New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let Me Judge Your Shit (Trust Me, I'm a Doktor)
09-25-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 11:16 AM by DoktorApplejuce.)
Let Me Judge Your Shit (Trust Me, I'm a Doktor)
Hey, how's it going? I'm DoktorApplejuce; an abridger. I don't pretend to be perfect at what I do; I'm simply some dude who's made his own parodies as well as his fair share of mistakes. But, I try to learn from them, and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes as well.

There won't be any grading system or numerical value to any review I give; I'll simply let you know where I felt you triumphed, and where I felt you needed work. And, I'll be as honest as I can about it.

The specific components of your work I'll be looking at are:

Voice Acting - Do your VAs know how to emote properly without going overboard? Do their voices fit the character they portray? Are they recording on some garbage, built-in laptop or cellphone mic?

Visual Edits - Do the lip-flaps match the voices? Do any of your custom lip-flaps stand out as not belonging? Is there a lack of consistency in each scene (such as people or objects seemingly teleporting around the room)? As well as anything else that would fall under the broad umbrella of visual edits.

Audio Edits - Do all the voices sound level? Are any of the sound effects or background music overpowering dialogue? Are there even sound effects?

And, the most important aspect of an abridged series, and, consequently, the most difficult to properly judge.

Writing - There are no "golden rules" of comedy; anyone who thinks that there's some sort of mathematical equation to deciding whether or not something is funny doesn't understand comedy and how entirely subjective it is. But, I'll try and help point out just what parts I felt might need a bit of a tweak and which parts I felt hit the nail on the head.

Now, that all being said, post away! Oh, but first, let's set a couple quick ground rules:
1 - Only post full episodes
2 - Don't post anything I was a part of.
3 - Only one episode at a time. If you want me to judge more than one, wait until I've finished judging your most recent post.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Let Me Judge Your Shit (Trust Me, I'm a Doktor)
"There are no "golden rules" of comedy; anyone who thinks that there's some sort of mathematical equation to deciding whether or not something is funny is an idiot"

If you want someone to tell you the equation you should ask more politely.

Go see Age of Inside Out.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes spritestuff's post
09-26-2016, 04:02 AM
(09-25-2016 06:13 PM)DoktorApplejuce Wrote:  There are no "golden rules" of comedy; anyone who thinks that there's some sort of mathematical equation to deciding whether or not something is funny doesn't understand comedy and how entirely objective it is.

I think you meant to say "subjective".

YOUR ALL DICKS
09-26-2016, 05:43 AM
I NEED AN EXTRA VIEW.

EARL of BASSINGTON
Vidyas and Other Nonsense

HA x HA #4 (Hunter x Hunter Parody Series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vOUsaA_kM
2015 Demo Reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFznIGTSEU
09-26-2016, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 11:45 AM by DoktorApplejuce.)
(09-26-2016 04:02 AM)Uraby210 Wrote:  I think you meant to say "subjective".

Yes. Yes I did. Thank you.

(09-26-2016 05:43 AM)Earl of Bassington Wrote:  I NEED AN EXTRA VIEW.

Wow, that was absolutely solid. I thoroughly enjoyed it; gonna have a tough time coming up with negative feedback for this one.

Voice Acting - No complaints here; everything was well-done on this front. I normally dislike the whole Monty Python style of men doing women voices, like with the character at 0:23, but in this case, it worked. It wasn't too shrill as to become grating or unintelligible.

Visual Edits
- Again, solid. Not much to complain about here. You clearly know what you're doing, and the lip flaps looked perfect. The Solid Snake and (what I'm assuming is) Street Fighter overlays were a nice touch.

The only negative criticism I'd give is during the scene that starts at 4:14, Sebastian is stuck with knives, and then there are subsequent shots where the knives are missing, before they reappear. It's a minor detail, so it's not really integral to making or breaking the episode, but it's really the only thing that stood out to me as needing work.

Audio Edits - Again, great work. Hats off for using Diablo String Orchestra, by the way. Only thing I'd say is that there are some moments where the cloth movement sound effect is way too loud. For example, at 5:10, the character on screen barely moves, there should probably not be any fabric sounds at all, especially none that loud.

Writing - This episode was very well made; the pacing was perfect, and you clearly have a firm grasp on your own comedic style. And, as someone who has never seen Black Butler, I was still able to follow the plot, even despite this not being the first episode. I honestly can't offer any negative feedback on this front.

[+] 1 user Likes DoktorApplejuce's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)