Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF's Abridged Series
09-29-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: AF's Abridged Series
(09-29-2015 06:47 PM)TwooGiz Wrote:  You yourself Anax said you only wanted to write.

I did not say that.

(09-28-2015 09:25 AM)Anax Wrote:  I'll do anything except editing. I can't edit.

If there's a need for another voice, I can provide. If there's a need for a director, I can try. If there's room for a scriptwriter, I can do that. I'm just no good with video editing.

Quote:The way I plan on dividing up the series is each episode either 1 person or a team of 2 or 3 will handle each episode.

This I like. :-)

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2015, 10:01 PM
(09-29-2015 09:19 AM)TheHawk Wrote:  I've been involved in projects like this before. My main suggestion would be to have one main editor. If you have multiple ones they can stumble over one another. if you wanted to alleviate the workload, maybe have one person editing per episode, but not multiple on one episode.

You definitely need a good director for the VA's. That needs to be consistent so that you get good performances from the cast. It'd likely help if the VA director was part of the writing process, that way he can better understand how the lines need to be delivered.

To contribute, I could be a voice actor.

The whole idea behind this project is to combine many different styles and visions into a single series, so that every person gets a chance to add their own touch to an episode. Making it TOO uniform would defeat that purpose.

And as for having a main editor, while I agree if you wanted optimal cohesion that would be the best way. However this is a mass collaboration, and these episodes are going to be more or less worked on at the exact same time. There is no way a single person could edit all those episodes all at once. It's gotta be handled either by the writer or a volunteer.

I don't know what the exact plan is but I would assume these episodes will all be released at around the same time, in chronological order as available. It doesn't seem like a long-term commitment where we're all banging out one episode at a time.

[YouTube channel|Role Playlist|Anime|Twitter]
[+] 1 user Likes Mandos's post
09-29-2015, 11:07 PM
(09-29-2015 10:01 PM)Mandos Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 09:19 AM)TheHawk Wrote:  I've been involved in projects like this before. My main suggestion would be to have one main editor. If you have multiple ones they can stumble over one another. if you wanted to alleviate the workload, maybe have one person editing per episode, but not multiple on one episode.

You definitely need a good director for the VA's. That needs to be consistent so that you get good performances from the cast. It'd likely help if the VA director was part of the writing process, that way he can better understand how the lines need to be delivered.

The whole idea behind this project is to combine many different styles and visions into a single series, so that every person gets a chance to add their own touch to an episode. Making it TOO uniform would defeat that purpose.

And as for having a main editor, while I agree if you wanted optimal cohesion that would be the best way. However this is a mass collaboration, and these episodes are going to be more or less worked on at the exact same time. There is no way a single person could edit all those episodes all at once. It's gotta be handled either by the writer or a volunteer.

I don't know what the exact plan is but I would assume these episodes will all be released at around the same time, in chronological order as available. It doesn't seem like a long-term commitment where we're all banging out one episode at a time.

I was just saying that you don't want three or four people working on one video. Their styles could clash, or various other things could happen.

"Your stuff is pretty good, but it's no TeamFourStar. Be more like them!"- My supportive roommate.

[Image: b7gg35.jpg]
My YouTube
Twitter
09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Doesn't look like I can vote for some reason. Anyone know how to fix that?

[Image: tumblr_nlc3r2zWio1u2ad96o1_400.gif]
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJrclIioGb1qm3Ffli_plw
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2015, 10:57 AM
You need 30 posts to vote in polls. Critiquing projects in the Series Database is a great way to boost your post count!

09-30-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 02:31 PM by TwooGiz.)
Mandos and Hawk you guys don't need to quote each other's entire posts when you're responding right after one another. Lol

I can't quote right now because I'm on mobile but Mandos if we all worked on our episodes at the same time there would be absolutely no coherent story. I was planning on it to take place 1 episode at a time. With each person building upon what the last episode(s) had built. If certain people want to make their episodes earlier or later on than others then we need to get that figured out. I think a month for each episode is an appropriate amount of time and if someone finishes early then the next person/group can start early too.

Hawk since not everyone can edit groups is something we can't avoid at least a few times. We can try to get similar minds together for episode writers though.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
09-30-2015, 05:04 PM
(09-30-2015 02:29 PM)TwooGiz Wrote:  I was planning on it to take place 1 episode at a time. With each person building upon what the last episode(s) had built.

That's going to get interesting towards the end.

[YouTube channel|Role Playlist|Anime|Twitter]
09-30-2015, 06:11 PM
That's the idea!

I was hoping that each episode would have at least two writers working on it and an editor.
Do to our lack of editors to writers, we will probably double up people. heck, even the writers will probably get to work on more than one episode (Not consecutively though)

Sure styles will clash, but that's the point! we want people to work on something with someone they haven't worked with and compromise out a knee slapping good time.

