New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
05-25-2013, 08:14 PM
RE: Abridged Reviews Website (Rotten Abridged)
I feel like this may be a waste of money on your part. Not because it'll be bad, but because people will likely lose interest within a few months. Your potential audience is small, even with Google AdSense you're unlikely to make even by the end of the year. It's possible to make it work, I suppose, but you'll not only need to make a well-built website and rating system, but you'll need a something to keep people invested in returning on a consistent basis. If you're not able to offer that, people will lose interest and leave very quickly.

But if you ARE going to shell out money for it, be sure to look for possible themes with built-in rating add-ons you can alter to fit your needs. Premium Wordpress themes generally go for about $40 and can save you a lot of time and effort should you choose wisely. Color schemes can be changed, but attractive layouts and a functional skeleton can go a long way.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stephan's post
05-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I think he's going to get the premium plugins to deal with the features. I can second that there are already WordPress templates that deal with rating systems out of the box. For look and feel, ThemeForrest has some pretty sweet looking templates, however; sometimes the customizations are a little WTF on the back end. Not everybody writes elegant code for tweaking or knows about UX.

Money-wise, it's pretty cheap to run a small site for a year. XD I would help sponsor if that was an issue, since I think it would be something fun.

05-26-2013, 07:49 AM
I'd definitely like to see it.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you for your replies, folks.

A few weeks ago when I was working on the (Wordpress) design that I showed Airrest months ago, I found this Premium template for WordPress specifically made for review-based websites: http://www.industrialthemes.com/made/

So, to make life easier and reduce the workload, I'm planning to buy that template and then integrate the remaining plugins. Have a look at it and feel free to tell me what you think. The template itself looks pretty good in my opinion (with further customizations it can look even better) and is functional.

As far as the technical aspect is concerned, I can cope with the coding.

(05-25-2013 07:51 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Can you specify what those requirements are?

I don't have any requirements written down at the moment, but I assume things such as years of experience and peer recommendations would count a lot. I'm still brainstorming. If you have a list in mind, feel free to suggest it since you are a mod.

(05-25-2013 08:14 PM)Stephan Wrote:  I feel like this may be a waste of money on your part. Not because it'll be bad, but because people will likely lose interest within a few months. Your potential audience is small, even with Google AdSense you're unlikely to make even by the end of the year. It's possible to make it work, I suppose, but you'll not only need to make a well-built website and rating system, but you'll need a something to keep people invested in returning on a consistent basis. If you're not able to offer that, people will lose interest and leave very quickly.

Correct. I totally agree.

I'm not hoping for a big audience from the start, but I already have ideas for content to keep people interested. Some of its content would come from this forum like the AF Challenges, Live Shows, third-party interviews, news of what's going on with people's projects and so on. And yes, this forum and the website would be partnered or whatever you would like to call it. Like if people want to discuss things beyond the comments section in an article, they can access this forum from the website.

(05-25-2013 10:36 PM)codeblackhayate Wrote:  Money-wise, it's pretty cheap to run a small site for a year. XD I would help sponsor if that was an issue, since I think it would be something fun.

Thanks. But I'll be fine sponsoring by myself if I were to actually launch this project. Smile

[Image: petewave.gif]
05-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Looking forward to partnering with you. Sounds like an awesome site.

I know I've said it in the past, but once you get the site going, it would be awesome to have some small form of integration. Perhaps links to forum discussions on your end and links to reviews on our end. But we'll get to all that once you get the thing up and running. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)