New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and Question About the Medium
07-15-2016, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 01:33 PM by Babble.)
New and Question About the Medium
Hi everyone,

I was recently challenged to think about what I would do if I were to make an Abridged series. I'm a writer that usually writes prose, poetry, and comic scripts, so video editing is a little outside my comfort zone. With that said, I'm interested in at least trying to meet the challenge.

The technical aspects of making a video seem "easy" enough; the really challenge is coming up with the content.

I've watched a few Abridged series before (namely the big titles) and dabbled in smaller, lesser known titles as well. I know the medium is basically to parody the show or genre of whatever's being Abridged. A lot of the titles I've watched--especially the lesser known ones--always seem to want to jump to the next joke and forsake plot.

My question is this, would you watch a series that doesn't try to be funny all the time? Would you watch a series that's still tongue-in-cheek and satirizing the original content while at the same time still trying to tell a good story? One with pathos and ethos?

Is an Abridged series only good when it's keeping up with jokes? Is something with a little more "meat" even an Abridged series?

Thanks for entertaining my musings!

EDIT: I meant to post this in general. A glorious start!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Babble's post
07-15-2016, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 06:36 PM by ToNi.)
RE: New and Question About the Medium
I would definitely watch a series that doesn't necessarily try to be funny all the time.
I'd watch any type of abridged series you could possibly come up with, as long as it peaks my interest. I watch them to be entertained. Many people pigeonhole the entire medium into being explicitly comedy, but my jaw would drop if an abridged series could make me cry.

EDIT: Do you have a Twitter? I'd love to follow anyone who wants to shake things up in this niche.

Editor for all of An Untitled Abridger.
Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
07-16-2016, 01:48 PM
(07-15-2016 01:30 PM)Babble Wrote:  My question is this, would you watch a series that doesn't try to be funny all the time?

Check out Leroygendary's Inazuma Abridged for #TIBA. I think he did an amazing job at making a very watchable video without it being 80-100% comedy.

In all honesty, I would love it if we could get to the point where abridged series could be enjoyed with as much comedy as people are expecting, the problem is that people are expecting joke after joke. It's been, for a while, assumed that an abridged series has to be 80%+ comedy and while I agree it should have humour in it somewhere I don't think it always needs to be THAT comedy focused.

The thing is, comedy is the easiest way to get an audience interested in your video so coming up with a different way to attract your viewer without using too many jokes becomes challenging so you tend not to see it in abridged videos. And while comedy may be the easiest method to entertain people, its certainly possible to doing something other than comedy and entertain them MORE.

So ultimately... I guess it's how good you are at writing...

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
07-16-2016, 11:39 PM
If you want to make a dramatic story, write a book. No one wants to watch your fandubbed anime fanfiction.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
07-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful responses, ToNi and AnimeLawyers. I agree with you that there are expectations for the medium that can be challenged in interesting ways. I think the main thing about an abridged series should be about playing with your audience's expectations, especially if you're abridging a work that a lot of people are familiar with. It's all about the fine line.

ToNi, the gears are in motion. My collaborator and I are scripting the first episode. Social media is something that will come later!

(07-16-2016 11:39 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  If you want to make a dramatic story, write a book. No one wants to watch your fandubbed anime fanfiction.

Could you tell me why you think this? I wouldn't call what I have planned fandubbed fanfiction at all. Why do you think an abridged series can't be serious and silly at the same time?
07-17-2016, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 03:17 AM by HarrysFiddlesticks.)
With fandubbing fanfiction you will reach a far little of an audience then when you write a book. you will also not get any good criticism from the fandubbing/fanficiton community because they already love the world you are trying to expand, not the world you are trying to create. don't surround yourself with yes-men.
If you make something new you will meet more obstacles you can learn from, instead of doing the same thing everybody else does.
I know this sounds a bit of hypocritical on AF since most of the people here work with other people's work, but that's why quite a few of us try to expand our horizons creative wise.

YouTube channel: HarrysFiddlesticks
Twitter: @HarryFiddlestik

[Image: sTQCk44.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2016, 10:13 AM
(07-17-2016 12:03 AM)Babble Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 11:39 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  If you want to make a dramatic story, write a book. No one wants to watch your fandubbed anime fanfiction.

