New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
RE: Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
Since you put so much effort in finding and giving me all of these suggestions, I hope I don't disappoint you (or anyone) with this project.

[Image: petewave.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 05:39 PM by SkyYuyo.)
Hello there, I hope you don't mind if I throw out some ideas for this.

From my understanding this is suppose to be something like imdb with the score system for shows but instead of movies it's just for abridged series.

If you ever been on a website called myanimelist. You might want to set up something similar to it.

Where your able to sign up and add abridged shows to your list that you've seen,dropped,finished and rank them accordingly to the series or each episode.

Be able to give reviews on the series on their listing page and be able to give out suggestion to other similar styled shows people might be interested in.

The site also seems to have embedded a quick discussion thread from the forums on their respective show listing as well. Although, I'm not sure if a forum will work out that great compared to theirs set up like that. Since abridging is a pretty niche thing.

The problem with an idea like this is getting people to actually come and create a community. Maybe set up sort of a podcast thing reviewing abridged series, having guest commentators talking about the progress of their shows, their scripting process and spotlights.

Possibly tutorials about abridging preferably in audio or video forms since your trying to reach these lazy people. How to set up, discussions about equipments, programs, discussions about scripting and video & audio editing. I dunno just something that grabs people, makes them stay, contribute, and spread the word around. Instead of being another site that just list abridged shows.

[Image: skyyuyobanner.jpg]
04-13-2012, 07:22 AM
A quick update on this project.
  • Aiming for a release date in August. The more proper work will start in June, so three months should be enough for me to fix most of the possible bugs.
  • I completely changed the interface of the website since the last one looked all pretty but felt featureless. This new one focuses more on features and design. I promised a new screenshot a few days ago, but due to a major bug that messed up most of the interface I had to delay it.
  • There were times when I was thinking of giving up abridging and start focusing on making and maintaining this website. However, until I can truly believe this will be a success in the long-term, I have no plans for such thing to happen. Yet, I know this will be using most of my free time.
  • I am still using your feedbacks to avoid any possible appeal issues with the website. The way it's been designed now should grab people's attention.
  • If anyone knows some damn good tutorial articles about quickly/efficiently creating website databases for a Login feature, please inform me about them. Those more technical of you, I'm talking about things such as MySQL. Simpler, the better. I've seen some, but they weren't too useful. Regarding what CBH gave me, I haven't tried it yet, but still feelvfree to give me any good articles.

There will be new updates later towards June.

(01-31-2012 03:55 PM)mattroks101 Wrote:  Alas, the chronic masturbator known as Dr. Mircow...

Ah, good old filter contest.

[+] 1 user Likes DrMircow's post
10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
[Image: rottenabridged_avatar_large.png]

It

10-01-2012, 06:53 PM
So far it's looking great.

Two questions:

-To what extent have you been working with Airrest to give you the site details to make integration work?

-What criteria do you have in mind for abridged series to be accepted to avoid the spam of it.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 07:01 PM by OoziHobo.)
I'm pretty pumped to help or be a part of its take off, but I do have my reservations about the site for reasons previously stated by others. IMDB doesn't let members who don't regularly rate movies influence their "standing" so to speak, I'm not sure if that's possible to implement but I think it's pretty nifty.

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
If you need help with admin stuff (similar to what I do here), hit me up on Skype. I'll need more explanation in the beginning (it's easier for me to understand when I see/interact with it, rather than reading a list of features), but I am certainly willing at the very least to lend my abilities to help the site take off. Maybe promote it a bit too if I like it. Skype Cool

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
10-01-2012, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 10:46 PM by codeblackhayate.)
I am halfway asleep. There are no guarantee this will make any sense.

Spoiler: WOOOORDPRESSS is kinda neat(Show)
I really hope you're not reinventing the wheel on this, since there are a ton solutions for this type of thing already. Big Grin If WordPress is your CMS, there are plugins for a crapton of features.
For instance: Achievements

SCOPE and MORE SCOPE
It looks like you've got a lot of different ideas. I can see a really big potential for (even more) feature creep, so you might want to narrow your initial scope. It's a pretty easy step that sometimes gets tossed aside because it doesn't seem as important as say OMGFEATURES. Once definitively know what you're going to do and what you're not going to do, you can specify how you're going to do it. Depending on how much you want to focus on each thing, the site could go in totally different directions.

