New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.89 Average
Quadgun: A Trigun Abridged Series
01-24-2012, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2016 01:23 PM by OoziHobo.)
Quadgun: A Trigun Abridged Series
[Image: 546357_10150896191133709_793483708_12946...15_n-1.jpg]

All the Episodes out so far!
Spoiler(Show)

Credit Where Credit is Due:

OoziHobo: Director, Writer, Editor, Vash, Millie, Dick Bostok, and Chairman's Assistant.
DragonMasterLaw: Frank Marlan, Cliff Schezar, Father Nebraska, Stan, Bald Robber, and Macho Man Randy Savage.
MurderMyInsanity: Meryl
LuckyLeif: Lead Robber, Beard Maid
CodeBlackHayate: Stephanie Bostok), and Miss Elizabeth.
Ravvage: Sheriff, Marianne, and Robber.
BaronOfBerlin: Marianne, Robber, and Co-Writer(ep6)
Mattroks101: Guy in Crowd (ep5)
HarryFiddlesticks: Kaite, Kaite's Father, Chairman (ep6), Mayor(ep10)
ChrisTheNerd: Hotel Manager(ep6)
Dotvob: Neon
Stephan: Steamer Captain (ep7)
ThroneOfCipher: Wolfwood

The piano cover for Say A Little Prayer For You was performed by DavidRussel323 in Quadgun 4.

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OoziHobo's post
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: Quadgun: A Trigun Abridged Series
I'm fairly certain I posted a review on this series. But in case I didn't allow me to be blunt. I like it.
I like it much more than the other Trigun Abridged. This one is actually funny. If I may critique I would say that some of the editing is a bit unstable and a few voices need work. But it's definitely a much better start than most get (like me >.<)

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
02-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Yeah, a few of us who contributed to Quadgun watched the other Trigun Abridged Series to make sure we avoided any joke stealing, and I definitely understand where you are coming from but I try to avoid comparing the two because I think at one point in time the other series was very acceptable, but then the bar got raised.

As for my editing, I'm kind of learning on the fly, and I think it shows! I can't begin to tell you how much watching the first episode makes me cringe. I made it on a whim just for 'practice' and did not care one bit about lip syncing at the time. Honestly, I would like to remake it because it bugs me to think the decision to watch more episodes is being based off of that first one. T.T

Trigun is also old enough to have been animated with old fashion cels, and so whenever I isolate lip flaps I'll find the shading, certain details, and whole colors often don't match up. If any abridgers who have dabbled with old anime have any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

Hell, any tips from anyone actually.

02-08-2012, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 06:58 AM by DrMircow.)
(02-08-2012 05:30 AM)OoziHobo Wrote:  As for my editing, I'm kind of learning on the fly, and I think it shows! I can't begin to tell you how much watching the first episode makes me cringe. I made it on a whim just for 'practice' and did not care one bit about lip syncing at the time. Honestly, I would like to remake it because it bugs me to think the decision to watch more episodes is being based off of that first one. T.T

That's how I feel about our first series, if people base their opinion on the pilot first. The chances are 50-50 to get turned off.

Regarding your series, the pilot didn't put me off. Yes, it's definitely the weakest of the three, but I liked it.

(02-08-2012 05:30 AM)OoziHobo Wrote:  Trigun is also old enough to have been animated with old fashion cels, and so whenever I isolate lip flaps I'll find the shading, certain details, and whole colors often don't match up. If any abridgers who have dabbled with old anime have any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

There is a thread here about lip-synching on this forum, but I doubt that's useful for cell-animation. Hence why I never bother with lip-synching because 99% of what I abridge is not anime. Although, if I can lip-sync a particular scene, then I lip-sync. But generally, I don't bother with that so long as it's not obviously terrible or really out of sync. Also, I don't think the audience is fuzzed too much with the lip-synching either. But that's my opinion, at least.

Here's the thread: http://www.abridgedforums.com/showthread.php?tid=12

Hopefully it will be useful. And maybe try and watch TwooGiz's video.

