New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Religion
08-29-2012, 01:30 AM
RE: Religion
Me personally I think god and religion don't mix

From what I've seen Religion seems like a institution of control, created by people who want to use peoples spirituality and beliefs to profit in some way whether it be for power, money, or self validation.

True not all religious institutions are corrupt but they do tend to manipulate peoples views and beliefs of god based on their own interpretations. Even going so far as to say that having free will and interpreting the bible in your own way is incorrect.

I think that god made humanity as a grand experiment to be observed not controlled.

That's why I think god and religion don't mix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2012, 05:35 AM
ding dong, Jehovah witness here, WHO WANTS TO SWAP?

Go see Age of Inside Out.
08-29-2012, 05:50 AM
(08-29-2012 01:30 AM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  Me personally I think god and religion don't mix

From what I've seen Religion seems like a institution of control, created by people who want to use peoples spirituality and beliefs to profit in some way whether it be for power, money, or self validation.

True not all religious institutions are corrupt but they do tend to manipulate peoples views and beliefs of god based on their own interpretations. Even going so far as to say that having free will and interpreting the bible in your own way is incorrect.

I think that god made humanity as a grand experiment to be observed not controlled.

Got any evidence? For any of that?

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
~A scholar beyond his time

[10:10:35 PM] Airrest (Eric): YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2012, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 08:05 AM by Jeremymakesmahtoast.)
(08-29-2012 05:50 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 01:30 AM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  Me personally I think god and religion don't mix

Got any evidence? For any of that?

The Local Baptist church uses its influance over the local politicans and prominat family of the area to affect local policey over things such as the sale of liqour in bars andbuildign a mega church in the center of town.

the underlied text above was the key lesson in this years Easter serman

everything else is opinion and theory not the quilifiers in bold.
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
(08-29-2012 01:30 AM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  I think that god made humanity as a grand experiment to be observed not controlled.

Got any evidence?

Chances are, if you're reading this, it's after reading a ridiculously long post by me, something harshly phrased or confrontational, and/or me being stupid. I want to apologize for my above post, and end this signature with a quote of wisdom to soothe your soul.

"Ho ho..hoho hoho..santa for the wondering thismust be a joke in your series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

08-29-2012, 10:11 AM
(08-29-2012 09:41 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 01:30 AM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  I think that god made humanity as a grand experiment to be observed not controlled.

Got any evidence?
I did not present that statement as a fact
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremymakesmahtoast's post
08-29-2012, 12:55 PM
(08-29-2012 10:11 AM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 09:41 AM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  

Got any evidence?
I did not present that statement as a fact

Why have an opinion that isn't based on facts?

[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
08-29-2012, 03:21 PM
why ask a question you already know the answer to? why try and solve a mystery that has already been solved?
08-29-2012, 03:43 PM
(08-29-2012 03:21 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  why ask a question you already know the answer to? why try and solve a mystery that has already been solved?

I think what 1Kids is asking, is on what basis do you assert this:

Quote:I think that god made humanity as a grand experiment to be observed not controlled.

What makes you think this?
08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
based on the observation that people tend to live their lives based on individual experiences and develop a sense of right or wrong based on these experiences. Not on a divine controlling force that moves people around like chess pieces.
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I think what Chrome and 1Kids are specifically trying to ask you is "where does God fit in there?"

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
08-29-2012, 06:16 PM
(08-29-2012 03:56 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  based on the observation that people tend to live their lives based on individual experiences and develop a sense of right or wrong based on these experiences. Not on a divine controlling force that moves people around like chess pieces.

God is not necessary for that observation to make sense bro.

Why are you inserting a god where it doesn't belong?

08-29-2012, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 07:05 PM by Jeremymakesmahtoast.)
(08-29-2012 06:16 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 03:56 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  based on the observation that people tend to live their lives based on individual experiences and develop a sense of right or wrong based on these experiences. Not on a divine controlling force that moves people around like chess pieces.

Because the Priest at the local Methodist church said that in order to be devoted to god you have to let him guide your every action to the point that you no long her have free will. I don't believe that is true based on the observation I made

(08-29-2012 06:16 PM)1KidsEntertainment Wrote:  

Because the Priest at the local Methodist church said that in order to be devoted to god you have to let him guide your every action to the point that you no long her have free will. I don't believe that is true based on the observation I made
08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Your observation makes sense, dude, it really does. By why is there a god even involved in your observation?

