New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Abridging "Dead"?
09-22-2015, 10:08 AM
RE: Is Abridging "Dead"?
As far as Live goes, I know the hosts were Mattroks101 and eagle8burger. Matt unfortunately left the site, so they would probably need a new host. Not sure if eagle would jump into the role that Matt had which seemed like the main host. Regardless, I think it would make sense for someone to join eagle for Live. Then it would probably just be a matter of getting the few of us who are active on the site into the idea of it again. Plus getting some big name abridgers as guests for a reboot of Live would help for sure.

As far as challenges, I'm sure if a thread was created or enough of us continued the challenge thread (which I don't think has had a new post since 2013 or so), it should be enough to get some interest in it. Especially if some of us make videos about it and getting more people to join the forum and make an entry for a challenge. It would make the most sense for those who would be judging/picking the winner to make videos promoting it though.

[Image: tumblr_nlc3r2zWio1u2ad96o1_400.gif]
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJrclIioGb1qm3Ffli_plw
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2015, 03:34 PM
If this site is to flourish again it needs active participation from people who know (and care) what they're talking about. Which is hard to come by these days since most who could fill those shoes have "retired" from the scene or have already given up on this forum.

As much as it is cool to bag on AF as of late (even more so than usual) I still like this place. It's brought too much good content forward to the public eye. It's a place that really help the common abridger out and many others too. Some people see this site as a hell hole but I've always seen it in a brighter light. I'm going to try and participate more going forward. That's all most of us can really do to help the site not wither away.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2015, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 05:16 PM by DEEsidia97.)
TwooGiz is hella right. I doubt anyone really wants to see AF go away. As negative as people think it is, it still helps people who actually want to improve. I'm sure the mods are on the same wavelengths as us and are thinking of ways to improve activity on the forums also. All we can do on our end is help contribute to discussion for now. It would be a shame for it to die.

[Image: NINExTAILEDxDEE.png]
I do D.Gray-Man and Blazblue: Slice of Life

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEEsidia97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DEEsidia
09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
What I was really saying was, if we are not doing anything, why keep it around? So yes, like I said, voice your wants to the powers that be!

My Legend begins and ends with "Fuck You!"
Demo - Stuff I Was In - Main Channel - Fate Channel - New Website
09-22-2015, 06:16 PM
I've been told multiple times, the Abridged Forums is great for Journeymen, people who already have an idea how to do stuff but haven't perfected the craft in their own way.

It's not good for Veterans because by the time you've already been doing it for a year or two, you've already made enough friends who know as much or more than you and can give you better Critique than you'll ever get on here. Infact if you look at what was said about the latest TFS episode you'll still find "I really liked Vegeta this episode" which is worst than "Where are the jokes?" So what's the point in Veterans sticking around to contribute anything?

And it's not good for newbies because 9 out the 10 newbies get scared away by the harsh criticism or they just drop an audition thread, get told they should fix their audition thread and end up sticking around to be annoying and not contributing anything.

and in response to Yaroshien's post
Quote:Its a fucking shame that there is no more pushing the envelope! Trading in our balls to do whats safe!

When has anyone ever pushed the envelope and done what isn't safe? I'm actually very curious because I've never found this ever. Or do you mean like when Abridgers make funny edgy videos about other Abridgers?

[Image: nn870k.gif]
Get at me on Skype: Bohemian.bear
09-22-2015, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 09:38 PM by Yaro Shien.)
(09-22-2015 06:16 PM)Bohbear Wrote:  I've been told multiple times, the Abridged Forums is great for Journeymen, people who already have an idea how to do stuff but haven't perfected the craft in their own way.

It's not good for Veterans because by the time you've already been doing it for a year or two, you've already made enough friends who know as much or more than you and can give you better Critique than you'll ever get on here. Infact if you look at what was said about the latest TFS episode you'll still find "I really liked Vegeta this episode" which is worst than "Where are the jokes?" So what's the point in Veterans sticking around to contribute anything?

And it's not good for newbies because 9 out the 10 newbies get scared away by the harsh criticism or they just drop an audition thread, get told they should fix their audition thread and end up sticking around to be annoying and not contributing anything.

and in response to Yaroshien's post
Quote:Its a fucking shame that there is no more pushing the envelope! Trading in our balls to do whats safe!

When has anyone ever pushed the envelope and done what isn't safe? I'm actually very curious because I've never found this ever. Or do you mean like when Abridgers make funny edgy videos about other Abridgers?

