New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Abridging "Dead"?
08-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Is Abridging "Dead"?
Before I begin, let's clarify. No, I'm not trying to create an unnecessary controversy with that ridiculous question. Let me explain.

Recently, Matt had left the abridging community, if there was ever one. His reasoning was simple. He wasn't interested in abridging any more or even watching any sort of parody series. And now, Truthordeal is gone for more or less the same reasons. He was the guy who would give his 5000 word reviews on episodes made by newbies so that they could get better. He no longer has the energy and isn't interested at that any more. And me? I was never too active in the forum, but I'd still regularly read everything like a ghost and watch everything that was posted in the talkback thread. But that has stopped. I will admit. Right now, I come here, quickly go over everything to ensure there's no spam, and then leave. I have absolutely no idea who the new "really good" abridgers are. I am certain there are a lot, but unfortunately, I can only name you the really popular ones like TFS and LK. When I started out as a Jr. Mod, I was legitimately excited and wanted to do so much for the forum. I still want to do a lot, but from the way things are going, I fail to see what could be done to bring people's motivations up, including my own.

I understand that I can't judge the whole community based on the lack of interest of only few people. There may very well be tons of people who are still excited about making new episodes, and discussing abridged series in general. Please excuse me and correct me if that's the case. But unfortunately, I am only seeing the "dead" side of the community. It seems to me like not many new people are excited about starting an abridged series. Question is, why is this happening? Surely, parody series are getting funnier by the day. Our expectations get higher. Few days ago, I was going through my old favourited videos on YouTube and found few old parody episodes. I remember laughing at them and favouriting them, but they're not considered good any more. Even my expectations are unwillingly much higher now. Is the deadness of the community, perhaps, a direct effect of that? Maybe because back in 2010, it was quite easy to get the "Oh you're pretty good" type of comment, but not so much right now. People expect a lot more, all in terms of comedy, acting, audio/video quality, etc. If even the slightest thing is lacking, or if we notice any flaw while watching, we simply lose our interests and don't bother watching the rest. Is this why more and more people are starting to give up, or simply never start abridging to begin with? I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud. For me personally, the lack of interest isn't just for abridging, but for YouTube videos in general. Back in the days, I didn't let even 5 unseen videos get stored in my Subscription tab, but right now, there are 99+ videos in that tab.

With that, one more question comes to my mind. What is this site for? Why do you use this site? It seems like most of the people that are active in this site specialize in critiquing parodies. Many forum users here are very good at giving their in-depth reviews that truly are helpful. They are supposed to be helpful. On the other hand, the people that actively make parody episodes, aren't too active in the forum. Again, I could be wrong here, but I've noticed that when a certain episode is posted in the talkback thread, we all start talking about it, but the original creator of the content is nowhere around. If that's the case, then what's the point of those reviews? Who are we writing those critiques for? Yes, everyone can benefit from reading critiques that are intended for other people. We can learn a lot from the mistakes people usually make. But how many active forum users regularly do make abridged series? If many do, then it's completely understandable. But if we are all good at reviewing stuff only (for most part), then who are we doing all these for? Who's benefiting from any of these?

Is abridging dead?

I refuse to be constantly bullied by Truthordeal just because I'm a "Junior" Mod.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: Is Abridging "Dead"?
Abridging is not dead, it just smells funny.

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
[+] 2 users Like SoDA's post
08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't say the community is dead. It's a hobby for most of us and people move on. That's just how things are. People's lives go in directions where they no longer have time for something that is as demanding as this or its just a simple matter of their tastes and interests changing.

I continue doing this because I enjoy the creative aspects of it. I like making things. Plain and simple.

I know I won't be doing this forever, none of us will. It's just a hobby that I really love doing and strive to be the best I can be at.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
To be honest, I only come here for pretty much all the non-abridged threads nowadays.
And the whole abridging scene itself I've pretty much disconnected from. I only really still watch like LK, TFS, PurpleEyes, ert certa.
But I tell myself that I'll get back to working on my own series once I finished up with other prioritized videos, but I mean I don't know.

[Image: 064oLU8.gif][Image: ZvCxvJM.gif]
Find this shit on YouTube: Exactly what it says on the tin (Cornstomper).
Check out my comedy band!
Find all posts by this user
08-16-2015, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2015 06:56 PM by zombieload.)
Based off what I seen around 2011-2013 this place was poppin and live as fuck. But recently everybody just left and now very few from the past and newcomers try to keep it alive. On the forums at least.

