New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Abridging "Dead"?
07-24-2016, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 09:53 PM by ToNi.)
RE: Is Abridging "Dead"?
(07-24-2016 09:33 PM)DoktorApplejuice Wrote:  The big issue, as many people have already stated, is that people are just sticking to the names they know, and aren't giving newbies a chance. We're having to prove ourselves first, just as the big-guns had to do once upon a time, and that certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Yeah pretty much.

Like, regardless of skill level, it's nearly impossible for new people to get recognized without doing at least one of the following things.

A: Competently abridge an anime that is very new and very popular. This is a little disgusting, but if you're competent and unknown it will get you at least out of the very finest further-out realms of obscurity, up to "yeah like two people know who I am" levels. congrats.

B: Get noticed by someone who is already established. How?... I don't know. Note: This isn't guaranteed to work, especially if you don't actually update your shit. See also: Bohbear. He managed to get noticed by TFS by making a parody of Dragonball Z Abridged. metaparody. Though he only has like 600 subscribers, probably due in part to how he doesn't actually release content.

C: Natural growth. I've heard of this concept before, but I'm pretty sure it's a myth. My channel is 4 years old, has 80+ abridged videos, and I only have 341 subscribers. Almost none of you know who I am, and none of you have any respect for me despite my channel having far more content than anyone else on this forum.

..Though, I have my own plans for making a splash and freeing myself from obscurity. I don't feel like sharing it with you guys, mostly because I don't know any of you well enough. If it happens, you'll know.

Editor for all of An Untitled Abridger.
Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2016, 11:51 AM
(07-24-2016 09:52 PM)ToNi Wrote:  C: Natural growth. I've heard of this concept before, but I'm pretty sure it's a myth. My channel is 4 years old, has 80+ abridged videos, and I only have 341 subscribers. Almost none of you know who I am, and none of you have any respect for me despite my channel having far more content than anyone else on this forum.

How well you abridge contributes more to your success than how much you abridge. I have 25 abridged videos and twice that sub count. (not bragging; 740 is still nothing, lol) I've complimented your work ethic in the past. I still do, it's flippin' impressive. But your episodes were too same-y and the way you titled your videos made your channel hard to find and harder to get behind. I'm watching the first minute of FMABA 30 (a title which no one will search for) and you still had a long way to go in terms of sound quality, SFX, and vocal projection.

Your productivity is hardly amateurish, but your product's quality, thirty episodes in, still appeared that way.

Quote:..Though, I have my own plans for making a splash and freeing myself from obscurity. I don't feel like sharing it with you guys, mostly because I don't know any of you well enough. If it happens, you'll know.

This kind of awkwardness is why you don't have the respect of many others on the forum.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2016, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 06:56 PM by Earl of Bassington.)
What's with the 'icky ew' mindset some people are having when it comes to newer or popular anime? Sorry I don't watch "Magi Girl Boy Sexual Fantasy: Re;zones;gate EXSPHERE gaygaygay". I like abridging and making parodies of newer or popular anime because I don't really like anime. Liking anime has NOTHING to do with making parodies of it -- so what if it's new? ...Is it funny? Do your viewers think it's funny? Yes? Excellent!

You're here to give viewers laughs, regardless of what medium you give them. More laughs, more subscribers -- and people who watch new anime, tend to want to see their new favorite series in a different light, ie. Cracks, Abridgments, Fandubs, ect. Because they usually can't get enough of it/series is ending/is still fresh in their mind.

It's supply and demand -- niche markets cater to niche viewers, but general markets cater to everyone. You can't expect a shop that sells sandpaper dildos exclusively to start off very well selling in dark tunnels. You'll get the random passerby, or your niche weirdos that like that sorta shit, but not everyone WANTS that sorta shit, right? You want viewers? Become the biggest thing in the Niche by selling an AMAZING sandpaper dildo, or "sell-out" by selling normal dildos... THEN selling the weird shit.

It's basic amateur marketing theory and I'm actually quite surprised how many people miss that ball, and complain that they're aren't getting subs. 'New markets' are constantly fluxing and being created, so stake your claim or get buried by many others who attempt the same damn thing. And don't be all "I do it for fun" then complain about being obscure; enjoy your hobby (abridging is NOT a career unless you essentially win the 'jockpot'). And if you happen to get big by doing what you love/having fun, then all power to you.

I personally enjoyed Black Butler, and saw many abridges of it when I first started. I thought they were all absolutely garbage, so I decided to stake my own claim, and became the biggest thing in that niche, by making a better product than what was currently available. I personally think my first episodes are disgusting, but the viewers wanted something better than what they had. I went into making my first videos KNOWING that they were going to get big, because I KNEW that there was a market for it.

If there's anything to take from my walls of text that are probably structurally incorrect somehow, is that -- be good, or get lucky (PS. just like real life).

EARL of BASSINGTON
Vidyas and Other Nonsense

HA x HA #4 (Hunter x Hunter Parody Series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vOUsaA_kM
2015 Demo Reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFznIGTSEU
[+] 5 users Like Earl of Bassington's post
07-26-2016, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 07:33 PM by ToNi.)
Very good post Earl. I get where you're coming from. I agree if someone's trying to make a splash, they've gotta have a well thought out plan nowadays. Can't just abridge whatever for the lulz and expect cold hard cash
Very poor post Anax. Perhaps you should look further than my first abridge before judging my channel. I've completed two. Though if I can throw shade, my FMABA is still better than Abridgelion.
EDIT: My friend (whom I speak with off of this forum) makes a good point. Anax, your post seems to come from the entirely misguided assumption that because I'm not popular, therefore my channel isn't good enough. This is a wrong-headed assumption, and can be corrected by spending more than a few minutes watching some snippits of my stuff from the past four years.

Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
07-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Fine, ignore my input. Stay complacent, take yourself too seriously, and never change. Your choice.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Anax's post
07-26-2016, 09:16 PM
(07-26-2016 06:43 PM)ToNi Wrote:  Very poor post Anax. Perhaps you should look further than my first abridge before judging my channel. I've completed two. Though if I can throw shade, my FMABA is still better than Abridgelion.

Wow. Mature.

(07-26-2016 06:43 PM)ToNi Wrote:  Anax, your post seems to come from the entirely misguided assumption that because I'm not popular, therefore my channel isn't good enough. This is a wrong-headed assumption, and can be corrected by spending more than a few minutes watching some snippits of my stuff from the past four years.

Anax gave his opinion in a civil manner, then you replied in the pettiest way. Again, mature.

As someone that's watched quite a few of your videos, it's not because you're not popular that you're "not good enough". It's because you're not as good as you think you are. As in from your writing to production quality to your titles, it's not too great mate. So if someone didn't enjoy your videos, then why would they watch more? I personally wouldn't waste my time like that, nor would a lot of other people. So it's not really misguided assumptions, it's just his opinion. Just like this is my opinion.

Welcome to the internet. Where everyone has an opinion.

[Image: NINExTAILEDxDEE.png]
I do D.Gray-Man and Blazblue: Slice of Life

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEEsidia97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DEEsidia
[+] 1 user Likes DEEsidia97's post
07-26-2016, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 10:33 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
(07-26-2016 06:43 PM)ToNi Wrote:  my first abridge

There's no such thing as an "abridge". "Abridge" is a verb.

This is why abridging is dead.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
07-26-2016, 10:40 PM
(07-26-2016 10:32 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  
(07-26-2016 06:43 PM)ToNi Wrote:  my first abridge

There's no such thing as an "abridge". "Abridge" is a verb.

This is why abridging is dead.
Abridging is dead but English is alive.

07-26-2016, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 10:43 PM by Truthordeal.)
[Image: lE8oI35.png]

I agree with everything you said, Earl.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
07-26-2016, 11:25 PM
People are going to make abridges as long as anime exists, just like they will make parodies of stuff as long as stuff exists. It will never die. What has died is expectation that people will like/comment/subscribe just because something exists on the internet.

Since content has been shifting to web delivery, there is a higher expectation of production and writing quality for ALL internet videos now. Additionally, you have to keep up with the social sharing/search/delivery outlets AND produce regular, high quality content. There is more legwork required if you want to people to both see you and stick around. Some of that is taken care of if you hitch on to a new property with a lot of buzz, but mediocre content won't keep people around.

If you want views and subs, level up. If you want to do it as a hobby, troll your friends, turn in lines late, and release an episode every 4 years. If you want respect, treat others well and be fun to work with. You get what you give.

07-26-2016, 11:27 PM
(07-26-2016 11:25 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  If you want views and subs, level up. If you want to do it as a hobby, troll your friends, turn in lines late, and release an episode every 4 years. If you want respect, treat others well and be fun to work with. You get what you give.

This strikes me as very true.
Though, there's only one way to find out for sure. Someone has to actually go and do it.

07-27-2016, 04:37 AM
(07-26-2016 11:25 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  People are going to make abridges

literally impossible

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
07-27-2016, 05:50 AM
(07-27-2016 04:37 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  

literally impossible
I like abridges.

07-27-2016, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 08:34 AM by DoktorApplejuce.)

literally impossible

Nah, abridges get made all the time. They're pretty handy for crossing arivers.

07-27-2016, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 02:07 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
(07-27-2016 05:50 AM)ToNi Wrote:  

literally impossible
I like abridges.

Anyone who says this is lying even if they do use proper English

07-27-2016, 02:29 PM
(08-16-2015 11:50 AM)ArkaKun Wrote:  Is abridging dead?

Yes.

Hajime No Ippo: the Abridging!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...YMOBMP2jZM
07-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Abridging is undead. You cannot kill that which has no life. That being said, there are a ton of people making content, but most people are on social media for collabing. You have to go out and make new friends to find stuff. That goes for a ton of the fandom content, not just abridges

07-27-2016, 10:45 PM
If #TIBA showed anything, it's that there are a ton of people who still like abridging stuff, and there's a whole bunch of people who have been making their own stuff, but haven't chosen to hang around here or with any of you. If you feel like the community has waned and want it to feel more lively, step outside of your own bubbles and go mingle with newbies. Just by scouting the new feed on Youtube, you could find the person who'll eventually make your favorite series of videos. Shit, you might even find the person who's going to be one of your best friends one day.

I realize this sounds super-hypocritical coming from me, since I left here partly because I didn't want to make the effort to hang out with all of the new, relevant people anymore. But seriously, one of the least helpful things you can do is not be inclusive. Abridging's alive. Go experience it.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 9 users Like Truthordeal's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)