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
08-29-2012, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 07:43 PM by Jeremymakesmahtoast.)
because I don't think this particular pasture at my church was correct about gods involvement in peoples lives.

anymore questions? ...
08-29-2012, 07:53 PM
You haven't answered the original question. I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

You are asserting that, in your belief system, God does not influence people's lives and that your Methodist pastor was wrong. You say you think he's wrong because of observations of people living with morality without being told to. That makes sense; people have free will.

But they're asking, why do you think God is even a part of this equation? Why do you think that God exists? And if you think he is not personally controlling people's lives, what evidence have you seen or experience that leads you to believe there is a God?

[+] 1 user Likes Truthordeal's post
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
because I have faith Psychotic Grin

fossil record indicates that spices simply appeared at a given point. The planet happens to be in the exact proximity of the sun to support life. Nature functions in a system that constantly perpetuates it's self. Things like that lead me to think that life isn't coincidental.

Stuff like that but I'm not trying to tell you what to think I'm just throwing my two cents in, if you would like to give me my change back we can call it a day.
08-29-2012, 08:52 PM
(08-29-2012 08:22 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  fossil record indicates that spices simply appeared at a given point. The planet happens to be in the exact proximity of the sun to support life. Nature functions in a system that constantly perpetuates it's self. Things like that lead me to think that life isn't coincidental.

What does saying "god made it" actually answer though? Is it not just a manifestation of our human desire to place "purpose" on everything? The universe need not have an objective purpose, but if it does, how does invoking god actually bring us closer to understanding that purpose? Like I said earlier, it's just giving a label to a complete non-answer.
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 09:01 PM by 1KidsEntertainment.)
(08-29-2012 08:22 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  because I have faith Psychotic Grin

Why? How is that a good thing? In any way?

(08-29-2012 08:22 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  fossil record indicates that spices simply appeared at a given point. The planet happens to be in the exact proximity of the sun to support life. Nature functions in a system that constantly perpetuates it's self. Things like that lead me to think that life isn't coincidental.

Oh my god it's like straight out of a creationism textbook. Do you live in the south? It wouldn't surprise me.

Simply stated: No. You're incorrect. On all of that. Do some research. There is no evidence whatsoever that indicates that species just appear suddenly. In fact, even if they did, how would you know that it wasn't proof of aliens, rather than God? Sure, it'd be a phenomena that you don't know the answer to, but asserting that the default answer is "God did it" is called "argument from ignorance", and it's full of BS.

The planet is in the exact proximity of the sun? Sure, but how else could we be here? We wouldn't be here to ponder that fact if the Earth was a different distance from the sun. Plus, the "perfect" distance is actually a "zone", and not a specific distance. It's highly probable that out of all of the stars, solar systems, galaxies, etc. in this universe that there would be MANY planets revolving around a star within this zone. This is not proof of a god, and it's not even improbable. It's like saying that anything existing in nature is proof of god because it exists in nature. Circular logic.

But even if it WAS significantly improbable for us to be here right now... How is this proof of a God? How is this proof of ANYTHING other than "I don't know"?

We live in a world where we know so much that we are blinded to the fact that our ENTIRE knowledge base has been built from the ground up. People had to figure out how to make a wheel. People had to figure out how to make clothes. People had to figure out EVERYTHING that we know. If we had been content all along with "God" as the explanation for everything, we would still be a primitive species. Or even an extinct species.

You need EVIDENCE before believing something. There is evidence that math works; this has demonstrable benefits to society, for instance, the building you're in right now, the computer you're using, the unnatural lights you're seeing, the cars people drive, etc. So before you can say "God must be the reason we're here," you need EVIDENCE to support that. Proof. Just like anything else you require evidence for in your life.

I already linked these videos in the thread, but I'll repost them, since you clearly need to see them.

Either way here, you're wrong.

(08-29-2012 08:22 PM)Jeremymakesmahtoast Wrote:  Stuff like that but I'm not trying to tell you what to think I'm just throwing my two cents in, if you would like to give me my change back we can call it a day.

You came into a thread about religion to talk about religion. If you don't want to post here, be my guest, but don't be critical of people here for questioning your beliefs that you so boldly state as facts without a second thought.

[+] 1 user Likes 1KidsEntertainment's post
08-29-2012, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 09:35 PM by Truthordeal.)
I concede to your argument
[Image: ptg01670992.jpg]

you seem very dedicated to these issues and I commend you for it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)