. Like you know when you fall and you can kinda hear the air pushing aside, that's what you use a whoosh for.
The lack of that was apparent when Suzaku came flying at Lelouch, given that Suzaku is a fast fellow, and he is, slight whoosh and swish and a mix if grips when he grabs Lelouch's collar could have made it more threatening, giving a sense of danger. I do recognize that there are places that if they are out of sight, they are out of mind, but with sound, if you get shoved off the imaginary animated camera nearby, you best have some kind of folly of getting tackled to the ground. Witch with C2 in the matter, is also necessary after getting shot (just lower the levels add a delay).

Environments - Overall, you did an okay job. Some parts you forgot to add in a sub explosion sound when shit goes down. But the sound of heavy artillery in the background as ambiance could have made more sense because it's a battleground, not a cake walk. The city was good, I like it.

Footsteps - Oh how we dread dem footsteps. I'm not gonna get on you on this, just remember that the folly of each surface and apply the imaginary animated camera rule of, if you cant see it, its still there. And don't use the same one sound each time, its just sloppy and samey.

Vehicles - No real complaints. So that's good.

Vocal Effects - You kinda have to apply the environment rule, if you sound like you are surrounded by a big open space while enclosed, reverbs. Just make sure the dry gain is more than the wet gain and lower the levels as necessary. The big hall that Leloush and Rivell is needed that effect and also where the captain and Leloush were at as well. The part where Clovis is talking on the TV was really good as per effect, but when you have a giant TV that is all around the city needs to sound a bit delayed, NOT ECHOED!(The fact that you didn't do that makes me proud of you) That's for inner thoughts. More or less, I am okay with what you did.

So overall grade of this work.
C
You gave it the best you could but there are parts that are lacking, that's why its not a C+. But you are not getting a C- because you took a lot into account for your first episode. Most first time abridgers tend to have a very hard time or bad first episode (I am no exception) but I did like the quality of the effort and design. My expectations are gonna be high for your next episode. If there is anything that you feel like you need more of an explanation or need a specific sound, you can always come to me and I will help the best I can.

(Oh Wilhelm, what the fuck are you doing here you mischievous scamp)

[+] 1 user Likes Yaro Shien's post
05-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Quick yes or no.

Does the music here sound like it's coming from a TV with the sound capabilities such a tv would have?

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
05-25-2015, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 06:04 PM by Yaro Shien.)
(05-25-2015 06:01 PM)SoDA Wrote:  Quick yes or no.

Does the music here sound like it's coming from a TV with the sound capabilities such a tv would have?

Yes? Needs a little more high pass. But I am extremely happy you panned that shit.

I'm not gonna grade you on this cause it looks like some extra credit you did. So overall it was a pass. You get points for that at least.

05-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Try this on for size

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
05-25-2015, 11:56 PM
(05-25-2015 08:39 PM)TheHawk Wrote:  Try this on for size

This gets an
A+

Its very well mixed. You snide fucker. (Love you Hawk.)

05-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Please hold back. My heart can't take much

(05-10-2014 09:24 AM)Cornstomper Wrote:  I mean, I can't be the only one jizzing myself.
05-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Hey YaroShien. I respect your work a ton. I've been trying to work on sound design and foley for my own series. I'd really appreciate it if you could critique the sound in an episode I made. Thank you.

I have just added to your conversation.
[Image: ajdodwp.gif]

05-31-2015, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 04:25 AM by SoDA.)
(05-25-2015 06:04 PM)Yaro Shien Wrote:  Yes? Needs a little more high pass.

Perhaps, but it's probably not a bassless set of speakers in that tv. Some hardcore djent is being played very loudly, and you'll still hear the bass, and you shouldn't really abuse a high pass. If it's even necessary to filter it at all, it'd be not even fully wet band pass. A tv like that at least tries to have internal speakers that can stand to emulate all of the sound an entertainment center would. So high pass would force out most of what could actually be there.

There's two tracks made for the tv, one out of high end, another out of mostly low end, and each of them behave differently with there environmental acoustics. I made the second low end track, when I went high heavy on the first, and I realized there was really a lack of bass, considering the speakers.

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
05-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Hunter X Dumber Episode 3

To be honest, considering the simplicity of the episode, It makes sense that there is not too much that I dislike about it.

