New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Abridging dying or is it comming back again to stay
04-29-2016, 01:47 AM
Is Abridging dying or is it comming back again to stay
Hi, i used to be really enthusiastic about abridging but its alot of work doing something solo and its a real kick in the nuts when youtube shuts you down before you really have a chance to shine. Also i realized i was nowhere near as good as i thought i was so i came off as somewhat pretentious which had some other problems in itself.

Anyway, I wanna give it another shot, ive actually been writing scripts, noting jokes, etc for quite some time, I even have something planned that could make it big, especially since the company that owns the material died and took the media down with it.

I used to be on box of danger, but that place has pretty much dried up, since i havent been mingling at all in the abridging scene could someone get me up to date with all the important advances, how things are, whats the status of our wonderful culture, and etc, things took a dip i know that much, both because of new youtube policy and many of the really good abridgers leaving with fewer shoes to fill, since all the fundamentals had been covered, pokemon, DBZ, naruto, etc.

How are things going now, how are they going to go? How has abridged culture/communities changed since 2007?

I really want to get up to date here
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2016, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 01:48 PM by LightningCrabz.)
RE: Is Abridging dying or is it comming back again to stay
First off, welcome to the site. Its great that you want to get updated on what's going on in the scene right now, and you've come to the right website for it! However, most of what you want to know can be found by looking through the forums, bro.

If you want to see some of the newer batch of talent, you can look through the Abridged Series Database.
There's plenty of bad stuff in there though, so you may want to browse through the Critiques Section, to hear a second opinion of what is actually worth watching.

If you're interested in things like the culture, or what discussions we've been having about Abridging, we have the General Discussion Section.
This includes the most active part of the website, the Talkback Thread, where we post recent videos and talk about them.

But BEFORE you go posting, I'd HIGHLY encourage you to browse through the Basic Rules. I swear it is short and easy to understand.

And hey, if you feel like introducing yourself to the community, we have the Introduction Thread where you can do so!

TL;DR PLEASE ACTUALLY BROWSE THE FORUMS BEFORE ASKING WHERE STUFF IS, PLEASE.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
[+] 3 users Like LightningCrabz's post
04-30-2016, 04:54 AM
yeah i understand what your saying and while i am strapped for time right now, thats not much of an excuse, but these i cant find back history of things before or outside of the forum and how they come into play, of my brief check i made before feeling i should sign up i couldnt find what i was after, which is just a generalized status on abridging, period, not local abridging relavent to these forums or vice versa, that the forums take an interest in.
Also to make that kind of generalization its more a matter of timing, how you learn things over time by constantly listening for certain things that cant be learned so easily without going through literally hundreds of pages filled with posts and identifying the relavent ones and making connections, basically my options are either ask for a recap or start from the very beginning of abridging itself.

So just a brief idea of anything relavent of the past 10 years would be nice, and the knowledge you only get from years of experience, a feeling for, are things getting better or worse and if the former, is stability expected or not?

Understand what im asking for is like a synopsis of literal *** countries history you can only really understand by being in the country and reading/seeing the news/newspapers each day and experiencing everything socially, not something you can just look up on wikipedia in 5 minutes
04-30-2016, 09:52 AM
(04-29-2016 01:47 AM)oldmanbeefjerky Wrote:  How are things going now, how are they going to go? How has abridged culture/communities changed since 2007?

If you literally mean 2007, then the biggest thing you should know is that a bunch of people got together and created TeamFourStar, a group that abridges Dragon Ball Z and Hellsing Ultimate. They are by far the most popular and the most professional group out there, and through the power of crowdfunding, they even have their own professional studio. Many of the members have actual voice acting credits in Funimation animes.

Lilkuriboh, the guy who makes Yugioh Abridged, is still going strong. He just released a new episode the other day. He also does vlogs and a wrestling comedy show now too.

Since you brought up BoD, I'll go into the various communities: BoxofDanger is dead, TAC is dead, Borinyukami's weird ass social media site is dead, and AbridgedForums is about 6 months to a year away from being totally dead too.

