New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Abridging, Need a Place to Start
07-13-2017, 05:05 PM
New to Abridging, Need a Place to Start
Hey there, I'm very new to Abridging. I've watched a lot of people doing it for many years and thought it'd be fun to do, but I'm pretty sure I started wrong.

See, first I found the anime I wanted to abridge, which was a 1970's hidden gem called Takarajima, or, Treasure Island. I watched the first episode and then I muted it and watched it again, improving all the dialogue myself and seeing what jokes spilled out of my mouth. I made a script for the ENTIRE episode, all 23 minutes. All the dialogue I scripted worked with the lip flaps already animated. This isn't how anyone else seems to be doing it but it seemed like a good place to start. Now I have a whole 23 minute episode scripted, and don't know what to do.

Do I cut the script down to 10 minutes, keeping only the funniest stuff? Or do I pull a "Ghost Stories" and just abridge the entire series, no cut footage. The latter seems like an interesting concept that I might want to pursue.

Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2017, 09:36 PM
RE: New to Abridging, Need a Place to Start
That sounds new and interesting, I'd say go for it.

Editor for all of An Untitled Abridger.
Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
[+] 1 user Likes ToNi's post
07-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks! I'm already casting voices and decided to stick it out and make all 23 minutes!

*probably overused ironic "insert signature here" joke*
07-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Two problems.

First, if you don't edit the video significantly, you'll land in copyright issues. There's a lot of hullabaloo over what counts as "Fair Use" and your idea is barely passable, maybe.

Second, the only YouTubers able to get away with uploading videos longer than 10 minutes are already popular. Since you're new to this, you have to gain people's trust. Cut it to 10.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2017, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 05:44 AM by ToNi.)
(07-17-2017 03:06 PM)Anax Wrote:  Second, the only YouTubers able to get away with uploading videos longer than 10 minutes are already popular. Since you're new to this, you have to gain people's trust. Cut it to 10.
That's fucking stupid and makes no sense. On top of which you're thinking wrongheadedly, and furthermore you're literally wrong.

The trend to shorter videos was an early YouTube thing and has since expanded outward significantly.

The idea that "only popular people can get away with long videos" I assume you just pulled out of your ass, because I've literally never heard anyone anywhere make such a claim.
And that claim is wrongheaded because like, what, this new abridger is just supposed to gain popularity before doing what they want to do? Is that the advice you're going to give them? I'd rather tell them that popularity is almost impossible to gain--it's also not true, but it's at least less bullshit.

You just waltz in here upon seeing fresh meat and go, "yo, you're thinking outside the box. Quit that, put your head back inside that box." Literally fuck off.

God. My best advice, Maladeth, is to make something that YOU want to make and ignore all the bullshit politics of youtubery. My second best advice is to track down the abridging discord if you want to integrate with the community and immediately abandon this forum.

Editor for all of An Untitled Abridger.
Check out The Advent of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only abridged series that has ever been updated daily.
07-22-2017, 10:48 AM
You see enough new abridgers post 10+ minute videos that waste 70% of the viewers' time, you grow a bias against anyone who doesn't look like they've trimmed their fat. I'll be the last person to tell someone else they cannot do something. Maladeth is perfectly free to prove me wrong. In my mind, they have a tall mountain to climb first.

Some examples that prove my point:

All of those needed trimming, but why bother when they've got hundreds of thousands to millions of subs? They gobble it up without question. Us noobs have to prove ourselves with a little, before we can prove ourselves with a lot. I didn't do Ninja 'Scridged till after 25 episodes of Abridgelion. Remember #TIBA this time last year? Participants were required to keep their vid shorter than 10 minutes, and make the judges laugh at least once in the first 30 seconds. Those are great rules.

An "elevator pitch" is a 60-second attempt to convince an investor (the viewer) to support (watch) their idea (video). Episodes don't have to be under a minute, of course. Just don't waste people's time.

You are what you put your time into.

My Series: https://www.youtube.com/user/Abridgelion

E-mail: anaxofrhodes@gmail.com (or Abridgelion@gmail.com )
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnaxofRhodes/

Spoiler(Show)
[Image: 252ce5d1fb2620570990fc35cff72412.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)