New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
10-23-2011, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 11:33 AM by DrMircow.)
Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
While I was in the shower, I just dropped the soap and suddenly, this idea came in my mind.

Actually, it didn't happen that way... Awesome Face

Anyway, yesterday I just thought of something pretty brilliant and a rip-off in the same time. First of all, we all use forums to discuss about abridged series nowadays because it's the best place to post your own hateful criticism without the creators knowing about it. Just joking, although quite true.

So, my idea was to somehow come up with a website where you can review and rate any existent abridged series possible. And the best review meter is the one on Rotten Tomatoes, hence the rip-off part.

I was thinking of having something like this: a section where you can review abridged series as a whole, then individual episodes and finally abridgers.

The rating system will work similar to Rotten Tomatoes' one. You can write a review and/or rate from 0.5 stars to 5 stars. 3.5 and above means that you like it. The overall score will be based on how many people liked it. In other words, exactly as the one on Rotten Tomatoes.

Moreover, each abridged series will have some sort of homepage, where you can check their history, user reviews, videos and so on.

Hopefully this would be more appealing to people than going on a forum. Plus, the review system is pretty fair. Rather than giving obscure scores like 7.7/10 or having the overall score downgraded by a troll who gave a 1.5/10 for the sake of it, it's all based on how many liked it or not. A person who gave a score of 5 stars isn't too different than someone who gave it a 3.5 because both count as a Like. But you all know that.

Unfortunately, it's not going to be easy to create such a website without a solid knowledge of website creation. Also, I'm only suggesting to have this kind of website, so I'm not forcing anyone to do it for me. Although, I prefer to see one, one day.

I even made a prototype logo for it due to boredom:

[Image: rottenabridged_avatar_large.png]

I personally might give it ago, although I can't guarantee that I'll finish it any time soon. Oh, and this forum can be an affiliate or something,

So, any opinions?

[Image: petewave.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DrMircow's post
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
RE: Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
I'm down with that idea. I'm getting back into reviewing music after a few years, so any excuse to vent my spleen on Abridging as well will definitely get some involvement from me.
[+] 1 user Likes ThornBrain's post
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I can't see how this would be helpful to...anyone.

To abridgers, especially the ones that care about criticism, forums like these are the best. You can give criticism and expound upon it in better detail than on Youtube, and since you're away from the masses you can say what you like without worrying about being labeled a troll for bucking the popular consensus. And pretty much all of the people willing to review stuff within this community are already on either this forum, TAC or BoD.

Now I'll give you three reasons why this system works better than your idea would:

1) Each approach to "enrollment" has it's own problems. If you open it to everyone, you won't get any reviews from anyone except the typical TFS/LK/whoevers that have that mass appeal. So it'd be pointless. If you open it to just abridgers, than the excessive dramu and political bullshit will kill it. Scourgemaster93 is someone who consistently makes great material, but if this were just restricted to the "abridging elite" so to speak, all of his stuff would get crapped on constantly because of some stuff he did a few years ago. Conversely you have people like Borinyukami and these "abridged hipsters" who will, undoubtedly, kill any meaningful way of rating TFS and LK. And then of course, you've got the wokproabridgers and thesagascouncil who will mercilessly upvote their own stuff. If you just limit it to a few people that you respect, then what's really the point? On these forums you at least have the option of responding to someone who's being a petty jackass and telling him that he is being so, and then voicing your own opinion.

2) With quantitative reviews, you'll run into the same problem as anyone with a number-system will: People will be too scared to vote something below a 3.5, because that would make it seem like a "failing" grade. It's a very common phenomenon among gaming magazines. On this forum, you have the "liking" of a post feature, which can help bolster a good review, but the emphasis is on explaining why you think the way you do and that leads to actual discussion.

3) RottenTomatos helps people because movies cost money, either to rent or to go see in a theatre. Abridged series don't cost anything except for the amount of RAM you expend and your time. So the "need" isn't really there, and the like-dislike feature on Youtube serves this purpose already(as I'm sure that if you were to put this thing up, open it to the masses and let them vote on abridgers, they're "score" would reflect their like-dislike ratio).

So honestly, I think it'd be a waste of time. I'd just stick with the "serious review" sections of this forum and getting whatever "data" from Youtube.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Truthordeal's post
10-23-2011, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 03:25 PM by DrMircow.)
Very strong (and valid) arguments, Truth.

My main aim was to make all the abridged series possible accessible to everyone because not everyone has the time to search for them on YouTube. Some people might not know that there's an abridged version of their favourite show on the Internet. Plus, most are quite 'hidden' behind those 'corners' of the Internet, if you catch my drift. But yeah, I know that there are people who search the whole Internet for them and are subscribed to literally hundreds of them.