[Image: petewave.gif]
03-12-2012, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 08:02 AM by OoziHobo.)
Thanks for the link, Mircow. While it didn't really 'help' me, reading it did motivate me to google up some tutorials that did help me tremendously. I have now started doing some masking, so only the moving bits 'shake' and 'shift' as opposed to the whole frame doing it. It works quite well, and was a necessity because Episode 4 of Trigun has some of the most horrendous animation of the series.

Speaking of Episode 4, it has taken me a very long time but its finally nearing completion. I still have to corner MurderMyInsanity and make her do Meryl's lines (she's hard to corner, been trying for 3 weeks now), but I suspect I'll have it finished in a week or two.

I'm trying -something- I've never done before in this episode, and I have a feeling I will not be satisfied with how it turns out, but hopefully people will like it more than I do. I'm of the opinion that episodes should be brief, but this one could very well be 7-10 minutes long. T.T

03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I can give you a tip about lip flapping old animation, if you don't the screen to be constantly shaking, just use one still shot and mask all the flaps over it. That way only the mouth is moving on the still shot. I doubt that made much sense, but maybe one of these days I'll actually figure out to to take screenshots of my PC.

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 08:09 AM by OoziHobo.)
Quadgun 4:

OoziHobo's Thoughts:
Spoiler(Show)
Quadgun 4 was troublesome to make, I had to revise the script several times, lines were hard to come by, and the merit of certain jokes was questionable. But despite all that I thought the finished product was passable enough.

The opening scene is my least favorite part of the episode, because for some reason through the revisions it stayed relatively intact, but there was less and less reason for it. Initially, I wanted the relationship well established between Stan and Bostalk. Stan was a wimp. Bostalk was a bully. So there was a lot of time dedicated just to these two to lay a foundation for a bunch of jokes we had set up for the ending when Stan finally staged his coup. But, that was one of the first things to go with the revisions after I saw exactly how much content we were going to have in the middle of the episode.

Additionally, the joke about them really wanting a copy of The Whiz was going to be reocurring. But all of those were also taken out. And all the jokes centered around the mercenaries were also taken out. So, with all these changes the opening scene should have been this.

Bostalk: What's the situation?
Stan: It looks like a bunch of thugs(etc)
*Vash walks by*

Could have shaved off a 1:30 seconds of time with this change, but I failed to realize it. Probably because the opening scene was voiced, edited, and finalized before we even began lines for the rest of it. It's not too horrible, because the situation is still humorous and for any fan who remembers the original would be amused by Stan.

Now, when I started scripting this episode, I had grand visions of the scene where everybody sings together. Unfortunately that vision was not met. I asked a friend of mine to cover the song "Say A Little Prayer For You", and he did a fantastic job. However, his cover wasn't really meant to be "sung over"... so to speak. It didn't sound great at all. And maybe if I was more competent at mixing audio I could have made it work, but I decided to cut my losses and make do with the skills I had in the ways of editing.

A shame, originally I wanted everyone to join in on the song, even Bostalk and Stan singing it to themselves from outside, and for it to carry on while the mercaneries sprang onto the scene. Wish I could have done it, since it seems the general consensus where the mercaneries charge seems to just be 'filler'.

Things I liked about the episode!

I felt genius stroking me when I wrote the scene for the charade game. Probably my favorite part. It's that kind of clever usage of original footage that I love in any abridged series. Which seems rare these days since everyone is getting so talented with their editing software and the need to be clever with your source footage drops... my personal opinion.

I was concerned that people would complain about the length of the ending scene. And that the point would be lost on most.

I like Westerns. Half the reason I started abridging Quadgun is because I thought to myself one day, "You know? The music from old westerns would fit really well into Trigun." And then I wanted to see it happen.But the thing to understand about westerns, is they're slow paced. It's all about posturing between two characters. It's style over substance. And while I could easily enjoy watching Trigun while some of myfavorite iconic western tunes play in the background, in order to properly parody those traditional themes I'd have to invest a lot of time in the build up before making a mockery of it. Which I tried to remedy by having a couple voice overs, because that was about a solid 30-40 seconds of no jokes and just music.

