New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1Kids Editing Livestreams
03-20-2016, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 03:37 AM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
1Kids Editing Livestreams
So, my group launched our Patreon last month, and a couple days ago, I decided to add another tier to our rewards page. Our $20+ Patrons, starting in April, are going to be treated to a few livestreams each month of just me editing. Now, not a lot of people have bit at this new reward tier (mostly because we haven't advertised it anywhere beyond Patreon and Twitter), but it got me thinking.

The people who are likely to benefit the most from watching my editing process, and therefore are probably the most interested in seeing it, would be some of you guys here, I'd think. I'd like to open this opportunity to you guys as well, but I know most abridgers are broke, and it'd be a douche move for me to ask you guys to pay to see me edit for $20 a month, the same price that whole Adobe Creative Cloud suite costs for students.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way around this so maybe I could offer this up to you guys. Maybe 1 stream each month would be free & public? Or semi-public, only posted here and on Twitter? The only problem with that is that it devalues the reward I'm giving paying Patrons. I dunno. I want to make this happen, but these are the specifics that are tripping me up.

If y'all are interested and have a suggestion, let me know. If no one cares, I'll fuck off.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2016, 04:47 AM
RE: 1Kids Editing Livestreams
Being a Broke abridger I know I would not be able to pay $20 a month to possibly watch a stream of you editing. I also understand that you want to do something for that tier of Patrons. From what I gather and was going to end up doing if my channel ever got to the point of having a Patreon as going to be custom short clips that could be personalized per Patron of a higher tier. But that is a tad off topic.

I think a live stream of you editing seems almost like a cop out for someone paying $20+ a month. Its something that a ton of people really don't care about (I'd be pumped to watch that kind of thing but I also edit lol) I feel like a privet stream of you answering questions or playing games with the Patrons would be a better paid route. And if they are playing with you... you could also live stream it to the public and earn possible viewers new fans and possible money from ads on twitch. (Not sure how big you are over all for gaming)

Idk its like 6am and I'm not all that awake sooo not sure how much of this helps, was on topic or made sense.

-Tokk

Voice Actor and Editor for Believe It! Entertainment
Naruto Abridged / TWQ:Gurren Lagann Abridged
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyy6zf...Uubv0t192w

I suck but I try not toooooooo! xD
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2016, 06:04 AM
We already do private streams where we play games and hang out with $5+ Patrons.

I'm not looking for general advice as to how to run my Patreon. I'm looking to see if there is any interest here in people seeing my editing process, for free, if I can figure out a way to do it without sacrificing the value of what my Patrons are already paying for.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

03-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, do what I do for D6. Record the video from your stream, which is a usual option in all streaming applications. Provide it to you patrons first, cause that's what matters, then post the video (maybe edited and shorted) on your channel sometime later (A week or two).

This way you can still give service to your patrons and fellow abridgers. This also gives options to provide original content for your channel and those who want to know how to use the bare knuckle of the adobe programs.

But that's my full dollar of an opinion.

My Legend begins and ends with "Fuck You!"
Demo - Stuff I Was In - Main Channel - Fate Channel - New Website
03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
I'd come up with a different reward at the $20 level and make these free. You don't want to have these streams be available to people who drop a Jackson on you each month but free to those who happen to have an account on AF. That'd be unfair to the under-$20-per-month crowd in your fanbase.

Be warned: streaming live to hundreds or thousands is harder and less personal than to the handful who pay you that much per month. Like Yaro said, you could record a session and upload it to YouTube. But that would remove the live interaction, which is valuable.

But I'm getting ahead of myself; that's step 2. Step 1, in my opinion, is to make them free and find something else to fill that $20 reward.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
03-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Maybe I read something wrong, Anax, but I think he was advertising to us such that anyone HERE who is interested in the streams knows they can contribute $20 to his patreon in order to gain the value from those editing streams. Id be surprised if he was actually letting us see them free, seeing as how this forum has the most to gain from them.

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
03-20-2016, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 11:19 PM by Stephan.)
(03-20-2016 11:01 PM)AnimeLawyers Wrote:  Maybe I read something wrong, Anax, but I think he was advertising to us such that anyone HERE who is interested in the streams knows they can contribute $20 to his patreon in order to gain the value from those editing streams. Id be surprised if he was actually letting us see them free, seeing as how this forum has the most to gain from them.

You may want to read again dude.

(03-20-2016 06:04 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  I'm looking to see if there is any interest here in people seeing my editing process, for free, if I can figure out a way to do it without sacrificing the value of what my Patrons are already paying for.

EDIT: Oh, and I say recorded copies on Vimeo password-protected and sent to the regulars here who specifically ask for it.

03-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I figured I missed something

I say it should be a reward, ie dont give it to us for free or you can do what Yaro suggested and make the reward an early access to the live stream and upload a shorter version of it to youtube a few weeks later

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
03-21-2016, 12:56 AM
(03-20-2016 10:57 PM)Anax Wrote:  I'd come up with a different reward at the $20 level and make these free. You don't want to have these streams be available to people who drop a Jackson on you each month but free to those who happen to have an account on AF. That'd be unfair to the under-$20-per-month crowd in your fanbase.

First off, those people on our Patreon page would be getting these streams in addition to what they would receive from the lower tiers. So I'm not saying these streams are worth the value of $20. But as a package deal with the rewards preceding it, such as the Patron-only blog, our monthly gaming/hangout livestream, and early episode releases, it might conceivably be worth this much to some people.

And, y'know, free market, we'll see if anyone really considers this to be worth their money. If it's not, I can always remove it as a reward (I'd still provide it throughout the month that people did pay for it while it was offered, though). And it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced... Our Patreon page had 4 tiers before we unveiled this new tier, and it was doing fairly well regardless. A lot better than we predicted it would.

I do agree, however, that it just isn't fair to provide this to you guys for free if other people are voluntarily paying for it. I'm okay with the idea of a delayed release, or possibly looking into trimming the video down afterwards and editing a tutorial out of it. Out of curiosity, for anyone here familiar with the work I do, either on PTBS or YGOTAS, is there something specifically you'd like to see how I edit? I made a tutorial for Dartz's hair already, and I liked making it.

(03-20-2016 10:57 PM)Anax Wrote:  Be warned: streaming live to hundreds or thousands is harder and less personal than to the handful who pay you that much per month. Like Yaro said, you could record a session and upload it to YouTube.

I've streamed to hundreds and thousands before and I've streamed to 10 people or less. They are very different beasts, for sure. I think I'm generally more comfortable with the bigger streams, so that there's always something going on, and always someone for me to respond to. But that's just a personal preference.

Anyways, what I can't do is make these completely free. My time is simply worth too much nowadays, again because of free market... I have absolutely no supply and extremely high demand. But at the same time, if I'm willing to stream while editing, I'd like to make it available, at least eventually, to those who would benefit the most from it.

I'll look into a delayed Vimeo password-protected release for AF-goers. And those of you who have me on Skype can always ask me questions directly anyways, so there's no big loss for you to watch it when it isn't live.

And to clarify, Stephan is correct, I am not asking for donations here. The opposite, I'm trying to provide something of value, for free.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)