Could you tell me why you think this? I wouldn't call what I have planned fandubbed fanfiction at all. Why do you think an abridged series can't be serious and silly at the same time?

Because one of two things is going to happen: 1) Either you're going to make a brand new dramatic plot using anime footage, which is pointless, or 2) You're going to make a serious retelling of the original plot with a few jokes, aka fandub fanfiction. There's nothing wrong when a comedy has some pathos, but trying to make a parody where the goal isn't fundamentally humor is stupid.

If a book is too hard, go team up with an artist and make your own comic.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
07-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Dearest Truth,most abridges are filled with sex jokes or dumb humor in reaction to the events immediately on screen. I'm thinking he means something with bit more character driven plot or darker subject matter. I think the closest one to that on AF is Stephan's Abridge on Titan.

07-17-2016, 11:49 AM
I absolutely agree with your last point that making a parody that's not fundamentally humorous is pointless. I'll also say what I have in mind is not a dramatic retelling of the story. I definitely wouldn't call it fandubbed fanfiction.

I just think the abridging community should try to aim a little higher than trying to jump from a meta joke to a sex joke and back to a meta joke without investing in trying to tell the story? Make it funny but also try to keep people invested? That's part of the reason I keep watching DBZ abridged because they're still telling the story while keeping it funny.
07-17-2016, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 04:44 PM by ToNi.)
I wouldn't necessarily pay attention to the established 'authorities' in this forum, as it's kind of hard to have new ideas if you got respect for doing a particular type of idea.

EDIT: Sorry, let me be less vague. Truthordeal, you've provided a lot of statements like "x is stupid" "it's dumb" or "these are the only two ways it could happen, and both are bad" but without actually providing any logic, reasoning, or citation for why anything you're saying is true.

"trying to make a parody where the goal isn't fundamentally humor is stupid."
Why is that stupid? There is no stated reason.

"No one wants to watch your fandubbed anime fanfiction."
Explanation? Aren't abridged series already fandubbed anime fanfiction, just ones that are funnier?
If you can prove that nobody wants to watch that ((which you can't, for example: I totally want to watch that)), you'd need to also provide a logical basis for why it's a bad thing to try anyway. Maybe if you can make a fandubbed anime fanfiction so well that you can turn a few minds and get people interested in the subject.

Essentially, your posts come off as an old man being like "no! change is bad! do not try anything new!" You're stifling creativity and it's not helpful to the community, sit the fuck down.

Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
[+] 1 user Likes ToNi's post
07-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Well if you're making a parody and your first aim isn't to be funny, then can it really be called a parody?

I don't fully agree with Truth, but he has a point. Yes, you can still convey the narrative of the source materials story through your scripts, but focusing too much on that and not the comedic aspect of your abridged series is indeed dumb as it loses all meaning to a "parody". I'm all for telling a story and all, but don't lose the actual reason as to why you're making your abridged series. Like, I want to do the D.Gray-Man anime justice by conveying the story better than the actual anime did, but I still remember that there has to be a balance.

(07-17-2016 04:37 PM)ToNi Wrote:  Aren't abridged series already fandubbed anime fanfiction, just ones that are funnier?
Well, no. It's satire. Basically rewriting the show to make it funnier (Well, that's SOME peoples aims). Making fun of it, if you will. I don't think you can compare it to fanfiction as that's not really what satire is about.

Like Truth said, if you wanna REALLY want to tell a story, just make something original. A short film, a novel, a poem if you will.

[Image: NINExTAILEDxDEE.png]
I do D.Gray-Man and Blazblue: Slice of Life

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEEsidia97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DEEsidia
07-17-2016, 06:01 PM
(07-17-2016 05:55 PM)DEEsidia97 Wrote:  Well if you're making a parody and your first aim isn't to be funny, then can it really be called a parody?

I don't fully agree with Truth, but he has a point. Yes, you can still convey the narrative of the source materials story through your scripts, but focusing too much on that and not the comedic aspect of your abridged series is indeed dumb as it loses all meaning to a "parody". I'm all for telling a story and all, but don't lose the actual reason as to why you're making your abridged series.

WHY.
Why is "it must focus on being funny" your end-all-be-all of abridged serieses?
Why?
Why does that make the abridged lose meaning?