Requirements Specification
After you've figured out scope, identify and prioritize functionality and keep track of it.
Define what the features will do for your site instead of having just a list of features. For instance a requirement could be:

1. A review entry and incorporate:
a) scores assigned by RA, the user base, and by external reviews. Score weighting will be defined as.....
b) A wiki aspect that ...
c) A comments section open to general users...
d) Integration with abridgedforums.com forum posts.
e) Permissions that...

Then you can design the implementation of the features around solving your requirements.

If you prioritize the requirements, you can develop for your showstoppers and keep track of what what's getting done. The non-crutial stuff can be backburnered or cut without holding the project back. Then, you can add the extra features in a modular fashion. If you do that, you won't run the risk of having to scrap big chunks later down the road or going off on a tangential site identity crisis. (Ex. One of your showstoppers isn't compatible with some largish minor features, or the site switches focus halfway through because can't decide how social it wants to be)

Integration, in general, is a crazy ball of wax with it's own set of problems. You don't want that complexity on top of regular development.

10-02-2012, 06:05 AM
(10-01-2012 06:53 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  So far it's looking great.

Two questions:

-To what extent have you been working with Airrest to give you the site details to make integration work?

-What criteria do you have in mind for abridged series to be accepted to avoid the spam of it.

Spoiler(Show)
I talked with Airrest a few days ago when he mostly gave me some feedback back and discussed a few ideas and stuff, but the integration may or may not seem something necessarily extravagant. Not per say at least and definitely not from the moment the website launches. Of course, by integration I don't mean that this forum will vanish or be directly moved to RA. That is why I would need his assistance with this feature in the near future, if he wants and is free. Plus, he is the main admin of this place, so if I want any sort of coding that would be from him. Lastly, the idea of seeing a review score when a video is posted here was his, and possibly the most requested from him.

I haven't written down any criteria as of now, but it will most likely be something based on the size of the person's audience and klout. That's simple and dramatically cuts down on the number of entries. Since I don't want to make this exclusive to series like YGOTAS or DBZA (although that's how it will be at the start), the staff will have the choice to pick other series which may not meet that proposed criteria, but at least have the artistic potential. So, you could argue that there can be only a few exceptions to that criteria. I don't want to be bias here, but someone like DeathlyMuffins for example, who is far from generating any buzz in the community like the big ones, could be added if there's a majority of votes from the staff, as well as appreciated by other people, let's say.

To avoid any accidental omissions (but relevant), I will be working on a feature where users can submit requests for a series to be added. The concept should hopefully be something like Steam's Greenlight.

(10-01-2012 07:00 PM)OoziHobo Wrote:  I'm pretty pumped to help or be a part of its take off, but I do have my reservations about the site for reasons previously stated by others. IMDB doesn't let members who don't regularly rate movies influence their "standing" so to speak, I'm not sure if that's possible to implement but I think it's pretty nifty.

Spoiler(Show)
The chances for that are very small, but I'll see what I can do.

(10-01-2012 07:43 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  If you need help with admin stuff (similar to what I do here), hit me up on Skype. I'll need more explanation in the beginning (it's easier for me to understand when I see/interact with it, rather than reading a list of features), but I am certainly willing at the very least to lend my abilities to help the site take off. Maybe promote it a bit too if I like it. Skype Cool

Spoiler(Show)
I will definitely need a maximum of two admins, if not part of the staff. If you want to, since you prefer it visually, I can give you a sneak-peek of the website on its current state just like I did with Airrest on Skype. Mostly to see its interface and a few of its implemented features.

(10-01-2012 10:45 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  I am halfway asleep. There are no guarantee this will make any sense.