Did it pay off? Hopefully. The room full of people that watched the episode before I put it on the internet laughed, so I like to think so.

I also loved CodeBlackHayate's crying, it makes me laugh by itself.

And if you actually read all of this, I have a question for you! What was everyone's thoughts on bringing back the whale joke from episode one? It always makes me chuckle thinking about this infamous encounter between Vash and some whale, but I also don't want to force a joke.

I invite any and all praise or criticism! I tried some new stuff with this one, mainly seeing how far I could push situation/character driven humor. Episode 5 will be out much sooner, I already have all the lines done for it. Hurrah! I'll edit the original post later. =]

[+] 1 user Likes OoziHobo's post
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
oozihobo Wrote:I felt genius stroking me when I wrote the scene for the charade game.

Yeah, sorry about that. My hand wouldn't listen.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
03-26-2012, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 03:39 AM by OoziHobo.)
(03-25-2012 11:01 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  
oozihobo Wrote:I felt genius stroking me when I wrote the scene for the charade game.

Yeah, sorry about that. My hand wouldn't listen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that names their hands.

------------------------------------------------

This just in!

Apparently this "boss" of a friend of mine liked Quadgun a lot, so I've been asked to show it off at this... Otaku/Tri-State/Meet'n'Greet thingy... I don't think it technically constitutes a "convention" and I doubt it's anything like a "panel".

It's just super cool that I was asked at all. =3
And it would be nice to actually see comments on my videos, so hopefully it's a good turn out. And it's called Kyuuka... if any of you live in the tri-state area of Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio.

04-30-2012, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 05:12 PM by LightningCrabz.)
The short version is I think your series definitely has some potential going for it.

WRITING - The jokes are all pretty good, the charades bit being my favorite. The demands and the whale joke were good too. In episode 3, the way you took the finale was great.

CAST - The voice acting is decent enough. I think your Vash has really improved since the earlier episodes. The rest of the cast is getting better too, though I had some trouble understanding what the bald robber was saying a few times.

EDITING - Definitely improving. But I notice some places where you made a cut and accidentally added a frame from another shot. Like in the beginning when Vash is chewing the gum. It just shows up for a flash, but I can't help but notice it. Sorry I can't help but nitpick :D

THE OPENING - I don't know if I've mentioned this to you before, but it bugs me that your opening has the titlecard "Trigun: the abridged" instead of "Quadgun". You could definitely cut from that last shot of Vash about to fire right to a new titlecard for the show. ( And nitpicking again,) the 3 gunshots in the middle of the opening sound kinda weak.

OVERALL - Your jokes are funny and the voice acting is good enough, and I think that is what's most important. I'm already subscribed and I look forward to the next one man. Best of luck. If you ever need help with editing or voice acting or whatever, I'd be more than happy to help.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 01:08 PM by OoziHobo.)
Thanks for taking the time to tell me all that! I really enjoy hearing feedback, I wish I had more of it, lol. The next one should be coming -really- soon, it's killing me that I have to study instead of finishing it up. And while I'm never sure how jokes will go over (I had no idea people would actually like the regenerating bottle), I can say I think the voice acting and editing have improved in this upcoming episode. So there's that.

About your nitpicking (and if all you got is nitpicks then I'm happy), you're the second or third person to complain about my title slide... and I've always rationalized it as such. The name of the shows is Quadgun... but Quadgun itself is just a Trigun Abridged Series. And if I were to change it to read Quadgun instead... I don't think it makes sense anymore, because I'm not abridging Quadgun, I'm abridging Trigun. xD

And then there is the whole deal where the opening is a joke in itself, "The Good, The Bad, and the Abridged." And I've thought about changing the opening (It's too long), but I can't bring myself to do it. But you will be pleased to know the gunshots have been replaced with better ones!

