New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting away from the source material
04-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Getting away from the source material
I've noticed that a big problem I have (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) when writing for shows that I know pretty well is that I have difficulty getting away from the source material, so my script ends up being "The same show I'm abridging with no changes except it has a quality butt joke".

How do you get away from your source material? Generally I just try to put most if not all things related when writing/watching the original episode (without sound or subtitles of course). But sometimes it just doeskin work for me.

Mic: Audio-Technica AT2035 l Twitter l Youtube l Wiki Page

Princess Princess Abridged 2 - Writing

Und Shot - Recording
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: Getting away from the source material
For me, getting away from the source materiel starts with the characters. Then it becomes a science. You have the footage, you can't change that. But the original characters got there because of "X" but how did your characters get there? And from their that's where the math comes in. SCENE + EVENT + PARODIED CHARACTER + A = SCENE 2. just solve for A, and you have yourself an original scene, and you don't have to think real hard about it.

That might just be me though.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes spritestuff's post
04-09-2016, 12:52 PM
I think another good idea is finding your approach and humor to apply to your source material. Often times, I find that having perhaps the same concept of the original with your own characters and approach in humor often has the best results. Do you prefer witty word based dialogue, fast paced insanity, dark and terrible, etc? Applying your humor will change the material to however you need it to be.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0e3-1...eqEv-Tb19Q
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skoringo_Tweets
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Actually, for some reason, I have a tendency to deviate from the source plot more naturally.

For me, I feel like taking a character like Lagann who didn't talk in the original show and give him a voice and thus made a character (which doesn't always work but in this case it did).

Lagann ends up giving me a lot of creative freedom. Having twists and deviations in character personality can help too. I think, however, something that can really affect deviation from source is how well you can edit. Cause if you can edit well then you can make some pretty interesting changes to how things play out in the show.

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)