New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
RE: Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
Gonna break up this in a Q&A style, hopefully just so it can be more readable.

(12-28-2011 02:02 PM)Rebbie Wrote:  Is it not possible to see the site yet? I keep getting redirected to an image saying it's under construction.

Like I said here, Rebbie:
Spoiler(Show)
(12-26-2011 03:27 PM)DrMircow Wrote:  [*]The website is under maintenance at the moment until further notice, hence it can not be accessed. Those who had the chance to check the alpha version, well, you know how it looked.

But of course, here's a screenshot for those who didn't have a chance to see the layout. Note, only the homepage was created so far.

[Image: screenshot1f.png]
[Image: screenshot2fi.png]

At the moment, I'm working on the sample page for a series. So that thing is coming soon.

And I do apologies for the inconvenience, if any.

(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  This does sound like a good idea, pointing out the best of the best. People could rate the series as a whole, or individual episodes or seasons.

That's my initial plan. However, it will be very hectic to make every single page for every single series, season, episode, etc. ever created on Internet. Hence, I'm taking my time on that. I'll be adding a few things at a time. Plus, if you see that Submit button on the homepage, that's for people to request series to be added. In other words, the most requested will be added first, so you could say that I'll be adding stuff based on priorities.

(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  Rotten Parodies might be a good name, hopefully that wouldn't create too big range, if so, Mircow's name would be a good idea.

Rotten Parodies still sort of references Rotten Tomatoes. Moreover, Parodies is a bit too generic. But yeah, nice try though.

(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  When it gets done, you may have to assign different staff members like a director, administrators, moderators and other things.

That's what scares me a bit. I'm not too sure whether the website will have a log-in account feature or not. It's doable, but at the moment my web database knowledge (ie. MySQL) is very limited. It will be very challenging for me to do that, but I'll give it a shot. If I can't do it, it's not the end of the world after all, but it could've been nice having that feature.

(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  Keep in mind this is a bigger commitment than just abridging.

Yap. And so far I appreciate your support, guys. If any.

(12-28-2011 02:20 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  Those medals look awesome, dude.

Thanks. More will be added soon. Hopefully the pun-like descriptions are enjoyable to read.

[Image: petewave.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2011, 04:08 PM
If you're not hot stuff with SQL, just nab a free widget for accounts. It'd save you the hassle of dealing with security on a homebrew.

12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
(12-28-2011 04:08 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  If you're not hot stuff with SQL, just nab a free widget for accounts. It'd save you the hassle of dealing with security on a homebrew.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was planning to do anyway, although Google can be very unhelpful sometimes.

12-28-2011, 09:50 PM
It is looking freaking awesome man. I'm glad your working on it. Big Grin

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
RE: Ruined Reviews Website (Rotten Ruined)
I think this is a good idea. One question, do abridgers have to put their series on the site themselves or do you put them on. I think it's better that you and the commity puts them on, because some might get missed because the creators don't know about the site, or they avoid it all together.
01-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Alas, the chronic masturbator known as Dr. Mircow no longer uses this site. But from what he has said, I'm fairly certain that they will be put on by the chronic masturbators themselves. If he ever finishes this site.

01-31-2012, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 08:18 PM by Airrest.)
(01-31-2012 03:55 PM)mattroks101 Wrote:  Alas, the chronic masturbator known as Dr. Mircow no longer uses this site. But from what he has said, I'm fairly certain that they will be put on by the chronic masturbators themselves. If he ever finishes this site.

He's no longer making it? It's a great idea. If it ever gets off the ground, ABF definitely wants to be affiliated with it.
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 09:14 PM by Fargo294.)
(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  Keep in mind this is a bigger commitment than just masturbating.

I DID NOT SAY MASTURBATING! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!
(01-31-2012 09:10 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  
(12-28-2011 02:17 PM)Fargo294 Wrote:  Keep in mind this is a bigger commitment than just masturbating.

I DID NOT SAY MASTURBATING! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!

NEVER MIND.
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
(01-31-2012 08:17 PM)Airrest Wrote:  He's no longer making it? It's a great idea. If it ever gets off the ground, ABF definitely wants to be affiliated with it.

I don't know if he's stopped altogether, but currently, he's not working on it.

02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
While I was away from the forum, I had some time to work on the project. Half of it is already done. However, I have no idea when this is will be finished.

[+] 1 user Likes DrMircow's post
02-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Awesome!!

02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
(02-07-2012 10:22 AM)DrMircow Wrote:  While I was away from the forum, I had some time to work on the project. Half of it is already done. However, I have no idea when this is will be finished.

Do you have any of the site up yet? I'd love to add it to the bottom of the index page as a partner when you're done.
02-10-2012, 09:34 AM
The only site which is up is my team's, but other than, no. This one was temporarily up for a few weeks but it's using the old name, "Rotten Abridged", which I'm planning to change due to potential copyright infringements from Rotten Tomatoes.

I'll inform you when everything is ready and stuff, Airrest.