Remember when Fate did the butt fuck scene. Not exactly preferred, but what I mean is, taking a new risk with a project. Do something a little more than the last. Or trying something that isn't too over the top and perfecting your dialogue in your next episode. Something that isn't a processed episode. Know what I mean, man?

And yes its like I said, Sending a Newbie here is kinda a dangerous path for them, because the forums can be a bit discouraging. That's why I am pushing to get AF Live and Challenges back. So that they can try something new all the time. Also getting a perspective of how a Veteran works.

09-22-2015, 11:20 PM
When I read your post first I thought "Holy fuck, this guy is seriously suggesting more rape jokes."

but then I realized that what you really mean is people are writing jokes for viewers who are anime fans and not for viewers in general - if the problem you see is that people aren't getting better and are churning out videos like a factory, you should stop watching the fifty different Fairy Tail Abridged series out there and look for the stuff that's different because I can garuntee that people ARE doing that, but they aren't the vocal majority on twitter.

They might even be people who don't like your stuff! The content is out there.

[+] 1 user Likes Bohbear's post
09-22-2015, 11:55 PM
I think it all starts with keeping the main thread going. The recent spike has been great, but I do think we need to broaden our horizons somewhat. The more I've got into this community, the less I've posted simply because I'm in more stuff and I want to - and will continue to - abide by forum rules.

I also think that I, as a mod, need to start digging more into the anals of YouTube. I remember finding Charleston's first Death Note on a complete whim and being so elated to find a quality show lurking in the underbelly of YouTube. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but the more I've got into abridging, the more pessimistic I've become about new talent. I find myself going for old-reliable rather than delving into the great abridged yonder. As much as reinvigorating the current community, I think it's also important we attempt to expand our horizons to keep this community invigorated.

Heart ~ I'LL PLAY MYSELF OUT ~ Heart
[Image: Xul_Se.gif]

Editor, Writer, VA
Darker than Black - Hyperabridged
My VA Channel (Sokka Shorts/RANGER DOOWOP)
09-23-2015, 12:24 AM
(09-22-2015 11:20 PM)Bohbear Wrote:  When I read your post first I thought "Holy fuck, this guy is seriously suggesting more rape jokes."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHA! I don't know why people keep thinking its rape. I mean, it's pretty cut and dry if you look at it hard enough.

Quote: the fifty different Fairy Tail Abridged series out there
I am somewhat guilty of that.

Quote:They might even be people who don't like your stuff! The content is out there.
I like you. We should talk more.

09-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Just don't act like a spurgmeister and I would be down to chat.

09-23-2015, 12:27 AM
(09-23-2015 12:26 AM)Bohbear Wrote:  Just don't act like a spurgmeister and I would be down to chat.

I have no idea what that is. I'm not with the times. I am the times.

09-23-2015, 01:39 AM
(09-22-2015 11:55 PM)eagle8burger Wrote:  I remember finding Charleston's first Death Note on a complete whim and being so elated to find a quality show lurking in the underbelly of YouTube. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but the more I've got into abridging, the more pessimistic I've become about new talent. I find myself going for old-reliable rather than delving into the great abridged yonder.

I'll take this as my first episode was so good, it just ruined first episodes for every other new parody you've found since.

No, shhh, that's what you mean, eagle. That's what you mean.

I'm with you, man. I've only been doing this for a year, but it's been forever since I looked around for a new or underrated series. Back in September of last year, I searched all over YouTube for abridgers or voice actors without much of a following, since they would be more likely to voice for a guy with next to nothing on his channel (me at the time). Now I'm friends with extremely talented voice actors, and I feel like I can approach just about anyone in the community and ask if they'd be down to voice someone in a video now that I've got the past year's work to show what the quality of said video would be. Though as fortunate and awesome as my current position is with my cast, it could just be because I met you, Buddy and Grimm right off the bat. That certainly helped.

Most of the time when I was looking around for series that weren't too popular, I didn't find many "talented" people, though a lot of these videos were first or seconds attempts at abridging. You guys seemed to like the first episode of my Death Note series despite its obvious flaws and shitty editing, so I can't imagine the shit you had to wade through to get to it.

I don't know if the new abridgers are worse, or if they're really good at hiding and haven't been found yet, cause it's been a while since I was at all impressed with a debut.

