New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charleston Critiques Your Stuff
10-02-2015, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 04:13 PM by Charleston.)
Charleston Critiques Your Stuff
I want to get more involved with the forum, and I want to watch more parody videos, so I figure this was the way to do both. I've been doing abridging stuff for over a year now, and I feel like I have a decent grasp on what makes a parody work.

I'll split the critique into a few sections:

Editing:
-Visual: Lip flaps, any visual edits
-Audio: The mixing of dialogue, music, and sound FX.

Voice Acting: This'll be both the performances of the voice actors along with the voices themselves.

Writing:
-Pacing: While some pacing will be mentioned in the editing, this will be all about how fast the story of your video is moving along, and whether or not I think it works.
-Jokes: Are the jokes good? While humour is very much an art form and my sense of humour is definitely not the same as a whole lot of people, I can still appreciate a well put together joke, even if it doesn't have me laughing.

Each of these sections is going to be marked out of 5 just because I like rating systems. If you'd prefer I focus more on a specific element of your video, I can do that as well, but I'll still give an overall critique of it.

Alright, lets get this going! Link me your stuff!

EDIT: Your video doesn't need to be really new, I'll check out something from months ago if you haven't done anything since.

[Image: tumblr_nlc3r2zWio1u2ad96o1_400.gif]
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJrclIioGb1qm3Ffli_plw
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 02:28 PM
RE: Charleston Critiques Your Stuff
Seeing as how I'd like to get your post count up as well, I'm posting all of my videos. please review them individually in a new post for each one. I'm kinda interested to see how I've improved from two years. Ironically I started doing abridged stuff in 2009, but it took me till 2013 to make my own stuff.

Let the journey begin!

Go see Age of Inside Out.
10-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Here's two of the most recent parodies I've released (From two different Series).
Would like to hear more opinions about them:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2015, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 04:10 PM by Charleston.)
Sonic X One-Shot:

I don't think offering tips on this will be of much use considering I've already seen your last couple videos and know where you've improved, but I'll see what I can do here anyway.

Editing:
Visual: There were a couple issues, mostly with the screechy British lady's mouth, but overall the lip flaps were alright. For your first video, it definitely could be worse, but I'll be looking for improvement in the next video for sure.
Audio: The audio levels for some things should have been better. The background sounds were a nice touch in the opening scene, but they were too loud. I shouldn't be struggling to hear what someone is saying, especially since it's just sounds like birds and wind (unless it's part of a joke, of course). Robot saying "you killed my brother" was way too loud, along with Tails being way too quiet. Of course this is all easy to fix with practice.

2/5

Voice Acting: Here's where I may end up being kind of a kiss ass. I've only casted you in one of my own videos so far, but I've really liked your voice acting since I first heard you in whatever video it may have been (Schmucks 1? I don't know). Your performance in this was pretty good, and it isn't all that easy to tell that you play all the characters, which is pretty rare for a first episode. Overall, it's pretty good, but I know for a fact you've improved over the past couple years.

3/5

Writing:
Pacing: The pacing was okay. The first couple minutes went pretty smoothly, but when just about a quarter of the video is a song, it's kind of jarring. It was certainly the low point of the video, which sucks considering it was also the climax of the story being told. You kinda fucked up there, but it was also your first video (I really don't want to use this as an excuse for you over and over, but it's the truth. The only way to learn to improve is by making more videos and seeing how each thing comes out, so I'm going a little easy on you with the first video).
Jokes: As far as jokes, it was kind of meh. Only bit that made me laugh was the "explosion process halted" bit, and even then it was more because of the delivery than the joke itself.

2/5

10-02-2015, 09:04 PM

As a disclaimer, I helped co-write this and voiced in it. I had no part in the editing or mixing process. This is just one of the better videos I've helped with on our channel and I'd love some feedback.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
10-03-2015, 12:29 PM
X-Men Aburged Episode 1

Editing:
Visual: Western animated shows are a bitch to edit, especially lip flaps. There's a lot more movement in the animation along with different lip flaps depending on what they're saying. I said I was looking for improvement in lip flaps after your Sonic video, but this kind of thing is a pain in the ass. So while the coordination on the mouth movement with what is being said is actually worse than what you had in Sonic, the fact that it's this type of show almost gives you a pass on this. You didn't improve between the two videos, but you didn't really get worse with it.
Audio: The first thing I have to mention is how out of place a lot of the music feels. Specifically the first minute and a half. The music worked for when the football game was starting until the dude got the touchdown. Then you introduced the character stealing the guy's wallet. That should have had a song change. The upbeat music doesn't work at all for this scene, along with Cyclops coming in. Should have had at least two, if not three songs in the opening minute and a half. The switch to the scene with the cops works pretty well, but the music is too loud. I'll talk about AC/DC later. The scene with Cyclops on the phone also had music that was too loud. The big improvement here were the sound effects. Not necessarily the choice of them, but their audio level. In sonic they were way too loud most of the time, so big improvement there.