02-13-2012, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 04:34 AM by zeromaster.)
I'm just putting this out there that I don't think is a good idea for a few reasons:

1) We already have enough rating systems on several sites where abridged stuff is hosted, there's no reason to have another one, people generally can judge from ratings on youtube/facebook as to what's good and what isn't if they need that guide.

2) Abuse. This is a big one, because it'll be easy to abuse the system. Do you like/dislike a series and have tons of friends who will agree with you without even watching it? Well, now you can abuse that easily! In all seriousness, people will abuse this system either to make themselves look good or others look bad with people mass rating things they may/may not have seen.

3) Do we really need another critique site? No offense but there's already a ton of of those sites in this community and we really have no need for another one, especially when you factor in my other points. These aren't movies, they're 2 - 10 minute silly parodies, does anyone even care enough to have a rating system like this? For god sakes, critiques on THIS site should be more then enough to satisfy anyone who wants it.

Look, I'm not saying your idea is completely flawed or to tear down your work on it thus far (the design look great by the way, I'm a site designer too and I much enjoy the functionality, as long as it all works right) and I'll be the first person to ask for some constructive criticism, but again, these aren't movies, these are silly, small parodies that have more then enough venues for critique.

Well, that's my two cents. I'm sure no one is really gonna give a crap about it but hey, at least I got you guys thinking about this some more.

EDIT: Also, I think saying "90% is crap" is a huge overstatement, just sayin'
02-13-2012, 07:58 AM
What you said there is very reasonable, ZeroMaster. And don't worry, that's more or less what Truthordeal said in the first place.

In one of my earlier posts, I did say that I have to decide whether I'll make it as my own website of reviews or just everyone's. The latter one will be harder to implement, but we'll see.

The "90% is crap" was just a prototype joke. The whole thing is just a prototype, so don't believe that will be the final product. Just saying.

02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
(02-13-2012 07:58 AM)DrMircow Wrote:  What you said there is very reasonable, ZeroMaster. And don't worry, that's more or less what Truthordeal said in the first place.

In one of my earlier posts, I did say that I have to decide whether I'll make it as my own website of reviews or just everyone's. The latter one will be harder to implement, but we'll see.

The "90% is crap" was just a prototype joke. The whole thing is just a prototype, so don't believe that will be the final product. Just saying.
Well your on the right track design-wise, as long as the back end coding is done properly it should function how it's supposed to. I'd offer coding help but I haven't done and SQL/PHP in years and I'd probably not be of any use to the site.
02-13-2012, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 07:58 PM by Airrest.)
(02-13-2012 04:32 AM)zeromaster Wrote:  I'm just putting this out there that I don't think is a good idea for a few reasons:

1) We already have enough rating systems on several sites where abridged stuff is hosted, there's no reason to have another one, people generally can judge from ratings on youtube/facebook as to what's good and what isn't if they need that guide.

2) Abuse. This is a big one, because it'll be easy to abuse the system. Do you like/dislike a series and have tons of friends who will agree with you without even watching it? Well, now you can abuse that easily! In all seriousness, people will abuse this system either to make themselves look good or others look bad with people mass rating things they may/may not have seen.

3) Do we really need another critique site? No offense but there's already a ton of of those sites in this community and we really have no need for another one, especially when you factor in my other points. These aren't movies, they're 2 - 10 minute silly parodies, does anyone even care enough to have a rating system like this? For god sakes, critiques on THIS site should be more then enough to satisfy anyone who wants it.

Look, I'm not saying your idea is completely flawed or to tear down your work on it thus far (the design look great by the way, I'm a site designer too and I much enjoy the functionality, as long as it all works right) and I'll be the first person to ask for some constructive criticism, but again, these aren't movies, these are silly, small parodies that have more then enough venues for critique.

Well, that's my two cents. I'm sure no one is really gonna give a crap about it but hey, at least I got you guys thinking about this some more.

EDIT: Also, I think saying "90% is crap" is a huge overstatement, just sayin'

I think it's more about being the go-to venue and/or the BEST venue for critique. I see no problem not to try to do something like this. And if it takes off, then awesome! If it doesn't: well, at least it was a cool idea.
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
If you're just doing reviews, you can easily just use WordPress to deal with all the entries without having to learn SQL. It's a pretty sweet Content Management System that's popular with blogs, but you can leverage the WordPress codex for a ton of other things. WordPress "custom fields" might be an easy solution for a rating system.

Custom Fields Stuff
http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/...wordpress/

You can also do star ratings in CSS:
http://css-tricks.com/star-ratings/

[+] 1 user Likes codeblackhayate's post
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions super special awesome, CBH. I'll be probably sticking with the latter one anyway, but at the moment I'm not working on this. And yes, I could've used something like WordPress if I wanted my own website, but I doubt that I'll do that. We shall see.

02-14-2012, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 08:18 AM by codeblackhayate.)
I googled a little harder. It seems like there are a bunch of wordpress plugins that allow for easy creation of a review site, user generated content in all.

http://wplift.com/20-free-premium-wordpr...ng-plugins

http://winkpress.com/review-site/

=3 Might be something to look at when you're working on it again.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)