My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dgZgo...ibTvLcmiVg
08-16-2015, 06:39 PM
The Sagas Council wasn't wrong, they were just before their time.
[+] 2 users Like Rebbie's post
08-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Crit is easy; creation is hard. That's certainly true for me, and why I've more posts to debate than I do content.

Solution? Keep making content and get friends involved, and not just the regulars on this site. Add a nobody to your crew. Introduce fresh blood. Just ask someone completely out of the scene if they want to voice a character. The absolute worst that could happen is them refusing.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
"Abridging" isn't dead, but I will say it has changed. There are still a ton of projects popping up on the VA sites I frequent. We don't have the same mad rush to make the X series, but in the same vein we have more groups sticking with a series for more than one episode and taking more time to produce higher quality content (casting multiple VAs, directing, using higher quality footage, fancy editing). I'd say it has matured.

The bigger issue we have is that the content creators just don't participate on this particular forum. There are more people making content than ever AND there are new parody types, like shorts and vines to add to the pile, but most of them originate from places outside of AF...and stay there.

[+] 1 user Likes codeblackhayate's post
08-16-2015, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 08:34 PM by SoDA.)
gadamn Truthordeal lurking the forums like, "I'm not a mod... I'm not a mod... It's not my problem... Resist... RESIST!"

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
08-16-2015, 11:42 PM
As someone who's co-scripted, voice acted and done things for about 6 years in this realm of the interwebs, I can't honestly say that abridging isn't "dead" per say. But it rather goes through creative peaks and valleys much like any other hobby / content creation portion on the internet. Some of which are meet with big spikes with allot of talent. Sometimes with years of shit and mediocrity. When are those years? Well that's for allot of deciding factors to show. Abridging is more a gimmicky name to give parody videos. And many times, parody (at-least on the internet) has proven to thrive most often. Things like Red VS Blue, Dorkly Bits videos, and just about any creative content creators come out parodying something in their own certain way. Again, the quality differs depending on things like viewer appeal, the actual content being put out and how it's received, etc.

That being said, allot of people and those within this area change. Some groups will be filled with more who take it seriously and want to get better. Others just "do it for fun." And others who are a bit of column a and a bit of column b. And with each passing year, that number grows. It's like any other area of the internet. It changes and goes through it's own spurts.

I dunno. I'm totally sleepy.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
08-17-2015, 12:19 AM
This isn't really a question of abridging being dead but one about the abridging community being dead. Or if not dead then highly fragmented. Clearly there are still a lot of people abridging, both new and old. And the standards of quality are much higher than they were years ago. The only thing that is dipping is the community, as a lot of the former popular abridgers have either slowed way down or stopped entirely.

Now if you look at it from this angle, you can ask the question "Why is the abridging community weakened?" and to that there are a number of answers. In regards to this forum, and to previous forum hubs of abridging, it has to be said that a significant number of abridgers have had a hard time breaking into the community and/or they have avoided places like this due to negative reactions to ideas or styles that don't fit the "accepted mold" by a lot of posters. This was true in the old talkback thread on toonzone, it was especially true on the Box of Danger forums and it has also been true here on AF.

If you look at the history of AF you see a trend that shows what I mean. I've been abridging for over 6 years and I've had my AF account since the first day it came up, and in that time I've been paying at least off-hand attention to the community and what's going on. Early on there was the initial influx of abridgers, of all types. In the first several months there were even some bigger names at least somewhat active on these forums. But the critic-oriented nature of these forums, and the obvious bias by many people towards their friends and tendency towards rejection of unknowns turned a lot of them away.

So my point is the reason the community, and this site as an extension of that, is experiencing a low is in my opinion due to the failure to bring everyone together and keep them together. This forum has always favored those who are critical of videos and those who conform to the collective style that a lot of the core members prefer.

I don't think a abridging forum will encompass the majority of the people making these videos unless it's actually appealing and welcoming to more of these people. These are just some of my thoughts on the matter anyway.

[YouTube channel|Role Playlist|Anime|Twitter]
[+] 6 users Like Mandos's post
08-17-2015, 04:04 AM
Abridging is thriving! It's just that this forum is not.

My YouTube
The Devil is a Part Timer Abridged

[Image: 2i0rcr8.gif]
[+] 11 users Like Alifluro's post
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM
(08-16-2015 11:50 AM)ArkaKun Wrote:  I have absolutely no idea who the new "really good" abridgers are.

Clearly me. That is, assuming I can still be considered "new" after about five years in this game.

(08-16-2015 01:57 PM)TheHawk Wrote:  I know I won't be doing this forever, none of us will.

You speak for yourself, sir.

(08-16-2015 07:43 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  The bigger issue we have is that the content creators just don't participate on this particular forum.