Clothing: While some parts are a bit lacking, you could have use a little bit more folly in many situations. The Mommy's Boy scene for example. The mother has a large frilly dress, and subtle movement could have made some little amount of sound, although, I will recolonize that it is a family of assassins and the goal is to be silents in all ways, I will not neglect the "everything has sound" laws.

Footsepts: Not bad. I like how you were somewhat particular, but there wasn't enough of them to make too big an impact on my judgement.

Hits & Whooshes: Im not too fond of Canary's cane sound, there needed to be two different wooshs and the dirt sound was too silent, it needed to sound closer considering you used the up close shot. All the while when you had her hitting Gon, you needed to lower the levels generously and add a volume automation as it was panning away from the two. Giving a sense of distance.

Environments: You did a good job. You should have added a forest background sound during the Canary scene and a little bit of fire ambiance during the dungeon scene, with that in mind, be aware of the surroundings.

Vocal effects: The dungeon scenes were prefect and the part with Killua and Silva the same follows suit. I once again refer back to the Canary and Gon scene outside, they are talking with a raised voice, add a little bit of delay, not too much cause the forest will disperse it (technically speaking). And the part with Gon and Gohto, you needed more high pass when the scene is on Gon while Ghoto is talking and vice versa. That doesn't mean to lower the levels, but just be particular about it. Lastly, personal suggestion and its not for eveything, but when you are in a enclosed room that tends to be quiet, add a tinsey wincey bit of reverb, gives the room more of realistic sound and design.

I give this video a grade of

B+

Here's why, its a product that has set a basic standard of making it go through the motions. Its lacking a lot of particulars that could give it a more filled mix. But, it is because of its simplicity it gets its high grade. I suggest to you that you need more clothing sounds and to level your hits+whoosh sounds. Experiment with more automatons and effects for your vocal effects and overall sound mix.

Hopefully, this was able to help, if you need me, come and ask when ever you want.

06-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Darker Than Black Abridged Parody Episode 4

I have a rough time watching this, let alone hearing it. I honestly wanted to stop. You see, to give definition by contrast, this is not your first episode and its around 15 minutes long. Meaning you cut a lot of time by just throwing in clips and not doing the flaps and the sound design was poor as an overall point. I do not wish be offending, but my full and honest critique is gonna be very strong.

First and foremost, I did not like any of the leveling at all, either something was loud or something was too damn quiet. You need to remember, the animated camera is based on your perception. Imagine of you were standing down an ally way watching someone walking and cars were passing. I know you would not hear that person walking. You might as well not put the sound of foot steps in to begin with. The simplicity of the rule is kinda something that you need to practice. But when you don't level anything or level something too much, its hard to know what is wrong. Listen to the original mix its gonna be your major teacher and also something that can tell you to do something on your own to give it flair.

Another thing that bothers me, is the lack of a multitude of tracks. I'm gonna estimate that you used maybe 3-5 tracks for your sound effects. I don't wanna compare, but listen to my RWBY Project, the mix overall is 17 tracks for sound effects, its to give you full control and a diverse sound for each individual sound. In not saying that everyone should do it, but when there is a lot of combat and and other specific details in a show like this, you kinda have to put in as much effort as possible. And then some.

Oh Wilhelm. Why are you here?

Clothing: There is something missing here. Like..... everywhere. Should really work on that.

Hits, Whoosh: Most of the time it's not there. Or its just not Diverse enough.

Environment: Needs to be a little louder. At least you tried but it was a bit lacking. I doesn't need to be loud, but when I have to turn up my speakers to hear it, it becomes a little bit of an issue. But good job.

Vocal Effects: This I was quite impressed with, reverbs for an enclosed area, and delays for an open outside area. Just remember, use a little more dry gain for your reverbs and less wet gain. You don't want it to sound as if it is droning on.

I give this video a
D-

Overall, this sound mix was lacking a lot. I could say that it would have been saved if there was less dialog and more diversity. There is not much to really get into it considering that there in nothing to really say more about than, add more sounds where they are needed, Use more tracks, Level, and so on. Also this is your 4th video, and to be honest, it look poorly produced, editorially. And has a ball room of space for improvement. Take some time to do some muti-track sound editing (At least 10) to give each individual sound something special. Do a battle scene in this series and listen to the original mix very often.