I'm not sure how writing teams will get chosen, but I think Twoo and I will have to have a discussion about it. I for one would like to put some, for lack of a better term, weaker writers, with the more experienced ones. It's a great learning experience. If you get teamed up with someone like MrSkoringo, it's probably not because we think you're a bad writer. it's because we think you could probably learn the most from him.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
09-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Can I just state for the record that I'm not sure why Dragonball is off as a suggestion yet we have two comedy animes as possible series.

I'll make my case here that the ones we have listed in the poll above are bad ideas and then you can all tell me why I'm wrong.

First - I told Charles that I told Twoogiz my four suggestions for Anime, this was a lie, I only told him Dragonball and forgot to mention the other three, my bad - They were, Beck, Macross and Area 88, all action/shonen anime, easy to work with (except for Macross and 88 with their action scenes possibly being alittle more difficult to work with. whatever) they all have straight forward stories that most people can jump into and follow without much difficulty, like most shonen anime.

Dragonball in particular would be the most easy to animate (even though its been done before, albeit not WELL) - considering that not only has it got the most straight forward animation of all three above, but its also got the easiest story to follow (and the easiest story to deviate from if the writers want too)

The reason I'm pushing for Dragonball though is the way I see this project -

Picking somehting like Paranoia Agent would be like Nasa saying "Were going to send people to the moon on thursday" without actually shooting a rocket first.

How do we know that this is going to be a good thing for everyone if the first suggestion is to take the entire thing and throw them into the deep end? You gotta get your feet wet first, adjust to the pool and then splash around alittle. Paranoia Agent or Gangsta might be good for a team that's been doing it for awhile, but really I don't see it working out with people who have never worked together let alone actually talked to each other.

[Image: nn870k.gif]
Get at me on Skype: Bohemian.bear
[+] 1 user Likes Bohbear's post
09-30-2015, 08:33 PM
I concur with Bohbear on this one, it's why I picked Astro Boy. Why I'm going to push a bit more on Astro boy is because it hasn't really been done. We've all seen a million shit dragon balls, which will be stifling on the writers, (Can't do that ,or can't go to that well because the jokes been made a million times)
Astroboy is fresh and well known.

A vote for AstroBoy is a vote for freedom.

09-30-2015, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 08:36 PM by Bohbear.)
Quote:We've all seen a million shit dragon balls, which will be stifling on the writers, (Can't do that ,or can't go to that well because the jokes been made a million times)

Yeah but people also DON'T have to worry about that because what joke from Dragonball all the Dragonball Abridged Series can you say has been done a million times before?

09-30-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm with Boh, on the topic of Dragonball. For the reasons he's stated, as well as that I've gotten used to editing Dragonball footage.

On a side note, Baka and Test is tied with Astro Boy, so far! I did not expect that.

OoziHobo Wrote:CB, did you slip in from the negaverse?

[Image: 74DGy.gif]
09-30-2015, 08:51 PM
#SchoolDays2016

If I could choose second, I'd go with Astro Boy.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
09-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm leaving my vote out for now, I want to hear what Twoogiz thinks.

09-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Dragonball seems like a good idea. The story telling, joke set-ups and punchlines would be child's play. plus there's so many other wacky things you could do to it. then again I am fond of astro-boy cause it'd get me outta my usual anime zone. I think...I think im gonna go with Astro-Boy on this one.

My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dgZgo...ibTvLcmiVg
09-30-2015, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 10:44 PM by concrete Building.)
(09-29-2015 11:07 PM)TheHawk Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 10:01 PM)Mandos Wrote:  

I was just saying that you don't want three or four people working on one video. Their styles could clash, or various other things could happen.

Here's my main idea behind what I said:

I said it would work like a post house, and post houses tend to have a supervisor for multiple people on one project. The way it's been presented to me (and the way I've done it in class) is that it's like having a director for the editing itself, so that, like you said, styles don't clash. Also so that the director can see their vision best created, and as you might know, many directors have their favorite editor (classic example: Walter Murch as Francis Ford Coppola's go-to editor).

So here a couple of basic ways to go about it:

Version 1
Supervising editor - Makes sure everything looks seamless amongst the editors. Changes entire scenes if need be. Makes sure things are fine with the director.

Editor(s) - Does the groundwork. All the lipflaps, audio editing, scene editing, etc.

Assistant editor(s) - Helps the editors with whatever they need. If they need a shot from Google and they don't have time to search the depths of the internet, the assistant can do that. Might grab sounds and other things. Could possibly do titles. Whatever the editor needs, but doesn't have the time to get is what the Assistant does.

Version 2

Supervising Editor - Same as version 1.

Scene editor - Makes sure the comedic timing is on point. Makes sure the story looks cohesive, if there is a cohesive story. Makes sure every shot is seamless within each other. Basically, what a normal film editor would do.