Well now, I guess I COULD start making lots and lots of edifying and thought-provoking posts again, if you REALLY want me to. I'm just generous like that.

YOUR ALL DICKS
08-19-2015, 07:02 AM
If I can add my thoughts into this, I do believe that no, Abridging isn't "dead". It has changed quite a lot. BUT the issue here is that the forums activity is stagnating.

Five years ago (When I joined, that is), the activity on this site was quite high. A lot of people contributed to the talkback thread and many other places. But over time, people did break away from the site. Where it be life getting in the way or just plain loss of interest. The people that joined this forums do indeed see this as a hobby, but they also strived for improvement in this field. But due to this "negativity" that people see in this site, not a lot of new members join this site (That's what I believe, don't take my word for it). So with old members who contributed the most leaving (Like Matt and Truth for example) we have the issue of more people leaving than joining. And with that, activity is low. Hell, I used to contribute quite a bit. But alas, I'm a mere wanderer of the forums now (Even though I'm here more frequently than ever).

Now don't get me wrong! We DO have new members joining, but it's either that they don't stick around, they just use this site as a means to garner attention to their series or just post up an auditions thread and not contribute to the discussions. However, I do see quite a few that have joined over the past 5 years and surprisingly stayed and still contribute even now.

So to sum it up, no. Abridging isn't dead. It has indeed matured since 2010 where everyone and their grandma with a webcam microphone wanted to make an "abridge show". But the forums is slow with activity.

[Image: NINExTAILEDxDEE.png]
I do D.Gray-Man and Blazblue: Slice of Life

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEEsidia97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DEEsidia
08-19-2015, 09:42 PM
2011-2013 had a big influence of people come on to AF. It was a diverse group of people from many different backgrounds. Everyone discussed varying opinions in great detail. I always thought of it as great fun watching people getting into heated debates. But the same few people would keep knocking heads over and over until one of them gave up on the other. Leaving AF to not have to deal with people they could not stand. The people who got along stuck together and formed skype chats. No longer needing AF to talk to one another.

I feel like AF has been dead for about a year maybe a bit more. Airrest leaving the site was certainly a huge blow. The founder of a site leaving almost means certain death and for a time it almost was until Truth stepped up for awhile. ModX you're our only hope.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
08-19-2015, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 10:12 PM by Truthordeal.)
(08-17-2015 04:04 AM)Alifluro Wrote:  Abridging is thriving! It's just that this forum is not.

This is 100% the correct answer. The "community" is fine, if a bit exclusive to newbies. AF may not be the happenin' place to be anymore, but people are still milling around and making stuff.

The problem is that what the community is producing is the same torpid, mediocre garbage that it always has. I'd like to think that our standards have improved, but really only our standards for production have, which excludes a lot of potentially talented newbies who don't really understand that stuff right off the bat. I'd like to have seen all of the new "high quality" series that Code mentioned, because if I had I doubt I'd have been in nearly as much of a hurry to leave. This is nothing new, by the way; back during the "Box of Danger era," shit like this was considered "good." Note all of the comments praising it, several of whom would have liked anything this person put out because they were friends of hers.

Abridging has matured, I guess. But with that maturation a lot of it has stagnated. It's very easy to slap a "great" sticker on a parody with proper lipflaps and mic work but boring everything else. I don't think I've seen a lot that's terribly offensive, but nothing's really exceptional either. It all blends together, and nothing stands out. Production's usually the last thing wrong with a video.

But, you know, the real issue in all of this is that we've had this discussion before. In fact, I brought up this exact same point a year ago today. What came of that discussion, you may ask? Apparently nothing, because we're still having it. And the sad thing is? Nobody disagreed with me. Everyone who posted in that chain of thought agreed that we needed to do better in writing; that we were too lenient and we needed to push each other harder. But again, what came of all of that?

Not a goddamned thing. Y'all are still spinning your wheels and putting out the same 3/5 crap when you have the potential to do so much more, if only you would learn from the hundreds of past conversations we've had on here about this very same topic. Abridging isn't "dead," abridging is just really goddamn complacent. It always has been and probably will be forever. That's why so many people who want to do better aren't here.

To the people who will naturally respond with "I just do this for fun/hobby and don't think of improving" or whatever, this isn't directed at you. You're doing shit and you're happy, and I'm happy for you. Keep having fun for as long as you can. No, this is directed at the same people who, in that thread above, said "yeah, let's do better" and are still cluelessly meandering around here not achieving their potential and wondering why people have lost interest. It's a circular trap and it's never gonna end unless you do something.

