New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Amazing Spider-Man
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 08:40 PM by Stephan.)
The Amazing Spider-Man
So, I just saw Amazing Spider-Man. The Raimi films don't even compare in my mind.

Of course, I much prefer Ultimate Comics Spider-Man to main line Spidey, which is probably a huge factor in why I like this movie so much. For me the Ultimate Spidey is the definitive one, and this is more along those lines. But there are still many factors backed up by reason as to why I like it better. The acting throughout the film blows every performance in the Raimi films(yes, even JK Simmons's) out of the water. The writing(despite some people's heavy criticisms), while not without it problems, is also far better than every single one of the Raimi scripts.

One problem I have is The Lizard speaking. There's really no reason for it. He talks very little, and when he does he never really says anything important. They could have just made him silent yet still visibly intelligent and it would have worked way better in my opinion.

The film very obviously was made with the expressed intention of being the first of a series. They've set up multiple plot points they can follow up in in the sequels(let's hope that if they get another writer they're able to pick up on all those points). For instance; the cross-species genetics. That can easily lead to run-ins with Scorpion, Rhino, etc. I hope they're used in the next film, but NOT as main villains. I think they'd be great sub-villains leading up to a big boss(Norman Osborn), but I don't see one of them being able to support a film of their own effectively. It'd really just be a waste in my opinion. Also, they're going to go for Green Goblin, but here's to hoping they go for the Ultimate version. The whole suit, flying board, and pumpkin bombs just won't work for this series. ESPECIALLY after the disaster he was in the Raimi film.

[spoiler=Also, potential spoiler here, read at your own risk]

They're going to kill Gwen. And if Green Goblin is the villain THAT'S where they'll do it. They've set it up, and they're going to take the opportunity to hit Peter(and the audience) right where it hurts. He's going to pay the price for not heeding Captain Stacy's warning.

Oh! And did anyone else think the mugger who screamed "I've seen your face!" Could possibly come back as Rhino or Scorpion or something? I dunno, I get that the scene was meant to set up the fact he needs to get a mask, but it seems like a good possible origin story for one of the sub-villains who I theorized about before. They never said his name, so he could be anybody.

I like that they pretty much had Aunt May figure out he's Spider-Man on her own. It could be a good lead up to a moment later when he makes this big show out of confessing that he's Spider-Man to her, and she just goes "I figured."
[/spoiler]

So yeah, those are my thoughts on Spider-Man at the moment. I may have more later, I dunno, this was just off of the top of my head.

What do you guys think? Reactions are very much split on this film, it seems.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
RE: The Amazing Spider-Man
I don't care how good or bad it is; if it has Spider-Man in the title, then I'll love it, case closed.

Obviously, I haven't seen it yet, but I've been looking forward to seeing if they make him the wise-cracking hero I've come to love from playing the video games, instead of him being just a plain "hero" as soon as he puts on the mask (from the original series with Toby McGuire)

Trained at the top of Mt Abrudged for 3 years; I'm back and more powerful than ever!
07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Just saw the film a few hours ago, but I'm definitely still going to stick to the original series.

[Image: petewave.gif]
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 02:36 PM by ZionProwlerKraze.)
I've not seen the movie yet, but I do wanna see it. And honesty, I'd rather watch this movie rather than the new Batman one.
Find all posts by this user
07-06-2012, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 02:42 PM by Stephan.)
(07-05-2012 08:14 AM)deathlymuffins Wrote:  Obviously, I haven't seen it yet, but I've been looking forward to seeing if they make him the wise-cracking hero I've come to love from playing the video games, instead of him being just a plain "hero" as soon as he puts on the mask (from the original series with Toby McGuire)

Yeah, that's one of my biggest issues with the Raimi films. He made Spider-Man bland as hell. Which matches up perfectly with the idea of him going for the older Spiderman comics rather than the newer ones where he's actually a unique character among superheroes(though, just to be clear, I am talking about Ultimate Spidey and pre-One More Day Spidey).

[+] 1 user Likes Stephan's post
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM
You know what the design of The Lizard reminds me of?
[Image: tumblr_m7bxwtml6y1ql5hc5.png]

[Image: tumblr_lw3wc3t4tr1qk758e.gif]
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChadVisionAbridged
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChelsieVision
[+] 2 users Like ChadVision's post
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm with Stephan on this one. I enjoyed Amazing Spider-man far more than any of the other films (and given I was actually one of the five people on the planet who actually sort-of liked Spider-man 3, that's saying something.)