I just wanted something where people can go to a homepage and see the latest series/episodes in just a matter of seconds, just like a video game website. I, for example, haven't seen that many abridged series mostly because I have no inceptive to search for a specific show on YouTube. I only check them if someone tells me about them or see them somewhere specifically. Therefore with this, they can see the ratings or what's the hottest thing in the community lately and so on, all in short period of time.

Technically, what I'm saying here is pretty much aimed towards people with a low IQ, because honestly, it's not that hard to find SOMETHING on YouTube, but again, I'm was thinking to make a bit more appealing and accessible.

But you did raise some good points regarding this potential website. That's why I wanted to hear your opinions first, guys.

By the way, sort of off-topic now, but I think the last spammer on this forum messed around with the database ratings. I noticed a drastic drop in people's series score. It could be just me, but I do remember seeing some scores being pretty high, for example ThornBrain's series, unless people actually decided to rate stuff now... pretty badly.

[+] 1 user Likes DrMircow's post
10-23-2011, 03:50 PM
(10-23-2011 03:22 PM)DrMircow Wrote:  By the way, sort of off-topic now, but I think the last spammer on this forum messed around with the database ratings. I noticed a drastic drop in people's series score. It could be just me, but I do remember seeing some scores being pretty high, for example ThornBrain's series, unless people actually decided to rate stuff now... pretty badly.

I just noticed that -_-

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
10-30-2011, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2012 01:20 PM by DrMircow.)
And the website is up! Sort of...

This is just a prototype, mostly to test the UI of the website, hence the links don't work at all. Plus, there's just one page yet, the homepage.

Now to make a few things clear. This may either fail or succeed depending on how things go according to my plans, so bare with me.

First of all, I totally agree with the points Truthordeal has risen. I'm not dismissing them. Actually I'm using them to avoid the potential 'damage' that they could cause in the near future, if you catch my drift. I do believe it's possible to create and maintain such a thing if there's determination and commitment involved.

Secondly, there are two options available. I either make this my own personal review website where I make my own reviews, which would be a bit selfish in a way, but this way I can have full control on the stuff featured with no stupid deadlines to annoy me. The other option is to have a group of experienced people/abridgers taking part in this as some sort of Editors. In other words, think as if it were a video game website like Gamespot where you have Editors who review stuff individually. The good thing about this is that it would give reviews a bit more perspective, and other stuff which I can't think of at the moment.

With the second option, the main problem is that I can't make a website where the Editors can log on the website and post their own reviews for example. Thus, they'll have to send me their material and I'll put it on the website manually. Sounds tedious work, for me, but my HTML knowledge isn't at that sort of level, yet. So we'll have to stick to this.

Yes, users will be able to rate and post their own reviews, but momentarily as comments (for the reviews thing). Moreover, the reviews would be only as video reviews. I think reading plain-text can be a bit boring, so probably a commentary of an episode or a series should do the trick. With the pros, cons and rating at the end of the video.

Also, before anyone asks, the slideshow is just to test the feature, so ignore the random colourful pictures there. By the way, the 'Submit' button is for users to send requests regarding what series Rotten Abridged should check/review in the near future. I might change it to 'Request' instead.

Thirdly, I personally want people to take part in this. I'm fine with making it my own website, if that's the case in the end, but I would be a bit more happy knowing that there's some teamwork around.

Fourthly, I'm in no way trying to steal visitors with this from sites like AbridgedForum or Box of Danger. In contrary, I would like to see this approved as an affiliate or something.

Lastly, by the end of the day, even if this may not get the green light from most of you here, although from what I've seen so far it's a fairly positive reaction, I'm still going to probably fully launch this thing in the near future; at least giving it a ago. If it fails badly, then I'll simply stop it. However, I already have plan on how everything will look like and work, so fingers crossed.

I apologies for my long speech here, but I just wanted to let people know what my intentions are. Because this is still at an alpha stage, I'm still want feedback from you. I'll give you more info on what sort of features it will have soon though.

I genuinely want to make the community a better place for abridgers and people to enjoy.

Anyway, here's the link:

Any feedback is welcomed.

P.S. Don't blame me for the crappy subdomain. Blame the hosting bot for picking it, randomly. However, you can blame me for not having money to pay for a domain.

11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I like the site. It seems like you put a good deal of design work into this and you appear to have a goal in mind and a plan to get there.

I know literally nothing about programming or html, so the actual site building aspect of this has me stumped. I can't give really any advice or criticism on that, and if you want someone to help(which I'm inferring from your post, though I may be wrong) there are plenty a very experienced people around.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
11-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Much appreciated, Truth.