Lip-flap editor - Exactly as it says on the tin. This position would do the lipflaps as needed, leaving good time for the scene editors to go about their work without much of a worry about whether x lipflap looks good.

Sound editor/Designer* - Also what it says on the tin. People specialized in sound can mix the episode and do foley work when needed. (Thanks, Bindy! I had this in the back of my mind and it eluded me when I was writing it)

Motion graphic designer* - Does the titles, lower-third graphics, anything that requires basic animation that is not included in the footage. If there are extravagant animated visual gags, that would go to this position.

Compositor* - If there are characters to cut out from a scene or if there are major scenery changes, this person does that and makes sure everything looks fine, picture-wise. If there are visual gags within the main picture (ie. someone's eyes are bloodshot, but it's not in the footage), this position takes care of that.

Assistant editor - Same as version 1.

*Optional position. If this position is not taken, it goes to either the scene editor, or the supervising editor.

My main reason is time. I know I don't have all the time in the world to do everything I'm doing, AND edit Hetaliabridged, AND edit whatever we're working on. But I still very much want to be a part of it. I feel like I've missed out on a lot, and I feel like I'm abandoning an entire group of close friends when I'm gone to do whatever at school for extended periods of time. I know I'm not the only one in this boat. I know people have lives to live, and that's why I'm suggesting this. Not to mention, I know this has worked in the past. Example: Star Wars. Paul Hirsch, Richard Chew, and Maria Lucas all worked on it with Paul Hirsch as the supervising editor. It's something the industry does all the time. If we pull together and do it, I know we can do it, and I know we can understand how people do this a little better, especially if someone wants to do this for a living.

09-30-2015, 10:07 PM
I believe some of the sound work could also be broken off into a separate chunk. Something as simple to cleaning and leveling voice work, or SFX/BGM would be good pieces. Sound is an area that tends to get skimped on, so someone who doesn't know how or hasn't really put a lot of work into sound design could use an episode from the project to experiment and learn! It'd also be a nice piece for people who aren't editors or writers (AKA VAs) to polish their skills on.

09-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Made the sound change. Thanks a lot for reminding me to put that in there.

10-01-2015, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 02:15 AM by TwooGiz.)
Now that I think on Dragonball more I can see it working. I ruled it out before because of its length and then I added Astro Boy from popular demand. After the fact realizing it was much too long too. Dragonball could work because it has a 12 or 13 episode arc right at the beginning that we could span our series over. Does Astro Boy have something similar? If so I'll warm up to it more. I'm probably going to redo the poll for a final version where everyone gets only one vote with our most popular picks from this poll and Dragonball included.

This is towards Boh's comment about Paranoia Agent vs Dragonball (sorry on mobile again can't quote). The source material honestly doesn't matter except that it is a decent length for us to be able complete. Just because you've seen Dragonball parodies before where they had a buttload of bad jokes doesn't mean our series will be only funny as fuck jokes. A series no one really knows the plot of like Paranoia Agent might work best simply because no one knows where the story is going. No one can build up to anything after multiple episodes (which wouldn't happen no matter what because we're all working independently from one another). Forcing people to use what they have in each episode and think outside the box rather than try to build towards a plot point that will never come because someone else will be writing the future episodes. Build up in abridged series over multiple episodes is a bad idea anyways. This is the internet people have attention span of flies.

On editing we simply don't have the man power to divide editing up like that. And doing so would make things overly complicated. I can see someone taking on editing helper duties like making sure the audio is clean, doing more advanced editing if need be (although if they can't edit their own script they shouldn't be adding crazy edits into videos in the 1st place), and overseeing the final edited version on pacing, timing, etc. We want to try to be as split from each other as possible on episode making so no one trips over each other's creativity. Think lighthouses, each lighthouse is placed just far enough away to barely see the next one. We want to make sure everyone's light stays on at night but we don't want to drive a boat back and forth to help with every little thing. It's a waste of gas and defeats the purpose of uniqueness if there's too much uniform work.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
10-01-2015, 06:18 AM
If we do end up picking a longer anime, we can also do a three episodes condensed into one kinda deal.

and with the amount of editors we have, we should be giving them the freedom to choose which people they want to work with for what episodes. one guy wants to edit three episodes in a row? hey there's only like two other guys, do what you want to do.

as this is the abridged forums show, you'll have the entire forums backing you up. As Abridgers you should be as versatile in your editing as possible, but there are people here that will help you.

Honestly concrete I love the idea, and I actually want to do it, I just don't know if we can. I would recommend the editors keep in touch with eachother. I'm hoping this show (whatever it is) ((Astro Boy)) can be not only a learning experience, but an olive branch to everyone to eachother in these forums.

Also Twoo, can we fine tune who wants to do what at the start? I.E + for writers, = for Voice actors.
+= for those doing both. just next to their name.
I for one, want += next to mine.

Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)