[Image: vGedH.gif]

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
07-24-2012, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 01:00 AM by tantei.)
I just saw this as part of a triple feature right after the new batman movie, so I was probably harsh on spiderman, but I did not go in expect it to be good. I really enjoyed the first two thirds of the movie.... but that third act was horrible. the amount of suspension of disbelief needed for it to work was just to much for me to shallow and I don't have a problem with that generally, in fact I have far fewer problems with it then most people. maybe it has to do with me being a science major but the solution to the problem with mister lizard is just impossible. there was not enough time to do what they claimed to do. also characters would commonly flip motivations for little to no reason. I honestly think someone else wrote the last third of the movie. not as bad as spiderman three thought.
03-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Bit late to the party I know...

I watched this and the following week began and finished the videogame. The game continues the plot, a sort of Amazing Spider-Man 1.5. It does feature Rhino (and Scorpion), who we now know will be in Amazing 2 as well.

My biggest problem with this over the old trilogy is that Parker doesn't seem to care who knows he's Spidey. In the game, yet MORE people learn his identity. You can count the amount of heroes in the comics who know Peter is Spidey on a couple of hands (unless you count the Fantastic Four as one hero). There have been 3 or 4 villains who have ever learnt his identity (only one currently knows). Yet in an hour of movie, Gwen, her father and Connors all find out. At that rate, the next month of Spidey's career must have been FULL of people finding out who he is! Muggers, bank tellers, mailmen, anyone with powers...

Yes, several additional people knew Ultimate Parker was Ultimate Spider-Man, but not in the first 10 minutes of his career...

Also, Parker accidentally beating up 5 men in a subway car bugged me... And most of the score - too much like Loony Tunes in places...

It's not the worst Spidey movie and I did like The Lizard as the villain, but it's no Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

Your local authority on Transformers and comic books

Guyver the BioBoosted Abridged
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia

Iron Manime
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia
03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I also feel like I am one of the few people who enjoyed this Spiderman to the original series. I think with the original one it has a lot of nostalgia for some people.

I've always loved Spider-man, but I feel that this one was a lot better than the original ones that came out when I was 10. And I know that I would normally have some nostalgia to that considering my age.

I like this Spider-man a lot more. Peter seems more like a teenager or a normal kid, even when he gets his powers and decides to be Spider-man.

I know I would show off as well, I wouldn't want to admit it, but most people want to show the bully up.

Also, this movie has the added bonus of Emma Stone.

I also like the fact they brought in Gwen Stacy. I didn't think I'd approve at first, but I do.

I'm not too familiar with the comics and I feel ashamed to say that, but it is nice to see someone other than MJ.

These are my thoughts on that movie. I may have some bias on either side, nostalgia vs. Emma Stone.

I enjoyed both all of the movies, but to me this is my favorite. I do think it is getting unnecessary flak, when people say it is too soon for a reboot.
03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Quite a few people I have talked to about this movie say that they didn't like it much and some even out right hated it, mainly comparing it the three Raimi films. First of all, I think that while the comparison is inevitable, it is a totally different beast from those movies. I will say that overall I much preferred this version to Raimi's trilogy but I did enjoy those films in a different way. The cheesiness of the Raimi trilogy seemed to be at least somewhat intentional (I mean, this IS the man who brought us Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness after all) and in that respect I find the film entertaining, particularly the over the top performance of Willem Dafoe as Norman Osbourne/The Green Goblin. I do agree with Stephan though, that the acting in this film is much better overall. I feel Andrew Garfield did a way better job at playing both Spider-Man and Peter Parker, Tobey Macguire's version was too bland as Stephan said. There was also Martin Sheen who fit the part so well that I swear he WAS Uncle Ben. Rhys Ifans as Dr. Connors/Lizard was turned in a great sympathetic performance as well, although the character design of Lizard was kind of weak. The movie has it's problems but I think it's a very solid superhero film and my personal favorite iteration of Spider-Man on the silver screen. I personally can't wait for the sequel.
[+] 1 user Likes jpace92's post
03-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. I know that comparison is also inevitable. I do think it is a bit unfair to compare one movie to a trilogy I could understand a comparison of the first Raimi Spider-man movie and this one.

I also can't wait for the sequel myself. I am really excited for it. Also, Andrew I think did a better job with Spider-Man s a sarcastic superhero. I really loved the humor in this movie.
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I actually couldn't disagree with you guys more. I found this version of Spiderman far below the worst parts of the original trilogy. It was enjoyable, sure, but doesn't hold a candle to the original films.

Garfield's Spiderman was too hard to believe. Constantly revealing his identity, jock-like attitude with nerdish knowledge, depth of a kiddie pool, and just not identifiable with Peter Parker. Tobey Maguire, despite his faults, truly felt like Peter Parker, even if he was too wimpy sometimes when out-of-costume. His character development didn't feel forced. And he didn't have aspects that contrasted with each other (for instance, Garfield's voice and attitude just didn't match).

Emma Stone was fine as Gwen. No complaints there. Her dad's hatred of Spiderman (and his opinion changing) was not fleshed out enough.

