New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edited eye movements question
08-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Edited eye movements question
So I have made 3 attempts so far at editing eye movements that can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuMbX8EP80A at 2:08, 2:42 and 4:29.

Basically what I did was cut out the pupil in photoshop, fill in the blank spot left behind and then put both images in premiere and do the movement there.

My two biggest issues are the sharpness of the cut pupil and the color of the white background in the eye. I supposed I can try softening the pupil but the white of the eye is quite annoying. It seems impossible to achieve a natural looking color for the blank spot you're filling in (to the point where i just filled in the entire eye with the same white color which looks unnatural). Is there something I'm missing here or is it because of the shitty converted vhs quality of my source footage?

Ideally I would like to get my eye movements to the level of say Asuna's eye movement in episode 9 of SAO abridged
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 07:14 AM
RE: Edited eye movements question
Make sure you color match the "white" to the frame. If you're having trouble color matching, you can mask out the eye portion for the entire scene to remove the color change. Feather your edges, and watch your movement speed and transition. If you slow down your eye movement and add a bit of a curve, it should seem smoother. Also, make sure the pupil doesn't leave the bounds of the eye (4:32).

Remember that you are working with old footage, so there will be minor differences between the frames that cause camera shake and color changes. Some of your lipflap frames change the entire image, while others have only the moving parts (like the mouth/eyes) isolated. The difference is visually jarring. Pick one style, and use it consistently, else the viewer's focus will be drawn to the differences of your edits.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes codeblackhayate's post
08-10-2016, 10:38 AM
RE: Edited eye movements question
Yeah that camera shake got on my nerves quite a few times. I masked in a different pose of a character and the rest of the frame was just shaking uncontrollably around it. It's jarring for me as an editor but so far it seems the uninitiated don't notice it that much (or the fact that I switched recording rooms half way through the episode and it sounds completely different).
I usually only use masking for lip flaps if I'm taking the flaps from another frame or if there's movement (the bane of an editors existence).
I suppose I should cut each pupil individually to avoid 4:32.
Thanks for the advice. Will use it in episode 2.
Just received my forth dislike Rock
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)