Spoiler(Show)
Spoiler: WOOOORDPRESSS is kinda neat(Show)
I really hope you're not reinventing the wheel on this, since there are a ton solutions for this type of thing already. Big Grin If WordPress is your CMS, there are plugins for a crapton of features.
For instance: Achievements

SCOPE and MORE SCOPE
It looks like you've got a lot of different ideas. I can see a really big potential for (even more) feature creep, so you might want to narrow your initial scope. It's a pretty easy step that sometimes gets tossed aside because it doesn't seem as important as say OMGFEATURES. Once definitively know what you're going to do and what you're not going to do, you can specify how you're going to do it. Depending on how much you want to focus on each thing, the site could go in totally different directions.

Requirements Specification
After you've figured out scope, identify and prioritize functionality and keep track of it.
Define what the features will do for your site instead of having just a list of features. For instance a requirement could be:

1. A review entry and incorporate:
a) scores assigned by RA, the user base, and by external reviews. Score weighting will be defined as.....
b) A wiki aspect that ...
c) A comments section open to general users...
d) Integration with abridgedforums.com forum posts.
e) Permissions that...

Then you can design the implementation of the features around solving your requirements.

If you prioritize the requirements, you can develop for your showstoppers and keep track of what what's getting done. The non-crutial stuff can be backburnered or cut without holding the project back. Then, you can add the extra features in a modular fashion. If you do that, you won't run the risk of having to scrap big chunks later down the road or going off on a tangential site identity crisis. (Ex. One of your showstoppers isn't compatible with some largish minor features, or the site switches focus halfway through because can't decide how social it wants to be)

Integration, in general, is a crazy ball of wax with it's own set of problems. You don't want that complexity on top of regular development.

Spoiler(Show)
Don't worry, I know the rookie mistake. What I listed there are just some features and ideas that people will most likely see in the future, but I'm already taking the small steps. I know the feeling of burnout when you try to implement everything at once with all these vast ideas. I do have a written plan on how everything is going to be implemented and how it will influence the user, so it's all good. Currently, the website should be mainly-focused on reviews, but since I got all those news-related features and whatnot, I wouldn't be surprised if this goes in a different direction, something like IGN for example. But for that to ever happen, the website and more importantly the staff need to be active and dedicated to keep the dream alive. Hence why I gave the option for staff members to inform me whether they want to continue or not after a certain time, because I know that no one can dedicate their entire time on this. Even I can't. So there might be like shift periods between staff memebers.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the tips once again.

10-02-2012, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:34 AM by Stephan.)
I can't be very helpful with the technical aspects, so I'm gonna focus on the stuff I know. I have a major beef with the logo and icons. Keep in mind, I'm a graphic designer, so this stuff will always stick out to me and I can't help but notice these things.

I know this stuff probably isn't the main concern right now, but here's just a few things you should keep in mind:

1. Neon-green gradients and flat reds are bad.
They do not look good together. I'll expand more in point 3.

2. Heavy embossed shadows and highlight gradients are also bad.
They're not flattering. Gradients are best used in subtle ways that compliment an image. Here's a version I made of the logo to show more subtle ways to use gradients and shadows(and using this color palette, which I expand more on in point 3, like I said):

[Image: MnubsJAGx4t-sYr599BqN--ge7ETHyoq78nK0U-G...5jRcYTKsfE]
(Not sure why I flipped "actually" and "is" there.)

This is by no means a perfect logo, I think there's a better color palette that can be found, and I'd probably try and use a different font if this were an actual job. I just grabbed the first decent one I saw that was close to what you seemed to want. However, if you looks closely you'll see the gradients are there, but they're not in your face. Also, the shadows are outside of the image rather than within it. There are times where embossing is a good idea, but those times are few and far between.

While there are good ways to use gradients, I highly recommend staying away from them unless you know what you're doing, because they can be unbearable when used badly.

3. I have no idea what you're going for with the site.
There's no uniformity in these images in your gallery, just random bright colors with little rhyme or reason. This is what they did for color choices in the 80s, and it didn't work then either. Pick 3-5 colors that compliment each other well and fit your site's voice, and then use variations of those three colors to build the website. AF is a good example of this. They use Orange, Dark Grey, and White and they implement them in ways that really compliment the forum.