Around 2009-2010, this dude named PurpleEyesWTF started making his Code Geass parody, and because Code Geass parodies were many and plentiful, he decided to change the name from Code Geass Abridged to Code MENT. PurpleEyes has a very high energy style of comedy, and is one of the naturally funniest people in the world, so Code MENT became incredibly popular. Riding on his coattails, however, were a bunch of people trying to imitate his exact style and calling their parodies MENTs. These people, not being as naturally funny as Purps is, ended up making a bunch of shit that's the video equivalent of t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m copypasta. These are still abundant, so don't be surprised if you're looking around here and you see a bunch of videos who's only joke is that people talk very loudly and they edit in explosions.

Another big change community wise has been that abridged series are now very "anime community." I don't know when exactly it happened, but to clarify, when I started a lot of the community were people who enjoyed anime, but mostly at the Adult Swim level. We liked Naruto, Bleach, Evangelion, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop, and maybe you'd find someone who watched it on Sci-Fi or Starz, where Gurren Lagann debuted. Those were the shows we naturally abridged, and many hardcore anime fans looked down their noses on abridged series. Many of the higher ups on the Voice Acting Alliance, for example, were very hostile towards abridged series, saying that they ruined the fandom. If you wanted to be a popular anime fan, you had to make fandubs.

Now that situation's reversed a bit. At some point, all of those "aspiring VAs" realized that fandubs were boring and parodies were where it's at, because you don't have to try as much. This change brought about two things: 1) There is a fuck ton of weeb shit in the community now. You cannot throw a stone without hitting someone talking about which of their favorite light novels are being made into an anime and how much they hate the dub cast because Daisuke Ono played their waifu in the original. 2) Attracting this kind of person means that the stuff they write is very generic, bland and doesn't really deviate from the source material. If you browse around these forums and find a bunch of videos that are very fandubbish, this is part of the reason why.

There's a big change still going on, not just in the abridged community but in all of Youtube. With the rise of the mobile market and smartphones with high data usage, Youtube exploded. This means a couple of things. For one, it's now easier to make a living off of Youtube, so people are trying more and more to get involved in abridging for the reason of profit, which is stupid because you can't monetize them. Second, you'll see a lot of people making video end cards trying to link traffic back to their channel, saying stuff like "like, favorite and subscribe." Due to Youtube changing their search and feature algorithms, it's now harder to break through with a small channel. Whereas Lilkuriboh "liking" your video a few years ago would have brought in a lot of viewers and potentially subscribers, a lot of that power has diminished.

For the abridged community, this, along with the weeb invasion, has led to a lot of people trying to parody brand new animes that haven't even had an entire episode out. You might think this provides some variety, but really it mostly means that instead of having 20,000 Bleach Abridgeds a year, there's now 20,000 I Want To Fuck My Sister But It's Considered Morally Taboo In Most Normal Countries Abridged. Also, abridged series are dead. It's all about one shots or trying to squeeze as much blood out of three episodes of an anime before the new season arrives. Whereas you used to be able to identify people by their series, even if they had a few, you can't do that now. You could say "I know 1Kids, he does Death Note/Pokemon Abridged," or "I know PurpleEyes, he does Code MENT and None Piece." Now it's "I know Eagle8burger, he does...a bunch of shit." Eagle's a friend, so I can pick on him.

Now let's talk about crowdfunding. Kickstarter, Indiegogo, GoFundMe and of course, Patreon. These things are all ubiquitous now, and despite people trying to tell me a year ago that none of these platforms would change anything, they were wrong. Whether it is someone starting their own Patreon, using Indiegogo to try to fund a very stupid project, or promoting their GoFundMe to be able to afford going to a fucking anime convention, it is becoming less and less uncommon to see these being used, which only exacerbates the problems of the paragraph above. But you're not allowed to criticize people who misuse these platforms because the current zeitgeist going around is that you need to support artists, no matter how stupid or misguided they are.

Up to this point I've pointed out a lot of negatives, and there are tons of them, but now I'm going to switch to the more positive changes since 2007.