Screw the design for the Lizard. That wasn't a lizard. That was..... bad. Whatever it was. And in general I found Connors to be unlikeable, even outside of his madness. I loved Connors in the 90s cartoon.... Tragic, nice dude... Horrible flaw that he can't control.

I'll keep watching, but I'm not impressed at all. Hope they don't screw up the Goblin.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
03-16-2013, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 06:32 PM by LightningCrabz.)
(03-16-2013 03:36 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  Garfield's Spiderman was too hard to believe. Constantly revealing his identity, jock-like attitude with nerdish knowledge, depth of a kiddie pool, and just not identifiable with Peter Parker. Tobey Maguire, despite his faults, truly felt like Peter Parker, even if he was too wimpy sometimes when out-of-costume. His character development didn't feel forced. And he didn't have aspects that contrasted with each other (for instance, Garfield's voice and attitude just didn't match).

I liked this movie over the Raimi trilogy for many of the reasons that have been mentioned above, but I gotta agree completely about Garfield's Spiderman. Before I saw it, everyone kept telling me Garfield's Peter is such a likeable, relatable character, but I feel like it was quite the opposite.

I get that Peter Parker is supposed to be a nerd, but Jesus, he could barely form half his sentences. And was that whole stuttering while waving his arms around while talking to anyone supposed to come off as shyness? I just wanted someone to punch him in the face half the time. There's a difference between being shy and being over-the-top awkward, and I feel like Tobey had a much better mix going.

And yeah, I think tragic 90's Dr.Connors works a lot better than evil mad scientist Dr.Connors. I don't read the comics though, so I don't know which one is more accurate.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Call me silly, but I don't care what's more accurate, I care what works the best.

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
03-17-2013, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 09:51 AM by DrMircow.)
I'm unmistakably sure the design of the Lizard is directly based on the original design shown in The Amazing Spider-Man #6. That's about the only time he had no snout and generally had somewhat average storylines.

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: spidey6.jpeg?w=538&h=762]

Basically anything before the '80s, I didn't care about the Lizard. As far as the Ultimate universe is concerned, from what I can remember, he only appearead in flashbacks and his story is pretty much the same as the '90s version. So the film didn't do much in terms of a different approach here apart from borrowing a few back-story elements and maybe characterising Dr. Connors as a mad-scientist.

Generally, I didn't like the Lizard nor Parker in this film. 1Kids got it right, Parker's traits were forced. All that teenage angst and so on was overboard at times to a point where I was like "Yes, I get it"; and thinking that people complained about the corny emo-looking Parker in Spider-Man 3. His 616-Earth counterpart wasn't that "bitchy" nor a jerk when at high school, except when Flash Thompson would continue calling him "puny Parker". Even then, Parker would only 'beat' Thompson with his wittiness. Plus, there were so many cringe-worthy moments Parker did in this film that bewildered me. Best example was his name on the photo camera; all in bold capital letters. Really? What a great silly plot device(!) The point is that Parker dressed as Spider-Man was uncannily smart in the comic books, even during fights, and such mistake is unacceptable by his standards.

Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy was about the only thing close to perfection in here. Her role was more or less spot on.

This was a "darker" Spider-Man film, but I'm unsure if that would make Spider-Man as a film better or make us feel more sympathetic for our angsty friendly neighbourhood web-head. In that sense then, Spider-Man 2 did a far better job, if not the best, without this dark tone.

For entertainment values, I would definitely recommend this film to any superhero lover. As a Spider-Man film, not even a chance. But maybe to not look so close-minded, I would definitely say it's passable.

See, people wouldn't make comparisons to the original trilogy if the franchise wasn't rebooted so early. Fantastic Four has a reason to be rebooted now, because the two films were so rubbish I needed to take a shower. But Sony had a license to fulfill and they were forced to make another Spider-Man film very soon, otherwise they would lose it. Though, Marvel Studios acquiring the license would've made things a lot more interesting.

Like I said months ago, as of now, I still favour the original trilogy even if their flaws are due to age (ie. outdated films). Regardless of those flaws, the true spirit of Spider-Man was captured exceptionally well in them.

[Image: petewave.gif]
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
As others have said, Garfields Spider-Man was better than his Peter Parker. He was more Spidey-like in attitude and I never once wanted to punch him. However, his Parker was quite douchey, even before he got his powers. "Hey, I know, this is a restricted area, I will go inside and not bother looking around until I walk into something or something lands on me."

Without comparing it to the entire original trilogy, as an origin story this was a better choice of villain and love interest, but a worse everything else. I hope Gwen is not killed in the next movie. In the comics, Mary-Jane was introduced before Gwen died, so I hope they go that route rather than them hooking up in this sequel.

Your local authority on Transformers and comic books

Guyver the BioBoosted Abridged
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia

Iron Manime
YouTube
Abridged Series Wikia

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)