And for the folks around here bemoaning the fact that AbridgedForums' heyday has passed, the next heyday could be here tomorrow if you so chose. The only difference between now and then is that back then we were pushing each other constantly and not afraid to get critical.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
09-21-2015, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 11:01 PM by Stephan.)
I'm just popping in to say the reason I stopped participating in this forum, besides my rapidly-dwindling time, is that I stopped finding discussions here interesting. It devolved into repetitive arguments ad nauseam, going in a circle while many people completely discounted the few bits of real genuine constructive critique they got.

And, more personally, I stopped getting critique I could make use of. I LOVE getting good, well-thought-out constructive critique, but that stopped happening. It was kinda either "I liked" or "I didn't like it", which are two statements that don't provide much to go on in terms of improvement.

Which is a shame, because this forum is a MAJOR factor in my growth as not only an abridger, but a content creator in general, because people were willing to expand upon what they felt didn't work about what I did and I in turn could find ways to improve upon my work. But once the people and the kinds of responses that helped me grow stopped showing up here, I had no reason to come back.

[+] 3 users Like Stephan's post
09-22-2015, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 03:13 AM by Yaro Shien.)
But its also clear that AF is not doing anything anymore. Why, because someone is saying no to good ideas. Back in the good ol days, we were doing things like AF challenges and AF live. Those things are non existent now. This has some partition of blame to both the forum goers and Admin.

To be honest, it would save some time, space and money to just shut down the site. As far as anything goes, nothing is happening here anymore. And its not just the content, its the people, its the admins, its the forum goers, its the bitching and complaining, its people who don't know how to use the auditions thread, its people who ruin it for others and make nonsensical remarks. Its the same bullshit that has been happening for nearly a fucking year!

Its a fucking shame that we waste something that is so good, but don't wanna do anything with it.
Its a fucking shame that there is no more pushing the envelope! Trading in our balls to do whats safe!
Its a fucking shame that after nearly 4 years, its still a problem to swallow the "Go to the Abridgied Forums newbie, you can learn somethings there" pill.

Back when I came here, I knew shit nothing! Editing, SFX, Writing! But yet, I still learned. I still grew. I am doing more that I ever could have though of. And to some of that success go to here! But yet, only 1 or 2 of my videos ever make it to the main conversation thread! How the fuck am I even to acknowledge if my videos are good if I don't get a good complaint every now and again. This is why it is stagnated, why it is never doing anything. Because the videos that we acknowledge is never exactly new. Its developed! Its how a series is supposed to be!

A simple search will show some really good talent and some pretty good videos. Sith50, one of my favorite voice actors and abridger, made a deceiving video that looked like a Dan Machi series but was completely different. Never see much of Alison's Narugami abridged in the main, PalletTownChampions, Hawk, DEEsidia97, some of FoulFangedFiend! The fact of the matter is, we are just going around and doing what we think is popular like bitching about the new TFS episode like a bunch of high school cheerleaders.

And its like I said, we can start by telling the admin (Code as far as I know) that we want certain shit like the AF challenges and AF live back! Start promoting, and stop bitching! I already extended my hand on helping, but am met with silence and bureaucracy. I don't know why? But I'm pretty sure the reason is kinda dumb.

It may not look like it, but I am on the forums everyday. I don't say much, I try and stay positive, and open minded. But having to read the posts I have as of late, really kicks a nerve. Because what I see, is something I love burn itself to ashes.

So while abridging is not dead, I can assure you all. What we have here is a good waste of fucking potential.

My Legend begins and ends with "Fuck You!"
Demo - Stuff I Was In - Main Channel - Fate Channel - New Website
[+] 2 users Like Yaro Shien's post
09-22-2015, 06:58 AM
I started abridging just about a year ago to the day, and joined the forum a few months ago. I saw the last two AF Lives, and have heard of some of the old challenges and seen a few entries. I'd love for the challenges to come back! It seriously seems like it would be a lot of fun if everyone were to parody the same type of shows, or try to work a specific type of character into the story.

As far as "is abridging dead?" I agree with Ali 100%, it's not that the community is dead, but this site is dead. Which really sucks, cause despite all the bitching, I think it's a great way to speak your mind and to (hopefully) have a civil conversation with other content creators.

We should all (those who aren't admins included) make an effort to promote the site and get Live and challenges going again.

[Image: tumblr_nlc3r2zWio1u2ad96o1_400.gif]
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJrclIioGb1qm3Ffli_plw
[+] 1 user Likes Charleston's post
09-22-2015, 09:35 AM
What can we do as users to get the ball rolling for Live or the Challenges? Surely there's more we're able to contribute than pestering admins.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)