Here's the thing: You say it'll make it lose meaning, but where are your examples? Why is it impossible to do the thing you're discouraging, and make it be goddamn great? What's going to happen if someone does the thing you're saying is dumb, but it turns out to be fucking amazing? Trick question, someone's already done it. See the bottom of this post.

Why do you feel the need to limit a medium that is already itself limited? It's limited by animation, it doesn't need you people to limit people's creativity of stories that they want to tell.

Also, some more rebutting of truth's post from earlier:

(07-17-2016 10:13 AM)Truthordeal Wrote:  1) Either you're going to make a brand new dramatic plot using anime footage, which is pointless, or 2) You're going to make a serious retelling of the original plot with a few jokes, aka fandub fanfiction.
1: TFS's World's Strongest legitimately makes a brand new dramatic plot using anime footage, which was FUCKING AMAZING
2: Faulerro's Higurashi abridged legitimately makes a serious retelling of the original plot with a few jokes, AND IT WORKS LIKE GODDAMN MAGIC.

WHY would you discourage people try to do this, if it can actually provide great results? Stop limiting people's creativity.

[+] 2 users Like ToNi's post
07-17-2016, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 08:19 PM by EricDubyu.)
Babble just do yourself a favor and make what you want to make. Depending on the reception of it, you'll change/keep what you want based on what you want to abridge for. My friend BlackMageBrad does almost verbatim what you're wanting to do and people seem to like it alright and most importantly he enjoys it. If you come in here asking what people want they're all going to get into an argument about what it means to "abridge".

My 2 cents, if your episodes are shorter than the content it's covering do whatever the hell you want. You've successfully "abridged" the content.
[+] 3 users Like EricDubyu's post
07-17-2016, 11:06 PM
(07-17-2016 08:19 PM)EricDubyu Wrote:  My 2 cents, if your episodes are shorter than the content it's covering do whatever the hell you want. You've successfully "abridged" the content.

I concur.

"Abridge" ought not be synonymous with parody or satire; however, I'm glad my first post created a spirited debate!

My partner and I are storyboarding the first episode for a new Digimon Tamers abridged series. We loved Tamers as kids and gained a new appreciation for the show after rewatching it for its fifteenth anniversary. While there's plenty to parody and humorously reimagine, we thought we could add our own spin on the show's plot as well.

Let's see how far we get.
07-17-2016, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 02:14 PM by Truthordeal.)
For the record, in my first post I was responding more to Toni and Quiz than Babble. Quiz specifically, because in our many years of friendship, he has brought up this idea that abridged series can be not-comedies and I have always rejected that. The second post was responding to Babble's responding question. I don't have a problem with anything Babble's said, because Babble's method is exactly how me and my team used to parody Sands of Destruction. It's sad as hell that people think putting more than sex and meta jokes into an abridged series is a new concept, because it was well-trodden ground in most of the "harsh critiques" that this place was known for.

Now on the other hand, since Toni apparently needs things explained to him, here's a response to that:

Quote:"trying to make a parody where the goal isn't fundamentally humor is stupid."
Why is that stupid? There is no stated reason.

par�o�dy
?per?d?/
noun
an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.
verb
produce a humorously exaggerated imitation of (a writer, artist, or genre).

Parodies inherently include comedy and humor. That's why it's stupid not to make a parody that's meant to be fundamentally humorous. Office Space was a parody of white collar workplaces. It's a comedy. It has serious moments, but if it were just a movie about a dude going to work with no parodic element it would've been stupid.

Quote:"No one wants to watch your fandubbed anime fanfiction."
Explanation? Aren't abridged series already fandubbed anime fanfiction, just ones that are funnier?

In the same sense that Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman or SNL are fanfiction, sure.

Quote:If you can prove that nobody wants to watch that ((which you can't, for example: I totally want to watch that)),

Well then, I'm stuck in a tautology. Guess I'm out of luck.

Here's a thought though: Just watch anime. It's apparently what you want to see. And hey, this way you can see stuff made by professional directors and writers, not by hackish 18 year olds on Youtube.

Quote:Essentially, your posts come off as an old man being like "no! change is bad! do not try anything new!" You're stifling creativity and it's not helpful to the community, sit the fuck down.