Resources, advice, and any material you may need are now easier and cheaper than ever to find. In 2008, I had to use torrent roulette to find Inuyasha footage that I would edit in Windows Movie Maker. Now there are hundreds of very quality, very safe Internet trucks that happen to drop anime and free copies of Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere running around all the time. It's easier to find knowledgeable people hanging around, willing to give feedback and help you make your abridged series now too. Even if the community is becoming more decentralized, the relevant people aren't hard to find at all. And for the stuff that you have to buy, like microphones and decent editing rigs, those are much, much cheaper now.

One of the most exciting things for me personally is that it is now easier than ever to dispute copyright claims. Youtube's Content ID system is still shit, probably moreso than back in 2007, but the actual process of getting your videos and your account back from a couple of copyright strikes is safer and less complicated now. As someone who had to deal with this shit constantly, that's a huge deal that not a lot of people appreciate.

Finally, abridged series are higher quality now than ever. There's still a bunch of really bad writing and super cringey jokes out there, but production quality is usually the last thing you'll have to complain about. With the abundance of editing programs and cheaper mid-range mics, abridged series now look and sound better than ever and unless you're an audiophile, you won't have any problem watching them through grainy ass mics. Just compare pretty much any series by one of AF's regulars to a technically advanced for the time series from 2007, and the difference is clear. This might make abridging more exclusive to newbies, but the newbies who do break through tend to be more talented and more able to stick around than abridgers in days past have been.

Those are the major changes in the abridging community since 2007. Abridging itself is fine, but abridging sites and forums may be coming to their end. Skype and other social media has made everything those sites can do, besides giving a platform to really long winded critiques and histories, obsolete. So it goes.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
04-30-2016, 07:26 PM
damn dude!! thanks, with that it looks like im totally up to speed XD

By the way, what of abridging non-anime, like some older live action/normal movies?
I had some great ideas for one of the 60's iterations of call of the wild, and a german marionette show?

Or are those just not that well discussed in places like these?
05-01-2016, 01:54 PM
(04-30-2016 07:26 PM)oldmanbeefjerky Wrote:  damn dude!! thanks, with that it looks like im totally up to speed XD

By the way, what of abridging non-anime, like some older live action/normal movies?
I had some great ideas for one of the 60's iterations of call of the wild, and a german marionette show?

DO THAT SHIT CUZ!!!!

You don't have to limit yourself to anime.

My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dgZgo...ibTvLcmiVg
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Legit, I encourage you to think outside the box and abridge something non-anime. The main issue there is, if it isn't a cartoon, it's harder to deal with lip flaps. That said, if you're able to make it work, this line of thinking could reinvigorate abridged series as a comedy genre. I mean, look at Whose Line is it Anyway's overdub game, or look at MST3K/Rifftrax and RT's new Theater Mode series (the last 3 are less parody abridging and more parody commentary, but still).

_____
Extra voices in EAGLE

Various voices (including Mei, Koichi, etc) in Not Another Abridged Series

If I voice in your series, please credit me as Goose.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gooseguy99
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Matt-Goosherst-...049223783/
05-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Dont forget kung pow enter the fist.

Thing is, ontop of the ridiculous context/imply-able context in some of these movies ive had in mind, most barely sync up as it were anyway, they look like they are redubs even though they were shot in english.

Still, i know how much it sucks in abridged stuff when you have out of physical context dialogue happening in parts with no speech. Ive kept that in mind the whole way.
05-11-2016, 11:04 AM
(04-30-2016 07:26 PM)oldmanbeefjerky Wrote:  By the way, what of abridging non-anime, like some older live action/normal movies?

Actually a few months back this video got posted in the talkback thread and it got a pretty good response, so I'd say abridging live action stuff is perfectly fine to post here.

As a side if the forums seem a little dead thats because a high amount of the usual users have moved to a skype chat, if you're interested in that you might wanna check that thread.

Mic: Audio-Technica AT2035 l Twitter l Youtube l Wiki Page

Princess Princess Abridged 2 - Writing

Und Shot - Recording

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)