New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AbridgedForums Challenge #1 Spring 2012 - Truthordeal
05-05-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 03:39 PM by Airrest.)
AbridgedForums Challenge #1 Spring 2012 - Truthordeal
Sup. So everyone at the AFLive show saw this thread coming, and those of you who didn't...um, surprise! Contest time, everyone, for reals this time!

I volunteered to run the first contest, so the challenge included was my idea(with help for details by the other mods/admin). I think it'll give a lot of you the chance to do something out of your comfort zone, and become better parodists for it.

Everyone who has a membership to the AbridgedForums is elegible to enter. If you don't have one, make one, and you can enter. All entries must be videos made between today(May 5th) and one month from today(June 5th). All contest entries must include the appearing disclaimer in the video description: "Video by _____ for AbridgedForums Spring 2012 Challenge," and must be posted in this thread right here.

What are the rules of this challenge? Well:

1) Each video must be edited in Windows Movie Maker or iMovie(if you wasted the extra money on a Mac). In order for your entry to be accepted, you must take a screenshot of your project file and include it with your entry video.

2) The video quality must be 240p if using Movie Maker and 360p if using iMovie. I'll include render settings for each program to make this portion easy.

3) Since less-than-stellar microphones may not be readily available, everyone is encouraged, but not required, to use a crappy mic or to lower the bitrate of their audio file. Recording with Windows Sound Recorder should suit this perfectly. I'll be giving out bonus points to those that do this.

4) All editing should be done in the video editor. That means no photoshop, flash, after effects, or audio editing in audacity or a similar product.

5) No musical intros or openings. Because LK did not use one at first.
The idea behind these restrictions is to put the emphasis on the scripting, which is by and large the most important part of any parody. If you can't write decent jokes, then no amount of editing or stunning vocal work can save you. This challenge will get at the bare bones of what makes a funny parody.

All entries will be judged by yours truly, and I'll be the one giving out prizes and whatnot. What are the prizes? You'll get bragging rights, a special user group with a flashy name color, and an automatic spot on the next AF Live Show. Sounds like it'd be worth it to me.

Now for the more technical stuff. If you have Windows Vista or earlier, your computer should have come pre-installed with Windows Movie Maker. If you have Windows 7, it should have come with Movie Maker Live, which is terrible beyond all else. Here is a link to download and install Movie Maker Classic for Windows 7:

http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=video#wmminst

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...aspx?id=34

http://www.soft82.com/get/download/Windo...ovie_Maker

If your computer runs Vista and has Movie Maker Live, then googling an installer for Movie Maker Classic shouldn't be too hard.

Render settings in WMM and iMovie:

Go to publish to computer.

[Image: wmm1.png]

Choose the middle file setting, the one that says "Compress to X MB." To pick 240p exclusively, pay carefule attention to the bottom left hand corner.

[Image: wmm2.png]

Specifically the red circle. The last number in the display size will determine what the "p" is in your finished video. Make sure that last number is 240.

[Image: 240png.png]

In iMovie, the render settings only got down as low as 360p(hence why those using it are allowed a better quality).

[Image: Mac.png]

Choose the "mobile" setting, and that should give you what you need.

Here is what your post should look like when you make an entry:

[Image: screenshot.png]

Once that's taken care of, you're entered in the challenge. May the best person win, and remember to have fun with it above all else.

I'll see you guys on June 5th. Ta-ta!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs

Can groups collaborate on this and share the prize?

Two people can team up. We can't stop a group of twenty people from teaming up, but only two people will get the credit.

Can we use MS Paint?

No, all editing, image, video, audio, must be done in the video editor.

Can mods/admins enter? I think that is unfair.

I agree. Mods and admins can enter to challenge themselves, but they can't win.

Can we use sound effects/bgm?

If you can fit the sound effects in, then by all means. Movie Maker only has one audio track, so you'll have to find a work around.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Truthordeal's post
05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: Abridged Challenge Spring 2012
[Image: challengeacceptedc.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Rebbie's post
05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
RE: Abridged Challenge #1 Spring 2012 - Truthordeal
I'm editing the OP as we go along to answer FAQ's. Feel free to ask any questions and we will come up with an answer.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Can we use MS Paint? :V
05-05-2012, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 08:35 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
FAQs should be on the bottom of the post, not the top. Shouldn't be the first thing people read.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
05-05-2012, 08:40 PM
(05-05-2012 08:34 PM)Rebbie Wrote:  Can we use MS Paint? :V

No. All editing must be done in the video editor.

05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
(05-05-2012 08:35 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  FAQs should be on the bottom of the post, not the top. Shouldn't be the first thing people read.

I originally told him to put the one big thing about groups at the top, but yeah. If it's going to turn into an FAQ, I agree.
05-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Interesting... I like this... Especially since Movie Maker and a crappy mic is all I have any way!

[Image: vGedH.gif]

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Are we able to use sound effects from the internet? OR do we have to make one up only on sound recorder?
05-05-2012, 10:01 PM
If you can fit the sound effects in, then by all means. Movie Maker only has one audio track, so you'll have to find a work around.

05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
dose it half to be anime or can it be any animation?
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 10:11 PM by Airrest.)
(05-05-2012 10:05 PM)vicegt Wrote:  dose it half to be anime or can it be any animation?

It should be a double dose of anime.

P.S. I'm just making fun of your typo. Truth has the real answer.
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
It can be live action, animation, video games, anime, newspaper(if you're creative), etc. It's all good bro.

05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'll go for this challenge.

[Image: BNsSig.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ZoidsBN0's post
05-05-2012, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 10:44 PM by OoziHobo.)
(05-05-2012 10:01 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  If you can fit the sound effects in, then by all means. Movie Maker only has one audio track, so you'll have to find a work around.

Render the video with just the dialogue, and then upload that video back into WMM to add sound effects or BGM with the now empty audio track.

Is that a way around?

[Image: quadgunlogoweb-1.jpg]
05-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Only one I can think of. But I'm being uncreative.

05-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha I like this contest idea, Truth.
I kinda wish that the video length HAS TO MATCH LK's 1st episode.
But in all seriousness, is there a minimum length?

05-05-2012, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 11:40 PM by Truthordeal.)
Nah, no minimum/maximum length. It could be twenty minutes and I'd still have to watch it. Just match the content with the time and try to do the best you can with that.

Obviously, use common sense; a 30 second troll video probably won't have much appeal, nor will a 15+ minute mammoth that I have to sit through.

05-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Thank you esteemed moderator, Truthordeal, for your words of advice. I give you a 8/10, the highest rating possible I can give you. for speaking the truth. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to learn this "Windows Movie Maker" program, because I am lost.

[+] 2 users Like ThroneofCipher's post
05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Make sure you enter goatphase before you rate me.

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)