06-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Now I know you say in your thread your critiquing on sound but if the picture performance bothers you to that point where you wanna strangle me that's ok too. I'm looking to improve so I can take that heat. I used to make parodies with a cellphone so you can guess how bad that sound was lol.

My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dgZgo...ibTvLcmiVg
12-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Okay So I'm gonna bring this back for the sake of sakes. But Im gonna be adding a couple of rules.

1. Needs to be a full episode. I consider a full episode over 4 minutes. Anything before is just not enough for me to get a full analysis.

2. Please refrain from posting work that I had to do with SFX. If I was your SFX editor, do not post it here because I don't wanna see the joke post. I wanna give a full real critique based off of your work. Not mine.

04-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Greetings! So I'm making the first proper abridged parody in Hebrew and I do think my sound skills are the weakest so I'm really interested to hear what you have to say.
(Not a full episode, but it's over four minutes so I hope I'm not breaking the rules >_>)

Find all posts by this user
06-16-2016, 11:25 PM
Help me.

06-21-2016, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2016 07:59 PM by Yaro Shien.)

Okay so this is gonna be my overall for most retro anime series as I tend to lean more towards "don't over produce" but I beat a dead horse if I argued it. But when I look at an older series I tend to fall in the expectation of the old SFX that were used back in the day. And for something like this, I was kinda hoping that hear that retro sound but with a modern mixing style. And quite honestly I was happy to hear that. Somewhere between the late 80's to late 90's when hand drawn animation was becoming obsolete, this real turn of the century like mentality brought forth the modern mixing era with digital based animation. Ultimately, what I'm getting down to is what I saw is what I wanted and going into detail of how and why is me filling space.

Clothing: From what I can gather, the clothing and other folly that I got was relatively simple. Nothing too big for flashy, but there when its needed. Especially because of the age of the show, and what it was for, the sounds that you would get would be very prominent or non existent. Overall, for what I saw and heard, the folly I got was done proper and I cannot be happier.

Falling, Hits, Wooshs: Dem retro sounds man. Fuck. In reality, you took your time and did these sounds proper. And its hard to criticize because its like I said. Its older, but with a modern mixing style. Like, if I was critiquing you Bakubridged, I would be far more extensive in words. But this is something along the lines of say 4-5 tracks at the most used in this video. The real quality of the sound is as relevant to the show itself and I enjoy that amount of immersion and attention to detail.

Environments: So, yeah. Sgood. From the crowds to the chains in the area. Although, I don;t know if you may have missed it or I am not hearing it, but the waterfall between 4:17 - 4:52 and again at 7:30 - 8:02 is almost non existent. Being that close to rushing water tends to have this roaring sound, as a suggestion, you could of had them talk loudly during direction and added a waterfall sound that was pretty loud. But either way, I'm okay the way the scenes went. (Boop you dead was the best part for me BTW)

Vehicles - You had like, 1 car. I think we're good.

Vocal Effects - Not everything needs a vocal effect to be honest. But where they are, are funny and used proper to say the least. I don't I had too many complaints because every time I look back, its was just done good from a perspective of the show style.

So overall grade of this work.
A

Now I know what you're thinking. "Why not an A+ you fuck!?" Now hold on. The thing is because I have been saying it this entire time. Its simplified mixing. This is a real simple mix, and when I look at something that would be A+ material its gonna be 13-20 tracks, filled with necessity and enhancers and Easter eggs. And like I said, none of this is bad, its all really good. But when it comes down to it, I value a dozen well mixed tracks verses a few well mixed tracks. Savvy? But yeah, good job, and I look forward to more stuff from you.

06-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Alright, I finished the entire episode! again, it's in Hebrew, but we're here to critique sound. Tell me what you think, Yaro sensei Big Grin

07-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Would you please critique the sound of my TIBA entry? It was the first video to work on for all of my group members, so I would like to know how to improve.
09-17-2016, 08:08 PM
I know it's been a while since you last responded to this thread, but audio is the aspect of abridging that I feel I'm struggling with the most (both when it comes to music placement, and overall leveling). If you ever get the chance, I'd love to get a critique and some tips on the whole thing from someone who knows what they're doing.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)