12-26-2011, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 03:29 PM by DrMircow.)
Just a small update on this project.
  • I managed to get the rating system to work, which is a good thing. However, I still have to figure out a way to block spammers in case of messing up the ratings. Otherwise, I can go with the "freedom of speech" approach in case of spammers, ie. Metacritic's user scores. Other than that, I'm very pleased with this.
  • Before I start anything seriously, I will like to know from someone with a good knowledge of copyright infringements whether "Rotten Abridged" and all of these names infringe RottenTomatoes' rights. Honestly, all of this is a rip-off of RottenTomatoes, but I was wondering if I can get a way with it being a fan-made, non-commercial, etc. website. Thanks.
  • Made a gallery on my deviantART account with all the important images and stuff that I'll be using. In other words, I just made two new icons. Feedback is welcomed.
  • The website is under maintenance at the moment until further notice, hence it can not be accessed. Those who had the chance to check the alpha version, well, you know how it looked.
  • I will be using this thread for small updates regarding the project from time to time. The only reason I'm working on it right now is because I'm on holiday, so I have some time to do as much done as possible. Afterwards, I might need to put this project on hold again.
  • I strongly recommend to give me feedback on this, folks. Thanks.

12-26-2011, 03:55 PM
The icons look nice DrMircow. Hopefully the site will do great.

(02-18-2012 12:30 PM)Airrest Wrote:  There's a certain charm to it that I don't think most people, even on this forum, are going to get or like.
http://www.youtube.com/2GuysAnd1More Swear
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Maybe come up with a different name? Given the current state of IP enforcement, it'd be easier to have something in the free and clear, than to risk defending fair use in court.

12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
(12-26-2011 09:23 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  Maybe come up with a different name? Given the current state of IP enforcement, it'd be easier to have something in the free and clear, than to risk defending fair use in court.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Thanks.

12-27-2011, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2011 09:41 AM by DrMircow.)
Probably not as good as the first one, albeit unoriginal, but I tried to come up with new names:
  • Wannabe Abridged - Slightly insulting to newcomers. And meh.
  • Abridged World - Too redundant/obvious.
  • Abridged United - Maybe.
  • Abridgination - Sounds alright, but in the same time it feels that it has been used before.
  • What... Abridged? - I tried to make it like a question, but I think it failed.
If you have better original and more appealing names, please feel free to post them here. All is welcomed. Otherwise, I'll pick one of the above and stick with it. Thanks.

EDIT:

Pun names would be great, as long as they are:
  • Not insulting, but relatively funny.
  • Pretty obvious.
  • Related to abridgement.

12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
"Is It A Good Idea To Abridge This?"

for your trying to make a question out of it.

Downside is (1) its long and (2) its kinda ripping off the microwave show XD

"Abridges R Us"

meh

"The Abridged Square"

sounds like a newspaper.

Those are the ideas I came up with right now, maybe I'll think of more Tongue

[Image: 7v3W4zL.gif]

Projects:
- EAGLE 03: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Recording
- MajiKoi Abridged Episode 5: - - - Scripting Indefinitely
[+] 1 user Likes AnimeLawyers's post
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
The Abridged Rating Database or T.A.R.D
Abridger's list.
Abridged 411
My Abridged Lists

Idk im not good with names

Check out tales of the abridged
http://www.youtube.com/maddoggninetyone

Twitter
Youmaddogg

12-28-2011, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 10:29 AM by DrMircow.)
(12-28-2011 10:19 AM)maddogg91 Wrote:  The Abridged Rating Database or T.A.R.D
Abridger's list.
Abridged 411
My Abridged Lists

Idk im not good with names

The first one was really good, I liked it, but I still have to think about it. The rest were a bit confusing mostly because I don't see the point of the 'list' in it. I know what you're trying to say, but that's not what the website is about.

And a warning to everyone, the name shouldn't be too long because it will be incorporated in the URL. For example, Rotten Abridged was perfect because it would've been rottenabridged.com, while, let's say 'The Abridged Rating Database', it would've been theabridgedratingdatabase.com. See, a bit too long and unappealing. Oh, tard.com might have been too ambiguous and insulting if you didn't know what it was about. Again, just giving an example.

Anyway, you did good, maddogg91. Smile

...and same, AnimeLawyers. Tongue

12-28-2011, 01:05 PM
I uploaded a couple of new medals to the gallery.

These medals are earned based on the main review. Just look at them (ie. read their descriptions), it's pretty self-explanatory what they are.

Also, any feedback is welcomed.

12-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Is it not possible to see the site yet? I keep getting redirected to an image saying it's under construction.
12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
This does sound like a good idea, pointing out the best of the best. People could rate the series as a whole, or individual episodes or seasons. Rotten Parodies might be a good name, hopefully that wouldn't create too big range, if so, Mircow's name would be a good idea. When it gets done, you may have to assign different staff members like a director, administrators, moderators and other things. Keep in mind this is a bigger commitment than just abridging.
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Those medals look awesome, dude.

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)