2/5

Voice Acting: Decent improvement over Sonic, and not only because Grimmjack was pretty great. I never [ictured Cyclops having that voice, but it worked pretty damn well. Plus his bit as the police officer was pretty well done. Of course, this is from 2013 and both of you have improved a lot. Your acting was pretty good, not a huge step up from Sonic, but enough that I can tell some progress was made.

3/5

Writing:
Pacing: Overall, I think the pacing of the writing was pretty good. Nothing sped ahead way too fast and there weren't any scenes that were so long that I'd have to bring them up. Definitely an improvement over Sonic.
Jokes: So here's where I find there's a big difference between this video and Sonic. In Sonic, I chuckled at a couple of moments due to the delivery of the lines. I wouldn't say the writing was bad, but it certainly didn't stand out at all. The delivery helped them a ton. X-Men is the opposite. There were way more jokes that should have worked, but the delivery was off. The entirety of the Nightcrawler scene was jokes that pretty much all fell flat, mostly due to the timing (which could actually be mentioned in editing as well). The whole Wolverine - AC/DC bit didn't make sense. Nonsensical scenes can work, as long as the viewer gets a laugh out of it. While the idea that Wolverine is a one man AC/DC cover band is pretty damn funny, it didn't translate well to the script.

2/5

While it doesn't look like there's any improvement over Sonic with the scores, there definitely was. Just not enough to change the number.

Also, singing Grimmjack was delightful. 10/10 would listen again.

[+] 1 user Likes Charleston's post
10-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Since I haven't actually gotten a review from a reviewer thread on this bad boy, yet.

EARL of BASSINGTON
Vidyas and Other Nonsense

HA x HA #4 (Hunter x Hunter Parody Series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vOUsaA_kM
2015 Demo Reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFznIGTSEU
10-05-2015, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 07:45 PM by Charleston.)
X-Men Aburged Episode 2

Editing:
Visual: There was a slight improvement in lip flaps, but nothing spectacular. Other than that, not much to talk about that wasn't said about episode 1.
Audio: MUCH better music choices in this one. Plus the music volume was considerably better. Big improvement.

3/5

Voice Acting: Bringing in Charles and Eric definitely helped not only with the quality of voices, but with the overall feel of the show. No matter how good someone's range is, every character they voice has some sort of similarity to them (at least, from all the videos I've seen with someone doing this) and bringing in a few extra voice actors improves the whole atmosphere of the show. Of course, this could just be me, but I feel like most people would agree.

3/5

Writing:
Pacing: Pacing was pretty good, nothing to say here that wasn't said in episode 1.
Jokes: Big improvement here. Episode 1 had way too many jokes that fell flat. This script didn't feel like there were as many jokes forced into it. They seemed way more natural, and I think having a lower number of natural jokes is far better than stuffing in a bunch of jokes just for the sake of trying to get a laugh out of a scene. While I didn't laugh at all, I found myself grinning most of the time, which is actually pretty good considering I rarely laugh when watching parodies. Not that I think I'm above the humour, I just don't have the best reactions.

3/5

X-Men Aburged Episode 3

Editing:
Visual: Pretty good improvement to lip flaps. Still not all that great, but it's getting there. The visual gags in this worked pretty well despite some iffy editing with them, but as long as it's still funny, I'm fine with less than stellar editing.
Audio: Basically the same as episode 2, though I noticed some improvements in the sound effects.

It's still a 3/5 but it's a very high 3.

Voice Acting: Biggest cast yet by a long shot. I don't have a whole lot to say about the cast to be honest. Everyone did their job, though no one really impressed me.

3/5

Writing:
Pacing: Basically the same as the other two episodes, pretty solid.
Jokes: Loved a lot of the visual gags. The blood was pretty funny every time it popped up, despite the fact that I rarely enjoy recurring jokes. Props to you for nailing that one. While the visuals could have been a little better, it got the job done. Just like episode 2, the jokes felt natural.

3/5

Definitely the best of the series, though that's to be expected especially with your first series. You definitely improved with each video so far, which is a pretty good sign for your next few videos. I can't say it's something I'd watch if I weren't critiquing it, but a job well done nonetheless.

10-19-2015, 08:11 AM
I'll be getting back to these this week. I ended up getting way busier than I thought I would over the past couple weeks. Sorry for taking so long.

11-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Here's one for the sweaty pile, Charleston Chew. 8D

[Image: zvo01d.jpg]

"One time some guy made a signature quote and...no, no wait, that's probably already too meta for" comfort, didn't even finish that sentence in the quotes man what even is this
04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Now, I made this a week or so ago. I would consider it more of a parody music video but let me know what you think!

04-08-2016, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 08:24 AM by Nightwize.)
04-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Without watching the video, I think this is a really cool concept.

Go see Age of Inside Out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)