Anyways, thanks for your support and FINALLY someone outside of my real life friends has said SOMETHING about my darn whale joke. Thank you. ;__;

04-30-2012, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 02:37 PM by LightningCrabz.)
Yeah, I would agree that 30 seconds is probably the longest you want to do for an intro to an abridged series. However you are using one of the greatest themes of all time for your intro, so I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) will agree that it's totally fine and justified! :D

Also, I'm glad you decided not to cut out the conversation between Stan and Bostalk at the beginning. It made me chuckle. And with the whale joke, I DO think it's funny! Honestly, I think it would be cool to refer back to it once in a while. Like if someone's reading off a list of Vash's crimes and drowning a whale is included. Just a thought.

As for the titlecard, I think the name Quadgun by itself sends a clear message to the viewer that the show that they are watching is a parody of Trigun. Besides, what you're doing is taking an anime and making your own show out of it! It is a parody, but its also its own thing in and of itself.

My Personal YT Account
Twitter
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
(04-30-2012 02:37 PM)LightningCrabz Wrote:  Also, I'm glad you decided not to cut out the conversation between Stan and Bostalk at the beginning. It made me chuckle. And with the whale joke, I DO think it's funny! Honestly, I think it would be cool to refer back to it once in a while. Like if someone's reading off a list of Vash's crimes and drowning a whale is included. Just a thought.

Happens in episode 6, haha. I've got notes, plot lines, and joke ideas all the way up to episode 11.

[+] 1 user Likes OoziHobo's post
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 09:39 PM by OoziHobo.)
Quadgun 5

This video was the first episode of Quadgun to move someone to click the 'dislike' button on YouTube. Huzzah! Today, I am an abridger.

I love feedback. Even negative feedback. I really want people to have a go at this episode. I'm not a very proud abridger. I love Quadgun, but I see a lot of room for improvement. And I crave input from an audience. Here's something I made to motivate you guys.
Spoiler(Show)
[Image: MorpheusCritique.png]

[+] 3 users Like OoziHobo's post
05-02-2012, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 11:15 PM by LightningCrabz.)
PROS -
  • Love all the jokes in the beginning. Again, your writing proves solid this episode.
  • The new gunshots in the opening feel good.
  • Your editing continues to improve, but I think your timing was particularly great this episode.

CONS -
  • With the writing and editing being pretty solid, the shoddy voice acting stood out more IMO. But hey, I think you have a handful of new options (new internet friends) now to solve that problem.
  • I thought some of the jokes towards the end could've been better. I mean they were good, but I think you could've gone a little farther with them, like with Nebraska's monologue and the flashbacks.
  • Only other con that's really worth pointing out is watch your audio balancing in some spots. In a few places like the beginning, the sound effects are a little too loud. But thats honestly it.

Solid job dude.

My Personal YT Account
Twitter
[+] 1 user Likes LightningCrabz's post
08-12-2012, 04:02 AM
For better or for worse, this video was a great deal of firsts for me. Things like masking, actual compression (which made some stills fuzzy), making an episode that is over 10 minutes, live directing over skype, having video within a video, and it was my first time co-scripting. All in all, I could have tinkered for another month and still not have been satisfied (I never am with my episodes), but despite that... I learned a poop ton from making this.

Go ahead. Tear it apart. =]

08-12-2012, 06:27 AM
One question: Why is it called trigun when Vash's gun doesn't look like this?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWcL27V9voxtAKBoAK-rX...BOc28ZASgX]

Also, it was a pretty good episode, aside from it going on for too long. I chuckled a number of times

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
[+] 1 user Likes deathlymuffins's post
08-12-2012, 09:54 PM
It did go on for a little too long, but there were some things that i laughed at.

I'm also surprised you took my audition for the hotel guy Big Grin

Check out my website
http://christhenerd92.com

Your momma's so fat her patronus is a cake.
08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
(08-12-2012 09:54 PM)Christhenerd Wrote:  I'm also surprised you took my audition for the hotel guy Big Grin

I am very sorry I didn't credit you properly in the video! >.<

08-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Don't worry about it. I know it's me Tongue

Check out my website
http://christhenerd92.com

Your momma's so fat her patronus is a cake.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)