I've lifted 60 lbs bales that had less straw content than that. Suggesting that it's a foolish effort to make a parody where you rework everything to be a serious new story is literally stifling innovation in the abridged community, apparently. Not the reuse of old stock phrases or the overreliance of sex jokes and YELLING PUNCHLINES. No, that's not what's keeping things in the stone ages; telling people that they misunderstand the fundamental nature of a "parody" is.

If you want innovation, go look at some of the #TIBA entries. Or hell, go look at Duchess' thread on scene editing. She's doing magical shit with photoshop that's imitatable and could really make a huge difference in how videos are made.

(07-17-2016 06:01 PM)ToNi Wrote:  1: TFS's World's Strongest legitimately makes a brand new dramatic plot using anime footage, which was FUCKING AMAZING
2: Faulerro's Higurashi abridged legitimately makes a serious retelling of the original plot with a few jokes, AND IT WORKS LIKE GODDAMN MAGIC.

WHY would you discourage people try to do this, if it can actually provide great results? Stop limiting people's creativity.

Both of those are comedies, dude. Did you not notice the jokes, meta-gags and humorous dialog tied in with all of the action sequences, or did you just think that because there were a few changes to the plot and fewer jokes per minute than your normal abridging video that that means TFS made a whole new dramatic story?

For what it's worth, I do regret having turned your thread into a shit-flinging contest, Babble. I don't disagree with anything you have said and I hope you stay on your path.

Now if you folks will excuse me, I'm off to rework Uta no Prince Sama into a Nietzschean psychological thriller and call it a parody.

(07-17-2016 11:06 PM)Babble Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 08:19 PM)EricDubyu Wrote:  My 2 cents, if your episodes are shorter than the content it's covering do whatever the hell you want. You've successfully "abridged" the content.

I concur.

"Abridge" ought not be synonymous with parody or satire;

Well this has been the quickest I've gone from complete agreement to grave disappointment.

[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
07-17-2016, 11:55 PM

I concur.

"Abridge" ought not be synonymous with parody or satire; however, I'm glad my first post created a spirited debate!

My partner and I are storyboarding the first episode for a new Digimon Tamers abridged series. We loved Tamers as kids and gained a new appreciation for the show after rewatching it for its fifteenth anniversary. While there's plenty to parody and humorously reimagine, we thought we could add our own spin on the show's plot as well.

Let's see how far we get.

Good luck mate. Abridging can be as much fun as you allow it to be. It's got a good community of talented people who can help you so long as you ignore their egos and be mindful of their opinions. End of the day enjoy what you make that's all that should matter.
07-18-2016, 01:24 AM
(07-17-2016 11:13 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  

I concur.

"Abridge" ought not be synonymous with parody or satire;

Well this has been the quickest I've gone from complete agreement to grave disappointment.

Ha! At the end of the day, it all comes down to an argument over semantics. The Abridged medium or genre (or whatever) carries the connotation of parody or humor; however, the actual word literally means shortening another work. Hopefully once my partner and I get to work splicing together the first episode Tamers, you'll see that there's plenty of humor being implemented. She and I just favor a subtler humor and (perhaps) a higher form of satire than what we've experienced in our brief jaunt into the abridging world.

No hard feelings over shit-flinging. I was worried my thread might get one or two lukewarm responses and the be ignored! I've genuinely enjoyed all the points brought up here.
[+] 1 user Likes Babble's post
07-18-2016, 03:40 AM
(07-18-2016 01:24 AM)Babble Wrote:  Ha! At the end of the day, it all comes down to an argument over semantics.

In that case, go make something instead of wasting your time in this discussion. Looks more like you are actually looking for yes-men. Go do something productive.

YouTube channel: HarrysFiddlesticks
Twitter: @HarryFiddlestik

[Image: sTQCk44.gif]
07-18-2016, 11:52 AM
(07-17-2016 11:13 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Quiz specifically, because in our many years of friendship, he has brought up this idea that abridged series can be not-comedies and I have always rejected that.

I've never said that one should make a completely non-comedy. I'm perfectly aware that people expect comedy far too much for that.

What I usually talk about is allowing the ratio between comedy and other genres to change such as going from 90% comedy to 70% or 60%. The specific numbers don't matter, my point was an episode does not need to be as comedy focused as people make it out to be.

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)