New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When does SFX/BGM start taking away from viewing?
05-20-2016, 11:06 PM
When does SFX/BGM start taking away from viewing?
I've been working on a video that is quickly approaching the sound effects and background music editing stage. One thing I've noticed in other abridged videos, that I've seen is that when a video is completely devoid of SFX but then has one out of nowhere completely takes you out of the video and reveals a glaring flaw with it. I want to avoid that as much as possible, but I also know that at a point SFX and BGM can become a detriment by being distracting or not fitting well etc. At what point do you think that SFX starts being a downside instead of an upside?

Mic: Audio-Technica AT2035 l Twitter l Youtube l Wiki Page

Princess Princess Abridged 2 - Writing

Und Shot - Recording
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2016, 04:06 PM
RE: When does SFX/BGM start taking away from viewing?
When you're adding sound effects for every single minute movement happening on screen, like a finger stretching or an eye moving, then you're probably going a little overboard. I imagine it'd be quite difficult to go so far as to make SFX a downside, but I could be wrong. Generally if you just stay with the basic footsteps, doors, chairs etc and ambient sound, no one should face any real issue.

Then again, I might be missing or forgetting something. But that's my opinion.

I drink a lot and it's really ruining my relationships with people.

-Rellik

And I always get the shemp.
06-10-2016, 11:00 AM
I've noticed sometimes too that an overuse of SFX can take away from the comedy sometimes, some abridged series use SFX to good use in order to compliment the jokes they make or even use it as a punchline itself. If you overuse it, sometimes it can take away from the parody aspect.
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2016, 11:09 AM
I still struggle with this balance.

I think it comes down to how it affects the flow of your jokes. A joke told over BGM works different from one with none.

I know I'm a sucker for *music stops* *joke* and I fucking hate that about myself.

Ultimately, I think SFXwise you just have to have an ear for it. If it sounds good, it probably is. If it sounds bad, keep tinkering. It's a lot like music. You can study music theory, but it's still only a theory. Experiment!

Heart ~ I'LL PLAY MYSELF OUT ~ Heart
[Image: Xul_Se.gif]

Editor, Writer, VA
Darker than Black - Hyperabridged
My VA Channel (Sokka Shorts/RANGER DOOWOP)
06-10-2016, 05:43 PM
(06-10-2016 11:09 AM)eagle8burger Wrote:  I know I'm a sucker for *music stops* *joke* and I fucking hate that about myself.

Why do you hate that? Comedic timing and knowing when to use silence, these are big deal things.

Editor for all of An Untitled Abridger.
Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
06-11-2016, 05:06 AM
Because in a sort of way, you're treating the audience like fools. If your writing is good, they should know where the punchline is without you making it absolutely obvious to them that the punchline is coming up (i.e. music stop).

Not saying that technique is BAD. Just using it excessively is not the way to get your punchlines across. But I'm sure everyone knows that already.

[Image: NINExTAILEDxDEE.png]
I do D.Gray-Man and Blazblue: Slice of Life

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEEsidia97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DEEsidia
06-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Sorry, I thought we were talking about something else entirely.
For pacing reasons, having portions of your video where there isn't music playing can be utilized quite effectively. But that isn't what we were talking about. Whoops

Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
06-11-2016, 01:08 PM
(06-11-2016 05:06 AM)DEEsidia97 Wrote:  Because in a sort of way, you're treating the audience like fools. If your writing is good, they should know where the punchline is without you making it absolutely obvious to them that the punchline is coming up (i.e. music stop).

In that case, removing music altogether except for serious scenes and transitions sounds necessary. Can anyone refer me to a sitcom where music is used underneath a punchline? It just doesn't happen, as far as I know. Excluding instances where the music is the joke, such as an exaggerated faux-dramatic, slow-motion shot, where dialogue is usually absent anyways.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
06-11-2016, 05:57 PM
That seems like a pretty faulty comparison.
Okay, for one, who here likes sitcoms enough to remember enough about them to immediately be like "oh yeah the music in this one scene was great" two who in their right mind thinks that abridges are supposed to be like sitcoms.

Moreover, there are plenty of comedy -movies- (which are still not what abridging is but closer) and of them I can recall music being used. Hot Fuzz had tons-o-music.

Lastly, why would we need to be handcuffed by how mainstream shit chooses to do comedy, even if it turned out that nobody uses music in comedy--why would that matter at all?

06-12-2016, 10:30 AM
(06-11-2016 05:57 PM)ToNi Wrote:  Okay, for one, who here likes sitcoms enough to remember enough about them to immediately be like "oh yeah the music in this one scene was great" two who in their right mind thinks that abridges are supposed to be like sitcoms.

The probable fact we don't know enough about sitcoms to compare our series to, different style of comedy notwithstanding, is probably part of our problem.

Hot Fuzz was a good movie. Worth study.

(06-11-2016 05:57 PM)ToNi Wrote:  Lastly, why would we need to be handcuffed by how mainstream shit chooses to do comedy, even if it turned out that nobody uses music in comedy--why would that matter at all?

Because mainstream is popular, and we're not. We have something to learn from them.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)