[Image: tumblr_nlc3r2zWio1u2ad96o1_400.gif]
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJrclIioGb1qm3Ffli_plw
09-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Now, I'm not an active member here but I'm going to attempt the question best I can.

Abridging itself isn't dead, as most people say. However, I believe that the community itself has just gotten worse from how it was between 2010 and 2013. Back in 2012, when I first started, it more or less seemed like most of the community was good at what they did, but in a few years time, people just tend to get preoccupied with other things, life and stuff. Those people leave, and in return, more people attempt to start.

Nowadays, most abridged series seem to be focused moreso on good editing rather than the actual quality of a series. That's not necessarily a bad thing until you're so focused on making the editing really well done that the script itself is only subpar, to your or the audiences standards. People will give you shit if the editing is subpar and the script is also fairly subpar, usually nothing more or less. Hell, people might rag on you if the editing is subpar from the rest of the communities work. At least, from my experiences it seems that way, but what do I know? Most people would say that I'm not funny enough to make anything, and I'd agree with them to an extent.

But even at that point, Abridging is becoming something that's very popular, especially with the huge explosion of shonen animes that come out every anime season, which can be considered the most popular genres to start abridging with. Countless Naruto, Bleach, Attack On Titan, blah blah blah etc. Abridged Series come out so often that it makes people not want to watch them, because the "good stuff" is more or less buried beneath the terrible. It's getting difficult to find decent parodies nowadays than it used too. Back in 2012, Abridging wasn't as popular as it is now, and it was easier to find things to laugh at. Now, people just laugh at things because they're bad and not because they have quality to them.

I stopped coming here mainly because, like someone else said (I think it was Truthordeal), that a lot of people here have a similar mindset to what a "good abridged series" is supposed to be, and I tend to think differently than most. However, I hold to the belief that everyone's opinion has some sort of validity, which is why I don't bash on the Criticism section of the forums every single chance I get. Most critics here tend to think in a similar way, and there's nothing wrong with that. Hell, I used to think in a similar way. But comedy is, to an extent, subjective and differs from person to person. Unless everyone and their mother thinks you aren't funny, there isn't a right or wrong critic. But lots of others can still learn from the mistakes you've made.

One of the most unpopular mistakes I've ever made was abusing a bunch of frozen jokes for an episode. It wasn't funny to anyone, including myself (To this day, I still don't know why I did it), but I still got feedback on it because I felt like I did something wrong. I'm sure no one who saw that video will make that very same mistake, and that's why critics are more or less important to others and yourself.

I've ranted. Let's just end this all with a few things. Is Abridging Dead? No, it's continuing to prove to be one of the most popular forms of internet entertainment. Is The Community Dead? No, the community is going to continue growing as Abridging continues growing. Is the Community Getting Worse? As more people come in, it's more and more likely that the community will grow more and more toxic than it used to be, so to an extent, yes. Does any of it matter? No. If you want to continue to abridge, continue. If you don't, don't. The reasoning and ideals of others shouldn't weigh down on your own reasoning and morals, but listening to them helps you decide what you want to do.

and back to inactivity I go.

Ignore this post unless it's actually postworthy.
09-23-2015, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 05:59 PM by Yaro Shien.)
Okay, we answered the question already! There's no reason to keep saying it a 1000 different ways and think one is better.
The issue that is present is how to make the forums better. To which that was already answered!
So someone come up with good forum productivity ideas and blast them at the nearest Mod and Admin!

09-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Honestly, it's on its way out.

The majority of the people who started the hobby are all getting older, and younger people don't find it as interesting to make abridged series as they do with things like Vine. Honestly, if you look at creators on Youtube, already they're kinda seen as old fashioned. It's still reminiscent of Television and the idea of channels, consistent shows, and the like. Even something like 2 years ago there was a pretty big community of people that worked on things in tandem, and everyone was trying to work together on stuff. I mean, do people here think there could be a group as big as TeamDeviLKitty again? Have there been any big projects by up and comers at all since then? I mean, half of the people who did that weren't really friends at all but a giant collaborative effort was a great idea. I rarely see any of that. On these forums it's all older abridgers, and newbies just looking for voice actors. At this point, there are people paying professional voice actors and getting them to do a couple lines for their videos. That's insane. It's not even just the big ones doing it anymore. It's more than 10 people I've seen with legit paid VA's in their series.

I won't say it's 'dead'. There will probably always be people who do anime parody, but the concept of a condensed version of the show with jokes seems like it's dying off. The push to ultra high production values has alienated writers, and collaboration is at an all time low.