Pretty much every good site design sticks to around 3-5 colors and variations of those colors, and that needs to be reflected in your images. No one wants to visit a site that doesn't look nice. And while they may not understand the rules like I do, people will know something's wrong even if they can't put their finger on "why."

I recommend going to this website and checking out the color palettes there. Pick one you like and then use that as the base for your website design.

I apologize if at any point I come off as harsh in this, that's not my intention, but I can't stress enough that this is very important and can make or break your site. Hopefully you find this helpful when it comes to making your website more aesthetically pleasing.

List of Palettes I Found That I Think Are Nice:
Cardi idea3
Scarf Colors
Shire
Louiza's Pond
Falling APC
Curiosity Killed
Wasabi Sucide

10-02-2012, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:38 AM by DrMircow.)
Perfect. I was looking forward for someone being more "technical" on the aesthetic aspect.

Generally all the images you saw are just prototypes, so giving me that feedback is actually brilliant. Harsher, the better. Like I mentioned, the images will be changed, especially the logo (which I'm personally pleased with it as it is). Trust me, I haven't used a gazillion of different palettes on the website itself; that was just for the emblems. The website currently has 3 main colours, really.

Since you're an expert on that field, I don't mind offering you the opportunity to make some news for the website if you're interested and have some free time to spare in the near future.

One last thing, apparently I see all your images (including your avatar) as broken links for some odd reason.

10-02-2012, 11:53 AM
(10-02-2012 11:37 AM)DrMircow Wrote:  Since you're an expert on that field, I don't mind offering you the opportunity to make some news for the website if you're interested and have some free time to spare in the near future.

Possibly, though I can't make any promises just yet.

(10-02-2012 11:37 AM)DrMircow Wrote:  One last thing, apparently I see all your images (including your avatar) as broken links for some odd reason.

Yeah, my website is dead at the moment until I pay for hosting again, so I suppose I should get those images re-uploaded elsewhere.

10-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow, I'm liking how this is shaping up!

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Good idea. Bad design. I would recommend just copying the rotten tomatoes design. It wouldn't be original. But it also wouldn't look like a rainbow threw up all over my monitor.
10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Are you referring to the palettes Stephan suggested, Inna?

10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm referring to this. It looks really amateur.

(12-28-2011 03:41 PM)DrMircow Wrote:  [Image: screenshot1f.png]
[Image: screenshot2fi.png]
10-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Alright, I see. I probably should have mentioned this but that's the old UI for the website. It doesn't have that design anymore; it does look more like a proper website now. I can see what you meant by the rainbows now.

10-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh, if you're using Wordpress I guarantee there's a free theme out there that's nice and fits your needs that you can edit. If you're not adept at coding and are starting from scratch there are better ways to go about it. Not sure whether you are or not, but there's some unsolicited advice.

05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Right, I have some great news regarding the project.

I can confirm that I have all the essential funding backed up, all by myself. This means that I have enough money to buy certain plugins to expand on the website's features. Yes, the website is using Wordpress. In short, check this post's first spoiler for the planned features (the list might be a bit out-of-date, but most are still valid).

But before I start throwing my money around, I need to ask all of you a favour...
  • Are you still interested in such a website? Is this taking the hobby too seriously? Do we really need actual critics to say what's good and bad? Who is actually going to do the reviews?
  • If I were to make such a website, what would you want to see mainly? Just reviews? Up-to-date news? [*insert your suggestion*]?

Lastly, to reconfirm this, the website would be exclusively aimed at people like TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh, WeeklyTubeShow, some of the mods of this forum and anyone else who meets certain requirements only. I believe making critiques, good or bad, on their work would benefit people who just started out this abridging thing (as well as them). Newcomers need good role models. Again, with a voting system or something similar we can sort this out.

If you are confused by something, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to answer it. I know some of you are still wondering how this whole thing will work.

05-25-2013, 07:51 PM
(05-25-2013 06:57 PM)DrMircow Wrote:  Lastly, to reconfirm this, the website would be exclusively aimed at people like TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh, WeeklyTubeShow, some of the mods of this forum and anyone else who meets certain requirements only.

Can you specify what those requirements are?

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)