I'd say do another huge project to revitalize this, try and get the old guard to pass the torch to the newbies, but that comes off as sorta futile.

I know I have ideas I've been kicking around for years, but honestly, there's a lot of work, for very little payout, and you'd have a better deal writing a book/stand up routine than just doing an internet anime parody.

[Image: y014VWX.png]
[+] 1 user Likes xerostyle's post
09-24-2015, 03:23 PM
(09-23-2015 05:58 PM)Yaro Shien Wrote:  Okay, we answered the question already! There's no reason to keep saying it a 1000 different ways and think one is better.
The issue that is present is how to make the forums better. To which that was already answered!
So someone come up with good forum productivity ideas and blast them at the nearest Mod and Admin!

Maybe don't get mad at people for staying on-topic, and then demand people have a completely separate off-topic conversation. That's what new threads are for.

And that also, incidentally, does not convince anyone that they're mistaken for not visiting the forum anymore.

[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
09-24-2015, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:51 PM by SoDA.)
Consumer pending.
New names change attention spans.
They die regardless.

My sole aim is for each of my posts to be looked at like...
[Image: tumblr_inline_noroeqirJ31rnvg33_500.gif]
Worry not; the abridged community can be dead to anyone, and rightfully so.
u2b
02-20-2016, 12:23 AM
I know that it's been a long time since this thread had any activity on it, but I wanted to put my thoughts down about why it was that I took time off from abridging. The biggest one was the fact that I was getting burned out from making content almost weekly and wanted some time off from it. I was happy just chatting with people on Skype a lot, and slowly I got away from feeling obligated to making videos again. Would have made a post sometime ago explaining about my absence, but I was extremely out of it that I forgot to do it all together.

Also with the fact that I was dealing with depression and had got laid off from my job, that making videos was the least of my worries. I had so much that I needed to take care of that I wasn't usually on YouTube that much. Now a days I'm doing a lot better now that I'm running my own business, and actually enjoying life for a change. Has making videos about abridging been on my mind as of late? It has a little, but I want there to be a reason for me to come back rather then just forcing myself to make videos again.

So hopefully this explains my 3-4 year absence, and it's good to see some people trying to keep this place alive. Smile
03-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Maybe we could all help out this site by throwing a ad or something on the end of our videos. I know that would be really easy for me to do on my new series which is all about bringing in the fans (all 300 xD) and getting them to voice act extras on the show. So far I've found 3 really good voice actors out of people that never thought they could do it before. I've also told a few groups I do voices for about these forums and I know at least one is active posting on here now. I wish I knew about this site back before I started trying to make videos it would of been extremely helpful and still is to some degree. I'd love to see some challenges brought back to the forums and more live shows or maybe even a chat feature idk I just woke up back to bed for me!

Voice Actor and Editor for Believe It! Entertainment
Naruto Abridged / TWQ:Gurren Lagann Abridged
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyy6zf...Uubv0t192w

I suck but I try not toooooooo! xD
07-24-2016, 09:33 PM
I've only just entered the abridging scene myself (having created my first abridged episode in March of this year), and ever since, I've heard a lot of people saying something to that effect; "abridging is dead". And, honestly, it absolutely baffles me. In my opinion, abridging has never been more alive!

I discovered my first abridged series back in 2010, with PurpleEyesWTF's Code Ment. As time has passed, I've seen more and more truly great abridged series. Series that may have been a huge hit back in 2008-2010, are considered mediocre at best nowadays, because the standards for quality in writing, editing, and voice acting have risen drastically.

Yet, despite the bar being set so high, there are so many novice abridgers coming out of the woodworks and doing surprisingly well. Sure; their first episodes might have nothing on the current work of many established abridgers, but they absolutely blow the first episodes of said established abridgers right out of the water; there isn't even a contest in that department (#TIBA has abundantly proven this). By the time they reach the experience level of the big-name abridgers, they could very well surpass them. Just look at how quickly abridgers like Something Witty Entertainment, or Reality Punch Studios have shot up over the course of just 2-3 years. Who knows; we may be looking at names like TheAbridgedBoiis or MynameisEarl popping up in the elite circles in a no time.

The big issue, as many people have already stated, is that people are just sticking to the names they know, and aren't giving newbies a chance. We're having to prove ourselves first, just as the big-guns had to do once upon a time, and that certainly doesn't happen overnight.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)